• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I did, and it was one of the best games I played last year.

Yes, Raz is shit and I'd understand why people wouldn't like to play VC4 because of him.

That being said the level design is superb and whoever was in charge of it deserve a raise.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I bought it after it went on sale for half off. I avoided it at launch because I knew I would never have time to complete it just like VC1 Remaster. Both of them I only have 1 hour

The PC port is so sweet though. You can run it at 4k + assign it to your monitor of choice. Maybe one day I'll at least try to get a few hrs into it if only to get it off my backlog. These days, I have no hope to complete games (beyond finishing 1 game a month), so I consider a game "off my backlog" if I put in at least 2 hours

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, it was the fanservice and total mishandling of sex-related topics that struck it from my wishlist real quick.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 burned me real bad in that regard. As someone who has loved JRPGs for 20 years or more (and someone who can even appreciate some anime silliness), this shit is getting incredibly tiresome. I hate that I have to vet almost every RPG coming out of Japan these days -- developers need to get with the fucking program and embrace a little progress. (Related, thanks to the mods for bringing down the hammer on the apologists in this thread; had just about enough of engaging with that.)

Also, the first game is only $20, and it seems like that should give you your fill. Is it true that there's less weeby shit in that one?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I did, and it was one of the best games I played last year.

Yes, Raz is shit and I'd understand why people wouldn't like to play VC4 because of him.

That being said the level design is superb and whoever was in charge of it deserve a raise.

Yeah, that's kind of the story for all VC games after one. Combat and stategy scenarios are great, actual story scenarios and characterization is ALARMINGLY shit. I wanted to bounce off the game because of Raz, but I stuck with it. I DID bounce off the game when the loli's showed up though.

Also, the first game is only $20, and it seems like that should give you your fill. Is it true that there's less weeby shit in that one?

1 is the only one that treats the war effort seriously. The others are doing some...dumb anime bullshit in each of them, like war is a super fun camping trip.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was the fanservice and total mishandling of sex-related topics that struck it from my wishlist real quick.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 burned me real bad in that regard. As someone who has loved JRPGs for 20 years or more (and someone who can even appreciate some anime silliness), this shit is getting incredibly tiresome. I hate that I have to vet almost every RPG coming out of Japan these days -- developers need to get with the fucking program and embrace a little progress. (Related, thanks to the mods for bringing down the hammer on the apologists in this thread; had just about enough of engaging with that.)

Great post. I've said the same things myself. Gaming is a global business now, and Japanese developers and pubishers need to think globally about this shit. I too have to vet every fucking Japanese game these days because that shit will be insidiously lurking in games you wouldn't even think of.... like a fucking VC game. I also couldn't stand XC2 and 1 and X are two of my favorite games EVER.

And yes, thank you mods!!!! Was so glad to come back to this thread and see some work.

Yes, the first game is muuuuch tamer. No real sexist shit. The main woman villain has giant boobs, but they are totally covered. And it's a great game.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So is this thread supposed to be the equivalent example of fans demanding the VC series being closer to the direction of VC1 and Sega after tripping over themselves with stuff like VC2 and Azure, finally get around to giving the fans want they want with another game like VC1 and it still failing?

I bought the game on release, but I wonder if this is just going to be one of those cases where SEGA goes "See we gave them a game like VC1 and they still didn't buy it, we were right and no one wanted it!" like a self fulfilling prophecy?

Also it's very difficult to take all of the "Anime cringe" or "Waifu Wars" shitposts seriously. You'd think people were talking about a Idea Factory / Compile Heart game.

Sexist crap doesn't have a place in any game to be frank, but I think there is an issue of the gross mischaracterization of anything having a semblance of Anime is automatically a synonym for something bad which seems an unfortunate carry over from the old forum.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Wasnt that game sexist? I remember a large thread on this.

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: The game's story and narrative have much larger issues than it's flirtations with sexism.

So is this thread supposed to be the equivalent example of fans demanding the VC series being closer to the direction of VC1 and Sega after tripping over themselves with stuff like VC2 and Azure, finally get around to giving the fans want they want with another game like VC1 and it still failing?

