• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Her statements were not antisemitic. In fact any criticism of her is islamophobic and anti Muslim considering only she is being targeted for it for actually being nicer to another MN politician who is even more blatant and gets 0 coverage
I don't believe her first remark was intended as anti-Semitic but to cast anyone who took honest offense to it as being purely Islamophobic and anti-Muslim is ridiculous. My fiance is a liberal American Jew who thinks antisemitism fears in this country are generally overblown compared to Islamophobic threats posed against Muslim Americans...but even she cringed over "it's all about the Benjamins."

The umbrage taken over her second comment, though, was completely undeserved imo.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The Jewish individuals who don't feel it was antisemitic don't invalidate the Jewish individuals who did.

Also, stop saying Jews have weaponized antisemitism to attack Omar. That is extremely offensive.
Are you going to label me antisemitic for saying Jewish folks have also backed her and said she is not antisemitic and neither were her words ? Stop hiding behind your bigotry. I am not going to tip toe around legitimate criticism of Israeli policies when as a Muslim I am equally offended for targeting her unfairly. Every common sense person from all faiths have said she meant Israeli policy but you seem adamant she is not . Why

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I'd recommend generally not posting The Hill headlines as news, they are deliberate clickbait at best, often downright misleading without reading the original source.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Are you going to label me antisemitic for saying Jewish folks have also backed her and said she is not antisemitic and neither were her words ? Stop hiding behind your bigotry. Every common sense person from all faiths have said she meant Israeli policy but you seem adamant she is not . Why

No? People are free to feel however they want about what she said. But I will label you antisemitic if you keep calming that anyone who had issues with what she said is acting in bad faith and weren't really offended, that they were faking offense and claiming antisemitism in order to attack Omar.

You don't get to decide what is antisemitic. Stop trying to delegitimize Jewish voices you don't agree with by calming they're Islamophobic and sexist.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No? People are free to feel however they want about what she said,. But I will label you antisemitic if you keep calming that anyone who had issues with what she said is acting in bad faith and weren't really offended, that they were faking offense and clamming antisemitism in order to attack Omar.

You don't get to decide what is antisemitic. Stop trying to delegitimize Jewish voices you don't agree with by calming they're Islamophobic and sexist.

Thanks for proving my point

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for proving my point

???? I'm a person in the camp that doesn't believe her second comment was antisemitic. That doesn't make me antisemitic, and people who don't believe the first comment was problematic aren't antisemitic either.

What is antisemitic is trying to delegitimize Jewish voices who did find the comments offensive.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe her first remark was intended as anti-Semitic but to cast anyone who took honest offense to it as being purely Islamophobic and anti-Muslim is ridiculous. My fiance is a liberal American Jew who thinks antisemitism fears in this country are generally overblown compared to Islamophobic threats posed against Muslim Americans...but even she cringed over "it's all about the Benjamins."

The umbrage taken over her second comment, though, was completely undeserved imo.

the blatant misrepresentation of her second quote was disgusting

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone here knows what she said, something akin to the hope and change he promised was fake and murder is murder even if it comes with a nice smile .........

Im not going to play the semantics game, what she said came off as a diss against Obama and a Trump comparison to many in the AA community. I dont care if thats not what she meant, its how it came off and it was portrayed as such by the media as well. I as well as many others are not happy with her at all right now.
Where's the lie though in what she actually said? She also didn't say hope and change was fake by the way.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Naw most of her voting record is progressive. I'm not just gonna slap someone with a label because they are talking at a fucking conferance. AIPAC is not great but I aint disputing their right to exist and the democratic party would love to not need them as much as they do and pass some reforms but we aint in power so need some backing.

I've resigned myself that the Israel situation wont resolved until both leaderships change because the peace that was almost reached last time only stopped because the Israelian Prime Ministers sudden death and the moderate party of Palestine was uprooted for the more extremist friendly party and everything has devolved from that. Until Bibi is gone and his party loses power and Hamas either moderates itself or is thrown from power we will not get back to the peace deal from the 90's.
Pelosi has a history of pandering to a pro genocidal state, from her repeated attendance to that lobby, to her words when she keeps committing "unwavering" support to said genocidal state.
lets look at her recent actions when Omar brought up the conflict of interest with politicians and a certain the lobby, did she do the progressive thing and try expand the conversation to reduce said conflict of interest? Nope, instead she tried to silence Omar and joined in the dog piling.

