• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The complaints about it "feeling like a side story" or "being derivative" (as a pejorative) are fucking bizarre. I guess we only needed one film set during WW2, sucks for all those ones that came after as they're just derivative side stories.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Because it's a JRPG and it usually takes games in that genre just a few months to hit $20. VK4 has gotten so close to that price that I might as well wait until it's in a humble bundle at this point, shouldn't take too long.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did buy it almost at 50% off. I bought most of the dlc when I reached that point in the story. I played VC1 a decade ago and that bombed hard even after being discounted heavily. Sadly, VC4 isn't selling so well despite being a good SRPG with a memorable cast. Its still the same game and with bad AI. Squad stories cover 3 characters usually instead of 1. Meeting squad 7 again was nostalgia though. Knowing what they went through from the first game. Its been too long to see which is better, but I enjoyed VC4's ending. I liked some of the villains. Last boss was underwhelming though. The devs need to mix things up a little. Could have added more to gameplay. Felt like they played it too safe.

Alicia isn't broken as in the first game.

A lot of the fights, have the odds heavily stacked against you. Usually, I try to brute force my way through, but end up getting a low rank lol.

This game released the same month as Spiderman and Dragon Quest XI, so it had really stiff competition plus no marketing.

Never played VC2 or 3, but those are standalone stories of their own.

Only found one character I disliked. They grow beyond anime tropes later on.

This might be the last VC game we get. Sales are terrible across multiple platforms.

I'm working towards the platinum right now.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought it not too long ago, started it, but haven't kept it up. I'm not sure what's not clicking for me, but it almost seems a bit...dated. Great game, but I feel like it didn't really add anything to the franchise.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think the problem with the poor reception at retail is Sega's shitty handling of the franchise prior to VC4.

2 and 3 weren't even available on home console and the next console game was that action spin-off that was poor quality. After that home console fans would have lost interest.

I personally loved VC and intend to buy VC4, I just never got round to it. Thanks for the reminder tho, OP. Will pick it up today.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I bought it at release because I loved VC1. I was initially dissapointed with it after playing for a couple of hours. The characters seemed to lack the charm of the first VC and the gameplay and visuals didn't seem to have evolved much. After picking it up again a few months later, and getting further into the game, I started to like it a lot more. I think they have made some smart small gameplay changes and additions, and the story and characters have gotten a bit better.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I played the demo, it was moderately fun. Then, there was a scene where one the main protagonist talked about swabbing the deck of a girl, in a scene typical to low grade japanese anime; I do not really enjoy anime in the first place anyway. I decided that I was not entertained enough to see where this would lead, and clicked on the home button before erasing the demo from my console.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Didn't finish the first game but was still interested to try this one, I'll do but later, after a couple of price drops. The main issue is making myself time to play.

Oct 25, 2017
Still didn't play 1 on PC, and 4 is insanely expensive in my region. I paid less to pre-order DMC5 Deluxe Edition than VC4 costs right now with a 50% discount.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
I bought it Day 1 and dropped it soon after.

I loved VC1, and VC4 feels like the sequel we should have gotten in 2010. But it isn't 2010 anymore, and the series hasn't really moved beyond that despite the TRPG landscape being much different in a post-XCOM world.

The gameplay has gotten pretty tired and is still easily exploitable in very familiar ways, the menus are inexcusably clunky, the graphics style is no longer impressive, the story isn't engaging, the typical cutscene presentation/pacing are atrocious, and the lead characters are either dull or Raz - one of the most intensely unlikable characters I've ever come across even without all the gross sexism.

I don't expect any game to be perfect, but there just wasn't anything that made me want to keep playing, and there was enough stuff actively pushing me away that it felt like a chore to play it.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Because no money. I didn't buy Horizon 4, RE2 remake, RDR2 or AC7 for the same reasons. I'll probably won't buy Sekiro or Dirt Rally 2 either.

I've gone back to studying after realizing I was going nowhere with my current career and the expenses and bills take everything.

At least Apex Legends came out and I'm loving it.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Neverending backlog, incuding Sega stuff like VC1 and Yakuza 0. And they priced it out for me with the adjusted regional pricing.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who preordered the PS4 LE...

