• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
It's 2AM. You have been trying to get some sleep since midnight, to no avail. Why's that? Because you're too busy remembering all the weird, cringey social interactions you've had since you've entered pre-school. Remember when you didn't make it to the bathroom in time during first grade? Well, you'll always remember that. Every single night. For the rest of your existence.

--//--

I just had one of those. Yesterday I made a rhetorical question to this friend of mine. I didn't think much about it, I was just trying to talk for a bit. He didn't answer (as I wouldn't have). And I didn't care.
Fast forward a hours later. I reread the conversation and got fixated on that question. Suddenly, getting an answer to that question became the crux of my existence. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I started getting anxious about it. I tried to convince myself that was a fucking stupid reason for someone to get anxious over, but it didn't matter. I just kept getting more and more anxious over it. 12 hours later and just thinking about it made me feel short of breath. So I made something that I know would be stupid. I asked him about it.

(at this point, if you're thinking that I blew the situation way out of proportion, you're right. There wasn't even a situation to begin with. I knew that.)

He didn't answer. That didn't help my anxiety. At all. So I did what I thought I had to do: I kept asking. Eventually, he answered. With memes. The only reasonable way to answer to an idiot who's bothering to get an answer to a fucking rhetorical question.
That's when I fucked up even more (if that's humanly possible): I begged him to just make up some answer and get it over with.

He did. I awkwardly apologized. He said don't worry about it. And I won't be able to talk to him for a long, long time.

But I got an answer, and that made me somewhat relieved. Although I only got it after creating and going through the most stupid, awkward, unreasonable conversation one can imagine.

This one will haunt me this night and for a whole lot of nights.

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2011-01-13-beartato-badmemories.png

OP
OP
ZixlerBavala

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this thread wil turn out to be one of those for you tonight

Weirdly enough, I think it was positive that I wrote all that down. Seeing it put this way I can't unsee how ridiculous, tactless and out of proportion that whole affair was and maybe I'll try harder next time to avoid shit like it.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
One time at a con I went to, I asked a group of cosplayers for a picture, then asked one in particular if I could get a picture just of hers after because I really loved the character. She said, bluntly "No." At first I thought she was joking, so I tried to act silly, you know, bending over in disappointment like a cartoon character or something. Turned out she wasn't joking. She sort of awkwardly said "have a nice con" and the group shuffled away.

I am... Mortified to this day about that interaction. Did she and her friends think I was trying to do something creepy? That I was a petulant child who would really overreact in such a way to an understandable refusal?

There are some other situations that I think about and worry I acted a fool, but after thinking about it I realize I didn't. But that, there, I know I screwed up, as first it probably came off as rude to the rest of them, and second the whole half-assed pratfall thing....

Just kill me now. Not literally of course but. Figure of speech kill me now.

OP
OP
ZixlerBavala

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
Just went back to the app where this conversation happened. As soon as I got online, dude changed his online status from online to busy.

I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

OP
OP
ZixlerBavala

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
So what was the question OP?

He's the one that told you not to talk to him?

The purpose of the thread is to share stories of social awkwardness. I thought that was clear but after re-reading my post I realize it maybe wasn't.

No, he didn't say that. No one said that. I just won't be much comfortable taking with him for some time.

He was actually pretty chill during that whole conversation. Probably nicer than I would've been were our roles inverted.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I accidentally said something that could be taken as racists and I couldn't sleep for two days. Just kept thinking what my coworkers must be thinking of me since I am not racists. It was embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Anytime i run into old friends or people i know from HS i treat them as new people

Its the only proper thing to do. No one should ever have to be reminded of hs shit

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hmm, constant worry about whether I did or did not say something to offend people seems to keep me awake at night more so than general interactions.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
>"Enjoy the movie"

>"Thanks, you too"

*wants to hang self*

I used to work at a place that kept the restroom locked.

There was many a time after letting someone in where I'd say "Have a good one" as if they were leaving the store.

Wonder if anyone ever got really self-conscious about their impending toilet disasters after that.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
In high school I went to a party at my crush's house. Drank a shit ton of whisky to impress her and (second hand accounts here) ate a bunch of deer jerky and spaghetti, smoked some crystal meth, SPILLED the rest of said meth on the floor, almost got my ass beat by the owner of the meth, disappeared for a few hours, came back in and was put to bed by my crush in her sister's room where I puked up the jerky and spaghetti on sis's bed. Snuck off home in the morning while still drunk.

