• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

From March of 2008 until Daybreak, SOE was directly controlled by SCEA. So yes, Smed would know what was going on regarding PlayStation and crossplay. SOE did DCUO on both consoles (Xbox came after SCEA sold them, of course).

Mod Edit: This thread title has been updated. SOE = Sony Online Entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Console wars, inflammatory analogies, prior infractions for similar
This is just getting worse and worse for them.

It's starting to remind of a recent Hollywood scandal at this point.

Ex employees coming out and outing their greed. Probably not the greatest environment to work.

Edit because I notice a lot of apologists using this post to deflect: No I'm not comparing it to sexual assault. I'm comparing it to the nature of how ex employees are coming out to put them on blast as we are seeing in many Hollywood scandals today.

Last edited:

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's generally the primary motivation for all of a company's decisions.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I thought the reason was purely to be evil, can't believe it's just money.

:p I mean, sure, it's the same reason for Microsoft to be pushing for cross-play.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is he talking about cross-play or cross-buy here?

It sounds more like cross-buy.

Edit: OK a Fortnite battlepass which is basically a cross-buy product. I don't blame Sony for blocking that in this case.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
And i thought it was for the children. Silly me
Damning that was the excuse they used.

What kind of horrible company uses children as a front to cover up their corporate greed?

Edit to add context:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
tenor.gif

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
President of the company that announced Everquest Next would know a thing or two about fucking fans.

I mean, of course it's about money.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Has anyone honestly thought this wasnt about money and corporate greed?

4the...ah, too obvious.

To he honest, I had heard so many times that this business decision benefits no one that I started to believe it. I believe those that said "it benefits no one" had no idea.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining.
Out of all the tweets and news out there, this one didn't deserve a thread. Like seriously. Lmao

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ex employees coming out and outing their greed. Probably not the greatest environment to work.
Is this what manufactured outrage looks like? The motivation was obvious from the onset, I have no idea why some people would think otherwise.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

You aren't comparing this to the sexual assault and harassment scandal are you? Because no this isn't close to that.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Well I wont blame sony of course, after all sony is a business company not charity house. At the end of the day, it is all about money. If i were sony, i might do the same or maybe even worse

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Money is the root of every decision a company has ever made ever, those that are publicly praised and reviled. This just seems like stating the obvious.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what manufactured outrage looks like? The motivation was obvious from the onset, I have no idea why some people would think otherwise.
You sound like the corporate apologists I see rushing in here trying to deflect the subject.

Pretty sure Sony told us they were trying to protect children's privacy.

A company who lies and uses children as a front to take accounts hostage on other platforms because of greed.

Good guy Sony.

Last edited: