• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic dethroning Mortal Kombat would be on brand for 2020

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sonic movie ends up being better than most actual Sonic games. What a time to be alive

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Paying respect to what source material? 2D Sonic or edgy 3D Sonic?
I hope it's really good indeed so finger crossed!

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting it to be good, but I think it's going to be a fun sit. That's my expectation for it.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
None of these are critics so take these with a grain of salt, unlike the BoP or TROS critic impressions.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
social media impressions are almost always positive
As always, social media reactions are often far more positive than real reviews.
None of these are critics so take these with a grain of salt, unlike the BoP or TROS critic impressions.

Obviously, but the fact that anybody liked it at all is kind of shocking considering the reaction to the trailers. That's what makes this a surprising development.

Even if it ends up being a movie "for the fans" that would still be a shocker.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Y'all should have believed

Yeah I'll still be surprised if the Rotten Tomatoes score is above 60% but I think Sonic is a movie that audiences will enjoy
I think the highest expectation is Detective Pikachu - positively reviewed by people familiar with the source material, moderately reviewed by everyone else - and it does a totally competent BO haul that can neither be called a disaster or a triumph.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Much like the Blue Sphere special stages of Sonic and Knuckles, it was a lot of Fun!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised social media impressions for a movie like this would be positive though I do find the "pays respect to source material" comment to be interesting. If you set aside Paramount's god awful production treatment (with the original design/trailers) then the creative crew actually look like they were committed to making this movie as great as it possibly could be. Fowler in particular seemed really passionate about the project in a way I don't imagine most regular directors would be if they were asked to make a film about a video game mascot.

Hope it's good.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it'll probably end up being an overhyped children's movie that gets overpraised because it's competent, provides a on par acting performance from a likable actor, and it has just enough "modern takes" on the reference material to feel clever (when it's actually not clever, but current). like detective pikachu.

Last edited:

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Obviously, but the fact that anybody liked it at all is kind of shocking considering the reaction to the trailers. That's what makes this a surprising development.

Even if it ends up being a movie "for the fans" that would still be a shocker.
Josh Trank's Fantastic Four reboot got positive tweets after the first screenings. It isn't a good metric.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
lol

pays respect to a blue fucking hedgehog game, people have lost the plot.
THE SACRED SONIC GAMES!
sacredtexts.jpg

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
You should've never doubted the new box office king.

Sanic fans strolling into theaters nationwide next week like

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In this world (His world- Gotta make your own way!)
Where one is all
In this world (His world- Life is just a game you play!)
Never fear the fall

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Pays respect to the source material? Where are Tails and the Chaos Emeralds?
Tails appears in the movie.

Anyway dwi haters. Shout out to everyone who wanted them to keep Sonic's crappy design so you'd have another Cats-level trainwreck to mock and jeer. As a lifelong Sonic fan who's been bummed out by the series' status as Internet running gag I'm glad they seemed to have gotten this right on some level, although who knows if the actual film critics will feel the same.

giphy.gif

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
Nails what exactly? Regardless I'm always weary of initial Social media impressions but happy the overall mood about it is positive.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I just came out from a showing. I dug it way more than I thought it would. It was a lot of fun.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to get too excited yet because sometimes these early impressions are sort of fixed either by over enthusiasm or cynical marketers, but if this movie ends up being great - then the decision to go back and fix the design based on fan blowback will be a gigantic example of when to listen to fans - the story is all new, the characters have been completely rethought to fit the medium, but there are ways to be authentic that can bring fans along for the ride without slavishly adapting material that works as a fast paced platformer but has no narrative 1:1 with film. Let each medium do what it's best at - and try to capture what's great about the original even if just some essence or aesthetic.

Of course we don't know how much the film is changed by the updated Sonic. Was there an edit that is more or less identical? And what does that "Snide Cut" look like - does it fall flat because of one single visual element? Or is it a great movie WITH a bonkers-why-is-he-like-that-horror show?

RELEASE THE SANIC-CUT U COWARDZ

I'd LOVE to see that as a blu ray bonus.

I also secretly hope that the dark side of Sonic Fandom is both angry and happy about this and they are forced to reconsider some of their life choices.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol

pays respect to a blue fucking hedgehog game, people have lost the plot.

I know what you mean, but there's lots of really meaningful ways to do that - music, sound effects, a sense of fun, speed, chaos and so on. It would be madness to directly adapt it - but the Sonic redesign is a big blunt force version of "respecting" it. Still, there's plenty of time for this moment of surprising scoial bouyancy to sink into the "Armond White Loves It" abyss of reality.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway dwi haters. Shout out to everyone who wanted them to keep Sonic's crappy design so you'd have another Cats-level trainwreck to mock and jeer. As a lifelong Sonic fan who's been bummed out by the series' status as Internet running gag I'm glad they seemed to have gotten this right on some level, although who knows if the actual film critics will feel the same.
I mean those old comics are still there are still out there if you still want to see a cartoon bee trip so hard on LSD he dies.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Finally saw the new trailer. A very big improvement over the first. Now I'll be less surprised at this movie doing well at the box office.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These guys look to be general video game fans and not film critics/normal audiences so it's not very indicative of anything.