• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This popped up on Youtube just now, while the existence of several returning characters are known, its cool to see them even if its oh so brief snippets from some point in the game:

Skip to 3:30 to see Kamurocho footage
6:30 has Kiryu footage
7:21 for Majima and Saejima footage

So I guess the take away from the brief character snippets are:
Kiryu is seemingly randomly fighting a whole bunch of Yakuza. He looks badass while doing it.
Saejima is in fact, not in prison by the looks of things. Him and Majima are still together, so its either pre Ichiban jail time, or an unknown plot point that takes place in present day.

The main actual gameplay though confirms Kamurocho as a city you can seemingly explore in the game (as if they'd completely remove it!). This piece of gameplay takes place in the past where Ichiban is the lowly nothing of a Yakuza enforcer, chasing down a bootleg VHS salesman for cash. Notice how they reuse Judge Eyes chase mechanics in the chase! We see a brief clip of Ichiban's aniki (Mitsu) at the end of the gameplay segment.

The demo released last month is supposed to be the beginning of chapter 4, while Ichiban makes his way to Ijencho in chapter 3, so by the looks of it, Kamurocho will probably be chapters 1 and 2 initially, and then going the last trailer (the 10 minute one) you'll revisit the place later on in the game. Just over 1 month now for the import release, I can't wait!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually had no idea about Kiryu and Majima returning. Not sure how I feel about it, especially Kiryu after the ending of Yakuza 6.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Notice how they reuse Judge Eyes chase mechanics in the chase!
DT.gif

Seriously tho, always good to see more Yakuza. I've downloaded the demo for a few days now but haven't had the time to check it out.

Edit: Wait you said chase and not tailing missions. I got those confused for a sec. Chases in Judgment were good, so that's nice to hear.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they appear in the beginning to set the scene / remind folk it's a Yakuza series game, then things spring forward.

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
DT.gif

Seriously tho, always good to see more Yakuza. I've downloaded the demo for a few days now but haven't had the time to check it out.

Edit: Wait you said chase and not tailing missions. I got those confused for a sec. Chases in Judgment were good, so that's nice to hear.
lol, I think I'd totally ignore mentioning if stalking missions were back, as no one would want to know about that! Yeah, chases are back as are many of the animations and I don't really mind. I assume its a way of sorta going the first couple of chapters without doing much combat (after all, the beginning of chapter 4 is one of the main combat tutorials, so I wondered how previous chapters would handle action if at all). I do wish they'd bring Mack back, chase missions just aren't the same without him :(

I assume they appear in the beginning to set the scene / remind folk it's a Yakuza series game, then things spring forward.
Going by the previous trailer, we know that's not true since Kiryu and Ichiban seem to meet (and Ichiban has his post jail haircut), and not to mention the flashback part of the game takes place in the 90s, which if you recall, would complete write out Saejima from appearing at all (especially with that sexy haircut ;) ) That's current day Saejima, and so that means by the time Ichiban is out of prison the Omi already own Tokyo, so Majima and Saejima would have to show up later in the game. Still, it doesn't suggest just how much of a part they'll play in the game, but I can totally see Ichiban tracking down in hiding members of the Tojo Clan to help fight his enemies when he returns to Kamurocho? Unless everyone is just hiding in Yokohama by sheer coincidence!

Only question now is, where's Akiyama (and more importantly, where's Hana).

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I think I'd totally ignore mentioning if stalking missions were back, as no one would want to know about that! Yeah, chases are back as are many of the animations and I don't really mind. I assume its a way of sorta going the first couple of chapters without doing much combat (after all, the beginning of chapter 4 is one of the main combat tutorials, so I wondered how previous chapters would handle action if at all). I do wish they'd bring Mack back, chase missions just aren't the same without him :(
Yea lol

I want the chase challenges from Y4 back. Those were really fun to do.

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yea lol

I want the chase challenges from Y4 back. Those were really fun to do.
I preferred the slightly improved chases in 5. Controls were changed slightly so that it felt like they flowed better. It felt like the point where they managed to get them working well, but I do love the rooftop stuff only 4 gets. That said, they completely changed chases yet again to a more stealthy affair in Ishin before dropping them for several games, so I guess they weren't popular?

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Looks more of the same only with a horrible turn-based battle system. Do something new SEGA!

