• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Solo is the most fun SW movie since RoTJ

Nov 15, 2018
I watched this yesterday and I’m impressed. Movie is good old fashioned fun, with lots of easter eggs for old Star Wars fans. Love Beckett using Lando’s disguise in RoTJ, Asteroid Field playing during the Maelstrom sequence. The action scenes are plenty and entertaining.

No soap opera esque romance like in the prequels, no subverting expactations. The movie treats the SW legacy with respect and just wants its audience to have fun. Also Donald Glover killed it as Lando.

The movie also set it up for possible sequels but alas it bombed sadly. Would’ve liked more movies like this in the Star Wars franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
It's passable and forgettable. Not something a movie about Han Solo should be. Do it right or don't do it at all. Really wanted a 'day in the life of Han' style movie instead of a terrible origin story that explains every last little thing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the casting choices and really disappointed with the writing.

Nov 4, 2017
I mostly agree. It was incredibly fun. My main gripe against it was that I didn't want more Han Solo. IMO his screen time should have ended with The Force Awakens. Not only that, but I also didn't care to see a Han Solo that wasn't Harrison. I though Alden did great, but it would be like if they made a Obi-Wan tv/movie without Ewan McGregor. Or a Harry Potter with out Daniel Radcliffe...

Oct 27, 2017
The movie treats the SW legacy with respect and just wants its audience to have fun.
Yep. Went in with really low expectations with the troubled production and coming off the franchise-killing level bad decisions from TLJ, and was pleasantly surprised at how many Easter eggs it had, random small points explained (showing the team cared about the franchise), and wonderful tie-in to Star Wars Rebels with the cameo at the end. Would've loved to see another in the line, but some things just aren't to be.

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree. It was incredibly fun. My main gripe against it was that I didn't want more Han Solo. IMO his screen time should have ended with The Force Awakens. Not only that, but I also didn't care to see a Han Solo that wasn't Harrison. I though Alden did great, but it would be like if they made a Obi-Wan tv/movie without Ewan McGregor. Or a Harry Potter with out Daniel Radcliffe...
You realize Ewan McGregor was, in fact, a younger actor playing a famous character who was older, right? Not the best argument.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It was OK. I can see why people had a lot of fun with it, but I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more had it not tried to be an origin story and probably even more so had it not been a Han Solo movie. In those two aspects I thought the movie was quite bad.

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. It's comfortable. It slots right in to its place.

Could it have been better and more exciting? Yeah. Could it have done without the stupid "Solo" last name origin? Obviously. Could it have used more Thandie Newton? Definitely.

I want a sequel, but now we'll never get it, and we'll probably never get that "young" Obi-Wan movie either.

Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since the OT though, IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
It's a decent popcorn movie. Looking back on it, I might've enjoyed Solo more than The Force Awakens and Rogue One (outside of the last scene). It's definitely better than The Last Jedi.

One thing it did better at than the other Disney-era movies is establishing interesting side characters. Obviously Lando and Han aren't new characters, but I was interested in seeing more of that portrayal of Lando and Qi'ra. L3-37 had her moments too. I feel like I know them more than I do any of the new characters from the sequel trilogy not named Kylo Ren.

Oct 25, 2017
It was sloppy and forgettable, a Disney cash in to Marvel-ise the brand, I struggled to get through, and I only did because I was told the ending was something special. Yes the ending was great, but not because the movie pays off in any satisfactory way. Will never watch it again, worse then AotC for me. Alden was a shit solo, and nothing like I imagined him to be, 10yrs prior to ANH.

Oct 27, 2017
It was OK. One could definitely tell it had been through the creative ringer, so to speak. I think its biggest problem was trying to humanize Solo in a weird way. He's a rogue. He's dashing and daring and all that. We didn't need some kind of loving backstory.