To be fair, if that's what they were going for, they failed. Narratively, VC4 has very little in common with VC1. It's more like they made an entire story out of the worst parts of VC3's narrative in attempting to make a russian front in winter allegory.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it and loved it. Having played all pf them I'd rank them

VC1>VC4>>>>>>>VC3>>>>>>>>>>>>>VC2

verycutedog

Jan 21, 2018
Not enough people made threads with strangely accusatory titles.

But really, no previous experience with the series and I've read it's "too anime" in some negative ways that I find off-putting.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, if that's what they were going for, they failed. Narratively, VC4 has very little in common with VC1. It's more like they made an entire story out of the worst parts of VC3's narrative in attempting to make a russian front in winter allegory.
I saw that you quit when the lolis showed up so I'm not quite sure where that is but I think around that point was the most egregious missed opportunity. VC4 seemed to be pushing a darker, edgier feel ever so slightly in comparison to VC1 and there was one plot element that seemed like it could've worked if it wasn't for how it was so ... if I'm not using the word anime as a descriptive prerogative, than the word is juvenile.

Like, it became clear that the game wanted broach the ethical and personal dilemma of setting off a nuke. Ethical because we run into empire citizens who seem nice enough, personal because of losses along the way to justify the sacrifices by achieving the nuclear goal. The game repeated emphasizes the overwhelming struggle it took for Squad E to reach the capitol.

... but what if the nuke was powered by a little magical girl.

What if the magical girl woke up long enough from her job as a human battery to be saccharinely cute and endear herself to the entire crew.

Would you still set off the nuke?! Look, she left behind a letter about how this 10 year old girl decided of her own free will to bravely sacrifice her life for the sake of her family.

Whatever dilemma there could've been buried under anime.

Feb 5, 2019
Played the demo and it was just boring to me. Wanted something similar to FE or AW, and the story/characters just didn't do anything for me.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Have over 100 hours in. Didn't like it as much as VC1, but it was still very good.

I like to vote with my dollar when I can. A lot of people will complain and ask for another VC1 type game and then not buy VC4 when its pretty fucking close. Or refuse to buy it at full price. You're part of the problem and if I don't get VC5 I blame you.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'll pick it up eventually, but I had (have) so many games to play that I was in no rush to buy it immediately.

Also got burned on the previous sequels.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
One of the character is a sexist asshole and grabs a woman's butt, which is played for laugh. There is another scene where the men deride the female solders and one of the woman calls them out on that buuuut it's played for laugh as she's naked thus rendering it as a poor teaching moment.
The first part isn't played for laughs.
The second part is not exactly that, cf context:

It's a (bad) anime trope, played for laughs, but also in favor of the women. It's also something you can only unlock after finishing the game. Aka has absolutely no impact on the main game, despite what some tried to lie about before release.
Different reading when you actually play the game.
It had a thread or 2 of this forum yes but honestly every single time someone brings up VK4 you'll get complaints about those lines of dialogue from people that were put off playing it. I created a thread very similar to this one a few months ago and those responses were typical.

It's way way worse than persona 5 and I think it hurt VK4 in the end and thats unfortunate.

It just proves to me that if it's big enough game people will be all talk and no action but if it's a niche game that needs word of mouth it'll suffer.

There were other factors of course to it's bad sales of course.
I know you got banned for another post, but yeah, that's a shame.
I doubt it had any impact on the sales of this game, since it's niche and no media even talked about it, but that's disappointing to see posts saying stuff that is wrong (easy to see what is right if you play the game, or hell, even watch a full cutscene on youtube for context) to basically try to change opinion, even if it means lying about it.
There's better ways to make people avoid games you don't like (recommend better ones?) than lie about it, and get people attacked for trying to say what actually happens in the game.

Seriously, it's a pain to read and post in VC4 threads. Basically like XC2 threads 2 years ago, a shame.
I am trying to stick to subscription services for my gaming fixes anyway but Raz and his sexist shenanigans really turned me off. I decided to replay the original instead.

