Some Xbox One X Consoles Dying After A Few Hours

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Psychotron, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Psychotron

Psychotron Member Original Poster

I want to get out of the way that there is currently no evidence of a widespread issue, but that some members here and on reddit have reported the same problem. Console powers on for a while, they turn it off. They turn it back on a while later and it’s dead. I would like to see if there’s a common link such as console position, whether it’s wall plugged or surge protector, etc. See the stories below and others feel free to share as well.

Again, this thread is here only to save some Era members the heartbreak of a dead console over something as simple (possibly) as where it’s plugged in. THIS IS NOT A WIDESPREAD ISSUE (at present) NOR SHOULD WE ASSUME.

Update: I’ve been using my Scorpio all night with no issue. Gears in 4K HDR is jaw dropping, as is the 1080/60 mode.

Update 11/9/17: Some people have reported that switching the power cord has fixed their console. It's not working for everyone but it's definitely worth a shot. See the link below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/7bu1c9/tech_a_solution_to_the_spontaneously_dying_xbox/

2. Ibuki

Ibuki Member

Electronics have defective units? Color me shocked.

3. 60EffPeeEss

60EffPeeEss Member

All hardware has a failure rate, so gonna need to give it a bit to pan out before news gets made out of it.

4. R dott B

R dott B Member

Hmm...That's strange.

5. Pif

Pif Member

What would this be called?

Red Ring of Death is quite hard to beat tbh

6. Doctor_Thomas

Doctor_Thomas Member

Pretty much this.

I think Microsoft learned harsh, harsh lessons about this that I doubt they'd repeat. If there's defective units, they'll crop up. Best not to panic, it'll be replaced.

7. tumour_love

tumour_love Member

also skate 3 doesnt run very well. possibly deserves a thread as well.

8. TheBeardedOne

TheBeardedOne Member

Hopefully it's just a regular failure rate type of thing, and those who've been affected will have no problem getting replacement Scorpios. I hope they won't have any more issues.

9. bananafactory

bananafactory Member

Not to diminish how much this sucks for the owners but faulty electronics arent new. PS4 launch had a lot of duds as did XB1 and increased visibility of social media can make it seem worse

I believe 5% is an acceptable failure rate so with 1 million owners you could still be looking at 50 000 faulty units.

Microsoft has a pretty good support system so hopefully those affected are taken care of.

10. Mullet2000

Mullet2000 Member

That really sucks for the individual users, but it could happen to any piece of electronics

11. Expy

Expy Member

Some deffective units are expected, but there can't be that many of these devices out there yet, but from what you said there are a few reported cases of the same behavior... strange.

12. AAMARMO

AAMARMO Member

That much power could not be contained in such a tiny box.

14. X1 Two

X1 Two Member

Wonder if those affected used the One S power cable or the one that comes with One X.

15. Mbolibombo

Mbolibombo Member

We're probably going to see the doom and gloomers coming right out. Just like for the Switch earlier this year with the "flood waves of faults" and the bricked PS4s before that etc etc..

There are going to be faulty units. It's going to happen to some people.. sadly. But that's how it is.

16. TheBeardedOne

TheBeardedOne Member

They're supposed to be the same.

17. TAJ

TAJ Member

That still haunts me. My launch 360 died more times than Jason Voorhees.

18. Bjones

Bjones Member

FYI don’t plug it into a surge protector. It has a built in surge protector like the Xbox s.

My Xbox s wouldn’t power on the other day because of this and i had to unplug it and let it sit a min to reset the internal power supply.

Not saying that’s the situation here but it may help some people.

19. Kill3r7

Kill3r7 Member

I will never forget getting home only to find out my PS2 was a dud. My brother and I had to wait until January to get a replacement.

20. tolkir

tolkir Member

Crowbcat video with +10 millions of views is coming.

21. Mondy

Mondy Member

• User was banned (24hr): Stop drive by posting in threads
    Red Ring of Death MK2. Microsoft really can't make quality hardware worth shit

22. Morgan J

Morgan J Member

mine died :( I bought It from an swedish online store where kids are the support team. And they have closed down the chat so I can Only mail them. suuucks!