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looks more of the same only with a horrible turn-based battle system. Do something new SEGA!
But I don't want something new, I want more Yakuza. Glad they are listening to me and not you ;) Also, the game is doing plenty new in terms of utilising mini games, side stories and other events to make your party involved in the entire game, not just the story, which is a nice change compared to previous games. Plus the brand new mini games (of which a couple of the biggest ones still haven't been shown). And while its certainly not for everyone, the combat is not what I'd call horrible, after spending hours playing the demo, I can actually appreciate how they managed to capture a Yakuza feel with the combat, much faster paced than what I expected as well.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017

Going by the previous trailer, we know that's not true since Kiryu and Ichiban seem to meet (and Ichiban has his post jail haircut), and not to mention the flashback part of the game takes place in the 90s, which if you recall, would complete write out Saejima from appearing at all (especially with that sexy haircut ;) ) That's current day Saejima, and so that means by the time Ichiban is out of prison the Omi already own Tokyo, so Majima and Saejima would have to show up later in the game. Still, it doesn't suggest just how much of a part they'll play in the game, but I can totally see Ichiban tracking down in hiding members of the Tojo Clan to help fight his enemies when he returns to Kamurocho? Unless everyone is just hiding in Yokohama by sheer coincidence!

Only question now is, where's Akiyama (and more importantly, where's Hana).

YES.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Kiryu looks a badass as ever in shades, but he's doing a bad job maintaining his dead status lol

Saejima and Majima combo it's always good.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Not really related, but I wonder how epic they can make the requisite turn-based Amon fight.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I preferred the slightly improved chases in 5. Controls were changed slightly so that it felt like they flowed better. It felt like the point where they managed to get them working well, but I do love the rooftop stuff only 4 gets. That said, they completely changed chases yet again to a more stealthy affair in Ishin before dropping them for several games, so I guess they weren't popular?
Yea, I guess so.

To me Y5 chases reminds me of the worst frame rate moments of that game so it's a sore spot haha. But yea they had improved the mechanics for sure.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Judgment chasing, huh. Fuck. I hope it's used sparingly and that the chase sequences that are there are at least somewhat unique.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
When Receive You kicked in during the Kiryu footage....
19d.gif

The Yakuza Writing Team is probably one of the few teams who could genuinely make undoing the climax of a character's story arc absolutely incredible in every way. I have, like, 99% confidence in them actually managing to pull it off.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
During the Kamurocho portion of the video, I appreciated seeing the period-appropriate, classic look. Old banners and signs, NY Hot Dog, and the Millennium Tower under construction! Cool.

Still unsure of how to feel about Kiryu's return so soon. Unless he's only in it for a small portion, he could easily steal the new cast's thunder. Not good. Especially not after the sendoff they gave him in the last game.

Majima and Saejima back. Good. They got stiffed hard in Yakuza 6. Saejima is... still wearing that same jacket he wore while on the run in Yakuza 5. I guess he must really love it. Took after his kyodai and made a concrete decision about what his hair and clothes should look like for the rest of his life, never to change his look again.

EDIT: I'd be happy never seeing Akiyama or the chases from 4 and 5 ever again. Just not a fan of either. Mack, though? Yeah. He's due for a return, big time.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If there's tailing like in Judge Eyes I am 100% out. Chasing is bad enough. Do the right thing, Sega.

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, people far more familiar with Family crests tthan I have freeze framed the Kiryu segment of the vid, and discovered some interesting stuff at approx 6:42 in this newest vid. It all points to some pretty huge plot spoilers if true, including one returning character for the Omi which has me beyond hyped. Potential plot spoilers:
Kiryu is in an Omi HQ (unknown if that's Sotenbori, Kamurocho or somewhere in Yokohama). Now after Kiryu smacks down the goons and poses the camera pans round and you see a series of blurry sillouttes - images taken from discord user Tiger:
unknown.png

Tall dude that looks like he's wearing a coat. Saejima most likely.

unknown.png

Most likely Majima - its worth pointing out that the piece of the video that does show both of these guts clearly has them in an Omi base as well, presumeably the same one.

Now the ones that haven't been shown yet:
unknown.png

Honestly I thought the white was more a scarf than a shirt at first, reminded me of deceased Omi/Tojo dude Terrada. But its probably Dummy Daigo Dojima, he was mentioned by Nagoshi after all.

unknown.png

Now a dude wearing a white suit. Since we know its not Kiryu, and they are in an Omi base, and Sera probably hasn't risen from the dead, this suggests they'll actually resolve a Yakuza 5 plot point - as to what was happening in the Omi's power struggle. Anyone remember this badass?
ykz5-masaru-watase.jpg

Watase was one of the people vying for control of the Omi, and it seems like he's a strong candidate for Omi King. Also, totally explains why he'd be attacking the Tojo one way or another, pretty much was his promise to Kiryu after all. Also, I really love the character, so any chance of them bringing him back would make me super happy. So who knows, is it him?

