• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like anime style games, so I skipped it even though I generally enjoy strategy games. I also don't care for anime fanservice nonsense, and I read on this forum that this game suffers from that, so I tend to vote with my wallet on that stuff.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a culprit and a failure. As someone who was hyped for it, I decided to play VC1 from the beginning. By the end of the game, I was so burned out that I couldn't justify a day one purchase. I intend on getting to it, but I've failed you all.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Cuz I didn't finish the first one and it wasn't in the cards financially. Didn't help that they seem to have doubled down on the creepy anime scenes since the first one.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't know, it just didn't feel like a game I HAD to play.

I might get it for cheap on PC, eventually.

Also I like the first one but some of the missions in that game sucked and I dunno if this game does a better job in that regard.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Played the demo for Switch. Seems like a a solid game is locked behind..... Tutorials. At the end of the demo I was so annoyed by all the gameplay interruptions due to their self explaining tutorials, I turned off the demo at the first try. But also the story, it's typical Anime 101. Finished the demo the second time I turned it on. Like I said, it's solid, but heavily outdated in the game mechanics. Azure Revoultion is hated among the community, but I think it's superior.

I didn't buy the game because I wasn't going to support a game that had a major sexism problem.

Care to explain what's the exact problem here?

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Bought it day one. But I found that many of the missions took way too long to complete. I want to be able to complete basically any/all battles within 30 minutes.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge strategy RPG fan. And while I am a fan of the Valkyria aesthetic, there were just too many other games coming out at the time.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I played VC1 a few years ago on the PS3 and absolutely loved it.... until I got to the desert stage where this super-crazy boss lady and her minions appear in the middle of the fight and wiped out my squad with ease.

I replayed it a few times and eventually realized that skill and decent, general strats wouldn't beat her. It required that I know specifically when, where and how she and her goons would come at me in order to prepare in advance the "right" way to win. That is when I quit the game for good, and haven't played any game in the series since.

I heard VC4 has similar fights like that, so I won't even bother. I guess it comes down to my idea of fairness for these type of games.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I bought it digitally, and not exactly at launch.

I played VC1 a few years ago on the PS3 and absolutely loved it.... until I got to the desert stage where this super-crazy boss lady and her minions appear in the middle of the fight and wiped out my squad with ease.

I replayed it a few times and eventually realized that skill and decent, general strats wouldn't beat her. It required that I know specifically when, where and how she and her goons would come at me in order to prepare in advance the "right" way and win. That is when I quit the game for good, and haven't played any game in the series since.

That was a crappy battle, yes, and not the last of its kind either. Still, there were plenty of good ones as well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Released in a busy time, I went with Spidey instead as I wanted it more after all the praise, by the time I was done with Spidey we was in RDR2 land, which lasted awhile for me and at that point might as well wait for a good sale.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
going thru backlog now - KH3, RDR2, Yakuza 2, a few others - but also I've never played a Valkyria Chronicles game and honestly get the Tales... series and Valk mixed up a bit. Jumping in at #4 seems a bit weird too, although I'm sure they are all seperate or whatever so it doesn't matter.

I recently finished Nier Automata and absolutely loved it, loving Yakuza 0, 1, 6, and 2 so I'm really lttp on japanese games but I'm sure I'll enjoy Dragon Quest XI and Valk, just gotta get to them eventually.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I would have due to the high praise the series has gotten on here but I honestly don't like tactical RPG games. The genre just bores me to tears :(

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I did.

