• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a no brainer that should've come around 2014-2015.

A barebones upres and higher framerate would've been fine with me, but I would've fucking loved to see them implement the gameplay improvements of Mass Effect 2 and 3 into 1, and remaster ME1 with the ME3 engine. A PC re-release would also be fantastic if it included gamepad support as well.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This feels like a no brainer that should've come around 2014-2015.

A barebones upres and higher framerate would've been fine with me, but I would've fucking loved to see them implement the gameplay improvements of Mass Effect 2 and 3 into 1, and remaster ME1 with the ME3 engine. A PC re-release would also be fantastic if it included gamepad support as well.
I'm hungry for ME after the Andromeda fuck up. I'd buy a remaster day one.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a long while, EA was adamantly against remasters. Burnout Paradise would suggest they're changing their tune, so, I hope these are next!

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
EA waited too long to get into the remaster business by saying that line about only doing remasters if they were creatively bankrupt. Mass Effect remasters woulda been easy money for them 2014-2016.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even care about a remaster or a remake. Just a proper bundle of all three games and all their DLC is desperately needed.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Re-add the cut gay romance to 1 (and add a continuation to 2) and I'll buy it.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
but I would've fucking loved to see them implement the gameplay improvements of Mass Effect 2 and 3 into 1, and remaster ME1 with the ME3 engine.

Back when the, then, general manager of Bioware was getting input on what folk wanted in a remaster he said the following on that topic.

The "ME3 combat mechanics in ME1" comes up relatively often, but it's not on my radar (again, speaking personally). First it would be a helluva lot of work. Second, I hate the idea of us being accused of "retconning" ME1. Third (and I bet everyone on NeoGAF knows this), there are those who prefer ME1...

So given that all that, it doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

I wonder if EA just doesn't want to licence UE3 again. If the XB1 versions of the trilogy get 4k support with the X that's really only one platform with the PS4 that would not have the game running at "modern" resolutions. Wouldn't factor in the DLC nightmare that the PC version has to put up with though.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
They waited too long, then Andromeda was just around the bend, and now the well is poisoned..

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Seems like EA's policy on remasters is that they dont want a remaster to eat into the potential release of a new game, so they probably wouldnt of wanted an ME trilogy port to kill sales of andromeda, or a bad company 2 remake to effect Battlefield 1 etc.

Now that andromeda was a mess hopefully EA ports the trilogy over. Playing on PC is still the best way but the DLC issue is still a mess. The ME2 and ME3 dlc bundles cost £45 altogether and that is ridiculous

Port all three in 1080P 60FPS with all DLC ( maybe even ME3 stellar multiplayer if they feel generous) and make it £30.

Mass effect games with there lighting and cinematography still look absolutely amazing so a full remake is completely pointless, and i dont know why any fan would want a frostbite port after the technically mess that was andromeda.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
If the recent Burnout Paradise remaster will be successful for EA, there is actually a chance that this may happen.

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
We'll probably get one when they want to revive the series - it'll be on hiatus after Andromeda.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Seriously? 3 massive RPGs with all their DLC remastered and playing perfectly (60 FPS) for £30??? That doesn't sound very realistic in all honesty.

Look id pay even £50 for all three for PS4 honestly, im just comparing it to other ports and remasters

Kingdom hearts hd collection had 4 games, 2 completely remade and also had 2 whole movies and was only £32 on launch. SOTC was a fully remade game and was only £22 , hell i got a deal for it at £12. MGS games hd trilogy was the same price too

Its EA, and it will be £40 if it ever happens. £30 was just a hope for my poor student wallet.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Mass Effect 3 DLC turns the game from a disappointing stupid entry to a disappointing stupid entry with some memorable fun moments. Its the best DLC in the series, and thats saying a lot when Shadow Borker exists.

And then there was the multiplayer which, holy shit, got so much free content. Characters, maps, and they even added the Collectors from Mass Effect 2.

Point is, I hope this collection happens so more people can experience what Bioware added to ME3.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't Microsoft own the rights to the first game?

They published the first one initially on 360, but EA had ownership of Bioware by the time it released on PC in 2008 I believe. As mentioned, ME1 was included in the ME Trilogy for PS3 in 2012 as well, so MS handed over all rights to EA in '08, in all likelyhood that is what secured ME2 as a console-exclusive for 360 for a year.