Anyway, makes me wonder what the plot here could be. And seeing as Ichiban and co. hadn't been shown in any parts of this trailer makes me think of two possibilities:

This is a flashback - its the fall of the Tojo Clan maybe? Doesn't explain the huge Omi crest, but would explain why everyone would be fighting. Doesn't quite explain why Kiryu would show up if he wanted out, but hey he tries to get out and they keep pulling him back in...

Or its a big attack on the Omi, with the pillars of the Tojo Clan attack the Omi head on.

Who knows, its fun to guess!

Do you feel the same for more Gears... more Assassin's Creed... More COD?
Well last I checked COD is still a FPS game and Gears is still a cover based TPS game so not exactly an amazing comparison there when Yakuza literally has completely changed how its combat works, which doesn't make it "more of the same" no matter how you try and phrase it, why do you think some people are disappointed with the game? They don't like the gameplay change and wanted normal brawling combat retained. Not to mention, Gears 5 pushed for open world sections and is apparently the best the series has been in years, I don't see what's wrong with getting more Gears in that case. I've not played it yet but once I get a next gen Xbox I'll definitely give it a shot. I don't play COD so aside from me seeing that its infact still a FPS game I can't say how much the actual mechanics behind the game has changed, I'd certainly not just say its the same as every other COD game previously without actually playing the game first, I just don't have the evidence to back that up.

As for Assassins Creed, they changed up the combat quite a bit from what I understand, not quite as much as Yakuza did, but Origins and Odyssey look pretty different compared to Syndicate (which was the last one I played). And again, seems people enjoy them, so I don't see what's wrong with that either. Am I supposed to be annoyed at devs making more sequels that play similar? I mean, my favourite game series ever is Mega Man, which is undoubtedly very samey from game to game especially in the NES era, and that's always been fine with me.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
So, people far more familiar with Family crests tthan I have freeze framed the Kiryu segment of the vid, and discovered some interesting stuff at approx 6:42 in this newest vid. It all points to some pretty huge plot spoilers if true, including one returning character for the Omi which has me beyond hyped. Potential plot spoilers:
Kiryu is in an Omi HQ (unknown if that's Sotenbori, Kamurocho or somewhere in Yokohama). Now after Kiryu smacks down the goons and poses the camera pans round and you see a series of blurry sillouttes - images taken from discord user Tiger:
unknown.png

Tall dude that looks like he's wearing a coat. Saejima most likely.

unknown.png

Most likely Majima - its worth pointing out that the piece of the video that does show both of these guts clearly has them in an Omi base as well, presumeably the same one.

Now the ones that haven't been shown yet:
unknown.png

Honestly I thought the white was more a scarf than a shirt at first, reminded me of deceased Omi/Tojo dude Terrada. But its probably Dummy Daigo Dojima, he was mentioned by Nagoshi after all.

unknown.png

Now a dude wearing a white suit. Since we know its not Kiryu, and they are in an Omi base, and Sera probably hasn't risen from the dead, this suggests they'll actually resolve a Yakuza 5 plot point - as to what was happening in the Omi's power struggle. Anyone remember this badass?
ykz5-masaru-watase.jpg

Watase was one of the people vying for control of the Omi, and it seems like he's a strong candidate for Omi King. Also, totally explains why he'd be attacking the Tojo one way or another, pretty much was his promise to Kiryu after all. Also, I really love the character, so any chance of them bringing him back would make me super happy. So who knows, is it him?

Anyway, makes me wonder what the plot here could be. And seeing as Ichiban and co. hadn't been shown in any parts of this trailer makes me think of two possibilities:

This is a flashback - its the fall of the Tojo Clan maybe? Doesn't explain the huge Omi crest, but would explain why everyone would be fighting. Doesn't quite explain why Kiryu would show up if he wanted out, but hey he tries to get out and they keep pulling him back in...

Or its a big attack on the Omi, with the pillars of the Tojo Clan attack the Omi head on.

Who knows, its fun to guess!

