• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always gotta have that pretty English actress lead in every Star Wars movie... not complaining though.

And seriously... there's a l337 droid? HAhahaaha....

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna watch this movie for Donald and Emilia... and maybe Chewie.
The aesthetics are bangin' but the lead dude, still no hope

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

041fea2b40d8f923749cc185da362504.jpg

That is some serious damage for ~10 years of use. Internal damage, too, and it's not like the inside has been exposed to the elements. I'd buy it if this was set 100 years before...but this is just silly.

And yet in the 35 years between ANH and TLJ, it doesn't age a bit.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is some serious damage for ~10 years of use. Internal damage, too, and it's not like the inside has been exposed to the elements. I'd buy it if this was set 100 years before...but this is just silly.

Star Wars spaceships can fly underwater soooo

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Did you ever see what happened to Obi-Wan, Owen and Beru?
"Tobias Beckett"

Seriously? That's, like, the least Star Wars-ey name ever seen in canon
Luke's name is...Luke.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Doesn't it just mostly sit in the desert though, post ROTJ? "This ship hasn't flown in years"

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

Han did say he personally went and tinkered with the ship himself. It's not entirely unbelievable that the ship would look like that pretty quickly if Han is going through and ripping the ship apart to make his own modifications to the ship.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

It looks a lot rougher in TFA than in the OT.

And I can imagine some of the damage from from being violently searched by authorities.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars spaceships can fly underwater soooo

Ehhhhh maybe? You can come up with any number of extreme scenarios, sure. It's just an extra thing I shouldn't have to be thinking about or excusing when I'm watching. In principle I like the idea of a factory new Falcon, but this smacks of being a clever idea that's poorly implemented.

Doesn't it just mostly sit in the desert though, post ROTJ? "This ship hasn't flown in years"

Good point. But say it's been sitting around for 10 years. That's still 25 years of kerazy adventures. Look, despite my protestations, I'm not so pendantic that this would ruin the film in any way. It's just I can just see the cogs in the designers' heads whirring - "how do we update the Falcon in a cool way?" - without proper consideration for the timeframes.

Did you ever see what happened to Obi-Wan, Owen and Beru?

Very true. They aged like blue milk in the two suns.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ehhhhh maybe? You can come up with any number of extreme scenarios, sure. It's just an extra thing I shouldn't have to be thinking about or excusing when I'm watching. In principle I like the idea of a factory new Falcon, but this smacks of being a clever idea that's poorly implemented.

Good point. But say it's been sitting around for 10 years. That's still 25 years of kerazy adventures. Look, despite my protestations, I'm not so pendantic that this would ruin the film in any way. It's just I can just see the cogs in the designers' heads whirring - "how do we update the Falcon in a cool way?" - without proper consideration for the timeframes.

Very true. They aged like blue milk in the two suns.
I'd personally like to know how long the falcon was sitting around unused.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The biggest problem in the prequels was making the gap between ROTS and ANH 19 years. Should have been 30 at least.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I just see it as han and chewie cannibalizing parts, making extreme modifications, and putting that machine through some shit.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible Han stripped out all of the seat/wall covers etc in and fort to maximize speed and performance, eliminating anything not "needed" in his eyes? Same way the inside of a race car can look stripped out.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Alden always looks like he is filmed with an extreme zoom lens. His jawline and face are so wiiiide.

About Falcon cleanliness: Could be that they will pull a switcheroo. The clean Falcon is his mentor's/employer's ship and at the end of the movie the guy is like: You earned yourself a ship, here is an older model of the same line I am not using anymore.
But I guess if the giant tentacle squid thing in the trailer is part of the Kesselrun, then this Falcon aged like an American citizen during the Trump presidency between SOLO and ANH.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem in the prequels was making the gap between ROTS and ANH 19 years. Should have been 30 at least.

The problem is that's actually not an issue with the prequels, it's an issue with Empire Strikes Back.

The decision to make Vader Luke's father, when Luke is only 19 years old in ANH, means that everything Obi-Wan told Luke about the collapse of the Republic and fall of the Jedi must have only happened 19 years ago.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that's actually not an issue with the prequels, it's an issue with Empire Strikes Back.

The decision to make Vader Luke's father, when Luke is only 19 years old in ANH, means that everything Obi-Wan told Luke about the collapse of the Republic and fall of the Jedi must have only happened 19 years ago.

