• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I just thought this would be interesting. Taken from a Gamasutra article

Title: AIAS launches new game dev podcast 'The Game Makers Notebook'
The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) has launched 'The Game Makers Notebook,' a new podcast focused on the "inner workings of game makers and game makings."

The show will be hosted by Insomniac Games founder and CEO Ted Price, and will feature a series of in-depth, one-on-one conversations with developers.

Episode 1 is out right now, and includes interviews with Brendan 'PlayerUnknown' Greene and Guerrilla Games' managing director Hermen Hulst. You can give it a listen right here.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont think it has been posted before, but yesterday I saw a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkDuK8fBR0 spanish though) which touches on a very interesting subject, which is how piracy affects final sales. The story goes that the EU ordered a huge study on this subject, how piracy affected final sales on games, movies, books, music. Over 30,000 people were surveyed in Germany, France, Poland, Spain, Sweden and the UK and the results were that piracy only really affected movie sales and in the case of games, it actually boosted sales. The study's result didn't seem to be what the EU expected/wanted and they hid the results and it was just recently published about a month ago because this german parliament woman submitted a complaint about it under the free information act (or similar).

Key points:
- Piracy doesn't affect game sales (people who pirate wouldn't buy the game anyways)
- Piracy only really affects movies, study suggests people would pay for movies if tickets were a bit cheaper
- Games are helped by piracy in case people really like the product
- Consoles with highest piracy were also the consoles that sold the most (ps2, ds, gameboy, ps1, wii)

I just think this is very interesting, because if piracy really doesn't affect game sales (and if any, it actually helps), this should probably convince publishers to not include DRM at all.

Study Link:
https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

EDIT: Done

Last edited:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I think this may be thread worthy but I can't create any. The old BB price error deal with the Pokemon double trainer pack that was priced at $11-ish instead of the regular price, all orders were canceled but mine just shipped! Would be worth it for people to check their orders and see.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Title:
EDIT: My thread was posted*

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

Working on this now.

I just thought this would be interesting. Taken from a Gamasutra article

Title: AIAS launches new game dev podcast 'The Game Makers Notebook'

Working on this as well

I dont think it has been posted before, but yesterday I saw a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkDuK8fBR0 spanish though) which touches on a very interesting subject, which is how piracy affects final sales. The story goes that the EU ordered a huge study on this subject, how piracy affected final sales on games, movies, books, music. Over 30,000 people were surveyed in Germany, France, Poland, Spain, Sweden and the UK and the results were that piracy only really affected movie sales and in the case of games, it actually boosted sales. The study's result didn't seem to be what the EU expected/wanted and they hid the results and it was just recently published about a month ago because this german parliament woman submitted a complaint about it under the free information act (or similar).

Key points:
- Piracy doesn't affect game sales (people who pirate wouldn't buy the game anyways)
- Piracy only really affects movies, study suggests people would pay for movies if tickets were a bit cheaper
- Games are helped by piracy in case people really like the product
- Consoles with highest piracy were also the consoles that sold the most (ps2, ds, gameboy, ps1, wii)

I just think this is very interesting, because if piracy really doesn't affect game sales (and if any, it actually helps), this should probably convince publishers to not include DRM at all.

Study Link:
https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

Title?

Title: Halo: Combat Evolved is now 16 years old

"Happy birthday, Halo: Combat Evolved! The game that started it all celebrates its sweet sixteen today. What are your favorite memories of this legendary adventure?"

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/930856271640588289?p=v

DOsQN8JUQAA-xKQ.jpg

Release Date: 15th November 2001

Working on this now as well. Your image link is broken though, can you post the link here please?

I posted one from Wiki:

Done:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/halo-combat-evolved-is-now-16-years-old.6281/

Last edited:

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Posted, but it doesn't look like the images are working. Do you have the original link?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/hq-trivia-1-vs-100k.6286/

Yes here they are.

1st imgae: https://abload.de/img/32acf5f0-bdac-11e7-84oxun7.jpg

2nd: https://abload.de/img/hqx0row.png

Also for some reason, the post looks like its all in italics could be from copying the quoted post. Mind try highlighting all the text and tapping the italics on then off to see if it fixes it?

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to make a thread about Kotaku's integrity. I have been wondering myself why people cirticize kotaku so much, and i have larnt about a website that gathers facts about gamin journalists, and that points out to strange things.There are also recent events, like Patrick Klepek publishing a news about someone who claimed to be harassed at EA. It is now proved to be an hoax, but was Patrick Klepek really unaware of it. I think that there are a lot of things to ask about Kotaku, and insce some members are journallists, it could be constructive to have a discussion and try to shed light on things.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Yes here they are.