Oh yes please

Bring Chairman Watase back, he was to.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Well last I checked COD is still a FPS game and Gears is still a cover based TPS game so not exactly an amazing comparison there when Yakuza literally has completely changed how its combat works, which doesn't make it "more of the same" no matter how you try and phrase it, why do you think some people are disappointed with the game? They don't like the gameplay change and wanted normal brawling combat retained. Not to mention, Gears 5 pushed for open world sections and is apparently the best the series has been in years, I don't see what's wrong with getting more Gears in that case. I've not played it yet but once I get a next gen Xbox I'll definitely give it a shot. I don't play COD so aside from me seeing that its infact still a FPS game I can't say how much the actual mechanics behind the game has changed, I'd certainly not just say its the same as every other COD game previously without actually playing the game first, I just don't have the evidence to back that up.

Yakuza looks more of the same and the combat system as looked back to the past and gone for turn-based format.
I really think the team are running out ideas myself. But at least you're happy with the look of the new game. I wish like with AC the team just moved on something new now

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give Saejima a suit for the love of god!

Also am I the only one who don't like how Ichi runs? Looks stupid as hell and very Kingdom Heart ish. My hopes is when the next game brings back the brawling that they reflect that by giving him a much normal looking walking style.

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Give Saejima a suit for the love of god!

Also am I the only one who don't like how Ichi runs? Looks stupid as hell and very Kingdom Heart ish. My hopes is when the next game brings back the brawling that they reflect that by giving him a much normal looking walking style.
Shouldn't that be "if" ;)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't that be "if" ;)
You mean the part on the brawling? I am hoping it does return but we will see. In any case, the running animations look really weird and cartoonish in contrast to everything else. Hopefully they redo it next game.

That said, Am I the only who notices a change in Saejima and Majima's looks? They look younger weirdly enough but I might be imagining things.

OP
OP
shadowman16

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the part on the brawling? I am hoping it does return but we will see. In any case, the running animations look really weird and cartoonish in contrast to everything else. Hopefully they redo it next game.

That said, Am I the only who notices a change in Saejima and Majima's looks? They look younger weirdly enough but I might be imagining things.
I was just joking around. You made it sound like a switch back to old combat was certain, while I was saying "is it"? I don't really mind either way, I really like what I played in the demo so I already assume I'll love the full game.

Anyway, as to your youth point, your certainly not the only one, but here's the problem:
Thing is - where would the fight take place if not after 6? Saejima was in prison for most of the game timeline and only got his 5 look in... well Yakuza 5. But the second that game ends he and Kiryu are arrested. ANd then never seen side by side again.
Seems like they'd either need to rewrite 5 or 6 (or just ignore them completely) for this to be a flashback prior to 6's end
So yeah they look younger BUT they'd need to do some funky timeline juggling for the fight to make sense as something that occurs prior to the end of 6. Then again this is the same game that doesn't really have a problem with resurrection so who the heck knows what really happens. It really could all still be a fever dream of Ichibans.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just joking around. You made it sound like a switch back to old combat was certain, while I was saying "is it"? I don't really mind either way, I really like what I played in the demo so I already assume I'll love the full game.

Anyway, as to your youth point, your certainly not the only one, but here's the problem:
Thing is - where would the fight take place if not after 6? Saejima was in prison for most of the game timeline and only got his 5 look in... well Yakuza 5. But the second that game ends he and Kiryu are arrested. ANd then never seen side by side again.
Seems like they'd either need to rewrite 5 or 6 (or just ignore them completely) for this to be a flashback prior to 6's end
So yeah they look younger BUT they'd need to do some funky timeline juggling for the fight to make sense as something that occurs prior to the end of 6. Then again this is the same game that doesn't really have a problem with resurrection so who the heck knows what really happens. It really could all still be a fever dream of Ichibans.
It could also be another case of the characters looking younger for some reason. I mean just compare Majima in 3 and then 6 or hell, Kiryu in 3 to 6.

Both of them look younger and have younger looking faces. Saejima is the one that is weirding me out the most though, he looked as old as 5 in Yakuza 6 while here he looks younger along with Majima who looks even more younger than before.

The fever dream part is interesting. A theory I had related to this is Ichiban encountering "fake" Kiryu and due to his weird sense of reality, he sees the "fake" as the real Kiryu. But this theory is very shaky due to Majima and Saejima being in the Omi office or whatever Omi clan place they are fighting at.

Or as someone said before, the whole game is a weird dream that Ichiban is dreaming cause of the gunshot he got. The demo starts with him seeing "j rpg enemy transformations" after all.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Copy and pasted Judgement chases. Love the series but they reuse systems like no tomorrow