• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
Back in the day, it's Valkyria Chronicles that made me buy a PS3 and boy did that game deliver. Just got the platinum for VC4 and I must say that apart from a disappointing last boss, it totally lived up to the first game's excellent quality. There is a ton a content (18 main story chapters, 17 squad stories and 22 skirmishes) and the new additions like ship orders, direct commands and the grenadier class change the dynamics of the gameplay.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been positively received by critics (84 Metacritic) but it seems that even though it was released on 4 platforms, it bombed at retail. RIP Valkyria Chronicles

Niche game. I did buy it. I even got the tank. But don't expect it to sell hugely. The franchise disappeared for 8 or so years and they also had a non numbered game before this that was not very good, so that may have caused confusion on what this titled was about.

I know it was reviewed well but the increase in characters and decrease in gameplay was not well received by some players so maybe that hurt word of mouth. Not even sure how this was marketed.

I do remember an interview with the director which would make me want to see another game because there are more things going on in this world that would even include things like naval combat.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I mean, that scene is more a symptom than the disease.

Like Raz is a character study on how not to frame a protagonist.
Same as with the main character of Tales of the abyss. You can't have a redemption arc without a flawed character.

Charles Ingalls is a great character but not exactly redemption story arc material

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Seeing people try and defend the shit sexism in this game only reinforces my decision to never ever buy it even at 1 dollar.
This and Sega releasing VC1 on everything but Xbox seals the deal. They can be stupid alone thank you.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Same as with the main character of Tales of the abyss. You can't have a redemption arc without a flawed character.

Charles Ingalls is a great character but not exactly redemption story arc material

The real problem with that is that you also can't have a character redemption arc if no on eactually calls the character a bad person. Literally the consequence for all of Raz's bullsht in the game is people putting their hands on their hips and saying "OH YOU!!!"

Raz is a shitty dog that poops on your floor, instead of a borderline traitor.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing people try and defend the shit sexism in this game only reinforces my decision to never ever buy it even at 1 dollar.
This and Sega releasing VC1 on everything but Xbox seals the deal. They can be stupid alone thank you.
Ok, I don't have an Xbox One. You're telling me they released this and Valkyria Revolution on XB1 but not the first game?

I'm fucking dying. That's so Sega it hurts.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
After having played VC4 to its completion, nothing is as bad as say, Persona 5 where multiple times the female members of the Phantom Thieves were sent to coerce a target using their sexuality to either get information/item or stall for time, even after they vocally voiced their displeasure and unwillingness to do it. If Claude told Kai to use her feminine wiles to charm a guard or something she'd punch him in the face and get out her sniper rifle and shoot the guard instead.

That said, the first 6 or so chapters of VC4 are just awful. Especially the food fight. My goodness, that was just bad. But then the snow starts falling and the story ramps up into a pretty memorable one, although I liked the 'Nameless' unit's story better from VC3. It's still definitely worth playing and was well worth the money I spent on it. Even if it's the last VC game it had a solid run. At least it didn't end on that god awful Revolution.
1 is the only one that treats the war effort seriously. The others are doing some...dumb anime bullshit in each of them, like war is a super fun camping trip.
No way. While I'm not a fan of the angle that VC2 went, 3 and 4 provide an incredibly serious tone once the shit hits the fan.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I got stuck on a mission during the original Valkyrie Chronicle and that was it for me

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The real problem with that is that you also can't have a character redemption arc if no on eactually calls the character a bad person. Literally the consequence for all of Raz's bullsht in the game is people putting their hands on their hips and saying "OH YOU!!!"

Raz is a shitty dog that poops on your floor, instead of a borderline traitor.

Again, that's also not true. Like multiple people have wrote here. Raz has a redemption arc.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Hercule hahaha sorry I am not gonna quote you since to be frank, this game is something that I would like to buy but really, hearing about the Raz character basically killed my purchase decision.

However, if in the end the game treated his character arc respectfully especially in terms of how his sexism is concerned, then I would say that I am interested in trying it out, so no spoiler, haha, just a simple definitive yes or no is alright, I'll take your word for it (and anyone else, should they also agree with your interpretation)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Because i can't justify buying a game that's either full price or close to it.

This is my answer, plus the fact there are a million other games I want to play that are cheaper right now

I'll get to it, as I loved the first game, but there isn't much point buying it now when I probably won't have the time to play it for a few months (or even years)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Bought it and playing right now, having a blast with it.
The 'campaign' Squad E goes on is much cooler than VC1.
Gameplay is fun as always.

It's a shame there are still a lot of too anime-y tropes i kinda outgrew in recent years but whatever.

