• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Restructure it and change the name to something that sounds less like a fucking death squad.

Oct 30, 2017
Oh, nice seeing still on your but both sides whataboutism.

So I'm not allowed to criticize a vapid, meaningless idea? If you're a serious person running for President, you should explain how the slogan you're signing onto is supposed to work. There are only two ways this could go forward. Either you rename and recreate a new immigration enforcement agency like what happened with INS in 2003, or you clean up the current system while keeping the same name. When you simply say "abolish ICE," there are people who agree with you and disagree with you who will not understand what you're actually saying. This is why it's a dumb slogan, because it's open to interpretation.

Additionally, if your position is to just go back to 2002, then you should at least know what INS was and what powers they had because they were also responsible for workplace/residential raids and detainment. What the hell did you think they were tasked with? I'd bet any money in the world that old articles from the 80s and 90s would show you plenty of people complaining about their tactics and abuses as well.

Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
ICE is an agency that's been around for practically two decades and has over 20,000 employees. Anyone who thinks you can simply abolish something like that has jumped on the same "easy answers to complex problems"-train Trump is riding on. What it needs is oversight, not just a leash but a shock collar too as it were, because it has practically none right now. The FBI wasn't abolished either after J. Edgar Hoover was finally out of there.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It'd probably be a good idea that clearly massively corrupt and morally bankrupt organisations in the United States should be tackled through gradual, calm reforms instead of sweeping, radical change, as we have seen with things like the uh, the police.

abolish ice bitch

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
ICE is an agency that's been around for practically two decades and has over 20,000 employees. Anyone who thinks you can simply abolish something like that has jumped on the same "easy answers to complex problems"-train Trump is riding on. What it needs is oversight, not just a leash but a shock collar too as it were, because it has practically none right now. The FBI wasn't abolished either after J. Edgar Hoover was finally out of there.

ICE was formed in about a week through the abolition of several agencies that had been around much longer.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Get out of here with your logic!

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I am really surprised and happy with Dems about this. "Abolish ICE" is a bold and instantly grabbing policy position to take for a party that tends to be super reserved and caught up in the minutiae of having all their bases covered and not offending anyone. It's catchy and fits on a shirt. Yes, it's a position that's going to piss off the right, but it'll galvanize the left. I mean, seriously, Dems usually have a really freaking hard time with this.

It also doesn't hurt that it's morally the correct stance to take. ICE really is a failed and dangerous force and really should be abolished.

What Dems should focus on next, as I see it from my comfy armchair, is on the follow-up response. Republicans response to this has been predictable, "DEMS WANT OPEN BORDERS!" But so far I have yet to see a Dem meet that with a response as blunt and effective, and they really need to. Republicans will win the messaging on this if Dems allow themselves to be put on the defensive immediately after firing the first shot.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I am really surprised and happy with Dems about this. "Abolish ICE" is a bold and instantly grabbing policy position to take for a party that tends to be super reserved and caught up in the minutiae of having all their bases covered and not offending anyone. It's catchy and fits on a shirt. Yes, it's a position that's going to piss off the right, but it'll galvanize the left. I mean, seriously, Dems usually have a really freaking hard time with this.

It also doesn't hurt that it's morally the correct stance to take. ICE really is a failed and dangerous force and really should be abolished.

What Dems should focus on next, as I see it from my comfy armchair, is on the follow-up response. Republicans response to this has been predictable, "DEMS WANT OPEN BORDERS!" But so far I have yet to see a Dem meet that with a response as blunt and effective, and they really need to. Republicans will win the messaging on this if Dems allow themselves to be put on the defensive immediately after firing the first shot.

"Repugs want concentration camps!"

Done.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to believe (not really) that democrats would be this stupid. Just like Maxine Waters instigating confrontation. Just sit back and let Trump and his shit policies doom the GOP. Claiming you want to abolish ICE will motivate the racists like nothing else. It also takes a winning issue (zero tolerance) and gives Trump more ammo for his immigrant bullshit. Stop being stupid, please. Just say you want to reevaluate or review ICE policies and tactics. Don't make this a battle with a law enforcement agency. You'll lose every time.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to believe (not really) that democrats would be this stupid. Just like Maxine Waters instigating confrontation. Just sit back and let Trump and his shit policies doom the GOP. Claiming you want to abolish ICE will motivate the racists like nothing else. It also takes a winning issue (zero tolerance) and gives Trump more ammo for his immigrant bullshit. Stop being stupid, please. Just say you want to reevaluate or review ICE policies and tactics. Don't make this a battle with a law enforcement agency. You'll lose every time.

Zero tolerance isn't a winning issue. Barely over half of Republicans backed family seperation, and that's bad news for the GOP.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They have a winning issue with kids being separated and caged. Running on abolishing ICE muddies the water, not to mention it's completely fucking stupid.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Zero tolerance isn't a winning issue. Barely over half of Republicans backed family seperation, and that's bad news for the GOP.
It was a winning issue for Democrats. They could lay that abomination at the feet of the president and the GOP. The goal is to win both the house and the Senate in 2018. 2020 should be to gain even more seats plus the white house. Then you can start talking about abolishing ICE. Until then, just talk about how it needs to be reevaluated.

activepassive

Oct 28, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Congratulate yourself on a job well done. Maybe crack open a beer.
That's about the extent of actual replacement policy I've heard posited.

Delegate the responsibilities that ICE had to other agencies. No one is talking about having no immigration enforcement.
I haven't seen anyone suggest anything substantive in its place. Can someone point me to some actual policy?