It's more of the same of the first game. While the first game is constantly being sold as pretty cheap, I guess it's reasonable if people are reluctant to buy 4 as soon as possible.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
I would have, but I was swamped with games at the time, and I still am, so it'll have to wait. A shame, since I loved the first game.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I got stuck on some mission in the first game, strategy games aren't my thing apparently.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
But I did, at launch... and beat it :O)
I do have to admit the game loses steam FAST 3/4 into it. I beat it out of inertia but the final boss of VC1 was way cooler and just overall the last missions in VC1 were consistently great, while VC4's were the worst in the game. Which is a shame really - I liked it.
e616f5a6012f07efa7f301a76cdd6b18.png

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Release timing. They could've had the PS4 version out over here much sooner if they hadn't decided to wait around until every other version was finished development. At that point, I put it on my christmas wish list and didn't get it. Instead I got 2 actual rpgs as gifts, plus I was and still am playing through another at the moment. I'll get VC4 when I have time for it bascially, but stuffs I already got takes priority.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Whats the fps on switch?
Planning to buy but been planning and saving for a move thats happening this month so i cut back on games.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Saw that sexism thing and cringed. I don't remember that in VC1, only played half the game though.

And I guess the other thing is I didn't finish VC1 and have it on PS3 and PC. I feel like I should finish that first.

I think it bombed because hardly anyone played VC2 and virtually zero people played VCIII as it was Japanese only and not everyone was going to mod in the fan translation.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I still haven't beaten Remastered, and plan to grab it once I do. But I love that game, despite playing it at a speed of like a chapter every three months.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I was hyped but the demo and reviews drove home the fact for me that this should've been a sequel released around 2009-2011. The PSP games kept disappointing me thru the years and I feel like this is just too late to return from without bigger/successful changes.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Like others in this thread, that sexism part where he slaps her butt was a huge flag for me. I love the series but I can't support that.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I consider the PS3 game to be one of the greatest rpgs of all time. Played the demo of VC4 and even though it gave me what I wanted as far as carrying on the spirit of the original VC, it didn't feel that new or different either. Plus, I didn't care for the characters they presented. Releasing it around the timeframe of other titles I was playing didn't help either.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
My backlog is tremendous, I recently got DQXI and Spider-Man, and then got God of War. I still plan to play the game as I loved VC1 (both on PS3 and even more on PC), but I probably won't get it till some time this Spring.

It's pretty much the same reason I haven't gotten Tales of Vesperia. It's my favorite Tales Of game, but fairly high price plus the fact that I went through the PS3 version and the backlog situation above ensured that it will be pushed off.

And now in February, Crackdown 3 is coming to Game Pass (game pass in general has a ton of games I haven't touched), Civ VI expansion is coming shortly plus a few other things. So yeah, VC4 just came out in an awkward time.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Care to explain what's the exact problem here?

One of the character is a sexist asshole and grabs a woman's butt, which is played for laugh. There is another scene where the men deride the female solders and one of the woman calls them out on that buuuut it's played for laugh as she's naked thus rendering it as a poor teaching moment.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Valkyria Chronicles, but this one was just surrounded by other games I wanted to play before it. It should've released between Jun-Aug. At this point I'll buy it once it's $20 or less.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Never beat 1 - felt like there was a sharp upturn in difficulty. Heard 2 and 3 were bad. Resulting zero interest in 4.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it at launch for Switch and then later I bought the CE for PS4. It's an awesome game and I wish Sega had released it in a window where it wouldn't have been buried under the avalanche of other big games coming out. I fear the series is done for.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns as Outrage Culture and Antagonizing Other Users
Sexist, misogynist bullshit. 100%. Would have bought it otherwise as I loved the first game.

Guess you should've played it to see that was a character really early on in his arc who eventually realized he was an asshole and changed for the better. But nah, it's way easier to feign outrage and cry about something when you just saw an out of context screenshot, huh? Am I right, my man?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Because even though I really liked the first game (aside from some balancing issues), I can't deal with stupid ass anime sexism anymore. It's 2019, people have to get real, I just can't.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I did play it, thought the gameplay was good, but that the story was poor enough to be a detriment to the game. The Raz stuff has been mentioned, but I was more bothered by everything to do with Crimeria.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
They're bad strategy games with easily broken mechanics. Everything I've read about 4 and mortars implies they made it worse and not better.

Plus I'm just tired of anime trope bullshit.