• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder all the Russian misinformation during the 2016 election worked.

And people here called the ones that fell for it stupid, oh the irony.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because gamers are weak willed and are going to buy the game anyways. I guarantee you a good majority of the people over here making noise about EGS are going to buy any number of the games they are going to "wait for"

Exactly.

The image represents exactly what is bolded above, not sure why the OP is psychoanalyzing this to the point of parody. The very idea that ONE person (let alone 19) would be playing the game after taking the time to research an issue to the point of joining a "Boycott X Game" group on Steam is hilarious and shows exactly how pointless any boycott is when it comes to gaming.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

The image represents exactly what is bolded above, not sure why the OP is psychoanalyzing this to the point of parody. The very idea that ONE person (let alone 19) would be playing the game after taking the time to research an issue to the point of joining a "Boycott X Game" group on Steam is hilarious and shows exactly how pointless any boycott is when it comes to gaming.

So when faced with evidence to the contrary to your point.

You reiterate that the misleading picture that does not support your talking point, actually does support your talking point.

Where is that 'This is ResetEra' gif

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah great joke guys.

You know its a deliberately misleading pic (just a joke!!) and you are dropping it in a conversation that usually high tension and born of frustration so you can further agitate people. There's a name for that kind of joke.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a silly image but I think it's ridiculous to drag an admin for failing to land a joke as if it was a major violation of trust or something. I'd rather have a personal moderation team that makes mistakes than one that just robotically monitors us from a distance.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

It was an open group, anyone could join to troll them, but nah, no one would do that on the internet.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a silly image but I think it's ridiculous to drag an admin for failing to land a joke as if it was a major violation of trust or something. I'd rather have a personal moderation team that makes mistakes than one that just robotically monitors us from a distance.

The troubling fact is that the picture is constantly reposting and referenced whenever a boycott is talked about.

Even after about a decade, people are still not looking at the entire picture.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then make threads whining that a picture that pokes fun of their lack of willpower is invalid and not AKSHUALLY representative of the their collective lack of willpower.
What lack of willpower? Are the people in the screenshot seen playing the game even people that ever intended to boycott anything ever, or just trolls who specifically joined a group to troll and "do it for the lulz" and make meme screenshots that persist on the Interent today, because apparently that's an effective thing to do and will be used to stereotype actual groups and people just use those trolls to shutdown anyone who actually does try to do anything, because even so much as considering the possibility that those were trolls who deliberately joined a group to create a trolly screenshot might be too much, nope, it must be that people don't mean it when they join a group and everyone's full of it, because that's what confirms your person biases and even considering anything else for even a moment is blasphemous and just people being crazy apparently.

God, these discussions are exhausting...

Exactly.

See above. Especially when it only takes like 19 trolls not even deliberately getting together and all organizing that together, but just having the same thought of joining the group and playing it launch to troll people, and then boom, you have a meme image that persists for years, that it apparently only takes that few people to dreail an entire thing and turn it into a meme, well, would trolls do something like that?

Not that that's necessarily what happened, mind. Like I said, I can't remember the exact details of that pic, since it was years ago. But that people are oh-so-convinced that it MUST be people who intended to boycott it and were just weak willed and couldn't resist, and don't even consider for the moment that say COD-fanboys could have easily saw the public group and join it specifically to troll, that people don't consider that just as likely possibility for even a moment, that trolls or fanboys would do such a thing, and toss it around as proof to this day instead that what could just as easily be troll/fanboy fuel as "proof" that boycotts are pointless and don't work and all that speaks for itself regardless, that people don't even consider those other possibilities at all and just use it as proof as the pointlessness of boycotts and not, say, how effective troll and misinformation tactics can be.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean yeah it doesn't take much sleuthing (no offence to OP here) to see through that image, and infer that there's more to it than can be seen at a glance. However, I do not believe entirely that the image is without meaning either, it's just that the meaning is more than '50+% of people do not go through with boycotting'. Rather it's just that as can be clearly seen from the image the act of the boycott itself (which these people took when they joined this group) did not ultimately end up being wholly representative either. A boycott is a strong thing, and ideally people should only boycott when they definitely intend to do so to the end, which again clearly wasn't the case here. So yeah I feel the image is still useful whenever a boycott is threatened especially regarding video games. It's just a reality that people generally don't go through with these sorts things. I know I have in the past and I don't really do this sorta thing much either.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The troubling fact is that the picture is constantly reposting and referenced whenever a boycott is talked about.