Thinking of sending it to MS instead(already talked to them they said its ok and are sorry for my situation)

23. ApeX

ApeX Member

I dont own a one S, so I used the one that came with the One X.

24. Theorry

Theorry Member

Jesus..

My PS4 Pro died on me trying to play UC4 day 1. After I dicked around with it for 2 hours I returned it and got a replacement. No big deal I say, but it is annoying as heck. I'm patiently waiting for UPS now and hoping I don't have to go through similar fuckery.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Bear

Bear Member

Sooo... one guy had this problem?

27. k0decraft

k0decraft Member

Might be, I'm wondering if they should have kept the power brick. It might not be 'sexy' but it wouldn't have the unit so crammed.

28. Yung Coconut

Yung Coconut Member

Sucks for this guy, but it's also not like the Xbox One X is some miracle piece of hardware that won't have a single defective unit come off the line. I'm sure a few people will be unlucky. Hopefully I'm not one of them.

29. Hesemonni

Hesemonni Member

A bit early for that?

30. Keikaku

Keikaku Member

Anyone try the towel trick yet?

31. Emka

Emka Member

32. Kasey

Kasey Member

Sucks for you seeing how excited you were for the upgrade. They've patched away performance issues in BC in the past so there's that to look forward to.

33. Theorry

Theorry Member

So surge thing?

No one man should have all that power.

/s I’m so sorry lol I had to.

Sucks for day one fans. Every launch has its duds.

35. Polioliolio

Polioliolio Member

The more complicated these machines get, and the cheaper they produce them, the more likely this is to happen.

After 2 ps3s died, I had enough of that. If my ps4 dies, I'm not buying another. I want to get a switch sometime soon, but if these things don't hold out for several years, I'm not buying another if it goes belly up.

How are switches holding up by the way?

"If you write it, they will come"

37. ChillSpencer

ChillSpencer Banned Member

For their sake, I hope that Xbox One X early adopters like games developed by Remedy...

.. more specifically: Quantum Break

I don't know how the RRoD began, which Xbox was Xbox Zero and what not, but I think it was much, much, much more widespread than this. So it's probably nothing. MS put a lot of care in developing Xbox after 360. They have a great track record and I don't think this Xbox should be different

38. Mondy

Mondy Member

Exactly. Gifs are all good but sound it out in words and it may as well be the front page of a newspaper

Every piece of electronic has a small chance of failure no matter the make/hardware. Maybe it is to do with surge protection or something.
    As long as it just stays in the minority then it shouldn't be an issue.

40. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Amazing feat of engineering.

41. ScopehJ

ScopehJ Member

I doubt Microsoft would allow a Red Ring of death v2...this is probably a small isolated problem with a few units maybe. However if its not and more people start reporting issues ...god damn its gonna get rough

42. Yung Coconut

Yung Coconut Member

Xbox One X has a surge protector built in,. If he has it plugged into another one they might not be playing nice together? Especially if it's a cheap one. Shrug.

43. Salty Rice

Salty Rice Member

Hope for Microsoft this isnt gonna be a widespread problem or its gonna be a nightmare for them.

44. Yung Coconut

Yung Coconut Member

Amazing feat of drive-by shit posting.

lol come on people.

45. Shao Kahn

Shao Kahn Member

I miss the good old "My *Console* has died and I'm trying to cope" threads.

Stay strong, amigos.

46. Derrick01

Derrick01 Member

It's a little premature to be saying that.

My launch day PS4 had a broken disc drive within 30 minutes of using it. Why can't Sony make better hardware?

47. ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX Sleeping Dragon Administrator

This happens at the launch of every single console.

Wait for a couple of weeks to see if this is widespread.

48. jelly

jelly Member

49. TripleBee

TripleBee Member

Failure rate is all that matters. Anecdotal experiences are worth less then nothing (especially considering half of them are probably fake on top of it).

50. Boots The God

Boots The God Member

Some shitting the bucket is expected with new hardware. Just hope it doesn't get out of hand