• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else had this happen to them? It's completely fucking unacceptable. It wasn't even from a channel I was subscribed to, literally just some bullshit "recommendation" that YouTube's shit-tier algorithm decided I needed to see.

Hope some brain-dead code monkey loses their job over this. Fuck I'm pissed right now.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I've cleared my view history twice in the past 3 days and that still hasn't stopped two thumbnails from slipping through, absolutely infuriating.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just delete YouTube apps from all your devices. Also install keyword blocker for Chrome. Same happened to me with another beloved game.
YouTube is ruining games.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only thing i have notifications set for are messages, emails, and HQ

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for you (same thing kind of happenned to me actually) but I can guarantee you no one will ever lose their job over this, nor should they and they probably aren't bad at their job anyway.
It's like a thread we had earlier where someone basically said "have some algorithm prevent this".

This is incredibly complicated stuff, and Youtube can't have a special "video game release avoid spoiler" algorithm.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JFC my Youtube home page is completely covered in GoW videos with spoilers right there in the title too.

What the actual fuck are people's problems, this has never happened to me with any other game before.

... maybe I'm old but why would you want push notifications from youtube?

I'm subscribed to a lot of music and drum related channels and until very recently was only getting notifications from the channels I wanted, and it was useful to know when my favorite drummer uploaded a new video, etc.

Now I'm getting "recommended" channels I've never heard of with major spoilers right there in the title. This is beyond absurd.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm bummed that you saw a spoiler, is a video game reason enough for you to wish that someone loses their job? Really? And you called them a "brain-dead code monkey"? Classy.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's starting to get ridiculous. I've cleared my watch history several times and some still seem to sneak through every now and then. I can't recall this happening on such a frequent and widespread scale before with a game. Almost feels like google is being a dick and trying to spoil it on purpose.

sportz103

Oct 26, 2017
Shame that happened, but such is life. If it makes you feel better, research shows that people enjoy stories more of they've had the story spoiled beforehand. So while it wasn't your choice to do so, you may have just enhanced your experience with the game

Deleted member 1074

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you want someone to lose their job over someone else uploading spoiler content on a site that pretty much lets u upload anything within reason
and yes the sub box is broken its youtube they fuck their site up every 2 weeks

axo_tio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else had this happen to them? It's completely fucking unacceptable. It wasn't even from a channel I was subscribed to, literally just some bullshit "recommendation" that YouTube's shit-tier algorithm decided I needed to see.

Hope some brain-dead code monkey loses their job over this. Fuck I'm pissed right now.

It seems to me you've been spoiled your whole life.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
People are acknowledging the final line in your post as you having gone too far, and I'd agree, though I also get that you're (understandably) frustrated.

I've dealt with this several times before. It sucks. Though, I also blame video creators that don't care to give their videos vague / neutral titles and insist upon using the most spoiler-ridden, all-caps clickbait titles and thumbnails in the name of views.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's starting to get ridiculous. I've cleared my watch history several times and some still seem to sneak through every now and then. I can't recall this happening on such a frequent and widespread scale before with a game. Almost feels like google is being a dick and trying to spoil it on purpose.

That's what I'm saying. This has literally never happened before with any other major release. Didn't happen with Horizon, any of the Halo games, anything at all.

Shame that happened, but such is life. If it makes you feel better, research shows that people enjoy stories more of they've had the story spoiled beforehand. So while it wasn't your choice to do so, you may have just enhanced your experience with the game

I've heard this before but I find it perplexing.

I had
Han's death
spoiled for me before seeing TFA, it certainly did not enhance the experience at all.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's crazy because the thumbnails on the youtube app change pictures to what you may see in the video. And I saw some conor mcgregor looking dude on a GoW video they day before the game came out and noped out of youtube.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Spoiler tag what they spoiled. I need to know how outraged I should be

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Have zero interest in God Of War but got a recommended video about the final boss. Lol

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly why i turned em off they spoiled me final bosses and stuff from channels i am not even even subbed too.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy because the thumbnails on the youtube app change pictures to what you may see in the video. And I saw some conor mcgregor looking dude on a GoW video they day before the game came out and noped out of youtube.

Yeah that should have been my warning to install some sort of YouTube video blocker and turn off the notifications to my phone.

There were literally final boss spoiler thumbnails on YouTube the day before the game even launched. What the hell

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

lol.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler tag what they spoiled. I need to know how outraged I should be
Zeus appears in God of War 4, and apparently at some point you equip and fight using the Blades of Chaos

Won't bug you if you didn't play / care about the first 3 games I guess.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
seriously, I don't even know why a fucking thumb of the final boss is showing up on my feed, thankfully I barely glanced at it, but fuck these people who don't know how to make a spoiler free thumb.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It did this to me.

Apparently watching Digital Foundry's tech analysis was enough for youtube to determine I wanted to absolutely see the fucking end game through thumbnails.

OP
OP
Spartancarver

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seriously, I don't even know why a fucking thumb of the final boss is showing up on my feed, thankfully I barely glanced at it, but fuck these people who don't know how to make a spoiler free thumb.

Honestly the thumbnails aren't even the worst, there are so many videos with blatant spoilers right there in the titles. It's the cuntiest move ever, and I can't tell if it's genuine clickbait or just the internet's version of driving by the bookstore at midnight yelling Snape kills Dumbledore

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I had Han's death spoiled for me before seeing TFA, it certainly did not enhance the experience at all.

Thanks for spoiling The Force Awakens. I'm not kidding. If you're so concerned about spoilers, don't you think it's worth the extra two seconds to put this in a spoiler tag?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yeah that should have been my warning to install some sort of YouTube video blocker and turn off the notifications to my phone.

There were literally final boss spoiler thumbnails on YouTube the day before the game even launched. What the hell

Whoa sorry to hear that, I just realised how lucky I am. It's gonna be just as bad for Infinity War, luckily I get to watch it on the 26th here.

People who spoil things are wrong'ns. Empire Strikes Back's mystery wouldn't have stayed hidden in this day and age.

Oct 25, 2017
Same happened on PS4, I was caught by the recommendation list. Luckily, the thumbnail was a blur so I couldn't distinguish it. The red, bold font on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.