• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The vast majority of my purchases are either day one or wait until under $20. It isn't a central enough series for me to purchase day one and I already have a backlog of <$20 games to get through before I add more.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I'm terrible at strategy games. I'm terrible at shooters.

What makes you think putting them together is gonna suddenly make me want to add it to my library?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to stick to subscription services for my gaming fixes anyway but Raz and his sexist shenanigans really turned me off. I decided to replay the original instead.

It's not even that I am against characters having repulsive character traits but if it's not part of a character arc (see Rosie and Largo in VC1) or it doesn't involve some sort of comeuppance that permanently puts them in their place then it's immediately off-putting if the writing isn't up to scratch.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who bought the original game several times, I'd say 4 was uninteresting to me for two main reasons: new cast/tone barely connected to the original vision, and gameplay too similar to what I had already experienced a decade ago. So, perhaps the ideal sequel would have been one doing exactly the opposite to what 4 did: more creative design, when it comes to the game itself, but following much more closely the narrative of the original.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I bought it and was immediately off put by it because of how childish the dialogue direction was. Couple that with sterile SRPG design and I sort of ultimately just nope'd out

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed VC1.

But by the time VC4 rolled around it looked so similar to the original game that it felt like a sequel that should have been released a year or two after VC1, not a decade later.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the first game on PC, and was appalled by the state of the KB/Mouse support (or lack of), which is frankly shocking given the genre.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I bought it. Played for an hour and been meaning to get back to it. Been on an strategy kick lately too, making my way through the entire Banner Saga series and that's been great.

I think it's the tone and characters that keep me from giving it an honest go, kept wanting to skip cutscenes. May just end up playing the remastered original instead since I don't remember much anyway. But they got my money for it.

Last edited:

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Because there was a lot of games that came out in that time period. And the last 3 VC games have sucked. And I knew it would be much cheaper soon.

Sega gonna Sega. They should pick droughts to release these games in, not holiday seasons lol. Plus I don't believe people realize how many copies VC1 sold at dirt cheap prices. Its not a series anyone is plopping 60 down on. I'm in once its $10.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Too many games to play but I'll definitely get to it one day knowing that it's good. The nice thing being that it'll be cheaper by then as well.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
If this game tanked the only one to blame is Sega. It took them ten years to put out a real sequel for the first game instead of capitalizing on the cult audience it had built up. They could have turned the game into a Souls style phenomenon but instead put out games on the PSP which was completely dead in the West and then tried to pass off some tales ripoff game as a Valkyria game.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I am trying to stick to subscription services for my gaming fixes anyway but Raz and his sexist shenanigans really turned me off. I decided to replay the original instead.

It's not even that I am against characters having repulsive character traits but if it's not part of a character arc (see Rosie and Largo in VC1) or it doesn't involve some sort of comeuppance that permanently puts them in their place then it's immediately off-putting if the writing isn't up to scratch.
If you know Rosie in VC 1 personality was part of a story arc, why do u think Raz is any diferent?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you know Rosie in VC 1 personality was part of a story arc, why do u think Raz is any diferent?
To me, the difference is that Rosie's racism is rooted in an ancient nationwide enmity for Darcsen, they are accused of an ancient atrocity. Not only that, as a veteran soldier she's been able to get away with it by bullying a more junior colleague, and her arc involves both personal realisation and the entire conspiracy coming to light- it's a national scandal affecting multiple members of the platoon to varying degrees, it's not just a 'I'll stop being a racist because I met someone I like'.

Raz's sexist arsehole arc isn't comparable to Rosie when the entire rest of the cast think it's appalling and the military is 50% women. His sexist idiocy is is both isolated from everyone else and played for comic relief because he picked up the 'generic comedic pervert' trope. As opposed to being a character representing national perspective (if clumsily handled) on a wider, serious arc that leads into the background, in adddition to relationships amongst the lead cast.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I also finished the game and i tell you he does.
I could not stand him at the beginning of the game and by the end he was one of my favorite chars of the group.
That's why you should always check things yourself, his redemption arc is quite strong

I always intended to find out for myself eventually but I remain sceptical that this is the case.

To me, the difference is that Rosie's racism is rooted in an ancient nationwide enmity for Darcsen, they are accused of an ancient atrocity. Not only that, as a veteran soldier she's been able to get away with it by bullying a more junior colleague, and her arc involves both personal realisation and the entire conspiracy coming to light- it's a national scandal affecting multiple members of the platoon to varying degrees, it's not just a 'I'll stop being a racist because I met someone I like'.

Raz's sexist arsehole arc isn't comparable to Rosie when the entire rest of the cast think it's appalling and the military is 50% women. His sexist idiocy is is both isolated from everyone else and played for comic relief because he picked up the 'comedic pervert' trope, as opposed to being a character representing national perspective (if clumsily handled) on a wider, serious arc that plays into the background.