1st imgae: https://abload.de/img/32acf5f0-bdac-11e7-84oxun7.jpg

2nd: https://abload.de/img/hqx0row.png

Also for some reason, the post looks like its all in italics could be from copying the quoted post. Mind try highlighting all the text and tapping the italics on then off to see if it fixes it?

Uggh, I was able to fix the text formatting, but this site really sucks when it comes to images..... Nothing friggen' works 1/2 the time. I'll keep trying to get them to appear.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Uggh, I was able to fix the text formatting, but this site really sucks when it comes to images..... Nothing friggen' works 1/2 the time. I'll keep trying to get them to appear.

So strange I have zero issue with those links working at all. They're also not hosted on Imgur so there should be no https issue. It's the recommended hosting site.

Cool the images work, can you move the first one to be above all of the text, right now both are smack in the middle.

Edit: sorry if this is a lot of work, I would have assumed you could just hit quote on my post and hit the plain text button in the editor then copied and just paste it.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
So strange I have zero issue with those links working at all. They're also not hosted on Imgur so there should be no https issue. It's the recommended hosting site.

Cool the images work, can you move the first one to be above all of the text, right now both are smack in the middle.

Edit: sorry if this is a lot of work, I would have assumed you could just hit quote on my post and hit the plain text button in the editor then copied and just paste it.

The image tools on this site are so frustrating...

I'm trying to edit the post, but no image link appears, so I cannot move it...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would like to make a thread about Kotaku's integrity. I have been wondering myself why people cirticize kotaku so much, and i have larnt about a website that gathers facts about gamin journalists, and that points out to strange things.There are also recent events, like Patrick Klepek publishing a news about someone who claimed to be harassed at EA. It is now proved to be an hoax, but was Patrick Klepek really unaware of it. I think that there are a lot of things to ask about Kotaku, and insce some members are journallists, it could be constructive to have a discussion and try to shed light on things.

Patrick Klepek writes for Waypoint(Vice), not Kotaku.

Kotaku broke the story that the EA dev was fake.

What website are you referring to that gathers facts on gaming journalists?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I think this may be thread worthy but I can't create any. The old BB price error deal with the Pokemon double trainer pack that was priced at $11-ish instead of the regular price, all orders were canceled but mine just shipped! Would be worth it for people to check their orders and see.
I'll make the thread but can you give me a title please lol. Not sure how to phrase that in a way that gets people to check.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Kinda sad to see no one seems to care about system updates anymore.
However, if I could I'd make the following thread:

PS3 system update 4.82

PS3 system update 4.82

"Improves system performance"

http://community.eu.playstation.com...em-Software-Update-4-82-14-11-17/m-p/25392980

I mean this stuff used be "news" didn't it?

I think we'll still hit 5.0 eventually. :p
It is live
(https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps3-system-update-4-82-unlimited-stability.6315/)

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Cornbread78 , could you just delete the first image in that post if you can't move it. Then I will add it to my first post below the OP and use that as the OP for updates in the thread.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a thread I wanted to make for a while. It's a tough one and maybe it still needs some work, so I'd totally understand if nobody wanted to post. It's inspired by the conversations about sexualization and female characters that we've been having here.

Thread Title: Moe and the sexualization of adolescence in female characters

Moe: Japanese Slang Word that refers to feelings of strong affection mainly towards characters in anime, manga, and video games.

I am, admittedly, a bit of a weeaboo. I've always preferred Japanese anime aesthetics and Japanese game design sensibilities and my love of these two things have led me to pursuing animation and design in the games industry. What I mean to say is that I owe a lot to the old school anime and video games of my childhood.

That being said, since the mid 2000s, I've found myself growing increasingly resentful to new developments in the previously mentioned industries. I think you can guess where I'm going with this: I don't like the shift towards overt fan service that has taken place in Japanese animation and video games. For a long time, I had felt that this was simply a matter of there being more sexually charged media now than there had been when I was a child, but I think that is factually incorrect. In fact, many of the shows I loved growing up had problematic designs for female characters (Faye Valentine) and bad representation (Melfina in Outlaw Star). The difference between now and then, however, comes down to something that has wiggled its way deeply into seinen (adult male skewing) and shonen (young male skeweing) shows alike: Moe.

02e8871228cc80a5d4fa5698962d9b0f44a2314c_hq.gif

Is she eating her hair?

