• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, passionate developers definitely don't care if people play their games as long as they get money.

You're free to do whatever you want with your money, but please don't make assumptions about the supposed motivations of people you don't know.

It would be nice to see what their reasoning behind a timed exclusive for PC is. Honestly it is a bit of a jerk move seeing as HLD was a Steam release.

mkhashouf221

Dec 5, 2018
I don't think you understood my post then.
Did I I mean you won't support other crowdfunding project because of this but how ever when you back a game in this case HLD then that the game you backed you get it in the end wither way. This project has nothing to do with crowdfunding nor is it related to HLD I maybe I did misunderstood.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
what kind of deal does epic have with annapurna?

what remains of edith finch was free for two weeks
ashen, journey, and now solar ash kingdom exclusive to the store on PC

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, passionate developers definitely don't care if people play their games as long as they get money.

You're free to do whatever you want with your money, but please don't make assumptions about the supposed motivations of people you don't know.

Then what assumptions are you expecting me to make when a developer still makes an exclusivity deal with Epic after the Metro Exodus outrage?

I mean, it's not like we are getting any useful information from the developers themselves. If we get any explanation at all, it often sounds like PR written by Epic.

Respect needs to come from two sides m8.

This said, I apologize for venting my frustrations to you. Shouldn't have done that since you know the devs in person.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Then what assumptions are you expecting me to make when a developer still makes an exclusivity deal with Epic after the Metro Exodus outrage?

I mean, it's not like we are getting any useful information from the developers themselves. If we get any explanation at all, it often sounds like PR written by Epic.

Respect needs to come from two sides m8.

This said, I apologize for venting my frustrations to you. Shouldn't have done that since you know the devs in person.
I don't claim to know the exact motivations, of course. Development funding is an very, very difficult process. Developers, and even publishers, often have to make hard decisions regarding how to accrue funds in order to actually pay their employees a fair wage and release the game at all, let alone in a polished state.

What I *do* know is that Heart Machine is a large group of talented artists, most of whom don't even have anything to *do* with such business development decisions. And I assure you, they all care very much about putting out a beautiful game that as many people can play as possible.

Again, I understand the decision to not support exclusivity deals like this. You can let the developer and publisher know your dissatisfaction, but personal attacks are unwarranted. These people care. And they read threads like this.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a lot of friends on this team; I think it looks great.

I understand the frustration regarding EGS, but it's probably only a timed exclusive and I'd be surprised if consoles weren't in the mix. You guys'll get to play it.

Hey team, if you're reading, looking forward to it ;)

Nice, my interest in this game was also timed.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks and sounds awesome! Reminded me of Fe and Hob at first visually. Sorta reminded me of the new game from the Furi devs, too!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
What I *do* know is that Heart Machine is a large group of talented artists, most of whom don't even have anything to *do* with such business development decisions.

Yes they are very talented, that's why I'm so disappointed. And I do feel sorry for them if this decision was made without their approval.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): trolling
Got a lot of friends on this team; I think it looks great.

I understand the frustration regarding EGS, but it's probably only a timed exclusive and I'd be surprised if consoles weren't in the mix. You guys'll get to play it.

Hey team, if you're reading, looking forward to it ;)

Hey team, I'm not looking forward to it

;)

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Looks good but can wait for Steam. If it comes to Switch before other PC storefronts, even better.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap. I will try it out on the cheap if it comes out on Steam for cheap.
>cheep cheep

giphy.gif

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yes they are very talented, that's why I'm so disappointed. And I do feel sorry for them if this decision was made without their approval.

As someone who's as plugged into the PC scene as you are, you should be well aware of the fact that Annapurna has a strong liking to the Epic Store and that the decision was likely theirs.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
This looks phenomenal. Definitely gonna be buying this at launch even if it means spending five seconds opening a different store program (lol).