Also this. Rosie's arc was a lot more nuanced and tied into the revelations of the story directly.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I hate the tonal swings the series has. It's dire war, then suddenly anime tropes, then back to the horrors of war and demonstrating the harm scapegoats can lead to, then look at this cute scenario the characters have found themselves in!

Totally puts me off.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I was told
he doesn't get redeemed
by someone who completed the game.

That isn't true. While the writing left something to be desired in general, and so Raz's sexism was handled clumsily at best, he certainly does change and undergo a redemptive arc as the game progresses.

The player is meant to despise Raz initially: he's immature, crass, prone to reckless endangerment, has a history of being a bully, etc. — all of which makes it meaningful when he does change. It's frustrating, because the nuance to Raz's characterization is there, but it's under the surface and isn't well-integrated into the story.

The infamous double-whammy grope -> underskirt scene should have been omitted entirely; it added nothing to the story, wasn't referenced again, and the character traits on display were already established. I'd obviously have preferred all the other minor instances of sexism or fanservice to be removed as well, but anyone who can stomach the cases in other popular games (Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, Ys VIII, Xenoblade 2, Persona 5, etc.) should have zero problem handling VC4.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This game is on my radar, but I admittedly still haven't beaten VC 1 or 2 (both of which I own). I couldn't justify full price at the time, but will snag it for sure on a sale at some point. Definitely worth supporting Sega for making this.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I didn't buy it yet because I had other games I was interested in more at the time. However, I did play the demo and really enjoyed it so it will definitely be a purchase for me when there is a lull in game releases I am waiting on.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't true. While the writing left something to be desired in general, and so Raz's sexism was handled clumsily at best, he certainly does change and undergo a redemptive arc as the game progresses.

The player is meant to despise Raz initially: he's immature, crass, prone to reckless endangerment, has a history of being a bully, etc. — all of which makes it meaningful when he does change. It's frustrating, because the nuance to Raz's characterization is there, but it's under the surface and isn't well-integrated into the story.

The infamous double-whammy grope -> underskirt scene should have been omitted entirely; it added nothing to the story, wasn't referenced again, and the character traits on display were already established. I'd obviously have preferred all the other minor instances of sexism or fanservice to be removed as well, but anyone who can stomach the cases in other popular games (Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, Ys VIII, Xenoblade 2, Persona 5, etc.) should have zero problem handling VC4.

Thank you for this post, I look forward to playing the game and seeing this for myself. I agree the grope and hot springs scenes have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and really add nothing to both the story and his characterisation. Personally I don't care for what Fire Emblem has become and hate Xenoblade 2's character designs and one of the reasons I always loved Sega's RPGs was because they are better than most other publishers when it comes to female characters (let's pretend what happened to Shining post-Camelot didn't happen!) so it was disappointing to see VC4 fall into tired, City Hunter-esque tropes with Raz. There is absolutely room for flawed characters in RPGs but they need to be well written and Raz regardless of redemption does not attain the heights set by Rosie in VC1.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'm going to pick it up once I clear my backlog a bit. I have great shame for not getting it when it was initially released, but I had too much stuff to play.

N E R O

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
I decided to start saving this year, I noticed that I keep this bad habit of buying so many games on Day 1, I play a few of them only. 2 months later they drop the price by 20~30 Bucks.

I don't have the time to finish games ( finished 11 games last year ) and this year so far I just finished DQXI, Valkyria Chronicles 4 is on my priority list for sure. I love supporting my J Devs

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day, it's Valkyria Chronicles that made me buy a PS3 and boy did that game deliver. Just got the platinum for VC4 and I must say that apart from a disappointing last boss, it totally lived up to the first game's excellent quality. There is a ton a content (18 main story chapters, 17 squad stories and 22 skirmishes) and the new additions like ship orders, direct commands and the grenadier class change the dynamics of the gameplay.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been positively received by critics (84 Metacritic) but it seems that even though it was released on 4 platforms, it bombed at retail. RIP Valkyria Chronicles
Because I don't like those games.

Apr 24, 2018
I bought the Special Edition day one. Sad to see that it's recently plummeted by 60% off MSRP. I figured that would likely be the case for this game, but I wanted to support the series and to also make sure I grab a copy in case it truly was limited.

Between this game, Dragon Quest 11,and Yakuza Kiwami II launching all fairly close together, that was just a deluge of long games. I played VC4 for a few hours, played DQ11 for 25 hours, and still have't started Yakuza Kiwami II yet. I beat Trails in the Sky FC in January and for the moment, I just feel kind of urned out on long games. I plan to hopefully beat all three of these games in 2019, but I have been gravitating a lot towards playing indies these days,

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Too many other games fighting for a decreasingly available amount of my free time.

Also I honest to god wanted to wait to see how it turned out, given how hot/cold the series is.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I bought it but I sold it after playing through half of it. I liked it but it's too similar to the original game, which is one of my favorites of all time...just felt kind of stale, the characters aren't quite as good, the story presentation is a little more flat, etc. I felt like I was good with the original game and the 4 just didn't feel essential to me.