• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Some more info about the next #Bioshock game can be gathered from recent joblistings at developer Cloud Chamber Games. New available jobs include Senior Voice Designer, Game AI Programmer and Lead Systems Designer, and the job descriptions reveal some interesting details. The Senior Voice Designer listing refers to the game as a "ambitious, narratively-driven project full of character and personality" and the applicant is to help design the 'dialogue systems'. This could indicate the game has a dialogue system similar to Fallout for example. Experience with RPG games is also a requirement.

This translates to the Systems Designer listing as well, where the game is referred as a 'emergent sandbox world'. The applicant is responsible for: "Interactive world systems and non-AI systemic ecology, Player growth systems & progression and Game balance and economy". This could indicate a more open ended level design, similar to the hub based 'open world' in Bioshock 1&2 rather than the more linear approach of Bioshock Infinite.

The developer is also trying to make strides in terms of AI as they are creating "a meaningful AI urban crowd system and the systemic tribal ecology of a sometimes hostile AI." and explain that "We think we are trying some new and ambitious things with AI and have high ambitions for tying AI and storytelling together"

Sorry to link my own tweets but I just went through the joblistings of Cloud Chamber and wrote down what I thought was new and interesting. I found some others stuff on it back in August. Fingers crossed for something at TGA's tomorrow (veeeeery wishful thinking I know)

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
This is sounding a bit like Bioshock Infinite's original pitch in terms of ambition and well... We saw how that turned out.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked to see it at VGAs TBH

I'm in day one no matter what though. I love the Bioshock games to death

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Having just finished Burial At Sea, I'm excited to see where they're going.

I have never been so sad with the ending toal a DLC. :'(

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
what exactly does 'emergent sandbox world' mean? the games starts linear but you can backtrack?

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Open world? I thought the whole point of nuking Irrational was to scale down and make something a little more indie.

Edit: I guess open world can mean anything. When someone says it, I immediately think AC/Fallout/Skyrim etc.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not sure I want any of that in a Bioshock game. Are we sure this is about Bioshock and not some random open world game?

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Those sure are some buzzwords from a job description. Cautiously optimistic but if they're still in the early stages who knows how much actually makes the final cut due to budget constraints.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Burial at Sea and Bioshock 2' Minerva's Den are some of the best DLCs out there.
Funny enough, I hated Bioshock 2 when I first played it but I think it was because I was tired out from the same location as the original but I returned to it a couple of months later and it's my favorite one, gameplay wise. Minerva's Den is so good!

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't really get into the Bioshock games. The environments are cool but I felt like they needed to add some Fallout or Deus Ex elements to hold my interest. Sounds like that might be the direction they're heading.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah sounds like the standard overly ambitious pitch, that will be dialed down to much conservative xperience during last 9 months of development.
hope it turns out ok. franchise needs another shot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, that's right. Got it. I was getting this mixed up with whatever it is Ken Levine is working on.

Makes sense. All of these barely-known studios floating around in 2K's cloud not actually announcing anything can be hard to keep track of.

It's been like NINE YEARS since Infinite and Levine hasn't shown anything, it's insane.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is sounding a bit like Bioshock Infinite's original pitch in terms of ambition and well... We saw how that turned out.
Thankfully, the current consoles are powerful enough now to allow developers to realize that vision if they put the time and money into it. Bioshock Infinite's original pitch was two generations too early.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sounds great.

And anyone moaning about open-world needs to reread - it says emergent sandbox, which just means immersive sim to me.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock as an IP has so much potential, can't wait to see where they go with it. I posted ages ago on the old site what my dream sequel would be, not sure how it feasible it would be with a more open world style game though.

I would love to see another Bioshock, but I think they should move on from Rapture and Columbia, and come up with something new. I would also be pretty interested to see what theme they try to tackle, since we have already had:

Bioshock: Capitalism/Objectivism
Bioshock 2: Communism/Collectivism
Bioshock Infinite: American Exceptionalism

Personally I would love to see a sequel to have religion as a theme. They could take some influence from Hellstrom's Hive and set it in a large unground community, but one that is based on a scientology like cult. Not only would the theme give them a lot to work with, but they could also be really creative with the setting. They could have the city be inspired by the 50's view of the world of tomorrow, with an almost Fallout style aesthetic (pre war). To contrast with the city, the player could also have to travel through crystal cave systems, underground rivers and magma chambers etc.

Edit: Also think The Wicker Man for the plot.

ed783c984228317b6bb25b85117776e6.jpg

4a766410cd0cd2e33cec8c98dc18d96c.jpg

301b68c51f5c95a485e2156379df5adc.jpg

553e6274cbb4cfe9ce9f473b986f7f17.jpg

Edit: Even better if its not a traditional open world. I would hope it would be something more akin to God of War 2018 or the souls games in terms of world. If they went with an underground theme, they could also take influence from Divine Comedy as well to tie in with religious theme.

Last edited:

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock 4 has been started and scrapped multiple times now. Frankly, ill get excited when i see something. They've been trying to make a Bioshock sequel for 5 years. This one has only been in dev for 11 months. Like it'll probably be 3-4 years till it releases. IF it doesn't get canned too.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
As far as open world immersive sims go, I wonder how this will stack up against Watch Dogs Legion. For all that game's shortcomings, the immersive sim-iness of its combat zones is awesome.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
To me all those things can just as easily be read as being pretty similar to other Bioshock games. Emergent sandbox can still mean pretty linear but with multiple ways to do things that aren't programmed into the title. Dialogue systems could just mean the same old ways the previous titles did it, not necessarily that it's a system with multiple conversational options.

It'd be great if they are planning to make a big leap in the series but I'm not going to read much into what's been said so far as it doesn't really tell us anything concrete beyond it being in very early development.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I honestly hope that it will be a more metroid-like openworld with a lot of exploration required.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock & System Shock 2 were so great because they were essentially, expertly created first-person perspective metroidvanias with strong narratives & a heavy horror vibe. I feel like you're not going to get that in an open-world game.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
If it hits all the notes of the original Bioshock Infinite pitch with adaptive AI in an open world I'd be there day one. Can't wait to see what they come up with in terms of world interaction on next gen machines