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Is every EGS related thread going to be shit up by "no steam, no buy" people? I get the discussion regarding games like Phoenix Point, but this was an unannounced game exclusively funded and announced for EGS, so there should be no need for it here.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Is every EGS related thread going to be shit up by "no steam, no buy" people? I get the discussion regarding games like Phoenix Point, but this was an unannounced game exclusively funded and announced for EGS, so there should be no need for it here.

When previous games were released on Steam then I see no reason why they should be called out about it. This thread really has not been "shitted" up by the no steam no buy crowd.

I even acknowledged at least the announcement covered where the game was being released before it was announced then months later it comes out as EGS timed. Still timed exclusives suck no matter how you look at it.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Seeing how upset people get on this forum over EGS exclusivity I wonder if it will end up killing the store than helping it. Personally I don't really mind. Gives me a reason to shop outside of Steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yes anti-competitive practises are still bad.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Seeing how upset people get on this forum over EGS exclusivity I wonder if it will end up killing the store than helping it. Personally I don't really mind. Gives me a reason to shop outside of Steam.

Its doubtful that it could "kill" the store. Epic has deep pockets and a 40% partner with ENDLESS pockets, so they can bleed money for awhile. Its most likely a side project with potential in their minds.

Test will be if games sell well enough on the Epic Games store to offset any loss of sales due to loss of visibility, boycott, price or lack of any discounts. Will Epic's money be enough five years down the line to attract and keep publishers and small development teams?

I'm under no illusion that any internet outrage or disorganized, emotionally fueled boycotts will do anything. Emotions are riding high in some corners but that always burns out.

The service for customers model is a proven success. The "game supply" model isn't. That will decide the outcome, which model has true staying power, years from now.

Last edited:

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Whining about trifling shit is core to the online gamer persona.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
As someone who's as plugged into the PC scene as you are, you should be well aware of the fact that Annapurna has a strong liking to the Epic Store and that the decision was likely theirs.

Fair enough. That's very likely indeed, although I'm not sure if Annapurna would this without an agreement with the developer.

Yes it is needed. Many pc gamers don't want store exclusivity deals becoming the norm on pc.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I understand the decision to not support exclusivity deals like this. You can let the developer and publisher know your dissatisfaction, but personal attacks are unwarranted. These people care. And they read threads like this.
No offense, but if they read threads like this in ERA, and other sites like Reddit, they must be fully aware why people don't want these exclusivity deals, and yet they still sign them.

I agree that conversations around the internet about EGS games have been pretty polluted with platform war stuff. That's why I mostly discuss games on the EGS forums. http://epicgames.com/forums/solar-ash-kingdom/. See, the discussion is way more civil there.
But I get a 404 page... Oh... Oooooohhhhhh.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Loved HLD and this looks great too. Will decide about the store thing when we get there. Happy that these guys get to make a new game!

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Being an exclusivity is a valid parameter (among others) to take into account when deciding wether and when I should buy a game, in my opinion.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Extremely into the style of that trailer. I didn't love Hyper Light Drifter but I liked it enough to keep an eye on what the studio does next.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say that final splash screen was a real downer LOL.

Looks pretty, although it seems this flat-shaded aesthetic for 3D indie games is starting to become as ubiquitous as low-res pixel art for their 2D brethren.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
When previous games were released on Steam then I see no reason why they should be called out about it. This thread really has not been "shitted" up by the no steam no buy crowd.

I even acknowledged at least the announcement was done in a way that no one even knew the game existed so props for that. Still timed exclusives suck no matter how you look at it.
That's great, and I'm not particularly fond of it either, but I don't really see how this level of discourse does not fall under port begging and console warring type behavior at this point.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Looks great but if it's only on EGS I ain't buying, sorry.

That's great, and I'm not particularly fond of it either, but I don't really see how this level of discourse does not fall under port begging and console warring type behavior at this point.

I don't like to stifle people from voicing their dissatisfaction of forcing exclusivity bullshit on the PC scene, where it never existed and doesn't belong, this isn't remotely similar to port begging.