• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
When SOMA launched, PC folks modded out most of the encounters in the 'wuss mod', which Frictional decided to make an official version of later for the XBO release.

The PS4 patch to add the feature is now out.

Enjoy.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I already watched the ending on YouTube, because I didn't think such a patch would ever come. But I might actually redownload now.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool. I've been waiting for this, it wasn't that scary from what I played but I just want to enjoy the story and themes without the horror in this case.

I've heard it's got a great ending, i might actually see it now.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably still be too scared to play it, but glad it happened! Thx Frictional Games!

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Already finished this great game a long time ago, but great for those that want it.

Just curious, do you still earn trophies/achievements while playing the game in this mode?

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Those encounters were such a PITA because of completely erratic movement of the enemies, and you couldn't even look in the direction. At least that specific encounter was killing the game for me. I read you were supposed to just look away and then you're safe, but that didn't work. I looked straight at a wall, still died. I looked into a corner, still died. Every path I tried, the enemy was in the way. I like scary games, I just hate bad ones, even when the story is excellent.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
Huzzah!

Been waiting ages for this coming to PS4. I've already completed the game twice using the "normal" method but I've always been eager to fully explore every nook and cranny this game has to offer without the constant threat of shitting myself.

I'll be slowly walking through this tonight.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously just passed what's supposed to be the hardest encounter in the game like 5 mins ago. Took me over an hour. So goddamn annoying. I was just thinking, "Man, I could really use that safe mode right about now..."

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does it affect trophies?
According to Frictional Games blog - no it doesn't affect them, you can still get them in the safe playthrough. All the trophies are about progressing in the story anyway and the game doesn't have a platinum.

As for the safe mode, I wouldn't replay it myself, but this is definitely a good idea. The game has a really interesting story and many people might not play or finish the game otherwise.

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017
what is the point

how can it be scary without risk

SOMA isn't a horror game in the traditional sense. It's more about psychological horror than jump scares/encounters so the enemy encounters are a huge juxtaposition to the overall tone.

There's only 2/3(?) encounters in the whole game if I remember correctly and I never had any issue with them but seemingly a lot of people did.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, in an ideal game, the encounters would be dangerous, scary and rewarding. But better gone than the way they are now. And making them better would require much more work.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This will make me jump back in, I stopped at the first encounter simply because I just can't stand the running and hiding gameplay mechanic.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
Strange. Unlike for example Alien Isolation the (very) few monster encounters in SOMA already were very easy and forgiving.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
SOMA isn't a horror game in the traditional sense. It's more about psychological horror than jump scares/encounters so the enemy encounters are a huge juxtaposition to the overall tone.

There's only 2/3(?) encounters in the whole game if I remember correctly and I never had any issue with them but seemingly a lot of people did.

Way more than 2/3 encounters. I've been playing through it the last few nights. The story is one of the best I've ever played through but the pacing just grinds to a halt whenever the "monsters" show up. You can't fight. Just a lot of hiding for long periods of time while you wait for an opening. I love the atmosphere but I find the encounters really aggravating.

It's not always clear how to get around the monsters. It feels like a lot of trial and error and sometimes just janky. I wish they would have re-tuned the encounters to be more thrilling and less annoying but not so far that they're completely harmless.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give this another playthrough soon. I didn't outright hate the Monster encounters but they were hit or miss. I found the implications of the story and being at the bottom of the deep ocean a lot more scary most of the time than being chased by monsters of varying quality.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I didn't have a problem with the enemies originally but I will try out a chilled mode next time I play it.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Once the monsters are out, are there any jump-scares left? I love me some atmospheric horror but couldn't stomach Amnesia

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
what is the point

how can it be scary without risk
They can be more frustrating than scary to be honest, they aren't super well designed, and the atmosphere, story and environments are all of such a higher quality and can offer a real sense of fear and dread that you'll still get a really meaningful and intense experience this way, it won't be the best way to play for a lot of players, most even, but its a great option to have.

soft edit: ugh, sorry hydrophilic attack, didn't see how many replied to you already, should've read down a bit more first, its early.

Amnesia was strange with its monster encounters too, there were quite few, but if you died to them it really felt like the game would cheat a bit and spawn them in a different location or with a different pattern so you wouldn't have to really have to deal with them again, but the tension would still be there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuBurns

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Once the monsters are out, are there any jump-scares left? I love me some atmospheric horror but couldn't stomach Amnesia
The game wasn't really a jump scare experience. It's more of an oppressive, existential horror thing.

It's in no way Amnesia levels of scary. Not even Machine for Pigs scary.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Genuinely one of my favourite experiences this gen. It's the only game I made a thread about on the old place.
I wouldn't mind another playthrough minus the monsters. Hmmmm...

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Soma isnt really scary at all. But man this game will stick with you.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hmm, not sure if this will impact the overall experience, but if it gets more people to play through SOMA then I'm all for it. Such an incredibly memorable experience.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such an amazing game!
I don't know why you would hold on playing it (enemies weren't particularly scary or tedious), but now you have definitely no excuse anymore.

I'd still say play it with enemies though...

