• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Hell naw. That is an amazing setup. The absolute worst time to start getting into retro games but I'm envious of that complete copy of Rocket. I still have my used Blockbuster copy that I just replayed last year.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
20210316_075458bjjo0.jpg

That is an outstanding collection of games, and you have a gold coloured Ocarina of Time box!

Pretty sure mine was all black besides the logo itself, which was in gold.

And your transparent blue N64 is making me feel really nostalgic...

wait where's waverace?

In the top right hand corner ... 😊

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I have no nostalgia for the N64 (in the fork of the road between N64 and PS1, I chose PS1), so I wouldn't have done this. Though, even if it was a console I DID have major nostalgia for (NES & SNES in particular), unless they came with a collection of ultra-rare games, I wouldn't have sold a PS5 either, but hey, that's me. I can understand this kinda move, though. It might not have been game-related, but I've had similar purchases in my past and I have no regrets about them.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I mean if you prefer it to the PS5 then you do you. Personally I find most games from that era hard to return to, and most N64 games are playable elsewhere, often improved. I can't imagine going back to the original Ocarina after playing the 3DS version.

Why exactly did you sell the PS5? Aren't 64 games pretty cheap? If you sold it just to afford copies with the boxes intact... again, if you're happy with the decision, you do you.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
N64 doesn't do much for me but I would totally be more excited to buy a new Vita than any of the new consoles.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Are those original boxes, or repros? I have a pretty sizable N64 collection, but only one game has a box. I've thought about buying repro boxes on eBay...

side note: my one boxed N64 game is a mint copy of OOT Gold Edition. One of my favorite old collectables.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Ah yes, the click-bait title to make you think the PS5 was sold/traded for N64 instead of already owning a N64 and selling the PS5 that you aren't playing with a profit (scalping?) to buy more games and probably food.

Gaming is all about having fun. If you are having fun playing retro games, do it! Be sure to try out Body Harvest, Armorines, Blast Corp, and ALL the Turok games while you are there! I still have mine for sure but no CRT to help me out.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you made a bad move until I saw your collection...excellent game choices. That said, outside of collection purposes, some of these games are better played elsewhere (Mario 64, Banjo, Ocarina, etc.)

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
I support using original console hardware on a CRT. Buying complete-in-box games in our current retro VG resellers market is fucking silly though, especially given all the alternatives.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Very good choice and an amazing line up you have there. Also, I think Rocket is Sucker Punch's best work.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
You did the right choice. you'll easily be able to snatch a PS5 when it's much less expensive, while the same can't be true of the collection of N64 games you have.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i have an n64 with about 40 carts, but i'm not going to lie-- the appeal for the n64 library is like 99% nostalgia for me at this point compared to other retro systems

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Nice collection OP! Happy to see Ogre Battle & Goemon in there. Two of my faves from the console.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You made the right choice op. Awesome set.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Seems like it makes sense.

You can surely get another PS5 sometime in the future and right now you get to bask in 64 bit glory.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
that's really generous! personally, my list is around 20.

I wrote it up for one of the n64 mini threads we had a while back:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
1080° Snowboarding
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Puzzle League
Super Smash Brothers
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Kart 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Pilotwings 64
Sin and Punishment
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Donkey Kong 64
Mischief Makers
Hybrid Heaven
Ogre Battle 64
Tetrisphere
Body Harvest
Turok
Turok 2
Fighters Destiny
WWF 2000
WWF No Mercy
WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
WCW/nWo Revenge
Quake II
Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
Doom 64
Mega Man 64
ISS 64/98/2000
Goemon's Great Adventure
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Wetrix
Glover
Space Station Silicon Valley
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Blast Corps
GoldenEye 007
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Killer Instinct Gold

iss 64/98/2000 I put on one line as I've only actually *played* 64, so I don't know for sure that 98 & 2000 were as good.

Of course, the N64 isn't the best place to play some of the games any more (eg turok).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Considering I assume these consoles in good condition are hard to find, I'd say you get a good deal. PS5's will eventually be available everywhere soon, but n64s are hard to find.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
You can easily pick up a PS5 next year(s). Getting a good working condition N64 with that nice of a collection is hard to come by all at once. Good call if you ask me.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Spending time with kids, searching for games at future swap meets/events, and probably paying 10 dollars a game over 70? Yet your enjoyment factor is the same or better? Ya you made the right call.

OP
OP
Traxus

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
They're not original boxes y'all. They're custom-made mini boxes fit to the exact size of the N64 cartridge from a seller on Etsy. If those were original boxes that would make my TV absolutely ginormous LOL

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly... that's a fucking great collection of games. And it'll keep it's value. Your PS5 would be worth half as much in five years and this banging collection of N64 games will probably be worth more than they are now.

Great work!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I wrote it up for one of the n64 mini threads we had a while back:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
1080° Snowboarding
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Puzzle League
Super Smash Brothers
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Kart 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Pilotwings 64
Sin and Punishment
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Donkey Kong 64
Mischief Makers
Hybrid Heaven
Ogre Battle 64
Tetrisphere
Body Harvest
Turok
Turok 2
Fighters Destiny
WWF 2000
WWF No Mercy
WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
WCW/nWo Revenge
Quake II

Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
Doom 64
Mega Man 64
ISS 64/98/2000

Goemon's Great Adventure
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Wetrix
Glover
Space Station Silicon Valley
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing

Blast Corps
GoldenEye 007
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Killer Instinct Gold

iss 64/98/2000 I put on one line as I've only actually *played* 64, so I don't know for sure that 98 & 2000 were as good.

i think this is a combination of "i can play these games elsewhere on better hardware" and "this system does not cater to my tastes at all" for me. i struckthrough the games I don't like-- I think appreciation of RARE stuff makes or breaks the system.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I want Nintendo to do a N64 classic is that there's a chance they'll be able to fix the freaking sticks and not have them deteriorate so quickly

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
No Mario Party 3 or Star Wars Episode 1 Racer does make me a bit sad... But, other than that it's beautiful! :D

Great collection of games there.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I wouldn't do it as I am a joyless husk but I smiled reading your post OP. Have fun with the kids, maybe I would do it for a PSOne as my nostalgia hits there but most likely not, see joyless husk as mentioned. What a nice lovely thread. Thanks OP.