Even after about a decade, people are still not looking at the entire picture.

Oh it's definitely worth bringing up the image in this way to make sure no one else falls into using it, but I just hope it doesn't turn into some bash-session of the admin making a silly mistake.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I see now so this thread is just about some other thread where someone did something that rubbed the OP the wrong way.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Hey, y'know maybe it's true that game boycotts haven't worked historically. We have some evidence that review bombs do tho

uh oh

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
If you post that picture in this day and age, you've no right to be mad at people accusing you of posting in bad faith / trolling.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I see now so this thread is just about some other thread where someone did something that rubbed the OP the wrong way.
Or instead of trolling and misrepresenting the issue, you can read posts like mine where I replied to you and clearly explained there's definitely more to it than that, but you do you I guess. Just in case you did miss it though:
What lack of willpower? Are the people in the screenshot seen playing the game even people that ever intended to boycott anything ever, or just trolls who specifically joined a group to troll and "do it for the lulz" and make meme screenshots that persist on the Interent today, because apparently that's an effective thing to do and will be used to stereotype actual groups and people just use those trolls to shutdown anyone who actually does try to do anything, because even so much as considering the possibility that those were trolls who deliberately joined a group to create a trolly screenshot might be too much, nope, it must be that people don't mean it when they join a group and everyone's full of it, because that's what confirms your person biases and even considering anything else for even a moment is blasphemous and just people being crazy apparently.

See above. Especially when it only takes like 19 trolls not even deliberately getting together and all organizing that together, but just having the same thought of joining the group and playing it launch to troll people, and then boom, you have a meme image that persists for years, that it apparently only takes that few people to dreail an entire thing and turn it into a meme, well, would trolls do something like that?

Not that that's necessarily what happened, mind. Like I said, I can't remember the exact details of that pic, since it was years ago. But that people are oh-so-convinced that it MUST be people who intended to boycott it and were just weak willed and couldn't resist, and don't even consider for the moment that say COD-fanboys could have easily saw the public group and join it specifically to troll, that people don't consider that just as likely possibility for even a moment, that trolls or fanboys would do such a thing, and toss it around as proof to this day instead that what could just as easily be troll/fanboy fuel as "proof" that boycotts are pointless and don't work and all that speaks for itself regardless, that people don't even consider those other possibilities at all and just use it as proof as the pointlessness of boycotts and not, say, how effective troll and misinformation tactics can be.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

imrs.php

Climate change is a hoax, it is snowing outside right now.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or instead of trolling and misrepresenting the issue, you can read posts like mine where I replied to you and clearly explained there's definitely more to it than that, but you do you I guess. Just in case you did miss it though:

I read yours, it made no sense in response to my post and was just full of wild theories and speculation on who did what and why with zero evidence. It's the image we're talking about full-stop and it represents perfectly the hypocrisy of "gaming boycotts".

I will keep doing me and laughing at that totally-appropriate image though whenever it is posted.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, y'know maybe it's true that game boycotts haven't worked historically. We have some evidence that review bombs do tho

uh oh

But you can't review bomb that is just childish and uncivilized. No, you must say you are going to boycott, so we can post that picture and mock you for being too weak-willed to carry it out. We will also allow you to say you aren't going to buy the game silently on your own, ie not an organized boycott, but only so we can also point out that for a AAA game the sales will be amazing and your lack of sale means nothing.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Was COD ever that big on PC? Not sure what your last two paragraphs have to do with the thesis of this thread...

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imrs.php

Climate change is a hoax, it is snowing outside right now.
What? Do you actually have a point you want to say clearly? Is it really that crazy, that so much as 20 trolls/COD fanboys exist on PC that would deliberately join a group to troll? That's any less believable than this whole "oh, people joined a group to boycott a game, but they're all just weak-willed based on 20 people in like an 800 people group playing a game, that were all know are definitely legitimate, and not just fanboys/trolls who joined just to troll" because... why exactly again? What's wrong with what I said, without comparing me to some climate change-denying piece of shit Republican who belongs nowhere near any elected office anywhere? That's completely unnecessary and uncalled for, no matter how you feel or if you agree with me or not.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do you have an actual argument or are you just going to sit there and compare the poster to a climate denier?