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Interesting! If the enemies put you off of the game, you really should take a look at it now. It has one of my favorite stories from any horror game.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine playing SOMA with all of the tension sucked out of the game. It's doesn't even make up a huge portion of the game but not knowing what's around every corner adds a ton of atmosphere and suspense on a first playthrough. Not to mention how death and mortality are huge themes throughout the experience. To each their own I guess. I could definitely see myself using this mode to soak in the environments after my initial playthrough. I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice playing SOMA in this mode on a first playthrough though.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I can't imagine playing SOMA with all of the tension sucked out of the game. It's doesn't even make up a huge portion of the game but not knowing what's around every corner adds a ton of atmosphere and suspense on a first playthrough. Not to mention how death and mortality are huge themes throughout the experience. To each their own I guess. I could definitely see myself using this mode to soak in the environments after my initial playthrough. I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice playing SOMA in this mode on a first playthrough though.

This misconception about monsters being absent in the safe mode, and the mode being in contradiction with the themes, apparently still lives on.

More informations about how Safe Mode will work
The monsters in Safe Mode aren't out to kill you, but they will react to your presence. "We have to think of them as inhabitants of the environment and make their interactions with the player fit the game's atmosphere and story. I'm actually surprised by how well it all turned out. It fits the game far better than I thought it would when we started working on it. To be honest, it even made me question if this was the way the game should have been released in the first place. But I haven't made my mind up about that yet."

The monsters won't just stand around doing nothing either, and might even attack if you annoy them enough. "So while you can't die, the monsters may still be dangerous if you push your luck too much," says Grip. "This means there's still a sense of hostility in these creatures, which preserves the original intention of making the world feel inhospitable and oppressive. It's details like this that should make Frictional's Safe Mode more compelling, and more naturally integrated, than the Wuss Mode mod. Although it'll be interesting to see how it gets around that fraught moment in the wrecked ship.

Here's what the founder and director of Frictional Games said about the mode
I ask Grip if designing Safe Mode has changed the way he'll think about horror game design in the future. "It depends on the game, but we'll think about encounters differently," he says. "I think the biggest problem with SOMA is that the experience of meeting the creatures doesn't really add anything to the themes. They help build the atmosphere, but the stories they generate don't have a lot to do with the game's larger themes of identity and consciousness. Gameplay has to give rise to personal stories that mirror the narrative, and we're making sure this is the case in both our upcoming games."

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This misconception about monsters being absent in the safe mode, and the mode being in contradiction with the themes, apparently still lives on.
That's not a misconception. It's a different opinion.

There's no tension whatsoever if you don't fear death. Getting the player to fear for their lives and think about the possibility of death adds a great deal to the game. The story might remain intact without that fear but something is still lost in the process. Going through the game without those sequences turns the entire experience into a theme park ride. I think it would be a lesser experience. You and the game's developers are free to disagree.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That's not a misconception. It's a different opinion.

There's no tension whatsoever if you don't fear death. Getting the player to fear for their lives and think about the possibility of death adds a great deal to the game. The story might remain intact without that fear but something is still lost in the process. Going through the game without those sequences turns the entire experience into a theme park ride. I think it would be a lesser experience. You and the game's developers are free to disagree.

Untrue. That's also a different opinion. I find something like Silent Hill 2 far more tense than any Resident Evil game, eventhough its monsters aren't really a threat.

The director also said, that the mode isn't in contradiction with the themes of the game.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
still havent played SOMA even though i own it for PS4

can you play it normally, then if you get frustrated by the monster like you guys are describing, you can just turn it on?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find the encounters scary, I found them shitty, and to tarnish an otherwise worthwhile experience.
Agreed. The encounters were boring hide and crouch walk. You couldn't do anything to affect those encounters besides throw a wrench. And when you died you just respawned. One encounter had me be attacked, then respawn closer to the objective. Sure. The story is very good and the encounters just ruin it, the monsters aren't scary either. I ran up to the first one because it looked interesting, not scary.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything ruined the theme of the game it was the epilogue, not the encounters, but if it gets more people to enjoy the otherwise cool story, then that's great.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Untrue. That's also a different opinion. I find something like Silent Hill 2 far more tense than any Resident Evil game, eventhough its monsters aren't really a threat.

The director also said, that the mode isn't in contradiction with the themes of the game.
You're getting hung up on the word "contradiction". That's not really the crux of my argument. I'm not comparing SOMA to other games. I'm comparing it to itself. The fear of death adds to SOMA and taking that fear away lessens the experience. That fear gives the player a tangible connection to the themes of the game. It also adds tension in a more general sense because you don't want to lose progress. Taking these aspects away from the game might not contradict anything but it certainly takes something away from the experience.

Like I said, you and the director are free to disagree.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The encounters were fine and quiet easy in my opinion with the exception of the last one. Being stuck in a hallway with enemies that trigger before they can see you was some bullshit. Forced you to figure out a pattern one fail at a time and it killed the flow of the game.

OP
OP
StuBurns

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
You're getting hung up on the word "contradiction". That's not really the crux of my argument. I'm not comparing SOMA to other games. I'm comparing it to itself. The fear of death adds to SOMA and taking that fear away lessens the experience. That fear gives the player a tangible connection to the themes of the game. It also adds tension in a more general sense because you don't want to lose progress. Taking these aspects away from the game might not contradict anything but it certainly takes something away from the experience.

Like I said, you and the director are free to disagree.
But you factually do not lose progress. You reset at the very same encounter. The camera is just wonkier than it was. It's insanely irritating and entirely pointless. It's not scary, it's just trying your patience.

There is no 'skin' in it. Just your ability to put up with bullshit.