Moe was, for a very long time, associated with vapid slice-of-life shows about cute girls doing cute things. The release of several Moe shows in the mid 2000s started a sort of Shōjo renaissance, leading to a flood of 'cute girls doing cute things' style shows that were, at the time, a breath of fresh air compared to the endless parade of shonen giant-robot shows and ultra-dark, increasingly contrived seinen shows. However, as these moe shows caught on with a male audience, a change began to take form.

The most noticeable immediate change was in drawing/modeling style. Compare female lead characters from the 90s and early 2000s with characters from today. Compare Black Lagoon's Levy to 2b. Compare Tifa to Pyra (or any of the female characters from Xenoblade, really). The female characters features in shonen and seinen media have grown more exaggeratedly effeminate and adolescent while still retaining their overt sexualization. In other words, characters appear to look younger than they are while still retaining classic anime sexualization.

Yet its' not only in character inception and design that that moe sinks it's vapid, quivering tentacles. I think the much worse and more pervasive way moe has shifted characterization is in animation and how women are animated in games and anime. This is so subtle that I don't even know what to call it, but I find certain animations to be completely stomach churning. The most obvious example is when a female character is suddenly rotoscoped or animated at a much higher frame rate than male counterparts (for animators out there, when characters are drawn on 1's instead of 2's or 3's). An example:

tenor.gif

Man, the wind in this building is pretty extreme. Better shut the window.... Oh, wait...

Notice how fluid the animation is and how much extra attention is paid to her micro movements. The POV shot and the more realistic frame rate are leveraged to draw the viewer into this characters cloying 'cuteness' and establish moe style feelings of affection. "But Saint Pride," you're saying, "This is just anime trash. We're on a video game forum."

tumblr_om2p70OiCW1uk4xbjo1_500.gif

tumblr_on3548qT6i1vwgg8ro2_500.gif

NO, YOU LICK THE FROG!

The fact that Nintendo chose to lean on Moe stylings for Zelda showcases just how little attention this character got in her actual characterization. Acting 'cute', innocent, and vulnerable coupled with extreme closeups and soft lighting are simply Otaku baiting shortcuts at best, and at worse full on leaning into harmful female stereotyping by applying childlike movement and characterization to a young women.

There are many, many more examples of this sort of character style in Japanese media, but Zelda's struck me as particularly egregious because I had hoped Nintendo would be above it. Moe trash like the characters of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is basically expected at this point, but for moe styling to find its way into general audience is annoying and questionable.

Ok, so where do we go from here? Why bring this up at all? Well, as we continue to talk about representation in gaming and both the overt and invisible ways groups are represented in our hobby, this felt like an area that has been left mostly unexplored. I think it goes without saying that sex and sexy things are not in and of themselves bad, nor is media made specifically for this purpose. But when we find certain patterns emerging in general audience media, or even niche media where such things are otherwise unnecessary, I feel like we should really reflect on what this says about ourselves and the cultures that consume said media.

So what do you guys think? I personally find it troubling that Moe styling is being used to infantilize female characters. I think manga, anime, and video games that side-step these shortcuts and tricks should be praised. I think we should expect better characterization across the board and better representation in all media.

Last edited:

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
PSA HyperX Cloud II Headset USB dongle firmware updates for PS4 compatibility.

The newest firmware for the dongle is here: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/sup...ame=HyperX_Cloud_II_Firmware_Updater_Rev_0010

Prior to this update the volume controls for the mic and game volume did not work with the PS4. You had to change both on the PS4 itself. The 7.1 audio option was also finicky, that seems to be fully fixed now too.

I downloaded the firmware last week, just got around to testing it. I'm not on my computer so can't say when they originally posted the update.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Here's a thread I wanted to make for a while. It's a tough one, and maybe it still needs some work, so I'd totally understand if nobody wanted to post, but the conversations about sexualization and female characters really got me thinking about it:

I can tell you right now that I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.(but that's just me) It almost never leads to deep constructive discussions and ends up being a thread full of posters shaming anime fans and calling them as a group a bunch of sexual deviants. That or you get a bunch of "modern anime sucks" and "90's anime didn't have this problem"

That's just from my experience. But hey, I wonder if it would turn out differently on era.

