• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racists can get fucked. That's kind of the end of that. Suddenly everybody is in uproar about a movie literally made by Disney for kids.

Get fucked racists. Get fucked everywhere you are.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Little Mermaid is a film about two people from different cultures falling in love and uniting said cultures.

I question whether any of these idiots actually watched the film if they're this obviously racist,

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
It's very courteous of them to start complaining about this before having seen a trailer or even a screenshot. Now we don't have to entertain the idea that this racist concern trolling could have been legitimate criticism.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah she doesn't look like the OG Ariel but that is not the point anyway. These remakes are for a new generation of kids and not for us old farts and I don't see anything wrong with having a black Ariel because there are plenty of black girls out there who would love a Disney princess "for them".
The only thing that would deeply offend me is if she can't sing at all.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I expected this from a country whose ad agencies thought it was entirely appropriate to have a washing powder advertisement cast a black actor to have "the dirt washed out" as a white man at the end of the ad....

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Aquaman never looked like Jason Mamoa but no one said shit about that....

Hmmmmm

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the Chinese government thinks, they are the ones that approve every single foreign film to either be allowed to be shown in China or not (like Ghostbusters 2016, Suicide Squad, Deadpool, Call me By Your Name were banned due to content) and recently they have been ramping up their anti-Hollywood machine. If they start shutting Hollywood out of chinese box offices it would be a pretty big impact.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure disney is fully aware about how the chinese market thinks about a non-white ariel movie.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You consider it controversial to say something like Black Panther is more meaningful than casting Hally Berry as Catwoman?
No, they object to Disney's Little Mermaid being called " White culture" when it's an an American adaptation set in the Carribean using Carribean influenced pop music.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...even in Malaysia too some well known people here are all like "not my ariel" or something on twitter.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You ain't even being subtle. Good luck. You are going on ignore now. Bubye!
You are the one insulting someone without going into the content. Calling people racist because they figured out you only quoted half a post and refuse to elaborate is stupid.

No, they object to Disney's Little Mermaid being called " White culture" when it's an an American adaptation set in the Carribean using Carribean influenced pop music.

That is a good point. I assume that is the difference between me thinking of the little statue first.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she doesn't look like the OG Ariel but that is not the point anyway. These remakes are for a new generation of kids and not for us old farts and I don't see anything wrong with having a black Ariel because there are plenty of black girls out there who would love a Disney princess "for them".
The only thing that would deeply offend me is if she can't sing at all.
Which is important for a character who is mute for most of the story

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a damn shame China is so anti-black. Even their own people with darker skin are discriminated and mocked

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Little Mermaid is a film about two people from different cultures falling in love and uniting said cultures.

I question whether any of these idiots actually watched the film if they're this obviously racist,
No no you dont get it. They are all for differant cultures coming together!

Just, y'know, as long as both those cultures are white.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sorry, not sorry.

this is besides the point but who names their kid halle when your last name is bailey?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Little Mermaid was based around the Caribbean, right? Makes more sense to me.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this actress could have been an actual fucking living, breathing mermaid and people would still be losing their fucking minds that she is not white.