It's not even that I am against characters having repulsive character traits but if it's not part of a character arc (see Rosie and Largo in VC1) or it doesn't involve some sort of comeuppance that permanently puts them in their place then it's immediately off-putting if the writing isn't up to scratch.
Thank you for this post, I look forward to playing the game and seeing this for myself. I agree the grope and hot springs scenes have all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and really add nothing to both the story and his characterisation. Personally I don't care for what Fire Emblem has become and hate Xenoblade 2's character designs and one of the reasons I always loved Sega's RPGs was because they are better than most other publishers when it comes to female characters (let's pretend what happened to Shining post-Camelot didn't happen!) so it was disappointing to see VC4 fall into tired, City Hunter-esque tropes with Raz. There is absolutely room for flawed characters in RPGs but they need to be well written and Raz regardless of redemption does not attain the heights set by Rosie in VC1.
Sounds like the person that told you he doesn't get redeemed lied to you then.

It's weird to read you only bear with this kind of stuff when there's a character arc around it, then gave up on the game when that's literally a big part his character arc and there's basically one scene where he's sexist (the slap) and a few (as in 2-3) bits where he says something stupid and everyone pushes him away due to his stupidity.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

I bought the game on release, but I wonder if this is just going to be one of those cases where SEGA goes "See we gave them a game like VC1 and they still didn't buy it, we were right and no one wanted it!" like a self fulfilling prophecy?

Also it's very difficult to take all of the "Anime cringe" or "Waifu Wars" shitposts seriously. You'd think people were talking about a Idea Factory / Compile Heart game.

Sexist crap doesn't have a place in any game to be frank, but I think there is an issue of the gross mischaracterization of anything having a semblance of Anime is automatically a synonym for something bad which seems an unfortunate carry over from the old forum.
If everyone that claims that the Dreamcast is their favorite console ever actually had one it would have been one of the most successful consoles ever.

It's sad. If the series had ended with the strange spinoff people would probably still be complaining about Sega.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any before. And for some incredibly stupid reason, Sega released the first game AFTER the fourth game on Switch! What the fuck?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly man I just didn't get around to it. I think another game got in the way around that time, but I don't remember what game that was.

I actually did enjoy the demo too, I was surprised at how easily I slid back into Valkyria Chronicles gameplay and at how similar this was to the first game, but by the time the full game had actually come out my enthusiasm had cooled and I was probably playing something else. I played through the first game when it originally came out on PC, bought Valkyria Chronicles 2 on PSP when it was on sale and hated the main characters (people complain about anime cringe in regards to these games but VC2 is really where it went into overdrive. VC4 is tame in comparison), put the PC version of the first game on my wishlist and kinda just... let it sit there.

For some reason I haven't been heavily enthusiastic about a JRPG in a suspiciously long time (traditional JRPGs I guess, since people don't like to count the Souls games which I've played a lot). And thinking back I've even realized I prefer tactical JRPGs like VC over more traditional ones. If I didn't already have unfinished copies of Dragon Quest IX and V I'd probably have jumped into XI. I really enjoyed the first Ni No Kuni when it came out but kinda just let the sequel drift by on my Steam wishlist. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood for these games. I'm starting to think Breath of the Wild gives me a lot of what I actually wanted in JRPGs.

Let me just put this out there in regards to VC though: I think the user interface might be a major drag on the overall experience, particularly the menus between missions. The book aspect looks neat I guess, but it feels slow. Everything outside the actual missions feels slow: upgrading your characters, cut scenes, selecting missions, etc. I know that doesn't sound like an important part of the game, but I think quick and snappy menu systems can really help grease the wheels of a game. Dragon Quest itself might even be a good example.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VC1 was one of my favorite games of last gen but...

1) I still haven't gotten around to playing the PC version of VC1.

2) The demo turned me off, it feels like the game made zero progress QoLwise, like outside of some IQ stuff it could've come out a year after VC1 and I wouldn't have been surprised. Felt janky in ways that I could easily forgive VC1 for, but expected them to sort by now. Felt like it was made on a shoe string budget.

And maybe the game didn't bomb, it seems like it had no real investment behind it so who knows maybe they got their return.

I'll get it at some point when it's super cheap.