All this while Palestinians in Gaza are stuck in the worlds largest uninhabitable open air prison while their West Bank brothers are evicted from their homes, all while more civilians are shot up in the border.

So where was "Progressive Queen" Pelosi?
Did she even bother reading the Isreal war crimes report from the UN?
No, she was too busy trying to silence the only one brave enough to speak up.

Last edited:

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
She may get a token challenger for the primary, but:

-She will get the backing of the DFL
-Her support in the district is still immense; she had more votes and a bigger margin than Keith Ellison ever did
-Some have suggested she could be a liability on a general election ballot, which in MN-05 is absurd
-MN voters, like most voters nationwide in either party, tend to stick with their elected representatives in the face of media controversy (see: Michele Bachmann, Steve King, Bob Menendez, etc.)

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
speaking as a Jew myself: whether or not the allegations of antisemitism were made in good faith or not matters much less than whether they were correct (they weren't) and what the effect of taking them at face value is (to protect the status quo around Israel, further marginalize already marginalized communities, and suppress criticism of a racist ethnostate)

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat, racism from inside the Democratic Party. I'm shocked!

I think they are trying to alienate us from the party sometimes. Fuck the GOP and the #blexit bullshit. If Dems lose black voters it will be because of their own racism rather than us voting for Republicans. We are smarter than that. Perhaps our own party, left-aligned but without the bullshit?

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Yes I can.
People are suffering.
These politicians are enablers of war crimes because they fear more for their jobs than for people's lives.
Instead of making a stand, they are throwing the only one willing to speak up under a bus.
They are cowards.

And no matter what Ihan says, it will be spun as anti semitism, the second comment was in no way shape or form in any way could be anti semitic, but look at how it was spun regardless.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Good luck with that, she's gained popularity as this has gone on. Corporate dems don't like her, the rest of us will donate and fight tooth and nail to keep her here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"Some Democrats are eyeing Bobby Joe Champion, a state senator who has served in the legislature for a decade. Others hope to entice Minneapolis City Councilwoman Andrea Jenkins, the first openly transgender African-American woman elected to public office in the United States."

Oh cool so Dems can have another diversity checkmark they use for magazine covers and speeches until she says something they don't like.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love how the fact that mere suggestions from "some state-level democrats" turns into an indictment of the Democratic party on this forum.

It's a big tent party, with moderates and progressives alike. Just because not every single member of the party agrees with you on everything is not grounds for dismissing or insulting the entire party.

If you want to join a group with monolithic views that are determined by extremists, be a Republican.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I love how the fact that mere suggestions from "some state-level democrats" turns into an indictment of the Democratic party on this forum.

It's a big tent party, with moderates and progressives alike. Just because not every single member of the party agrees with you on everything is not grounds for dismissing or insulting the entire party.

If you want to join a group with monolithic views that are determined by extremists, be a Republican.
Sorry should I have put an asterisk on my post that it's referring to all the dems who think she needs to be primaried or came out against her? Because it sure is the majority of the party's officials.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She hasn't been helpful. In the first two months of Democrats taking over the House she's gotten weeks worth of negative headlines that drowned out the party's opening message. When a politician wants to make an unpopular point, they need to weigh it against the harm it'll do to the party's national message and agenda, and do it in a way that's persuasive or at least won't invite condemnation from their own party. She didn't succeed at that and I have low confidence she'll do better in the future.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sorry should I have put an asterisk on my post that it's referring to all the dems who think she needs to be primaried or came out against her? Because it sure is the majority of the party's officials.

The majority of the party's officials want her to be primaried? Give me a break.

Obviously they're gonna criticize if she says something they think is antisemitic that generates horrible headlines. They would criticize anyone who said that. Not the same as wanting her primaried. The vast majority of officials probably don't give two shits about her one way or the other.

Also, the solution is not to despair over the reactions of party officials. The solution is to defend Omar in the primary and keep pushing the democratic party in the direction you want it to go.

