• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it at half price. Skipped pretty much all the never-ending story crap but the fights are actually kinda fun, at least until they go overboard with the supervillains around chapter 15 or so. Although, yeah, it was hard to notice any differences from the original VC for me.

zoobzone

Nov 2, 2017
Bought it during the Steam lunar sale, they got Japanese interface back on the PC version too. Unfortunately the game refuses to run with my system, getting a black screen and all the fixes posted only did not work. Had to refund.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Chrono.gg had it on sale so I couldn't pass it up. I wish I'd had gotten it on Switch instead. A battle strategy game like that seems better tailored for it. I've been clearing out my backlog so I'll eventually get back to it, anime tropes and all.
Yeah I got it on the PS4 but in retrospect, it might've been more enticing as a portable game. Kinda had to psych myself up for each new map.

I put 100 hours on VC2 so maybe my expectations for the series had shifted.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Games are expensive now. Also mirrors edge kind of turned me off buying long awaited sequels at launch.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought it day one but never played it, if that counts. I'll get around to it one day.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to buy it as I loved the first one, but overpriced dlcs releasing too close to its launch prevented me from doing it. I'll buy the goty version once it comes out.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I was mildly interested at first because I like Fire Emblem, but I heard that the "action" aspects (running, aiming, shooting) is quite janky, like things getting in the way that doesn't look like it should be in the way etc. Just not a very polished game, was my impression, so I lost interest.

Also, I'm not a big fan of guns and modern weapons. A medieval/fantasy setting would have appealed to me more.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I was mildly interested at first because I like Fire Emblem, but I heard that the "action" aspects (running, aiming, shooting) is quite janky, like things getting in the way that doesn't look like it should be in the way etc. Just not a very polished game, was my impression, so I lost interest.

Not the case at all, in my experience.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big fan of the valkyria chronicle series, even bought azure valkyria at full price lol.
The reason I haven't got VC4 is simply that I still have 10+ JRPGs in backlog. I will sure grab it in the future.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I bought it. Copped VC Remastered too.
I havent started either and I'm not in a rush since we clearly arent getting another VC game anytime soon.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
They probably should have called it Valkyria Chronicles: Federation or something along those lines. It was basically a follow up to the original game but it's also a completely standalone story. Calling it 4 probably hurt sales quite a bit with the average consumer. I mean, it probably wouldn't have set the world on fire in terms of sales regardless but I think it would have fared better.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of weird reasoning:

1) I can't remove the white vignette effect. I always dislike vignette and in this game it's very strong due to the sketchbook art style. I like the art but I don't like that about 20% of my screen view is obscured.

2) Game looked a bit too close to the first game in terms of look and gameplay. Not necessarily a bad thing but I played VC1 years ago.

3) I found the price a bit too high considering number 2. I probably should've bought it when it was 50% off though.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've been curious about VC since it came out for PC, but never got around to it. It sounds like something I might like being a fan of XCOM and to a degree anime too, but it also seems to me a bit janky and technically mediocre like most other JRPGs. I'm not opposed to anime tropes at all, but every game of this type (Japanese AA titles in general) just feels lackluster when it games to actually playing them. There's just so many better games to play so why waste time on something that would feel boring and grindy most of the time. I want to like them, but the love's just not there.

Last edited:

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
bought it, loved it, one of the best games to come out last year

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I bought it digitally in DEC on Xbox. I didn't buy it day 1 because I wanted to make sure the game was what I wanted it to be. 2 and 3 were just ok and I didnt want to waste money

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I liked VC1, but I can't be bothered with the creepy sexist nonsense they apparently added in for the 4th game. Given limited time and money, I'd rather spend it on games that don't go down that route.

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
Valkyria Chronicles 1 was releasing a bit later in Switch at 20.-

It made more sense to start with the original that I had never played, and wait for 4 to get cheaper. Now I'm starting to consider it again.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I did buy it on steam.

Bought the first one for PS3 years ago, and bought the steam version. Loved the game, and put a lot of hours into it. I actually bought the 2nd one for PSP, but never got around to playing it. Part of me was hoping they would bring an updated 2 and 3 for console or PC, but that doesn't look very likely at this point lol.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Looks like your typical anime weeb bullshit with tons of sexist pandering and low-effort writing. Unless your game is shockingly progressive elsewhere, has otherwise brilliant writing, or is exceptionally fun, I' not bothering.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
bought it day one full price. wish I hadn't. just never have that kind of mindset anymore to get into a game like this.
low-key also happy I supported the franchise though.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I have the demo sitting unplayed, nevermind the full game. Interested but in no rush. By the time I have the time/interest it will probably be cheap.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Played the demo, saw it was basically more of 1, and bought it on release. Not gotten far but am progressing in it slowly and having fun. Game works great on Switch.

Oct 31, 2017
Because I played the original when it came to PC and it wasn't very good, with awkward controls and annoying difficulty spikes and a play system that rewarded breaking the game. Nice graphics though.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
For the same reason I still have to buy many other games... Backlog.
But it is in the list.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
First game launched on PC at $20 so I was just spoiled by that I guess. There was (and still is) enough stuff to play where I'm fine with waiting on a price drop.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Bought it day one and loved it. The story is overall worse than the first game's, but I think everything else is better, even the cast. It made me beyond hyped for Shin Sakura Taisen. Hopefully we will be seeing that soon.

VC4 bombing as hard as it did is highly unfortunate, but I do not think the series is dead like so many here are acting. SEGA seems to want to make it one of their core IPs. Perhaps there will be some discussion of the series at SEGAFES?

I wanted to buy it as I loved the first one, but overpriced dlcs releasing too close to its launch prevented me from doing it. I'll buy the goty version once it comes out.
There is never going to be another version of this game released, at least not on current platforms.

None of the DLC is really that special anyways, most are quite short. The base game has tons of content too, I would say it is about 20% bigger than the first overall.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
In my case the game looked more like an expansion or DLC rather than a proper entry, and even though I enjoyed the first one that's over 10 years old. I mean, the story even takes place at the same time, thing couldn't be more derivative even if they tried.

OP
OP
DJwest

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
everyone who i know played it said it was bad
You guys should really try the demo

lol sorry
bought it, loved it, one of the best games to come out last year
yep, second on my GOTY list

I did and now at chapter 15.
Be ready for some bullshit boss fights lol