• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
It all started last year sometime when I found an old broken-ass CRT television by the side of the road. Conjuring up images from a lost time, the haunted relic called out to me, much like sirens of the old tales enticed unwary sailors to their doom. I put it in my trunk, unleashing a cursed chain of events that would lead to me rebuilding and augmenting my childhood Nintendo 64 collection, almost breaking my back hunting down a much nicer (but also free) 27" Sony Trinitron, and selling my PS5 Digital Edition (for a small profit) to support my crippling addiction, much to my wife's chagrin.

I loved the PS5 and plan to pick it up again somewhere down the line, but I already had my fill of the wonderful launch titles and my digital library isn't going anywhere, so I'll probably just jump back in when it's more widely available in stores around the launch of GoW2 or HZD2, possibly with an even better hardware revision.

I have a couple children now and I feel like of all the retro consoles, the N64 is just fun as hell, especially for young kids with all of the amazing 3d platformers on the system. I've been playing Super Mario 64 with my boy and it holds up every bit as well as it played in 1996.

So, did I do the right thing? Judge me, era.

20210316_0743439wjvb.jpg

20210316_075458bjjo0.jpg

20210316_011734kkkm4.jpg

Bonus Trivia: The game pictured above, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, was which enormously talented Sony firsty-party studio's very first production in the late 90s when they were still independent?

Answer:
Sucker Punch Productions (who would go on to develop Sly, Infamous, and Ghost of Tsushima). And the game features an incredibly rich physics engine that feels totally unique among 3d platformers of that era.
🚨 🚨 🚨
All BOXES are mini reproductions from Etsy that fit the exact size of the cartridges. They're amazing, and a hell of a lot cheaper than the astronomical madness of current CIB prices.

Find them here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/539128369/mini-nintendo-64-protector-boxes-cases
🚨 🚨 🚨

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong here.
Maybe in future you could mod your N64 for RGB Output but this collection is awesome

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
wow, thats an amazing collection. Good games as good games regardless of the platform.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not like you need anyone's validation for doing whatever the hell you want, but since you're asking, PS5s will be plentiful for the next decade so I don't see anything wrong with that decision.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I would never do such a thing and I'm actually disgusted lol, however if it brings you happiness that's all that matters at the end the day and not my opinion or other dissenting ones.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You got a lot of good games(more good games than the PS5 currently has tbh) and they're gonna be great fun with the kids.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Rocket is the fuckin bomb — I replay it every few years! glad people are finally catching on to how great it is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
you basically got all the good n64 games so yes

wait, no. you picked the wrong colour. soiled it. ruined it, so close yet so far

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You do you OP. You can always get another PS5 down the line. That N64 looks to be in great condition.

Oct 25, 2017
First off, it's your choice and all.

But even as a hardcore Retro gamer myself I would NOT do that. Just seems crazy to me.

But hey, if you are happy, that's all that matters.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. There's some really cool wireless N64 controllers out there now that you might like, like the Brawler64.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 will be around for a long time. They will be revisions. It will get cheaper, more powerful.

Not a biggie.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
For a Nintendo 64? lmao

sad that every game worth playing on the system can fit in their retail box in an average sized drawer. you're only missing Sin and Punishment.

OP
OP
Traxus

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
honestly in the state they are in, smart move if you Conkers Bad Fur Day boxed.... you sir or madam could pay for half a ps5 with just that...

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I was worried you did a 1:1 trade and was like WHAT, but seeing you just funded this stuff with the profits or whatever it's fine. Loving all the boxed games.

Meanwhile I'm in the boat of trying to sell an N64 and a Sony Trinitron (finding someone to take the TV is not an easy task)... one day I'll free up this corner.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
They're actually these custom made mini N64 boxes that fit the exact size of the cartridge from a seller on Etsy! Saves a ton of space. And yeah, I love all the original box art. I'm really happy to have this as an option since complete-in-box prices for N64 games are fucking astronomically insane right now.
Oh wow, I had no idea, that's awesome.

Also, I think I have a ton of boxed N64 games gathering dust at my parents'... maybe I should investigate this further, hmmm.

Oct 27, 2017
Good for you, I love my n64 to this day and try to play it as much as I can

but yeah you will eventually get the same enjoyment out of your PS5 but now you have to buy it twice. I get that you made a profit (I assume 500 for the 400 model) but you will still end up spending 800-1000 when you could've just spent 400 once and gotten the 64 stuff separately.

believe me I've been swept up by the collector bug too but there are plenty of great games today you may miss out or miss out on their primes depending on how long you go. And one day you will look back on selling your PS6 or 7, and think about how great games were on PS4/5.

you do you if you've got the disposable income but if you do, it seems like a lot of steps when you could've just bought the 64 on it's own and built the collection over weeks and months instead of all at once.

I say this as a person who has a PS5, XSS, Switch, PS3, 360, PS4, Saturn, 64, PS2, Cube, Genesis all hooked up to TVs presently.

Of course what's done is done so enjoy the collection and play it As much as possible while still fresh in your mind, congrats!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
That's a sick collection, including rare games like Ogre Battle 64. Definitely worth it, especially over the digital PS5.