Crush picked me up for school the following monday and berated me for ruining her sisters bed which was soaked with a red stain all the way through. Don't think I've ever felt more awkward than that car ride.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
All of them really, I feel like I replay every conversation I had that day before falling asleep.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I was with talking to my high school English teacher with two of my friends. She was a fairly young woman (late 20s) and had one of those calendars on her desk that had a word and its definition for each new day.

The word of the day was "sycophant".

I looked at it and said

"Sycophant? Sounds like syphilis."

The teacher burst out laughing and buried her face in her arms to stifle it. My friends said "Oh my god, Adaren..." "Um...what?".

My mind was in shambles. All I could think was "...syphilis...is that...an STD? No, no, it can't be. Why would I say that? It must be something else..."

Everything after that is blank, but I think I walked out of the room silent and expressionless.

>"Enjoy the movie"

>"Thanks, you too"

*wants to hang self*

"Happy birthday."
"You too!"
- Me, in 3rd grade

Oct 25, 2017
I view pretty much all of my interactions as weird, so either I always have decent interactions or they're always incredibly strange.

The ones that really stick out to me are phone calls. Usually in person when I'm stressed I can still come across as a normal person, but on the phone it's gonna fall apart quickly.

I had to call about a schedule change for volunteering and for some reason it was really stressing me out so it came out like a jumbled, quick mess because I had a lot to mention. Woman on the phone was clearly a little taken aback, which still bothers me.

Generally, the more stressed I am, the more my mind is moving elsewhere and consequently the smoothet the interaction. If I don't have something else to channel that anxiety, the interaction is what I'm stressing, so it's probably gonna be an awkward conversation I think about for 6 months.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Eh, I'm a teacher. All those moments of past cringe are just anecdotes waiting to be tossed into a lesson somewhere along the line. If a day goes by that my students aren't laughing at me for some dumb thing I've done or cringy shit I've said, I'm doing something wrong...

That said, I still legit have horrible flashbacks (sometimes in the middle of the day, some times at night that leave me waking up in a cold sweat) from my first student teaching experience which went so badly that the cooperating teacher told me to give up on becoming a teacher... The next ones went way better...

...Just never let it sink in...

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who functions quite well with debilitating mental health issues. Yes.

Second hand cringe is worse for me though.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hand wrote lyrics to a 311 song in grade 9 to a girl named Nicole. I stayed up all night thinking I'd be a hero or that I would ruin my high school life.

I didn't do it. I feel like that would have been a life altering choice.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Every once in a while a memory will come back to me and ruin me, sometimes it can get bad enough that I lose all enthusiasm to do anything for the rest of the day, and there plenty to remember, and all of them are stupid, like, none of them are anything even close to being that bad really.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was in a conversation today and my mind attempted to say "can" and "could" at the same time: "It was the best I con do"

Gonna lose sleep over that one.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
One time at a con I went to, I asked a group of cosplayers for a picture, then asked one in particular if I could get a picture just of hers after because I really loved the character. She said, bluntly "No." At first I thought she was joking, so I tried to act silly, you know, bending over in disappointment like a cartoon character or something. Turned out she wasn't joking. She sort of awkwardly said "have a nice con" and the group shuffled away.

I am... Mortified to this day about that interaction. Did she and her friends think I was trying to do something creepy? That I was a petulant child who would really overreact in such a way to an understandable refusal?

There are some other situations that I think about and worry I acted a fool, but after thinking about it I realize I didn't. But that, there, I know I screwed up, as first it probably came off as rude to the rest of them, and second the whole half-assed pratfall thing....

Just kill me now. Not literally of course but. Figure of speech kill me now.
Bro wtf, she was rude! Move on

In high school I went to a party at my crush's house. Drank a shit ton of whisky to impress her and (second hand accounts here) ate a bunch of deer jerky and spaghetti, smoked some crystal meth, SPILLED the rest of said meth on the floor, almost got my ass beat by the owner of the meth, disappeared for a few hours, came back in and was put to bed by my crush in her sister's room where I puked up the jerky and spaghetti on sis's bed. Snuck off home in the morning while still drunk.