I'm just so tired of all the defeatism I see here in any thread discussing the party. The party is what you make of it. Omar will easily fend off any primary challenger, and then what was the point of all the defeatism about what spooky "establishment Dems" secretly want?

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People responding with nonsense because of not reading the article should be a bannable offense.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
She hasn't been helpful. In the first two months of Democrats taking over the House she's gotten weeks worth of negative headlines that drowned out the party's opening message. When a politician wants to make an unpopular point, they need to weigh it against the harm it'll do to the party's national message and agenda, and do it in a way that's persuasive or at least won't invite condemnation from their own party. She didn't succeed at that and I have low confidence she'll do better in the future.
She got a lot of people to start talking about how shitty Israel is. If the party takes a hit because of that oh well.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The inherent flaw of a two party system becomes so evident during times like these. If saying the right thing gets you thrown under the bus then Democratic party ain't worth the votes. Guess 4 more years of Trump will set my esteemed american neighbours straight.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey, a bunch of Republicans just broke rank and voted against Trump's emergency declaration forcing the president to issue his first Veto... do we have any "Dems in disarray" stories we can run?"

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I don't expect every Democrat to do the right thing at all times, but man, fuck this party sometimes. I've been a fairly middle of the road liberal for a long time now but leaning towards Justice Democrats more every day.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
No? People are free to feel however they want about what she said. But I will label you antisemitic if you keep calming that anyone who had issues with what she said is acting in bad faith and weren't really offended, that they were faking offense and claiming antisemitism in order to attack Omar.

Very well said. Especially that last bit.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I wish you'd be as concerned about the plight of the Palestinian people as you are of the image of Democratic party.

This woman is facing a smear campaign for speaking up against a lobby that has most politicians in its pockets.

But no, protect the status quo instead to look good.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
"Hey, a bunch of Republicans just broke rank and voted against Trump's emergency declaration forcing the president to issue his first Veto... do we have any "Dems in disarray" stories we can run?"
Pretty much.

That said, I have no doubt that some establishment fucks are going to try and mount a primary challenge against her, AOC, and maybe a few of the other more outspokenly lefty people of the class of '18. And they'll probably all survive them!

In particular one of the things that the Omar discourse tends to forget is that her predecessor is Keith Ellison, another lefty Muslim who's been critical of Isreal. He just never tweeted about it- and is also a dude, and by extension also doesn't wear a headscarf so he's a less visible target for Islamophobes.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really, truly sucks that the Democrats are the only viable non-Republican party, because as an organization they're staggeringly incompetent. "At least we're not the GOP" is not enough anymore, and if they're going to rip one of their own to shreds over a comment they didn't even understand, then they're no good to any of us.

I feel truly sorry that you guys have to suffer fro such a shitty electoral system. An issue that could be solved within hours but will never be fixed as it is beneficial to those in power - that is, both the Democrats and the republicans, whatever the case may be at any given time

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Pretty much.

That said, I have no doubt that some establishment fucks are going to try and mount a primary challenge against her, AOC, and maybe a few of the other more outspokenly lefty people of the class of '18. And they'll probably all survive them!

In particular one of the things that the Omar discourse tends to forget is that her predecessor is Keith Ellison, another lefty Muslim who's been critical of Isreal. He just never tweeted about it- and is also a dude, and by extension also doesn't wear a headscarf so he's a less visible target for Islamophobes.
Not only that, his faith and alleged ties to NoI/Farrakhan/anti-Semitic views were an issue in his first DFL primary for that seat. He survived and could have held the seat for as long as he wanted. Omar isn't in danger unless she does something much, much worse than occasionally presenting commonplace lefty criticisms of AIPAC and evangelical support for Israel.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Not only that, his faith and alleged ties to NoI/Farrakhan/anti-Semitic views were an issue in his first DFL primary for that seat. He survived and could have held the seat for as long as he wanted. Omar isn't in danger unless she does something much, much worse than occasionally presenting commonplace lefty criticisms of AIPAC and evangelical support for Israel.

Exactly. Ellison vehemently denounced NOI and Farrakhan and his criticisms of Israel don't rely on ancient stereotypes and dogwhistles about Jews. Omar will be fine.