It is a pretty detailed post though, someone will post it for you; good work

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would like to make a thread to discuss a recent interview with Brendan Greene, the creative director of PUBG, in which he outright stated that he doesn't believe PUBG deserves game of the year awards, because he himself believes that far better games have been released in 2017. I was vetted thru discord as a member of the old forum but I can't make threads for some reason so I'm here to request it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/31/pubg-dev-i-dont-know-if-we-deserve-goty-award

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you right now that I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.(but that's just me) It almost never leads to deep constructive discussions and ends up being a thread full of posters shaming anime fans and calling them as a group a bunch of sexual deviants. That or you get a bunch of "modern anime sucks" and "90's anime didn't have this problem"

That's just from my experience. But hey, I wonder if it would turn out differently on era.

It is a pretty detailed post though, someone will post it for you; good work

I too wonder if it would turn out better on Era. The goal here was to push the conversation away from pure sexualization and instead into a more specific "problematic" area that held potential for better discussion. Though I tend to feel that female representation does skew too often into male-gaze territory, the conversation around it becomes bogged down by drive by posters who feel people are pressing puritan agendas. The truth is I have no problem with sexy characters as an idea, but the sexualization issue is much deeper than just the clothes characters wear.

The real question is "If we can't have this conversation here, then where can we?"

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I too wonder if it would turn out better on Era. The goal here was to push the conversation away from pure sexualization and instead into a more specific "problematic" area that held potential for better discussion. Though I tend to feel that female representation does skew too often into male-gaze territory, the conversation around it becomes bogged down by drive by posters who feel people are pressing puritan agendas. The truth is I have no problem with sexy characters as an idea, but the sexualization issue is much deeper than just the clothes characters wear.

The real question is "If we can't have this conversation here, then where can we?"

I'm at my second job and only have my phone, so hopefully Cantrium stops by and post it for you. I really only get offended by the "loli" stuff out there.

I can't wait to see how it turns out...

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I have a Topic.
To DEVS - Why haven't there been any Phantasy Star Online copycats?
With the growth of online co-op and competitive games, and with how strongly PSO resonated (clearly Destiny took cues), why hasn't anyone attempted to make a small scale action-MMO like Phantasy Star Online. It has been, what? 20 years? I know NOTHING about game development, so I'm really curious about the challenges that have scared people off from trying this again. It has built-in monetization with cosmetic purchases. You have smaller parties of 3-4. Dungeons were like mini Destiny raids. Giant Boss battles fill that Borderlands itch. It's Co-op, but i'm sure that there's a competitive mode that could be dreamed up with some thought. Art design would shine here, and it would stand out because it's NOT another FPS game. The change in rhythm and camera perspective would give it a new audience. Maps could be larger than the original Dreamcast versions, and it would even scratch the old MMO / RPG itch from gamers wanting a taste of JRPGS but with Western mechanics. I mean, who cares about the story, really...unless it's good.

Anyway, after listening to this past DLC, my own fond remembering of the only game i've ever been addicted to, and conversations with various gamers, it's just an odd thing that nobody has tried to copy it. Forget trying get the Japanese version. Why not just take the best from it and just, copy and improve? Insight? would it work in today's market? Why or why not? Imagine 4-player local coop on Switch? Just saying...

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Here's a thread I wanted to make for a while. It's a tough one and maybe it still needs some work, so I'd totally understand if nobody wanted to post. It's inspired by the conversations about sexualization and female characters that we've been having here.

Thread Title: Moe and the sexualization of adolescence in female characters
All right will make the thread. Gonna be an interesting watch for sure.

Hmmm, I'm not sure either. How about "Canceled orders for the Best Buy Pokemon Sun/Moon Dual Trainers Pack Price Error appear to be shipping still".
Thanks will make that the title and post
(https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...rs-pack-price-error-appear-to-be-shippi.6349/)
it's live and you were not alone in it shipping it looks like.

Last edited:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
All right will make the thread. Gonna be an interesting watch for sure.

Thanks will make that the title and post
(https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...rs-pack-price-error-appear-to-be-shippi.6349/)
it's live and you were not alone in it shipping it looks like.

Thanks so much for this! Kinda clueless on how to add a pic. Is there a preferred image hosting site we should use? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ and I'm only on my phone currently.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Thanks so much for this! Kinda clueless on how to add a pic. Is there a preferred image hosting site we should use? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ and I'm only on my phone currently.
Some users use imgur and I think you can also post pictures to twitter then copy the picture URL and then paste that into the image button to get a picture showing. If you do use the twitter thing make a throwaway account for it.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Some users use imgur and I think you can also post pictures to twitter then copy the picture URL and then paste that into the image button to get a picture showing. If you do use the twitter thing make a throwaway account for it.

