• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Another E3 went by with zero official announcement, but the dev seem to have answered some questions about how Dreams VR will work, so for those unaware/doesn't follow Dreams thread, I thought it would be a great opportunity to talk about Dreams VR with a new thread.

• First of all, what is available in Dreams VR?
    Both creation tool and playing are available
    Info was confirmed from PlayStation Access video, they showed one of the VR dream played on flat screen, gif below.

Dff6g4JWkAAOHqJ.jpg

3q5pkCh.gif

5SYiFsT.gif

• Some details on how easy (or hard) it was to make a VR Dream, seems like there's a dedicated tool for tweaking VR stuff.
    Not long for ship design/controls, same for lasers & asteroids.(~1h)
    Basic enemy Ai and collision avoidance (~1h)
    VR 1 minute to tweak.
    Music by magic @edhargrave.
    Space station bits remixed from @tdallaway DrRendez vous
    Then tweaks, tweaks tweaks.
    Source
  • Foveated rendering/Dynamic resolution are utilized so they can hit a locked 60fps, reprojection to 120fps. Standard VR solutions for many devs on PSVR.
  • VR levels are planned to be tagged as "VR" and since it requires a 60fps, expect the scope of level to be not as open or as large as the non-vr stuff. Source (My take: considering how large non-vr stage can be, I think this should be expected, so not much concern here.)
  • Currently the game is targeting 60fps, bigger levels can go to 30fps, PS4 Pro will increase the number of levels that can hit 60fps. Source
  • They plan on making "crowdsource comfort rating", basically everybody can rate the comfort level after playing it, warning other players with a % of report discomfort, they have the machinery to do it but haven't implement it.
  • Dreams VR is confirmed multiple times that it will be coming day one of game release.
That's all for now, no info on whether VR will be there in beta, no release date, no beta date aside from 2018.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, I need a Pro. Sculpting cities around you or working on fine details for characters or props will be so damn good in VR. I'm absolutely going to try and build some kind of Battlestar Galactica VR sim pilot scenario.

My god this game will justify my purchase in VR, which up til now has been kinda cool but largely wasted I've felt. This is the game.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Less than half a day to mock up a VR dogfight game that can easily be misstaken for a fully commercial product.

What a crazy time we live in, it's just insane.

And im not even sure people who designed it are "the best people around for vr dog fight design"

What that game could bring to the game industry remains beyond my imagination...

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
If I had the skills, I'd build a Colony Wars remake in Dreams and send it to Shu and Kaz ;)

Dreams VR gonna be really cool, all those little and bigger experiences made by the community for free.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These types of productivity tools are amazing in VR. I remember on the old board, there were people who couldn't wrap their minds around how I could think so, but I've spent a lot of time with productivity tools in VR. Even ones that seem frivolous at first, like tilt brush, show off how much more intuitive 3D space is in VR.

I can't model for shit. It's been a weakness of mine for as long as I can remember. Thinking in multiple dimensions, but working with a 2D display just makes my head hurt. It's hard for me to gauge 3D space from 3 separate 2D viewports. I often, in the past, have resorted to using Legos to help me 3D model, as I can count units of measurement that way thanks to the grooves on the Legos.

But with VR? It's so much different. Being able to walk around your creation helps in ways you can't imagine until you try it out. I know Dreams is more than a modeling program, it's more like UE4VR. but that's even better. Even if you traditionally suck at content creation, and you have a PSVR, you should take a moment to try Dreams out. I'm less excited about Dreams specifically (although, without a doubt, it's a day-1 purchase for me), and more excited that this will be the first mass market product to show what I've been saying for a long time now.

Oct 26, 2017
These types of productivity tools are amazing in VR. I remember on the old board, there were people who couldn't wrap their minds around how I could think so, but I've spent a lot of time with productivity tools in VR. Even ones that seem frivolous at first, like tilt brush, show off how much more intuitive 3D space is in VR.

I can't model for shit. It's been a weakness of mine for as long as I can remember. Thinking in multiple dimensions, but working with a 2D display just makes my head hurt. It's hard for me to gauge 3D space from 3 separate 2D viewports. I often, in the past, have resorted to using Legos to help me 3D model, as I can count units of measurement that way thanks to the grooves on the Legos.

