• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you find yourself saying "I have this great idea, but I can't make a thread. What do I do?" Do you find yourself saying "I have these great thread starting privileges, but no ideas for a thread. What do I do? If your answer is "yes" to either of those questions, then this thread may be for you.

As you know, anybody who joined after the site went "live" with open registration cannot make a thread until they've been a member for 60 days and have accumulated 100 posts. We've received a bunch of requests recently from people without thread starting privileges asking "what can I do to start a thread?" Well here's your chance.

If you have an idea for a thread but cannot start one, post in this thread that you're looking for help making a thread and describe what your thread would be about.

If you have shiny thread-making privileges, feel free to take a look at requests in this thread to help out a fellow ResetEra user.

Once your thread has been posted by another user, please edit your original submission post to indicate that the thread has been posted. Something like "Thread has been posted" should be sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Had this idea for a while

Title of the thread: "Your biggest delusion"
Message: "We all talk very often about game we enjoy, we have loved and we want to play. A great amount of threads talk about videogames in an optimistic manner, but today I want to ask you: what is your biggest delusion? What is the game you've waited for a while, that you wanted to play, and find yourself not liking it, or worst, hating it? For me this game is MGSV:TPP."

Wanted to make this thread for a while, curious about what game made users's hearts break, for all the wrong reasons.
I'll be glad if anyone want to make it for me

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had this idea for a while

Title of the thread: "Your biggest delusion"
Message: "We all talk very often about game we enjoy, we have loved and we want to play. A great amount of threads talk about videogames in an optimistic manner, but today I want to ask you: what is your biggest delusion? What is the game you've waited for a while, that you wanted to play, and find yourself not liking it, or worst, hating it? For me this game is MGSV:TPP."

Wanted to make this thread for a while, curious about what game made users's hearts break, for all the wrong reasons.
I'll be glad if anyone want to make it for me
I got you.

Oct 27, 2017
Title of thread: Half a year later, what do you think of Persona 5?

Message: Huge Persona fan here who was thinking about how much he missed playing Persona 5 today. Honestly, one of the best games this year, if not, I ever played. Super stylish, amazing soundtrack, really cohesive and customizable gameplay, and super fun dungeons to explore through.

Although looking back, there were three things that bugged me.

1. The lack of group chemistry, compared to 3 and 4, I felt like the 5 cast were just business partners most of the time. There was a great dynamic between Yusuke, Makoto, Ann, Ryuji, and the MC, but Makoto felt like she didn't appear for anything and everything she did appear for was cut short. Even worse with Haru and Futaba, they straight up joined us on nothing except for the school festival if you even count that. Felt like the game was rushed in this aspect and hope it gets an overhaul in the eventual revision.

2. The handling of Haru, wow what a missed opportunity. I said some stuff about the group dynamic with Makoto and Futaba, but Haru as a whole was such a rushed and underdeveloped character. We saw everyone else go through trials, what made them who they are, etc. Haru just kind of joined as a result of circumstance and we never got to see her grow or have any special moments either in the story or her social link due to the rushed climax. Which brings me to my third point...

3. The rushed climax. Okay, ending spoiler time.
This almost made me dislike the game actually, the fact that they made so much group discourse for no reason, leading to a solid third of the game just going home half the time was so annoying. Doesn't help that you get another two months in the game where you're straight up in jail.Coupled in with the fact that nothing really significant happened between the three end dungeons, except for a "well that didn't work moment." I'll give it to Sojiro, him confronting Futaba and the MC about being Phantom Thieves was great. Persona 5 is a solid 9/10 for me, but if they could rework the the last third with the aspects listed fixed, it could very well be perfect.

What do y'all think?

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi,

So last night, on a whim, I re-installed Mass Effect Andromeda. I bought the game day one, and was surprised to learn, last night, that I had stopped playing after just 7 hours. Honestly, it felt longer than that.

Here's the thing... I have two GTX 1080s and a Gsync monitor, and Andromeda never felt smooth to me. I remember fussing with graphics settings, and never being pleased.

Last night I just maxed everything out, and was surprised by three things 1) how smooth the game was, 2) how good it looked (I hadn't realized how high the production values were, and 3) how much fun I had. I mean, it's a fun third person shooter.

I'm on a hot desert world (I have absolutely no memory of arriving there) which might account for the smooth performance - not sure.

But anyway, I went to post about this, but couldn't find the official "Mass Effect Andromeda: post your hatred here!" thread.

