• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"It's just another launcher you need to install and open."

No, it's not. Let me explain.

I personally don't care if I have to install and launch another launcher, what I care the most is whether I can afford the games or not. I actually have other launcher installed, such as B.Net, Uplay, and Origin. And it's perfectly fair if they want to lock their first party games into their store, as you can see from Blizzard and EA doing with their launcher. I can also buy them from 3rd party key sellers which will make them cheaper than buying directly from the store. But what Epic doing is not exactly that, they're taking away 3rd party games that were meant to be released in other stores and make them their store exclusive, with no way to buy them other than from their store as there's no feature to register a game key.

Now to the matter at hand. We live in a global world, there are many other countries and regions outside of US and EU, including my country Indonesia. In the past several years, Steam has been positively supporting these countries with local currency support, Steam wallet cards, and regional pricing. This has been a blessing especially for my country. Buying games are easier and cheaper than ever. I can actually go to a minimarket to buy Steam games with cash, or buy them via local 3rd party sellers, and so on. Steam has successfully convince many of us to buy games instead of pirating them nowadays. Legit video game market here is actually a thing now.

Tbf, Epic does support local payment for my country. However, there's a huge problem. As it's in USD, I'll have to pay for this amount for Shadow Complex Remastered:

a58dgh.jpg

Now, let's take a look at how much does it cost on Steam:

2ql4itg.jpg

"But that's an already released game, how do I know that it'll be the same for other games?"

Here's why. This game is already out on Steam:

ei4don.jpg

The publisher switched to Epic store to release their next game exclusively, and here's what it cost:

zwywqt.jpg

Essentially more than 3x times than on Steam.

Now you probably see my point here. This is only the start. There are still more games with "Coming Soon" status on Epic store. Some of them are already released on Steam with pretty reasonable regional pricing, including Darksiders III and Subnautica, among others. Darksiders is $60 but actually cheaper than Hello Neighbor on Epic store, it's only $30 (converted from IDR) on Steam. Imagine how would it cost on Epic Store, yes it's gonna be Rp 872.000.

11wdiec.jpg

Another thing about currency support and regional pricing, Steam is not the only one that's reinforcing it. Some other stores on PC have it, even though none of them as robust as Steam. As of now, Steam supports almost 40 currencies around the world, and some of them can be applied to multiple countries. And it's not only a thing in PC gaming. In console space Sony also have a robust regional pricing support. I believe that's one of the main reason why the Playstation 4 got a huge success worldwide, unlike the other consoles. Tbf, Microsoft also offer regional pricing and currency, even though not as good as Sony. As you can see below, $60 cost roughly $50 if converted to IDR.

zkigjs.jpg

23r0sc3.jpg

"Cool, so it does affect consumers positively, but what can regional pricing offer to publishers?"

Let's hear it from Sergey Galyonkin the SteamSpy guy who's hired by Epic himself:
Regional pricing
Steam advises setting local pricing for some markets with lower GDP per capita — mostly BRIC and developing countries. Please, follow its advice, because it matters a lot.

For example, Russians and Chinese are infamous for pirating games and if you check geo stats for some games you'll see that these countries aren't buying much.

Except when your game is priced according to expectations in this region (and localized properly, but that's a topic for another post). An average share of China in paid games is around 1%, but for GTA V it's 10% — and we're talking about 250 thousand additional copies sold because of the right price. The same is true for Russia — Russians can buy up to 18% of your game copies if you price, localize and market it right.

Effectively you can double your sales and increase your revenue by up to 50% if you cater to the most important markets outside US and Europe.

So that's that. By moneyhatting the games to Epic store, they don't only take them away from consumers from many regions in the world, but also might negatively impact the devs/publishers. I hope people can understand the frustration some of us are having with the recent move by Epic. I'm all for competition, but not like this. We're all consumers here, so let's take this issue from consumers perspective.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this is what I've been saying in epic store threads here for a while. Thanks for making a thread about it, it's important that more people realize the world is bigger than just the US/Europe.

Oct 27, 2017
Well at least they're not buying exclusivity for 3rd party games and they've got a reasonable refund policy.

*checks Epic store*

Oh, right.

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Awful regional pricing is just going to drive people to piracy in lower income countries

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
Is this something that Epic Games would be willing to change? If so, would you be okay with using the Epic Launcher from then on, or are there other negatives that will hold you back? Just curious about your position.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Are they going to implement region pricing or did they say it's something they will never support

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Publishers aren't obligated to do regional pricing. It's not somehow anti-consumer to charge what you want for your own products.

And while it really sucks for anyone who actually lives in these placing... considering the hoops people jump through to exploit regional pricing systems, I'm kind of surprised it's still as prominent as it is.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Let's wait for defenders to pop in.

- It took Steam 10 years
- Nobody cares for these features
- Who would want to live there?

Yeap, this shit is why a lot of us who actually have been gaming on PC for a long time dislike the whole Epic store situation and moneyhatting games while taking features, choice and jacking up prices for consumers.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Publishers aren't obligated to do regional pricing. It's not somehow anti-consumer to charge what you want for your own products.

And while it really sucks for anyone who actually lives in these placing... considering the hoops people jump through to exploit regional pricing systems, I'm kind of surprised it's still as prominent as it is.
There it is. Hoops indeed.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is basic stuff. I mean even if they plan to improve this stuff in the future...they never should have launched like this in the first place. And bribed third parties for store exclusives.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Sorry rest of the world PC players but you gotta sacrifice to fight the monopoly. Maybe get another job.