But with VR? It's so much different. Being able to walk around your creation helps in ways you can't imagine until you try it out. I know Dreams is more than a modeling program, it's more like UE4VR. but that's even better. Even if you traditionally suck at content creation, and you have a PSVR, you should take a moment to try Dreams out. I'm less excited about Dreams specifically (although, without a doubt, it's a day-1 purchase for me), and more excited that this will be the first mass market product to show what I've been saying for a long time now.

This. Even the super limited tools in Harmonix Music VR show how accessible it is to draw and create in 3D. Little Big Planet had the object creation where you could hand out the object for others to use, but this will be on a whole new level.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. Even the super limited tools in Harmonix Music VR show how accessible it is to draw and create in 3D. Little Big Planet had the object creation where you could hand out the object for others to use, but this will be on a whole new level.

It's about small movements of your head that can't be replicated with a mouse easily. Just being able to lean over something and intuitively gauge the distance is amazing.

Add the 3D depth cues from the stereoscopy... it's really something amazing. Google Tiltbrush got a lot of attention as a launch app for the Vive, but Google Blocks is honestly way, way more amazing and deserves much more praise. It's essentially a VR CAD program. I actually modeled my parents house in it after Hurricane Harvey so they could move walls around while redesigning the layout. It was actually useful for a productivity reason. My mom could walk through her future house in VR and see if she liked where the walls were. It was so intuitive that my 67 year old mother could manipulate it herself. To her, it was as easy as reaching out and grabbing walls and physically moving them to where she wanted them.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I'm doing research into UX in VR now and will definitely look forward to how Dreams can change the landscape as part of a toolchain.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing research into UX in VR now and will definitely look forward to how Dreams can change the landscape as part of a toolchain.

It helps that Omar Cornut worked on Dreams. The guy has been really good at UX/UI over his career. He was originally known for Meka, the SMS emulator, which looked like this:

320px-Mekaemulator.png

During a time when other emulators looked like this:

Massage.png

And today he's known probably most for either Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap, or ImGUI if you're into game development. ImGUI is a godsend if you're building tools:

v160-misc-classic.png

Dreams is gonna be pretty incredible from a UI perspective.

Diplo

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Just dawned on me but isn't this game supposed to come out this year? How do we not have a date? Or even a beta? Hard to imagine it's still this year

I also find it very weird you can't preorder this game anywhere

Last edited:

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
My most anticipated game this gen. They could announce a Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel and a remake of King of Fighters 98 using gg xrds graphical engine and I still would have Dreams top.

Just give us the release date already even if it's only for the beta.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
They could announce a Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel and a remake of King of Fighters 98 using gg xrds graphical engine and I still would have Dreams top.
I read this post and misread it the first time, when I reread it, it wasn't what I had in mind. This is how I wanted to read it:

'Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel or Remake made possible by Dreams.'

Think about it - Panzer Dragoon Saga in VR.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I read this post and misread it the first time, when I reread it, it wasn't what I had in mind. This is how I wanted to read it:

'Panzer Dragoon Saga sequel or Remake made possible by Dreams.'

Think about it - Panzer Dragoon Saga in VR.

......yeah okay imma try to make that

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so looking forward to just seeing what other people make. Knowing how ambitious some people usually gets when mucking about with these kind of things I'm expecting remarkable VR experiences.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm so looking forward to just seeing what other people make. Knowing how ambitious some people usually gets when mucking about with these kind of things I'm expecting remarkable VR experiences.
I hope, and expect, you can actually use the moves as a tracked controller in the VR experiences if you want. I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. Imagining even just something simple like a light sabre simulator or table tennis game you could make. Obviously the possibilities are extensive with this game. I'm giddy at the thought of it.

I've been thinking just how much this could democratise game creation (and more besides just game creation). People can be auteurs with this and work single handedly with tools that an ordinary person can get to grips with whereas most other avenues involve extensive software knowledge and hard maths and physics etc. This game will let anyone have a go at making something. I bet we see whole new genres effectively spring up from this.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I really hope after the long development, Sony give Dreams some good marketing and don't just send it out to die because they have something very special here with the incredible creation tools on offer, it would be a shame if it didn't sell as well as it could.