Thanks I'll try that. Tried using tinypic and it didn't work at all. I figure enough have confirmed though so people hopefully know it's real at this point.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
I tried the search results for "sky" and the system says is too short for a result. This is correct or is going to be fixed in the future?

Btw i want to post this gameplay video of sky and i don't know if is already posted:

I've got one:

Title: The Curious Case Of The 'EA Game Dev' Who Said He Received Death Threats

https://kotaku.com/the-curious-case-of-the-ea-game-dev-who-said-he-receive-1820474458
Earlier this week, a man with "Game Dev @EA" in his Twitter profile wrote that he had received death threats from angry Star Wars Battlefront II fans. His story was covered by news outlets like USA Today, the BBC, and Yahoo. Vicewrote an editorial about it, CNBC ran a headline about it, and the tweet was retweeted by hundreds of people. There's just one lingering question: Does he actually work at Electronic Arts?

With around 5,000 followers on Twitter, BiggSean66 doesn't have a particularly huge audience or platform, but when he tweeted Monday that he was "up to 7 death threats, and over 1600 individual personal attacks now," he went viral. Gaming and mainstream outlets picked up his story, writing about how the outrage over Star Wars Battlefront II's microtransactions led to gamers threatening BiggSean66's life. Hundreds of developers and journalists also quoted him, sent sympathies, and talked about the incident on Twitter, condemning those who felt the need to sent death threats to BiggSean66.

Yet, after speaking to several current EA employees, cross-referencing his details with Linkedin and Facebook pages, and reaching out to BiggSean66, I've become convinced that he does not actually work for EA. In fact, since I sent him several messages yesterday and this morning, he has changed his Twitter profile to remove all mentions of EA.

It seems that the guy who tweeted about death threats may not be an EA game dev at all. What do you guys think about it?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Title: Do you think your Favourite Game is the Best Game of All Time?

I am curious how others feel about this. I specifically feel that my favourite game of all time, the game that has brought me the most enjoyment through playing it through multiple play-throughs, is not the best game of all time.
My favourite game of all time is Knights of the Old Republic. The theme of the game and the story, the revelation, the strategy gameplay and the art and world really connected with me and made it my favourite. It also helped that sci-fi is my favourite setting (although I prefer cyberpunk to sci-fi fantasy so I have high hopes for CDProject Red).

That said in acknowledging the greatness of Kotor, I also acknowledge its flaws and admit to myself that I take the bad parts (bugs, voice acting of the time, relatively small open world) with the whole package and still acknowledge it as my favourite.

I think the best game of all time is Ocarina of Time because of this. While I don't enjoy it as much due to the lack of character in the characters, the lack of control over links choices, and the pure fantasy setting, and the fact that I prefer the strategy gameplay of Kotor and other RPGs over more pure action (luckily oot had great puzzle solving).
If I was there at the time I don't think there is much I or anybody else could have done to make the game better. Even the bugs in OoT made the game better (who wants to get every gold skulltula by hand?). Well, I guess I would have made the Owl text skip-able, that's one thing. Everything, from the dungeon design to the soundtrack, art direction to the feel of the combat in the gameplay combined to make the perfect package.

Now I am curious if others feel the same way. I think it is good to think about games this way if you truly value them as art. After all, what you prefer in art is subjective, but there is a craft to making art that requires talent. So here are three questions I pose to you:

What is your favourite game of all time?
What is the best game of all time?
Why?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
World of Warcraft Classic Poll and Blizzard's Current Stance

Came across this survey on the WoW forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow...imate_wow_classic_design_survey_help/dpuaid2/

wow_classic_survey.png

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc64CYad2GpAVvH6yEl-mLd2NBlCnKeIASA8mTrRwjJQ5usDw/viewform

Credit to Kwigo for his source on Blizzard's current mentality on how they'll start considring what to do with classic.

https://worldofwarcraft.judgehype.c...es-d-interviews-de-battle-for-azeroth-153717/

• WoW Classic became possible because the team found a way to make it work on modern infrastructure (no idea what that means exactly)
  • No QoL adjustment like Group Finder
  • Nostalrius might be involved further in the process
  • For now, they are focusing on the infrastructure rather than game design
  • Blizzard will not shut down classic server if they aren't succesful, it's a long term commitment
  • They don't know yet which patch will be used as a starting point
  • Some people who made Vanilla WoW are consultants for WoW:Classic, but their resources aren't pulled from Battle for Azeroth

Status
Not open for further replies.