Knowing the comparison is completely disengeous?

I"m not talking about Shiron.

But wait, a disengeous comparison?

"It's just a joke"

What? Do you actually have a point you want to say clearly? Is it really that crazy, that so much as 20 trolls/COD fanboys exist on PC that would deliberately join a group to troll? That's any less believable than this whole "oh, people joined a group to boycott a game, but they're all just weak-willed based on 20 people in like an 800 people group playing a game, that were all know are definitely legitimate, and not just fanboys/trolls who joined just to troll" because... why exactly again? What's wrong with what I said, without comparing me to some climate change-denying piece of shit Republican who belongs nowhere near any elected office anywhere? That's completely unnecessary and uncalled for, no matter how you feel or if you agree with me or not.

I'm not talking about you, I quoted your post with an example of a disinformation campaign.

You missed that I've been railing this picture the entire thread, lmao.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I read yours, it made no sense in response to my post and was just full of wild theories and speculation on who did what and why with zero evidence. It's the image we're talking about full-stop and it represents perfectly the hypocrisy of "gaming boycotts".

I will keep doing me and laughing at that totally-appropriate image though whenever it is posted.

So you are saying it's speculation at how Steam User groups work? Or that there were 17 pages of users? Or that the only ones playing MW2 at the time were all on the first pages?

Which of these points is theories and speculation?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of this pic is to show these types of petty online "boycotts" don't work. That's not to say boycotts can't work, but it needs more time, organization, and leadership that most gamers aren't willing to put in the effort towards. You can apply that to basically every facet of geek culture.

I mean have you looked into the conversation around Captain Marvel? That's basically operating under the same principal.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

"It's just a joke"

I'm not talking about you, I quoted your post with an example of a disinformation campaign.

Oh, you probably should have hinting you were just adding onto what Shiron said, cause those type of comparison have become common In the current social media climate.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"It's just a joke"

Sorry, that wasn't very clear at all. And I did miss that, because well, I'm one of those people that identify people primarily by avatar and not by name, and since you don't have one, you kind of just blend in to me, and without that, it's not very clear what the context was and who you were trying to target with that picture at all. So my bad there then.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you didn't read this thread, or anything, because the entire purpose of this thread is that that stupid meme picture is misleading and doesn't in fact prove anything at all, and that's why it's so terrible: that it gets reposted all over the place anyway as if it does.

And that's why I can't take any "it's just a joke" stuff seriously, because people do indeed believe it does prove something, and that's why the air needs to be cleared about stuff like this and why these conversations are important: to fight exactly this kind of misinformation.
The thread isnt based in reality. There's good reason to believe that boycotts aren't effective and they people end up using the product anyway other than some meme. The mistake OP makes is assuming that people are basing the belief around a meme instead of simply using the meme to illustrate an actual phenomenon.

People should take it seriously, it's real.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It's always funny when people say "gamer boycotts don't work" in these conversations, when among PC gamers they provably have many times.

Re: Always Online DRM
Re: Paid Online Gaming
Re: Paid Mods

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The thread isnt based in reality. There's good reason to believe that boycotts aren't effective and they people end up using the product anyway other than some meme. The mistake OP makes is assuming that people are basing the belief around a meme instead of simply using the meme to illustrate an actual phenomenon.

People should take it seriously, it's real.

But the picture is not evidence of this phenomenon.... because it's being misrepresented.

If you can't get that, then you seen operating on your feelings over visual evidence.

No far not a single person has addressed the OPs point besides reiterating that the picture is an example of a failed boycott. Using the same faulty logic from a decade ago.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny when people say "gamer boycotts don't work" in these conversations, when among PC gamers they provably have many times.

Re: Always Online DRM
Re: Paid Online Gaming
Re: Paid Mods

Shush, you.

It. Doesn't. Work.

Doesn't matter all those times that we have as proof that it work, it just doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.