Crush picked me up for school the following monday and berated me for ruining her sisters bed which was soaked with a red stain all the way through. Don't think I've ever felt more awkward than that car ride.
METH?! maaaaaaaaaan

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
My school has an annual event where the whole school, parents, investors and usually some sort of celebrity speaker do a year review and talk about how the year has been. It's purely a pat on the back sort of thing.

Anyway at one of these events I was falling asleep and I could have sworn someone just called my name. I stood up and walked to the front, as per the usual thing, but as I got there I looked around and realised that people were looking at me weird. About 10 secs later I realised I must have misheard and sat back down, all the kids around me giggling like crazy.

It took me almost 13 years to get over that. Now I think about it and laugh, but in the past that kept me up at night.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waitress: "Enjoy your food!"
Me: "You too!"
Waitress: "..."
Me: "..."

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, what the fuck OP? Can you elaborate a bit more? What was the question?

Oct 25, 2017
No reason to lose sleep over a social faux pas. We die regardless of how flawed or flawless our social interactions are.

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
"You too!" is a classic...When a cashier gave me change and said how much it was.
Cashier: "Random number..."
Me: "You too!"
Cashier: *looks at me like I'm crazy*
For some reason I thought she had wished me a nice weekend...

Another scene: Came home from grocery shopping, holidays ahead of us.
Walked past a place where people know us by sight. One of the guys opens the window.
Guy: "Yo! Preparing for the holidays?"
Me, attempting to wave with a huge pack of toilet paper in my hand: "Already got everything we need!"

Not that any of these have been giving me sleepless nights, though. It was just awkward and funny at the same time.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Some of mine are from when I was young/first "blossoming" sexually and girls that I liked were very obviously begging me to have sex with them, even to the point of being in bed with them staring me in the eyes stroking me in some instances, and just not doing anything from pure fear. Or asking to put a film on and lying there watching the whole thing. Even if they'd made it clear what they'd wanted beforehand via text and I'd agreed.

Another one was my first "fight" in school where a guy punched my glasses off and I could barely see him, but also didn't want to hit anyone and never had, so just kept swinging my arms vaguely at him but with no power behind them and purposely missing. I was 100% more focused on looking like I was fighting than I was on beating him. Looking back, he was known as one of the hardest guys in school and barely managed to hit me either. If I had managed to land one solid punch I would have been king of the school forever, but I didn't have the confidence/self belief lmao.

Also the fight started because everyone was crowding trying to get through these tiny doors and some guy ran up behind and pushed everyone through really hard. The guy I was "fighting" turned around at the front like "who the fuck was that" and everyone pointed backwards and I stood there like a deer in headlights, and squeaked "it wasn't me" in the least convincing way ever (it wasn't me at all, but I was super shy)

EDIT: Oh and attempting to ask for Chocolate Mousse Gateau in a Greek restaurant and announcing loudly and happily to a table of 20 that I wanted "Chocolate Goose Mateau". The waiters asked me to repeat it like 3 times before I realised what I was saying.

Last edited:

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
How about that moment when you're talking shit about someone but that person actually heard it. During a field trip in high school we were sitting around in a circle and I said to someone next to me 'I have to sit next to her in class, she *insert bad thing*.' Someone a bit further shifted positions and suddenly I see that she's actually sitting a bit further back. Awkward.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I have this problem. It literally just pops into my mind out of nowhere and I feel awful about it.

I used t be a lot shyer when I was younger and this brought me some of these memories. One of the worst happened 5 years ago: I was in the cafeteria with some college colleagues that I didn't know very and was nervously afraid of saying some shit. Then one guy saying he was going to present a project about the difficulties of the trans women when it comes to getting jobs. And I laughed nervously for no reason [I was a liberal even then and thought it was amazing]. He said: ''Yeah, laugh - you are going to face the same difficulties they have in your career.''

I remember this at least once a month. Couldn't explain it then and probably will be haunted by it forever. It feels AWFUL.

I sometimes say some stupid problematic slur that I despise and normally wouldn't dream of using [not heavy, but still] if I get too excited talking to people. I always regret it immediately and sometimes I start remembering each one of them at fucking 3 am.

Oct 27, 2017
I was at a conference the other day and we were expected to do 'networking' before the meeting and during lunch. It's like my goddamn kryptonite, so I just opened up my work laptop and sent some emails any time the presentations stopped.