Feb 1, 2018
They're probably afraid that the internet will blow up in meme hyperbole again like with Andromeda and it would be unprofitable

Y'all killed the franchise.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they haven't tbh, they could just port the PC versions and you'd all still buy it.

In what way? Seemed fine to me.

I haven't played it in a couple of years, but last time I did there was still a bug where gunfire sounds start to cut out and get choppy. There was also a game-breaking bug related to the lava on Therum (the planet you visit to recruit Liara.) And there are so many bad textures in the PC version since they re-used the same ones from the Xbox version.

Feb 1, 2018
Yes the internet killed the franchise, it wasn't an infamous third entry nor a mediocre new entry. Internet memes did.

The gameplay was fine, the writing was subpar, the buggy animations were slowly patched up and improved to a point....but the community reaction was way, way, way over the top. Social media loves to pick targets and drive them into the ground, and you guys eat it up because HAHA FUNNY RYDERS FACE REACTION.GIF

It received a thoroughly disproportional amount of hate. Yes, it wasn't as good as the others, but it's not the travesty that it was made out to be. It could have been a great appetizer until a proper sequel but nope

Now the suits at EA saw that reaction, got scared (because fear is often considered prudential in corporate america) and pretty much threw away the franchise. No nostalgia remaster cash grab for you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If a collection does happen, I wonder if they'd bother with a lower-performance Switch port (as Rockstar/Take-Two did with LA Noire) after the disastrous release of ME3 on Wii U, which was the most obvious miscalculation in the world for a series priding itself on decisions that carry over from one instalment to the next. And I say this partly because the trilogy assembled on a single platform is one of the few last-generation western ports I really do want to see on the Switch.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay was fine, the writing was subpar, the buggy animations were slowly patched up and improved to a point....but the community reaction was way, way, way over the top. Social media loves to pick targets and drive them into the ground, and you guys eat it up because HAHA FUNNY RYDERS FACE REACTION.GIF

It received a thoroughly disproportional amount of hate. Yes, it wasn't as good as the others, but it's not the travesty that it was made out to be.

Now the suits at EA saw that reaction, got scared (because fear is often considered prudential in corporate america) and pretty much threw away the franchise. No nostalgia remaster cash grab for you.

Funny memes made them hand off the franchise to a new developer who took way too long to deliver and gave subpar sales because we all know memes from hardcore gaming communities online directly correlate to general sales. Nevermind that critics weren't as warm with the title which made it look worst compared to the ratings of the other ones, and that the troubled development history and ultimate product looked subpar so people simply didn't go for it.

From someone who played the game yes it was nowhere near as bad as it was joked but to say that gifs and jokes killed it vs a troubled history, ultimately subpar product that didn't measure up to the other titles' nostalgia, and weaker sales than expected all of this while the main team is working on what EA sees as the real profitable product. Many factors are to blame, reaction from the funny faced are likely only a bullet point in a PowerPoint presentation. Sounds more like you hated the memes and jokes and are looking to push all blame on them.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm playing ME1 for the first time on PS3 right now.. Actually started today.
And it seems fine?

A resolution boost would be cool and I would probably buy it, but it's not like it has Devil May Cry 1 level graphics or controls.

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically this and a few other reasons.

Their ME resources have been heavily committed to getting Andromeda up and running during its issues during development.

Also as I understand it, they don't really have a set vision on what to do with some aspects of the older games. I don't have a link for the exact comment so I'll paraphrase — but they are torn between making changes to say, the first ME to make it play more similarly to later ones (combat wise, inventory management etc), and the possibe negative reaction from a portion of their audience who actually feel that ME 1 was actually the best of the three for being much more "RPG-like".

That and EA's official stance is that they prefer making new games to remasters. (Maybe they don't want to deal with old licensing stuff for music/engines/middleware, and also want to ship games where they can introduce new MTX aspects)

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The DLC sells well enough at nearly full price where they don't need to.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
It is a wide combination of various factors, but as mentioned already, a key element was EA not doing remasters. What no one seems to elaborate on is why they weren't doing remasters, which may not be blatantly obvious. EA was not doing remasters because there wasn't that much they could remaster that was in harmony with their new titles. EA Sports franchises are the obvious extreme, but series such as Battlefield and Need for Speed were taken in iterative direction too. I can even imagine that EA could be annoyed if an "outdated" Battlefield was a success.