Is there one?

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Title of thread: Half a year later, what do you think of Persona 5?

Message: Huge Persona fan here who was thinking about how much he missed playing Persona 5 today. Honestly, one of the best games this year, if not, I ever played. Super stylish, amazing soundtrack, really cohesive and customizable gameplay, and super fun dungeons to explore through.

Although looking back, there were three things that bugged me.

1. The lack of group chemistry, compared to 3 and 4, I felt like the 5 cast were just business partners most of the time. There was a great dynamic between Yusuke, Makoto, Ann, Ryuji, and the MC, but Makoto felt like she didn't appear for anything and everything she did appear for was cut short. Even worse with Haru and Futaba, they straight up joined us on nothing except for the school festival if you even count that. Felt like the game was rushed in this aspect and hope it gets an overhaul in the eventual revision.

2. The handling of Haru, wow what a missed opportunity. I said some stuff about the group dynamic with Makoto and Futaba, but Haru as a whole was such a rushed and underdeveloped character. We saw everyone else go through trials, what made them who they are, etc. Haru just kind of joined as a result of circumstance and we never got to see her grow or have any special moments either in the story or her social link due to the rushed climax. Which brings me to my third point...

3. The rushed climax. Okay, ending spoiler time.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
What do y'all think?

I'll do it

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hi,

So last night, on a whim, I re-installed Mass Effect Andromeda. I bought the game day one, and was surprised to learn, last night, that I had stopped playing after just 7 hours. Honestly, it felt longer than that.

Here's the thing... I have two GTX 1080s and a Gsync monitor, and Andromeda never felt smooth to me. I remember fussing with graphics settings, and never being pleased.

Last night I just maxed everything out, and was surprised by three things 1) how smooth the game was, 2) how good it looked (I hadn't realized how high the production values were, and 3) how much fun I had. I mean, it's a fun third person shooter.

I'm on a hot desert world (I have absolutely no memory of arriving there) which might account for the smooth performance - not sure.

But anyway, I went to post about this, but couldn't find the official "Mass Effect Andromeda: post your hatred here!" thread.

Is there one?

I'll do this too :)

Title?

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see a thread on it so might not be widespread: just checked my PSN wishlist and it has just one game, from 13 or 14 I had before. Every sale (usually Tuesdays) , I just check my wishlist and see what's on sale from it. Now it's is it one. Anyone else? Checking from mobile browser.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, this is actually a great idea! I had one in my head recently but I kinda forgot it lol. Still, glad you guys are helping members without posting privileges out.

Wesley-Σ

Oct 26, 2017
If you need a thread posted, just quote me with your title and body and I will post it for you.

As long as it is appropriate, of course.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone make a "Your favorite bad videogame quote" thread?

Please use this masterpiece from Kingdom Hearts 3D as reference

eef7fec115b305948f4cc4ad8b0072ae604c976d_hq.gif

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be happy to wait the two months so that I can officially post threads of my own, but for the time being, I wanted to ask if someone could do me a small favor and make a thread of

Title: "The Best Music featured on Nintendo Switch."

Message: I wanted to see if I could make a possible video to highlight the Switch's first year by mashing up the best ones together. Something like the "Switch it up!" video on youtube. So what have been some of the stand out songs from the Switch that you find yourself coming back to?

A simple request if anyone could do that, and I'd be grateful for the assistance. If not, I suppose I can wait it out (although I'd like to see if it could be done before the year is out). Also if you like to add anything to the initial post, go ahead. It was a quickie post I wanted to get out to start generating interest and ideas.

Edit: I don't know how long this thread will be available after the next two months or so, but I'll definitely like to help out with this too once I get the ability to post articles too. ^__^

Oct 25, 2017
I'm available to post on your behalf for anything on the Video Game board.

Just quote/message me so I get notified that you need something to post.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone make a "Your favorite bad videogame quote" thread?

Please use this masterpiece from Kingdom Hearts 3D as reference

eef7fec115b305948f4cc4ad8b0072ae604c976d_hq.gif

I'll be happy to wait the two months so that I can officially post threads of my own, but for the time being, I wanted to ask if someone could do me a small favor and make a thread of

Title: "The Best Music featured on Nintendo Switch."

Message: I wanted to see if I could make a possible video to highlight the Switch's first year by mashing up the best ones together. Something like the "Switch it up!" video on youtube. So what have been some of the stand out songs from the Switch that you find yourself coming back to?