The above is sarcasm. Hard to tell with some of the hot takes going around Era right now.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Same, games are very much affordable on steam for me and others in my country it's the thing that got us to buy games instead of pirating can very much relate

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah regional pricing is great and im more likely to use a store if it supports CAD. Canadians dont get screwed nearly as hard as Russia or China would without regional pricing, but I buy a lot of games and the few dollars extra having to use USD costs me really adds up.

Ashen is like 6-7 dollars more on Epic than Xbox and even though its not much, 6 dollars is 6 dollars and ill buy it on Xbox to save it.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can't exploit regional pricing on Steam like people think. And yeah, I know they aren't obligated to do it, but when their lead store dev is a guy who spent some time saying it's a great idea to have it, you can't help but wonder why it isn't included as a feature from the get go...

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Epic will eventually get regional pricing but until they do, those exclusives will be economically out of reach for millions of people.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Competition works both ways guys. It's not just Epic keeping Steam in check, it's Steam being the standard bearer. Epic needs to sort most of these problems out if they want to be viable. That's how this works. But most of you don't want Epic to improve, because then you'd have to download another free launcher.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Competition works both ways guys. It's not just Epic keeping Steam in check, it's Steam being the standard bearer. Epic needs to sort most of these problems out if they want to be viable. That's how this works. But most of you don't want Epic to improve, because then you'd have to download another free launcher.
lmao, jesus wept

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
3 years to sort this shit out and all Epic did in the mean time was moneyhat a bunch of indies. Don't even have cloud save support...what a joke.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
to a certain extent, all Nintendo games digita are also more expensive where I live. $80 usd (no, not the edition with DLC) for Smash digital vs $60 usd on Amazon lol

Oct 27, 2017

We'd also have to give our personal information out to another major corporation, and pay whatever prices Epic wants us to pay because as of right now you can't buy keys to their games on 3rd party sites, and use whatever controllers Epic decided they'll support, and deal with no cloud support etc., etc.

It's not just downloading another launcher.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
You know what makes a good first impression? Moneyhatting, hypocrisy and missing features.

None of which are acceptable when you have a blueprint which you could follow before launch.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already have it downloaded, but i'm not going to buy shit there. Try again.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You haven't been able to abuse the fuck out of russian prices in ages. The changes in the marketplace and gifting rules put a stop to that pretty definitely years ago.

Sadly.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is this something that Epic Games would be willing to change? If so, would you be okay with using the Epic Launcher from then on, or are there other negatives that will hold you back? Just curious about your position.
Are they going to implement region pricing or did they say it's something they will never support
No idea. Of course it'd be okay if they do implement it.

But now I'm essentially sitting here waiting for that to happen. I doubt it'll be high in their priority list anyway, they still have much to do. Until then, I'm forced to pay more than double to buy games there, or don't play the game at all.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
well have you tried living in places that matter like murica or yurop /s

Steam implemented rules years ago that stop people from gifting games to people in other territories where the price differential is more than 10%. There aren't really any exploits anymore.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
According the their FAQ they do have regional pricing.

Where is the Epic Games store available?
The Epic Games store is available to players in most countries in the world except for China and where prohibited by US law, such as North Korea and Iran. Certain regions, such as South Korea, may have additional legal requirements that you may need to implement in your game in order to be compliant and to be distributed there.

Does the Epic Games store have regional pricing?
Yes, we do support regional pricing. We also have a set of suggested regional discounts based on local norms that are regularly reviewed.

Which currencies do you accept and in which currencies do you display prices?
We currently support local pricing in USD, Great British Pound, Euro, Polish Zloty, Russian Ruble, South Korean Won, Japanese Yen, Turkish Lira, and Ukrainian Hryvnia.

I didn't know that those were the only countries in the world (by the way, their suggested prices aren't exactly great either, I checked with someone who has access to the Russian store).

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, they either fix it or fail. Let them lose customers and lose business. If it dies, it dies.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
Regional pricing really is a blessing as far as online shopping in Malaysia is concerned. The country's currency has had it pretty rough against the USD for the past few years; it's very much appreciated to have these overseas companies willing to bring their prices down to make it a bit more affordable in the region.

For someone who played a big part in developing the Epic Games Store, I'm surprised Galyonkin didn't help make regional pricing a thing from Day 1.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
According the their FAQ they do have regional pricing.

Where is the Epic Games store available?
The Epic Games store is available to players in most countries in the world except for China and where prohibited by US law, such as North Korea and Iran. Certain regions, such as South Korea, may have additional legal requirements that you may need to implement in your game in order to be compliant and to be distributed there.

Does the Epic Games store have regional pricing?
Yes, we do support regional pricing. We also have a set of suggested regional discounts based on local norms that are regularly reviewed.

Which currencies do you accept and in which currencies do you display prices?
We currently support local pricing in USD, Great British Pound, Euro, Polish Zloty, Russian Ruble, South Korean Won, Japanese Yen, Turkish Lira, and Ukrainian Hryvnia.
People live outside of these places. There are like 200+ countries not on this list, including OP's country, Indonesia.

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
No idea. Of course it'd be okay if they do implement it.

But now I'm essentially sitting here waiting for that to happen. I doubt it'll be high in their priority list anyway, they still have much to do. Until then, I'm forced to pay more than double to buy games there, or don't play the game at all.

I hope that's not the case, then. Really sucks. Hopefully, they'll have a fix for this before too many exclusive games hit their market.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Steam implemented rules years ago that stop people from gifting games to people in other territories where the price differential is more than 10%. There aren't really any exploits anymore.

They exploit is you use a different account in order to transfer the Denuvo ticket to your own machine. I don't know exactly how it works but I've seen people on (unscrupulous) forums discuss these schemes. It's basically always in relation to Denuvo games, since in any other case it would be easier to just pirate a copy.