• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the day, it's Valkyria Chronicles that made me buy a PS3 and boy did that game deliver. Just got the platinum for VC4 and I must say that apart from a disappointing last boss, it totally lived up to the first game's excellent quality. There is a ton a content (18 main story chapters, 17 squad stories and 22 skirmishes) and the new additions like ship orders, direct commands and the grenadier class change the dynamics of the gameplay.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been positively received by critics (84 Metacritic) but it seems that even though it was released on 4 platforms, it bombed at retail. RIP Valkyria Chronicles

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Because i can't justify buying a game that's either full price or close to it.

Zeranium

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it day one

but still haven't played it
That's like half the battle there, right?

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did (when it was 50%) but I haven't actually started to play it (started a witcher 3 replay instead and currently going through HOTS and B&W)

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Because it came out in the middle of me playing spiderman, and by the time i could buy it, red dead came out

Although that reminds me i need to grab it.

Also 30fps on ps4 is a bit of a joke tbh

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
84 metacritic or not, VC as a strategy RPG (assuming it's like the first one, didn't play 4) is a fairly niche game. I don't remember the first one exactly lighting the sales charts on fire on PS3 either. Never even saw 2 or 3 on shelves.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I did. It's a fantastic SRPG.

If they'd just removed the few examples of pointless fanservice, there wouldn't be many flaws to hold against it.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
It got sandwiched between big releases but I got my copy. Shame that it's available on everything but didn't chart well.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
liked the demo, ended up buying valkyria chronicles 1 because i hadn't played it and a lot of talk online seemed to indicate they were very similar. i've enjoyed most of what i played of vc1, but the later battles in the second half of the game just started to turn into an absolute slog so i dropped it. figured the same thing would happen to me with vc4, so i kind of forgot about it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I haven't played 2 or 3 since I can't get them on Steam. I would have played them and stayed invested but since they aren't out on PC that option is nixed and I feel weird jumping from 1 to 4 regardless of the continuity. I like to see how franchises evolve and it always bugs me when that isn't possible.

I wished they would port them when 4 released but, it was a pipe dream. Nothing I hate more than when a series is split up like that.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Because I played the original and it was strictly mediocre.

Also my tolerance for anime bullshit is low. There is no shortage of better games to provide my tactical turn-based fix without me having to sit through hours of shit dialogue and Titty-chan's hotspring upskirt episode.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I tried the first one, found it nice but ultimately I wasn't a huge fan. The gameplay was innovative, but I wasn't super engaged in any of the missions I played, and the story and character felt a tad derivative. I didn't hate it, but I can't say I felt the urge to play it over anything else I own.
I contemplated trying 4, but after watching some gameplay I figured that I probably won't like this one much better. Might still get it if it's on a sale eventually, since tastes do change.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did and I wish I hadn't. Story is stupid, the characters are annoying, and it's just too anime for what I'm looking for. Frankly, my expectations are way higher than they were when Valkyria Chronicles first came out.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It got sandwiched between big releases but I got my copy. Shame that it's available on everything but didn't chart well.

Ultimately this was the problem. The game dropped in the same month as Spider-Man and Dragon Quest XI. The following month was Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2. Like, it was 5th on the list of things just in that two month time span.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I did.

When it was on sale for half off.

Then I used my Gold Points to take another $10 off.

But I still haven't played it yet though.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
You want the sad and brutal truth? Not enough marketing to convince me to get it in a timely fashion and now that ship has sailed.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played 2 or 3 since I can't get them on Steam. I would have played them and stayed invested but since they aren't out on PC that option is nixed and I feel weird jumping from 1 to 4 regardless of the continuity.

I wished they would port them when 4 released but, it was a pipe dream. Nothing I hate more than when a series is split up like that.
They're stand alone titles with small nods. It's not necessary to play them all so VC4 is as good an entry point as any.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 1 and could get myself to finish it. Scenarios felt too reliant on trial and error in some cases - it was wasting my time.

I might come back and give 4 a try if it's a more refined product.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Because I could never figure out how to play Valkyria Chronicles 1

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Busy with DQXI and later other games. Waiting on a good sale on PC now.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because it became a mistake.

Like all strategy RPGs are apparently becoming.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Haven't had time, so there's no point in buying it at the moment. I will at sone point, just not right now.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just not into these kinds of games I guess? I bought Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 a long-ass time ago and while I liked it at first, I didn't like it enough to actually finish it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It released next to everything that month. However I regret getting Spidey and DQXI over it.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Few reasons

Huge backlog

Never completed Valkyria 1 on ps3
But really liked it - so chose the recent switch port first (which I still need to put time into)

Numbers 2 & 3 seem lost to current systems

4 was full price and the only thing that can get me to pay full price day 1 in recent years were BOW, God of War PS4 and kingdom hearts 3

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Price matched it to Amazon's price at my local Best Buy about a month ago at ~26USD.

Didn't buy at launch or at full price, and honestly haven't even played it yet -- picked it up because it was on my radar for a later pickup and I didn't anticipate the price going any lower, so went to grab it while I perceived I could for the price. To my knowledge, it has only even gone down a few more dollars, at least temporarily, as recently as last week.

I need to finish Kingdom Hearts 3 and Ace Combat 7 and I'm still playing a ton of Resident Evil 2... But once some time clears, it's next up. I don't think that'll happen until April -- going to get DMC5 and Sekiro in March... lol

Anyway, I look forward to eventually visiting the game.

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Because i can't justify buying a game that's either full price or close to it.
Fair enough. It's a great game though, hope you try it eventually
84 metacritic or not, VC as a strategy RPG (assuming it's like the first one, didn't play 4) is a fairly niche game. I don't remember the first one exactly lighting the sales charts on fire on PS3 either. Never even saw 2 or 3 on shelves.
True, VC1 didn't sell very well. You never saw 2-3 on shelves because they were PSP exclusive and 3 never made it out of Japan.
Wasnt that game sexist? I remember a large thread on this.
There is one stupid character who gets much better by the second half of the game. I understand why people would be grossed out at the beginning of the game though
I haven't played 1-3
No need to play them even though you should try VC1 Remastered
True, release window sucked
Cause unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees and I can only afford most games if they're on sale :(
sorry man
Tried the demo and it didn't grab me. I haven't played any other games in the series.
I didn't even know there was a demo. Fair of you didn't like it though
Because I played the original and it was strictly mediocre.

Also my tolerance for anime bullshit is low. There is no shortage of better games to provide my tactical turn-based fix without me having to sit through hours of shit dialogue and Titty-chan's hotspring upskirt episode.
Damn, who hurt you?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Sexist, misogynist bullshit. 100%. Would have bought it otherwise as I loved the first game.