It's exciting on a number of levels, I'm looking forward to playing the game and creating my own content but also seeing what other people make too. I can imagine there will be some amazing things made from Dreams.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what is actually holding them back from releasing the game, like it looks so finished. They've shown off all the tools, they've made games live, they've done game jams and stuff. Everything looks polished and completed. I'm genuinely curious what's holding them back/stopping them from releasing the game or the beta?

Wish someone would ask in the interviews.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Sounds very on-point w/resource limits being adjusted for a VR target, being able to label it as VR and having a publicly voted comfort level.
Surprised to hear that Dreams in 2D is mostly also targetting 60fps.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
It's been an emotional rollercoaster regarding the VR day 1 stuff.... Extremely happy to hear it confirmed!

Hasanything been said about the rights to use stuff made in Dreams? Creative Commons? Would I be able to export say, a finished film?

Last edited:

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
I wonder what is actually holding them back from releasing the game, like it looks so finished. They've shown off all the tools, they've made games live, they've done game jams and stuff. Everything looks polished and completed. I'm genuinely curious what's holding them back/stopping them from releasing the game or the beta?

Wish someone would ask in the interviews.

It might simply be that they know that although Dreams looks killer, it needs to be sold to the public to make it as successful as it can be, and that means showing and sharing it often until it starts to sink in what it really is and starts to excite people.

I was ready day one, but many people have struggled with the nature of Dreams. The beta will ultimately show people what it is, but we need educating first to give it maximum impact. I think we're getting there now though - E3 reactions I've seen have been very positive.

I just want to make a space shooter where space-ships don't 'fly' like aeroplanes. Crazy, I know.

Oct 25, 2017
It just occurred to me, if LBP is any indication, Dreams will be full of a huge variety of short dreams/experiences.

This title really has the potential to Wipe out the market for the really short, cheap, simplistic experiences VR is sadly known for. Eg. Will there be a market for Rollercoaster Legends 2 if people can make their own and play others for free?

Hopefully this force devs to expand the average scope of VR games.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
thanks so much for posting this! I nearly shit my pants with excitement over the confirmation of day 1 VR. Admittedly I'm a little sour about no announcement but at least it had a presence at e3 and I know that MM will drop my jaw again when it releases. I just worry about releasing a UGC game so late in the console's life cycle. I hope it will be fully forward compatible with ps5. It would be a huge mistake not to be.

I told myself I'd get a pro for Dreams in VR. So it looks like I'll be getting the kh3 edition and putting it to good use :)

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Just dawned on me but isn't this game supposed to come out this year? How do we not have a date? Or even a beta? Hard to imagine it's still this year

I also find it very weird you can't preorder this game anywhere

Beta later this year is the only info we got at E3 :/

Very excited for Dreams in VR, could become something truly special !
But without any dates after E3, my hype is in the cellar.

Hopefully the beta comes really later this year and the launch is early 2019....

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
Wait targeting 60FPS? On VR? I'm not familiar with PSVR but holy shit that would make me puke within 2 minutes of playing on PC.

90hz is the standard for a reason.

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
This gonna blow our minds, for sure. The creativity of people using the tool in VR is as exciting as it can get.

As someone posted above, it is up to Sony to provide support for this game because they have something ESPECIAL in their hands and they could make this game live a very a long life if they add up features in the creation tool and allow posting the levels / games created by people outside the game, too.

There are so many possibilities that might be realized with this game that Sony just needs not to fuck it up royally so it becomes a killer app from day 1.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
  • Dreams VR is confirmed multiple times that it will be coming day one of game release.
Imo this is one of the main reasons why Dreams still isn't out yet. They changed multiple things during developement (as we have heard already) and added several features.
They want to release the complete package day 1. They're really careful here. As they should be. So yeah, give them all the time they need and launch it when it's finished for the PS4 and PS5.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I'm quietly excited to see how this plays out - it reminds me of LBP, where I had zero ability in the level creator but would spend hours playing through the community's creations...it really extended the games by a substantial amount.

The other thing it reminds me of is the Net Yaroze - the consumer "dev kit" for PS1...I used to love playing the "best of" discs that the Official PSX magazine. As some people have mentioned, the community can fill in the gap in demand for games, especially VR ones!

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
The big question for VR is.....will they allow us to create 1:1 VR hands?

It'll be great to play standard controller games in VR, but the ability to craft your own VR hands and hold a VR racket/bat/sword/gun to swing/aim, is something I really hope they'll allow.