It's a (bad) anime trope, played for laughs, but also in favor of the women.

lmao sure thing buddy, whatever makes you feel better.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Launch edition is currently on sale @ Amazon for ~$20 on PS4. Worth it?

If you liked the original VC1, then you should find some enjoyment out of VC4. Keep in mind there is a loose continuity between the games. So you don't need to play them in order to understand everything.

Also VC4 takes place during the same war / time period as VC1 but in a completely different region and squad.

Mind you I bought the game at release, so $20 for a physical copy is a worthwhile bargain in comparison.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I enjoyed VC1 well enough. It was a bit too tropey and melodramatic, but it was a fun game with a beautiful main theme.

When I heard that VC4 had tons of creepy/problematic sexism among other things I decided I didn't need it in my life.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The first part isn't played for laughs.
The second part is not exactly that, cf context:

It's a (bad) anime trope, played for laughs, but also in favor of the women. It's also something you can only unlock after finishing the game. Aka has absolutely no impact on the main game, despite what some tried to lie about before release.
Different reading when you actually play the game.

I know you got banned for another post, but yeah, that's a shame.
I doubt it had any impact on the sales of this game, since it's niche and no media even talked about it, but that's disappointing to see posts saying stuff that is wrong (easy to see what is right if you play the game, or hell, even watch a full cutscene on youtube for context) to basically try to change opinion, even if it means lying about it.
There's better ways to make people avoid games you don't like (recommend better ones?) than lie about it, and get people attacked for trying to say what actually happens in the game.

Seriously, it's a pain to read and post in VC4 threads. Basically like XC2 threads 2 years ago, a shame.

Sounds like the person that told you he doesn't get redeemed lied to you then.

It's weird to read you only bear with this kind of stuff when there's a character arc around it, then gave up on the game when that's literally a big part his character arc and there's basically one scene where he's sexist (the slap) and a few (as in 2-3) bits where he says something stupid and everyone pushes him away due to his stupidity.

Just keep on mansplaining, boys. I don't give a shit that some stuff is supposedly "taken out of context." I don't give a shit that a sexist pervert gets "redeemed." That shit has no place in any game I want to give business to, period. The clip you posted and the others I've seen are completely fucking disgusting to me and many others, period. I don't need men to mansplain to me my personal thoughts about this shit.

The OP asked why I didn't buy the game, and I answered sincerely, and I got attacked for it by men who don't want a woman (or man, as many of the people who gave the same answer as me are men) to have an opinion different from their own about how to feel when women are exploited in a videogame.

source.gif

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
1 is the only one that treats the war effort seriously. The others are doing some...dumb anime bullshit in each of them, like war is a super fun camping trip.

Thanks. Good to hear about the first one, at least.

Great post. I've said the same things myself. Gaming is a global business now, and Japanese developers and pubishers need to think globally about this shit. I too have to vet every fucking Japanese game these days because that shit will be insidiously lurking in games you wouldn't even think of.... like a fucking VC game. I also couldn't stand XC2 and 1 and X are two of my favorite games EVER.

And yes, thank you mods!!!! Was so glad to come back to this thread and see some work.

Yes, the first game is muuuuch tamer. No real sexist shit. The main woman villain has giant boobs, but they are totally covered. And it's a great game.

And thank you, too. I'm right there with you on Xenoblade -- adored the first two and poured hundreds of hours into them, but Chronicles 2 ended up being my biggest gaming disappointment since Metroid: Other M because of its hard lean into fanservice and backwards-assed attitudes toward women and sex. I definitely take your recommendation of the first Valkyria Chronicles to heart, as we're on the same page there (and yet, case in point, here I am vetting yet another JRPG because this shit is so rampant in the genre).

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, that's kind of the story for all VC games after one. Combat and stategy scenarios are great, actual story scenarios and characterization is ALARMINGLY shit. I wanted to bounce off the game because of Raz, but I stuck with it. I DID bounce off the game when the loli's showed up though.

But that's not true, not true at all. 2 is a little to "anime" maybe but 3 and 4 treat war really serious. Anyone who actually played those games would agree with that.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Strategy RPGs aren't my thing. I keep buying them and then never play them for more than 2-3 hours, so why waste money on something I know I'll never finish?

