So why didn't you buy Valkyria Chronicles 4?

Oct 30, 2017
But I did, at launch... and beat it :O)
I do have to admit the game loses steam FAST 3/4 into it. I beat it out of inertia but the final boss of VC1 was way cooler and just overall the last missions in VC1 were consistently great, while VC4's were the worst in the game. Which is a shame really - I liked it.
Yeah, the pacing was kinda weird. They wanted to redeem some of the villains but this results in the those scarier villains being defeated leaving the weird normal humans as endgame.
How are the DLCs? Thinking of picking up a few
I liked Captainless Squad for giving adventures to some of the less used members but the in-game squad missions already satisfied that feeling.

Squad 7 DLC is almost purely fanservice as the units are just ok.

The Valkyria DLC is alright if you like Selveria and Crymaria but I’m not a fan of the maps attached to them, which serve mostly as showcases for how awesome the Valkyria units are. ... also not a fan of the characters but if you are, it’s got a bunch of scenes.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess you should’ve played it to see that was a character really early on in his arc who eventually realized he was an asshole and changed for the better. But nah, it’s way easier to feign outrage and cry about something when you just saw an out of context screenshot, huh? Am I right, my man?
Or maybe they feel that somone going from "I'm gonna grab this chick's ass" to "It's bad to grab this chick's ass" is a pretty terrible "arc". Not to mention someone in the military acting like that would be unacceptable.

OP
OP
DJwest
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's a Visual Novel from 2008 (and got a Famitsu 40/40), that really likes to jump between wacky comedy (kinda like he live action Nodame Cantabile) and a gripping thriller. Fantasic music (no voices), with a translation edited by Alexander O. Smith of FF12 fame.
I believe there's a demo on the US PSN. Not sure about the pc port.
It's £45 on UK PSN! I'll wait for a sale but I'll definitely pick it up

Oct 25, 2017
Guess you should’ve played it to see that was a character really early on in his arc who eventually realized he was an asshole and changed for the better. But nah, it’s way easier to feign outrage and cry about something when you just
Awesome, another one for my ignore list.

Men like you are why women are afraid to speak out on this site and on the Internet in general.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I was planning to but by the time it came out the release was sandwiched between a lot of other games I was playing and I knew I wouldn't have time for it. Then some time later I found I had a growing backlog and I didn't really want to play it immediately. Then I realized I didn't really need to play a new VC immediately. At this point I'm waiting for it to be 20 bucks or less. I guess the idea of a big console retread of VC1 isn't that appealing to me after all. Maybe it's because I played the PSP ones too?

Oct 31, 2017
Guess you should’ve played it to see that was a character really early on in his arc who eventually realized he was an asshole and changed for the better. But nah, it’s way easier to feign outrage and cry about something when you just saw an out of context screenshot, huh? Am I right, my man?
Here is a better solution, don't include sexist and sexual assault in s game. There was absolutely no reason to.

So obviously they don't my money.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty generous read of the overall development and even if did go that way, this world has too many good things to experience that I'd waste my time on yet another Japanese game treating sexual harassment in professional, serious settings in a jokey manner.

+ that is not the only way the game treats its female characters in a tired, sexist manner.

Oct 25, 2017
very good game. should be part of any goty list.

hard to get proper sales without a big marketing campaign these days. just be grateful they found a way to make it. i think japan can carry if they keep buying merch.

Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe they feel that somone going from "I'm gonna grab this chick's ass" to "It's bad to grab this chick's ass" is a pretty terrible "arc". Not to mention someone in the military acting like that would be unacceptable.
The idea that it's interesting to watch a shitty man learn how to behave like a human being is so tired. Meeting the bare minimum requirements for human interaction shouldn't be considered growth and it's not intriguing. As a woman, it's literally a thing I have no choice but to encounter in my actual life, I'm not looking for it in my entertainment products, especially if I have to invest tons of hours into the "growth" of some mediocre dude. As someone who was looking forward to the game, the fan service and "sexism is just jokes" tone was a huge letdown.

My backlog is just way too big to bother with things that are going to actively annoy me for a stretch of their runtime.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy it because VC1 and VC2 are still in my backlog lol. Will probably get around to buying 4 when it hits a $10 or so sale, or sometime towards the end of the next console generation :-P

I picked up VC4, since I am a fan of the original PS3 game and the developers (whom made Skies of Arcadia). While I enjoy VC4’s tactical gameplay, visuals, and cast; VC4 does feel dated at times with its unevolved game mechanics and overused anime cliches in it’s visual novel styled story segments. Tactical RPG games and visual novel games have come a long way yet VC4 seems content adhering closely to the original’s blueprint.

Thankful this entry in the series came to the PC day and date with the PS4 version in good form. Keep’em coming Sega!

Jan 16, 2018
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissing sexism concerns + Antagonizing other users. Long history of infractions.
How are the DLCs? Thinking of picking up a few
they're fun! they super nerfed Valkyria 1's squads though haha, Alicia has been brought down from Boken-God-That-Can-Solo-EndGame-Maps to a mere scout
didn't play The Two Valkyrias though, I liked Selvaria but the game overstays its welcome and you kinda need a break after playing it for a long time
Sexist, misogynist bullshit. 100%. Would have bought it otherwise as I loved the first game.
oh god lol, jesus christ

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed VC1, but at release, I was caught up in other games IIRC. And I also saw that "I'd swab her deck" line/thread around that time, or prior to release as well.

That pretty much killed most of my interest. My tolerance these days for dumb sexist shit like that is fairly low.

Mar 8, 2018
Chrono.gg had it on sale so I couldn’t pass it up. I wish I’d had gotten it on Switch instead. A battle strategy game like that seems better tailored for it. I’ve been clearing out my backlog so I’ll eventually get back to it, anime tropes and all.

Oct 27, 2017
I did. Just finished the main story, im now playing the post game content for the plat. I Loved it, gameplay i find it even better than the 1st one with a new infantry class and a new type of vehicle. But i liked more the main characters and valkyrias from the 1st one.

Oct 25, 2017
there are a crap ton of quality games and not enough money and time to play them. so that is why. Also, I have never played or heard of the series, soooo that played a role.

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the demo, it didn't feel like enough of an evolution from the first game. To me, Valkyria Chronicles gameplay held up because of its novelty. The AI was dumb and everything was scouts and headshots, but it was easy to ignore the flaws because of how fresh everything felt. In the 10 years between VC1 and VC4, I had probably beaten VC1 3 times and watched my wife beat it once. By the fourth time, things become stale and the exploitable gameplay mechanics become more noticeable. I had every intention of picking up VC4, but the demo actually unsold me. I may pick it up when it is cheaper and VC1 isn't as fresh in my mind, and I suspect I'll enjoy it too, but I guess I was just expecting a larger improvement during the timegap between the two games.

Oct 28, 2017
I did. I'm playing it and enjoying it a lot.

With that said, I hope there are more turn-based strategy games around. I love time sinkers like these since I tend to be min-max type of guy for these games.