I think there were a lot of factors against it and unfortunately (and most importantly) it was lacking the "wow factor" to pull people in.
The game and the series are a known quantity even in niche circles and it needed something more attractive to pull in people who were on the fence. I fucking love the added grenadiers and the new graphics and the new battle options but this was all done within the framework of a game that fans know well already.
The creators said themselves that they had thought they had pushed the BLITZ system to its limit and that they wanted to try something new years ago for the express purpose of generating some wow factor, but they messed up (Valkyria Revolution) and decided to play it safe afterwards (like everyone was requesting in threads back then). So they did but now it's way harder to get people invested while at the same time not upsetting people who want familiarity.

I'm back and forth on whether it was smart to call it VC4 since this thread shows a lot of mistaken thinking that you need to play VC2 and VC3 first, but I think it was the right choice. If they didn't use "4", people would have thought it was a spinoff like Valkyria Revolution and the confusion and misplaced anger would have interfered with marketing. Going with "4" lets people know this is a real sequel to the classic.

Anyway, please buy VC4 so we can get a new VC5 with new ideas.

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day, it's Valkyria Chronicles that made me buy a PS3 and boy did that game deliver. Just got the platinum for VC4 and I must say that apart from a disappointing last boss, it totally lived up to the first game's excellent quality. There is a ton a content (18 main story chapters, 17 squad stories and 22 skirmishes) and the new additions like ship orders, direct commands and the grenadier class change the dynamics of the gameplay.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been positively received by critics (84 Metacritic) but it seems that even though it was released on 4 platforms, it bombed at retail. RIP Valkyria Chronicles

Planning to buy it on sale within few weeks (on Switch)

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Too many games to play, not enough time. I haven't played the other 3, and I usually despise strategy rpg games, or political/war stories so I dont know if this franchise would be able to change my mind. I have the first one unplayed, but I really really really do hate srpg games so I dont know..

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Got the special edition with the tank like day one and finished it. Really enjoyed it. I've seen that specific version going for cheaper, but I don't feel burnt by it, cause I got to support a hidden gem (IMO).

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did. Im about 25 hours in. I'll say it is better than the first game clearly.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
because I didn't play 2 and 3

No need to play those two if you wanna get into 4.

I think we'll also see a good amount of people in this thread who didn't buy it bitch and moan when the series is canned because not enough people bought into it. Just watch.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried the demo and despite liking the gameplay, the character dialogue was not my thing. I played a bit of VC1 on PC and got to the point where battles were too drawn out and one-note, so I also figured 4 would be more of the same.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on launch but kind of wish I hadn't have. Still haven't gotten round to playing it, not helped by all the stuff surrounding one of the characters in the game who looked like a sexist prick. That kind of sapped some excitement I had for the game.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't when it first came out because it came out during the busy season and there were a ton of other games I wanted.

I did pick it up and beat it during the time period from black friday to mid january where PSN had it on sale for $29.99 constantly.

Favorite game of 2019 honestly.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Had recently played (and enjoyed) VC1 on PC, and this game looked like it brought nothing new to the table, even graphically it looks about the same.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I own it, got it for around $30 but I haven't played it yet. I should've waited since the price is still dropping on Amazon.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like one of those games I would enjoy for 10 hours before getting bored by it and I have too many of those already.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
I bought the collector's edition, but I'm at Chapter 4 and don't feel like going much further. I'm not a fan of sudden shifts in the battle where I'm at a totally different location and I have to send out completely different soldiers because the other soldiers are already deployed on the other side of the map. Also, Raz is an idiot and just when I think I'm done with a battle, he does something really, really dumb.

Jan 25, 2018
Bought it day 1 and played the hell out of it. I did my part. Great game, but still fairly niche. I do wish it did better numbers so we'd get 5 quicker, or 2 and 3 remade/localized, but here we are.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if I'll enjoy it, the anime graphics/character designs aren't my cup of tea either. However, I've heard good things about it, so it's on my wish-list for whenever it goes on sale at a decent price.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I should get back and finish it, made it to chapter 5-6.

Really liked what was going on (at least as much or moreso than I did 1 by that point) and the grenadiers were really cool, as were 1 CP vehicles, just other games came out and grabbed me more.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
My only reason is the current backlog I have. Working through it a bit more than I definitely plan on picking it up, I really enjoyed the demo. I should also get the first one too.