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just picked this up off Amazon for $19.36. I have a few upcoming games to occupy my time for a while but I will check it out at some point.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Good to hear about the first one, at least.

And thank you, too. I'm right there with you on Xenoblade -- adored the first two and poured hundreds of hours into them, but Chronicles 2 ended up being my biggest gaming disappointment since Metroid: Other M because of its hard lean into fanservice and backwards-assed attitudes toward women and sex. I definitely take your recommendation of the first Valkyria Chronicles to heart, as we're on the same page there (and yet, case in point, here I am vetting yet another JRPG because this shit is so rampant in the genre).
So I remembered that there's an optional beach scene in VC1, but it's just anime, not really perverted or sexist at all. One character wears a bikini and her love interest blushes and shit when he sees it. One of the other women teases her for having a "revealing" outfit (it's just a regular bikini). That's it. Here is the video, no real spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa7sD4Hnl44

I think you'll probably find it tolerable but I just wanted to provide full disclosure.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But that's not true, not true at all. 2 is a little to "anime" maybe but 3 and 4 treat war really serious. Anyone who actually played those games would agree with that.

Man please.

3 is literally about the united army being so corrupt that they end up accidentally making a prison camp trope consisting of super-elite soldiers who were screwed over by people who wanted their positions. It's as nonsense as Ace Combat 7 with singing little girl clones and psychic grandpas.

4 is the worst parts of 3 because instead of the higher-ups of the army being corrupt, they're inept and just let things like horrid squadron mismanagement, espionage, wanton sexism across multiple armed forces and people going awol just happen, because the actual useful parts of the war effort are in the north...taking place in VC1. And that's all before you get to the killer lolis and the guy who literally wants to fuck your tank to death.

The only game that treats the story well is 1. The rest is some dumb anime bullshit from knock to tip.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Strategy games are boring, it's anime and it's too Japanese. I also have too many games in my backlog and am already struggling to find time/energy to game.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna play it I just haven't gotten around to it yet tbh. There's been a lot of good games to catch up on that took priority.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
The game is currently $20 USD on Amazon Us for PS4.

It may have tacked up some and the collectors ed is $60

If you were in the fence now is a good time. Personally I want it on switch, but then I remember I only made it like 3/4ths through the first two so would I finish this one? Not sure but man it would be tempting at that price

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Man please.

3 is literally about the united army being so corrupt that they end up accidentally make a prison camp trope consisting of super-elite soldiers who were screwed over by people who wanted their positions. It's as nonsense as Ace Combat 7 with singing little girl clones and psychic grandpas.

4 is the worst parts of 3 because instead of the higher-ups of the army being corrupt, they're inept and just let things like horrid squadron mismanagement, espionage, wanton sexism across multiple armed forces and people going awol just happen, because the actual useful parts of the war effort are in the north...taking place in VC1. And that's all before you get to the killer lolis and the guy who literally wants to fuck your tank to death.

The only game that treats the story well is 1. The rest is some dumb anime bullshit from knock to tip.

I don't really see why the premise of VC3 is campy. The story is really dark and it treats war more serious then a lot of other different media. And yes I have the game physical and played the English patched version on my psp. The story of 4 isn't as a tight or dark as VC1 but still quite good and far from a Adventure summer camp trip. A lot of reviews praise the story (also people that completed the game).

sca

Oct 25, 2017
If you liked the original VC1, then you should find some enjoyment out of VC4. Keep in mind there is a loose continuity between the games. So you don't need to play them in order to understand everything.

Also VC4 takes place during the same war / time period as VC1 but in a completely different region and squad.

Mind you I bought the game at release, so $20 for a physical copy is a worthwhile bargain in comparison.
I very much liked VC1. Thanks for the details and your input.

Mar 4, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns of sexism in a sensitive topic
I enjoyed VC1 well enough. It was a bit too tropey and melodramatic, but it was a fun game with a beautiful main theme.

When I heard that VC4 had tons of creepy/problematic sexism among other things I decided I didn't need it in my life.

40 sec total of anime joke that exist from countless anime . All of people said ton of them are all liar