Yes a lot of weird issues come from that decision.
Obi Wan keeping his Jedi robes, keeping his last name, keeping Luke's last name, keeping him right there at the Lars farm on his father's home planet. Shit just doesn't make any sense whatsoever if you wanna hide him from the Empire and Vader but that is the price for the retcon from ANH to ESB.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'll see this but it just makes me sad there isn't an Obi-Wan movie announced given that the only guy in Star Wars who apparently liked being in Star Wars was Ewan McGregor.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Yes a lot of weird issues come from that decision.
Obi Wan keeping his Jedi robes, keeping his last name, keeping Luke's last name, keeping him right there at the Lars farm on his father's home planet. Shit just doesn't make any sense whatsoever if you wanna hide him from the Empire and Vader but that is the price for the retcon from ANH to ESB.
Nah. Owen and Beru didn't necessarily have to be Luke's literal aunt and uncle -- they aren't named Skywalker. There was an old, old theory before the prequels that Owen was actually Obi Wan's brother. Furthermore, they could have been related to Luke on his mom's side, rather than Vader's. Nothing was known about Luke's mom before the prequels, except that she was long dead and that Leia somehow remembered her (so much for that). Obi Wan's robes were in the same fashion as Owen and Luke's vestments, so that's not especially weird.

Everything got fucked up in TPM. Anakin was born and raised on Tatooine. Anakin built Threepio (fucking what?). Obi Wan knew R2. Then AotC double fucked it up by introducing a relationship between Anakin and Owen.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible Han stripped out all of the seat/wall covers etc in and fort to maximize speed and performance, eliminating anything not "needed" in his eyes? Same way the inside of a race car can look stripped out.

Could be. Several people in this thread think modifications/searches by the authorities could account for the ageing. I just assumed "special modifications" meant adding a fin on the back or installing a nitro booster or something, not vomiting on every visible surface.

About Falcon cleanliness: Could be that they will pull a switcheroo. The clean Falcon is his mentor's/employer's ship and at the end of the movie the guy is like: You earned yourself a ship, here is an older model of the same line I am not using anymore.
But I guess if the giant tentacle squid thing in the trailer is part of the Kesselrun, then this Falcon aged like an American citizen during the Trump presidency between SOLO and ANH.

Maybe the Kessel Run exposes the interior to some crazy energy waves which strips it down in an instant.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
"Tobias Beckett"

Seriously? That's, like, the least Star Wars-ey name ever seen in canon
Owen Lars

I'm not getting it. If Vader wasn't Luke's father, his actual father was still a Jedi who was purged by Vader alongside the rest of the Jedi, as Obi-Wan said. So what's different?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never outright said that. I just said the dude looks weird with the hairstyle they gave him. It's like they are trying to go for the New Hope hair but fail miserably. It's just something that stands out to me I guess.

It does look weird like they've combed his hair forward and hiding Vulcan ears or something. He does seem to have curls though so I doubt his hair was ever going to look right and like most dudes he is already losing it from the front which doesn't help.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Owen Lars

I'm not getting it. If Vader wasn't Luke's father, his actual father was still a Jedi who was purged by Vader alongside the rest of the Jedi, as Obi-Wan said. So what's different?

The difference is that there could have been a long gap between the "fall" of Vader and Vader killing Luke's father. It could have been that Luke's father was killed years into the Empire being a thing. With Vader hunting Jedi for a decade before finally killing Luke's father.
With Vader BEING Luke's father you have to have him make a baby with Padme before he finally completes his fall the dark side and then it can be no longer than 18 or 19 years between that and ANH.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's an issue with the prequels. Originally the collapse of the Republic and the fall of Darth Vader had nothing to do with one another. The ANH novelization states that there were multiple Emperors before the current one, and Vader only joined the later corrupt ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The difference is that there could have been a long gap between the "fall" of Vader and Vader killing Luke's father. It could have been that Luke's father was killed years into the Empire being a thing. With Vader hunting Jedi for a decade before finally killing Luke's father.
With Vader BEING Luke's father you have to have him make a baby with Padme before he finally completes his fall the dark side and then it can be no longer than 18 or 19 years between that and ANH.
But then that all still sounds like a prequel problem, not ESB. Any number of backstories could have been cooked up.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's partially that, and also if they're smuggling contraband goods, it's definitely more advantageous from them to have a ship look that looks like a hunk of junk, inside and out.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
But then that all still sounds like a prequel problem, not ESB. Any number of backstories could have been cooked up.

Well 18 years makes Han's non knowledge about lightsabers, Jedis or that Death star Admiral's "your sad devotion to that ancient religion" and all the other mentions of the Clone Wars and timeline hints a bit weird.
It all just had happened 18 years ago. It will soon be 18 years since 9/11 and Afghanistan. Especially in a giant timeless universe like the one in SW 18 years would be basically nothing.
~35 years would make a lot more sense, including for Ben Kenobi's age.