A simple request if anyone could do that, and I'd be grateful for the assistance. If not, I suppose I can wait it out (although I'd like to see if it could be done before the year is out). Also if you like to add anything to the initial post, go ahead. It was a quickie post I wanted to get out to start generating interest and ideas.

Edit: I don't know how long this thread will be available after the next two months or so, but I'll definitely like to help out with this too once I get the ability to post articles too. ^__^

I have your back

Desma

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, but I didn't mean a 1:1 copy of my post.

Can you edit it with: "You know those quotes in videogames that are so bad, that you can help but love them? Please post them here

I personally love this one from KH 3D. Xehanort is another character in the series, so what he's saying is that he's already half that person"

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Awesome idea!

Two questions: 1. Did you guys decrease the post count required to become a member? 2. Can we request people here to make threads/OTs that were already made on the old forum? I have something very specific regarding RDR2 we can discuss here.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm pretty sure the post count needs to be 200, where previously it was 300.
I was asking about Reset. I swear it was 100 posts, 2 months just a few days ago.

Edit: Apparently it still is, or is it?!?

III. Junior status

After your account is approved, you'll begin as a Junior Member. This is your chance to prove your worth to the community and also the most critical period for the future of your account. If you break a rule as a junior member, you may be permanently banned which means you can no longer actively participate in discussions.

There is no 'Junior' tag. Everyone has 'Member' tag going forward.

In order to move from being a Junior Member to a full Member, two conditions must be met: (1) 60 days must have passed since your account was approved and (2) you must have made at least 100 posts. Once these two conditions are met, your account will automatically be upgraded to Member status.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/faq.315/

Deleted member 4541

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to thank the guy that spoilered the P5 ending, you're good people.

(I still haven't finished it & ive somehow managed to avoided ALL spoilers)

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Edit - I'd like this posted, should have been more specific

Solution needed - persistent PSN error prevents me from buying games or extending my PS Plus membership

"We've encountered an error while processing your order. Your transaction has not been completed. Please try again later."

I can't buy anything without getting this error, whether I'm on the PS4 itself, the phone app, the browser store, etc... Tried in the morning before work. Error. Tried at lunch. Error. Tried after work. Error. Tried at 4:30 in the morning when I was up with our 6-week old...Error.

I tried two separate credit cards, both of which work with every other store out there - Steam, Xbox Live, BestBuy, etc... and get this error message. I tried switching to PayPal - got it to work once by using the browser store and bought NHL 18 that way a couple weeks ago. That payment method won't work anymore.

Sony support was zero help. I searched the issue and tried all kinds of 'this might work' remedies from around the Internet, including waiting 24/48/72 hours between attempts, trying different browsers, and even trying different network providers.

My PS Plus ran out because I couldn't extend it. I could have gone to buy a card at the store, but what's the point of having it if I can't buy games? I'm not willing to load up my wallet using cards just for the privilege of giving them money, I can buy games on other platforms instead - where my credit cards/PayPal account work as payment - and I don't have to carry an excess balance waiting for the next purchase.

Last edited:

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Solution needed - persistent PSN error prevents me from buying games or extending my PS Plus membership

"We've encountered an error while processing your order. Your transaction has not been completed. Please try again later."

I can't buy anything without getting this error, whether I'm on the PS4 itself, the phone app, the browser store, etc... Tried in the morning before work. Error. Tried at lunch. Error. Tried after work. Error. Tried at 4:30 in the morning when I was up with our 6-week old...Error.

I tried two separate credit cards, both of which work with every other store out there - Steam, Xbox Live, BestBuy, etc... and get this error message. I tried switching to PayPal - got it to work once by using the browser store and bought NHL 18 that way a couple weeks ago. That payment method won't work anymore.

Sony support was zero help. I searched the issue and tried all kinds of 'this might work' remedies from around the Internet, including waiting 24/48/72 hours between attempts, trying different browsers, and even trying different network providers.

My PS Plus ran out because I couldn't extend it. I could have gone to buy a card at the store, but what's the point of having it if I can't buy games? I'm not willing to load up my wallet using cards just for the privilege of giving them money, I can buy games on other platforms instead - where my credit cards/PayPal account work as payment - and I don't have to carry an excess balance waiting for the next purchase.

I can do this too.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting idea. Essentially means that anybody with a good idea for a thread can see it on the forum from day one, but only if they get approval from an established member.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rowlf I was hoping you guys would lift the Junior requirement until well after the NeoGAF migration was complete. Everyone already went through Junior hell over there, sucks not being able to make threads again after being able to for so long! :( I mean I will live, but resorting to asking someone else to do it kinda stinks.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
Hey, can I suggest something?

