• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
It's not the case in the real world.... unless you play on PC. In which case, lots of games come out on Steam, and Steam keys are sold in lots of stores. Many of those also come out on GOG. And Humble. And itch. And even Uplay and so forth. All at the publishers' or developers' discretion - no store has ever restricted a third-party game from being sold elsewhere. Until Epic. It's not a welcome trend.
At the end of the day I believe it's the pub/devs choice and not Epic; you guys make it sound like Epic is forcing these decisions (unless I'm misinformed?)...in the end it's a win/win for the devs...

Also, has any of this been negatively affecting the store so far or is this just a small vocal group being mad?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit disgusted by having backed HLD on Kickstarter originally. I don't support indies for them to run and do anti-consumer shit like this at the first hint of success.

Crowdfunding is dead to me now and I've been quite active doing that over the years. Thanks EGS.
Theres probably hundres of different developers though. Do you mean that you wont support anyone going forward because one of them made a new game and decided to sell it exclusively in one store for a while (presumably, i dont think we know if its being timed exclusive to EGS)? This is something that can happen outside of Kickstarter too, so its not particularly related to kickstarter campaigns. If so, dont you think that you're putting unreasonable limitations on yourself by limiting your purchases of games in that regards? Or am i misunderstanding what you're saying?

Last edited:

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
So based on that new trailer- is the game now just called "Solar Ash"? Kind of dug the three word title next to Hyper Light Drifter.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Cool. Like all of these other Epic games, maybe I'll check it out after the year of exclusivity ends. Might be busy playing some other game, though. Too many great games to play that don't pull this BS.
Exactly.

Too bad for these devs, I will most likely be busy with my second play-through of Cyberpunk 2077 by the time this releases on Steam 🤷🏿‍♂️.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Ian Hink from Easy Allies is friends with the guys at Heart Machine, and he had mentioned on the podcast the other day that even though the visual style is the same as HLD, the game plays alot different than Hyperlight Drifter.

Other than the rollerblading style traversal, what do you think this game will play like? Will we still get that Zelda-like exploration and secrets? Or will this be totally different?

Nov 2, 2017
I don't buy Epic Store exclusives but I can't blame devs for trying to make some money. I don't understand the hate for devs that take these deals.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy Epic Store exclusives but I can't blame devs for trying to make some money. I don't understand the hate for devs that take these deals.

People are used to it now. And most of the exclusives that arrive on steam do moderately well, so that hate for devs seems to be limited to a certain crowd, or everyone has the memory of a fish. I'm fine waiting till it arrives on my platform of choice. We're swimming in games as it is.