Now, why would i ever press on a BIG SPOILER button without javing finished the game 🤔

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Really big spoiler:
He changes his way how he acts against women and sacrifices himself. You can recruit him again later in the post game but he doesn't come back to life

Real talk, how many times does he literally put everyone in the squad in mortal damage because he wants to "kill some imps RAH!!!" is it 5? Is it 7?

Raz should have been arrested in the early game. And the squad lets it pass over and over and over. His redemptive arc is less redemptive and more "my plot armor has been removed". He's still a gigantic unapologetic asshole during his "repentance."

There is a difference between redemption and comeuppance.

No way. While I'm not a fan of the angle that VC2 went, 3 and 4 provide an incredibly serious tone once the shit hits the fan.

See I purposely don't bring up the nuclear loli's because I think everyone should experience that for the first time on their own.

But making a nuke-tan, then agonizing over the process of using it while making her the mascot focal point of the back half of the game is not an incredibly serious tone. It's actual garbage.

It's anime bullshit. And yes, there is in element of VC where they're basically fighting with magic, but even VC2 with it's killer magic loli manages to handle the concept of placing children on the battlefield better. VC4 uses the concept of wartime children as a cheap heartstrings puller that is never earned, especially in a game where an entire village ostracized a child to the brink of suicide for not allowing the town's prominent rich girl to run into a burning building so she could burn to death.

VC4's story is straight up dogshit.

Fun game to play though.

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Tried twice to get into VC1 for PS3 and the tank control movement was so bad and was harsh that you had one shot each time to move it or else your fuel would run out. Seemed cruel that you couldent move the tank around and then agree to commit to the move or not to get used to the controls. Completely turned me off from progressing in the game, especially if that is the first tank mission. I know tank controls are meant to be a little well tankish but still.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Real talk, how many times does he literally put everyone in the squad in mortal damage because he wants to "kill some imps RAH!!!" is it 5? Is it 7?

Raz should have been arrested in the early game. And the squad lets it pass over and over and over. His redemptive arc is less redemptive and more "my plot armor has been removed". He's still a gigantic unapologetic asshole during his "repentance."
It was quite literal, it removed "invincibility" (not really invincibility) from his skill list!

... But yeah, people say Raz gets redeemed but it's part of the larger character arc of not being an idiot on the battlefield. Which is a redemption but not regarding assgrabbing because assgrabbing is just part of his BBB (bacon booze babes) personality quirk.

Last edited:

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
For some reason Sega decided to not implement regional-pricing in our Steam store, so that's one of the reasons. I'll probably wait for it to hit a major discount before jumping into the game.

Loved most of VC1. Hoping this one has less of the anime tropes and associated cringe-worthy moments.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
2) The demo turned me off, it feels like the game made zero progress QoLwise, like outside of some IQ stuff it could've come out a year after VC1 and I wouldn't have been surprised. Felt janky in ways that I could easily forgive VC1 for, but expected them to sort by now. Felt like it was made on a shoe string budget.

And maybe the game didn't bomb, it seems like it had no real investment behind it so who knows maybe they got their return.

I'll get it at some point when it's super cheap.
Fair critique, VC4 is very similar mechanically to VC1 though with a handful of niceties. Luckily the new campaign and broad new roster ends up being an ample reason to return to the unique SRPG play, and it actually did get several pieces of DLC released monthly after release, if that's what you meant by investment.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because 2018 was an insanely busy year for game releases. Also, it got some negative press for having some really lewd, sexist moments in the game and that turned a lot of people off. Frankly, VC4 deserved the criticism for it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
lmao sure thing buddy, whatever makes you feel better.
I was skeptical that an anime hot spring scene would be in favor of the women but I hadn't gotten that far in the game yet so I didnt want to say anything.

Now that I've finally seen it, I'm just confused why someone would get that impression.

The imperials loudly belittle the presence of the women, Minerva gets talked down and Riley exposes herself to everyone in her attempt to rebut them, just being such an emotional irrational woman that she forgot she was naked in her rush to deliver a lengthy tirade so all the men get a good long look. You aren't even meant to hear her arguments (which is mostly outraged insults) over the "comedy" music and the camera panning over her jokingly censored body.

I just Platinumed the game and this was what I ended up agonizing over. Like okay, it's only a small part of the game. But it's clearly not in favor of the women.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved the demo, Valkyria Chronicles did not have trophies so I passed on it. I only got a PS4 last year so I'll play 4 after I beat VC1 remastered.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the first, but the 4th has no regional pricing in Brazil, so it came at almost 8x the price of the original. Thats a pass for me, at least for now.