I don't know if that is possible, but maybe is a good idea promove users that are game developers to full members, so they can bring news of their games to here (maybe something exclusive, like a new image) and chat directly with all the users that are interested in their games.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rowlf

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Awesome idea!

Two questions: 1. Did you guys decrease the post count required to become a member? 2. Can we request people here to make threads/OTs that were already made on the old forum? I have something very specific regarding RDR2 we can discuss here.
1. Nope, that was a typo on my part.
2. If either you OR the person you're requesting to repost the thread were the original thread creator, go for it. NeoGAF is granted a non-exclusive license to use your posted content (same as us), so the original poster is free to reproduce their content here. If someone else created it, then you may restart a new OT or thread on similar subject matter, but you may not simply copy the thread.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Do you find yourself saying "I have this great idea, but I can't make a thread. What do I do?" Do you find yourself saying "I have these great thread starting privileges, but no ideas for a thread. What do I do? If your answer is "yes" to either of those questions, then this thread may be for you.

As you know, anybody who joined after the site went "live" with open registration cannot make a thread until they've been a member for 60 days and have accumulated 100 posts. We've received a bunch of requests recently from people without thread starting privileges asking "what can I do to start a thread?" Well here's your chance.

If you have an idea for a thread but cannot start one, post in this thread that you're looking for help making a thread and describe what your thread would be about.

If you have shiny thread-making privileges, feel free to take a look at requests in this thread to help out a fellow ResetEra user.
You should sticky this thread!

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
Hi all:

I didn't mind waiting to earn my stripes, but this "adoption" idea is brilliant!

My topic: "20 Years Later, Does Super Mario 64 Hold Up?"

My post to initiate discussion:

"Let me preface this by stating that I've yet to even touch Mario Odyssey and it is one of my most anticipated games of perhaps the past decade.

Here goes: After seeing many lists of the best Mario games of all-time featuring Super Mario 64 at the top, or very near to the top, I simply cannot understand: I'm of the opinion that Super Mario 64 has aged terribly, and perhaps was not very good to begin with.

While the controls are outstanding and navigating the world is undeniably fun, and I grant you that the game was a landmark title that demonstrated the potential of 3d gaming and the analogue stick like no game before it, I believe the core game design failed for one reason, repetition.

Prior to Mario 64, collection in Mario games was optional, and every level, even if themed to fit a world, was different from the one before it.

In Super Mario 64 however, completion was the name of the game. I believe the design to be based on hardware constraints: how can a designer, using the limited memory available and the few brilliantly laid out levels give the player more to do? The answer was not what I expected or wanted. Many levels required retreading of the EXACT same pathways with little or no variety to get to the same endpoint. And collecting 100 coins for a star is the busiest of work.

Two of the more egregious examples include: navigation to King Bob-omb in the first world, and navigation to the flag for the footrace with Koopa the Quick; and the navigation to the underwater cavern at least three times for different stars in the Hazy Maze Cave.

Super Mario Sunshine evolved the concept as far as it could go - to my dismay - and I for one couldn't believe how great Galaxy was after these two preceding games because of the endless variety it offered, with few worlds featuring retreading in the vein of Super Mario 64 (mainly the beach levels in Galaxy 1).

Now Odyssey is upon us and I'm somewhat dreading a return to the Super Mario 64 formula, even though I trust these developers with my life and enjoyed the miniature puzzles the Koroks presented in Breath of the Wild.

For me, Mario variety is the spice of platforming life. And Odyssey seems to have it in spades based on the limited bits I've seen.

TL;DR/Summary: Question then is, playing Super Mario 64 today, do you think it has aged well, and freeing yourself of the burden of nostalgia, was it ever really, TRULY a great game? If anyone here has played it for the very first time, what's your opinion? How do you think it should stack up to the majestic Galaxy games, or even the amaze-balls 3D World, today? Was it simply too repetitive for its own good?"

Thanks much to anyone who wants to help... if anyone does... :(

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all:

I didn't mind waiting to earn my stripes, but this "adoption" idea is brilliant!

My topic: "20 Years Later, Does Super Mario 64 Hold Up?"

My post to initiate discussion:

"Let me preface this by stating that I've yet to even touch Mario Odyssey and it is one of my most anticipated games of perhaps the past decade.

Here goes: After seeing many lists of the best Mario games of all-time featuring Super Mario 64 at the top, or very near to the top, I simply cannot understand: I'm of the opinion that Super Mario 64 has aged terribly, and perhaps was not very good to begin with.

While the controls are outstanding and navigating the world is undeniably fun, and I grant you that the game was a landmark title that demonstrated the potential of 3d gaming and the analogue stick like no game before it, I believe the core game design failed for one reason, repetition.

Prior to Mario 64, collection in Mario games was optional, and every level, even if themed to fit a world, was different from the one before it.

In Super Mario 64 however, completion was the name of the game. I believe the design to be based on hardware constraints: how can a designer, using the limited memory available and the few brilliantly laid out levels give the player more to do? The answer was not what I expected or wanted. Many levels required retreading of the EXACT same pathways with little or no variety to get to the same endpoint. And collecting 100 coins for a star is the busiest of work.

Two of the more egregious examples include: navigation to King Bob-omb in the first world, and navigation to the flag for the footrace with Koopa the Quick; and the navigation to the underwater cavern at least three times for different stars in the Hazy Maze Cave.

Super Mario Sunshine evolved the concept as far as it could go - to my dismay - and I for one couldn't believe how great Galaxy was after these two preceding games because of the endless variety it offered, with few worlds featuring retreading in the vein of Super Mario 64 (mainly the beach levels in Galaxy 1).

Now Odyssey is upon us and I'm somewhat dreading a return to the Super Mario 64 formula, even though I trust these developers with my life and enjoyed the miniature puzzles the Koroks presented in Breath of the Wild.

For me, Mario variety is the spice of platforming life. And Odyssey seems to have it in spades based on the limited bits I've seen.

TL;DR/Summary: Question then is, playing Super Mario 64 today, do you think it has aged well, and freeing yourself of the burden of nostalgia, was it ever really, TRULY a great game? If anyone here has played it for the very first time, what's your opinion? How do you think it should stack up to the majestic Galaxy games, or even the amaze-balls 3D World, today? Was it simply too repetitive for its own good?"

Thanks much to anyone who wants to help... if anyone does... :(
Give me a minute, I'll throw this on there for ya.

Edit: done https://www.resetera.com/threads/20-years-later-does-super-mario-64-hold-up.3003/

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'd love a thread focused on card-based strategy games / RPGs. There was a small niche thread on the old forums that talked about them. It's been a pretty good year for them with Phantom Dust getting re-released and Culdcept getting it's first western release in over a decade. Not sure if it makes sense in Video Games or Video Game Hangouts.

I'd eventually like there to be a thread to discuss proper rogue-likes sans rogue-lites / games with just procedural generation. A thread for talking about NetHack, ADOM, and contemporaries like ToME and Caves of Qud, but not so much games like Rogue Legacy or Spelunky. I wouldn't mind creating the thread myself once I get thread creating privileges, but I also wouldn't mind if someone else had the same idea / interest in creating an OT.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say this half in jest (only half), but a PSA thread telling people not to use 'hide text' as a spoiler function would be pretty nice. It's nonsense to have to go through the hassle of quoting a post just to see the spoiler. Leave hide text for stuff that only forum members need to be able to see like invitations to a discord or whatnot.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have a Gameboy micro love thread yet? Not that I have much to add to it, I just liked all the pictures.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a thread focused on card-based strategy games / RPGs..
We gotta get a College Basketball thread going over in the hangouts in etcetra
Do we have a Gameboy micro love thread yet? Not that I have much to add to it, I just liked all the pictures.
If you guys don't run into someone who will specifically make a thread on these for you, you can make the Title and Body of the thread and place them here so someone who has posting privileges can toss it up for you.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Title: Switch Owners: Your top/favourite 'Indie' Games

Body: Switch Owners, what are your favourite Indie games on the Eshop? You can list them however you want. I've played SWD2, and I know all about golf story and stardew, just wanted to see what others love for future downtimes

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title: Switch Owners: Your top/favourite 'Indie' Games

Body: Switch Owners, what are your favourite Indie games on the Eshop? You can list them however you want. I've played SWD2, and I know all about golf story and stardew, just wanted to see what others love for future downtimes
Will post momentarily

Edit: Welp, too slow there lol

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Steam SHMUP Dump

I wanted to make a thread of shoot 'em up games on Steam. I figured it would have a directory for the main thread, and news and discussion thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.