Some Xbox One X Consoles Dying After A Few Hours

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Psychotron, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Yung Coconut

Yung Coconut Member

No dude, it's over. It's already happened to a single person. Red Ring of Death Part Deux.

2. Regret

Regret Member

Isn't this normal for every console?

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Member

Remember the grinding disc drives on Day 1 Xbox Ones? The internet made it a bigger deal than it turned out to be. Stuff like this happens with new hardware.

More than likely just defective units. Doubt this is widespread.

holy shit that's a hilarious post.

5. AegonSnake

AegonSnake Member

Exactly. The Pro had that faulty exhaust fan issue that got several of videos on youtube and threads on gaf and reddit, but in the end, it turned out to be a small percentage of overall units.

6. Psychotron

Psychotron Member Original Poster

I tried to tell everyone I’m not hitting the panic button, just trying to head off issues before they happen. I’ll have my console in a few hours and if I can avoid a common thread between the members here, I’d like to do it. However, the shit posting has already started, so by all means lock it if people can’t be mature.

7. Jom

Jom Member

There's never been a piece of Electronics that has had a zero defective rate. It's just that social media amplifies news of it now. I'm certain this is a non-issue.

8. ApeX

ApeX Member

I wasn't using a surge protector.

9. christocolus

christocolus Member

yup...also thanks, to Taco Bell some lucky gamers have had theirs for a few days now and also journalists got theirs about a week ago now..wouldn't we have heard something if this was a widespread issue?

10. Theorry

Theorry Member

Ah my bad. But it works now again?

11. ManaByte

ManaByte Member

That's a good point. There were a decent number being used for over a week.

I remember at the Xbox One launch even some journalists had the grinding disc drives.

12. Benji

Benji Member

Not surprising at all it's new hardware. My launch PS4 died in less than 48 hours.

Hopefully this isn't anything widespread

13. Freddo

Freddo Member

I'm not the least surprised. All that power and heat crammed into a relatively small box with little airflow. After the whole RROD/YLOD thing a decade ago and considering what a vacuum cleaner my fat PS3 was, I decided I would never buy a >100W console again, preferably only <50W machines, but, eh, the only <50W machines we had since then are the Wii and Wii U. And I did buy a PS4 Slim a year ago, which is so cool, whisper quiet and stable.

14. ApeX

ApeX Member

Nope, still dead last time I tried.

I tried leaving it unplugged for a while before plugging it back in, but that didn't work. Also tried changing outlets, but that didn't work either.

15. Yung Coconut

Yung Coconut Member

Have any external drives plugged in or anything? Cable box, Kinect, controllers, antenna etc. If so, unplug everything that isn't required and try again.

16. bionic77

bionic77 Member

Thats the price of being an early adopter. I doubt it has anything to do with any real defect of the system.

This will probably go away by next year.

17. AAMARMO

AAMARMO Member

Are these Project Scorpio units?

18. Edge

Edge Community Resettler Member

My Scorpio controller has huge gabs on the horns and that looks pretty cheap and not normal, someone here said it shouldn't be like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But at least the console works. (I'm scared to turn it off for the first time)

19. Morgan J

Morgan J Member

regular for me. I think its a small batch that is faulty and not widespread.

20. ApeX

ApeX Member

Had an external HDD plugged in, but unplugged that as well and didn't plug it back in.

21. ApeX

ApeX Member

Mine's a regular one.

22. InsaneTiger

InsaneTiger Member

I'm sorry, I laughed when I read that, forgot about that line.

Anyway, hope not many are affected by this and those that are can get replacements soon.

23. psynergyadept

psynergyadept Member

this, it sucks to literally be that one in a million who gets a defective unit but it's not like it's another RROD situation.

24. Jom

Jom Member

It's not going to be widespread. These devices are test run for thousands and thousands of hours. The only thing that could happen is like the RROD where testing doesn't catch it because it took a much longer time for the issues to pop up.

25. christocolus

christocolus Member

How did you come to this conclusion? Many Journalist and some lucky gamers have had theirs for about a week now without issues.

26. Jom

Jom Member

This thing has a vapor chamber. Heat is not going to be an issue whatsoever.

This scared me, so i just turned my Xbox One X down for 10 minutes and boot it up again.
    Gladly it's still working.

Sucks for anyone who is not in the same boat, tho.
    Go and get your replacement form the retailer or have it fixed by Microsoft.
    Lets hope the problem is super rare and not widespread.

28. ronaldthump

ronaldthump Member

The new RROD is the first thing I thought of.

29. FSmallhands

FSmallhands Member

I feel for those with defects in the first days.

I had 5 (!) 360 RROD

30. bionic77

bionic77 Member

Nope. This is the first time a new piece of electronic hardware failed early adopters.

In reality I think this is par for the course of any new release. Been that way every since antennae gate with the iPhone 4. Not going to change any time soon.

31. ManaByte

ManaByte Member

At least they aren't exploding like the Note 7.

32. sirap

sirap Member

This thread has got me shook. My XBX is currently being shipped to Malaysia. If anything happens to that unit I'm fucked.

33. mindsale

mindsale Member

I picked one up today, played a ton of Assassin's Creed. Works like a dream - BUT - my Samsung 7000 series wouldn't recognize the HDMI with the XOneX for like thirty minutes. I had to turn everything on and off and reorder HDMI's, eventually it just caught it. I was worried the thing was bricked or something.

34. Novel Mike

Novel Mike Member

As someone who worked retailed for a long time yeah it happens. 5% failure rate or something like that. It happens with new console launches specifically because so many of them end up being sold at one time. Had similar things happen with the PS4 and XB1 original. Hell my manager at the time (Gamestop) had the free PS4 she got from Sony busted due to the HDMI port being screwed up which was one of the problems with that system at launch.

35. Vagabond

Vagabond Member

This is nothing like the RRoD situation. There were reports coming in even before the damn 360 launch. It was horrifying.

36. Psychotron

This happened to me with my Apple TV 4K. Odd thing is that it would only not work on one specific port. All others were fine. I did a factory reset and it worked again. Handshake issues suck, lol.

37. BBQ_of_DOOM

BBQ_of_DOOM Member

I have an X sitting in my car waiting for me and this thread is easily the worst thing I could have read.

Welp.

38. mindsale

mindsale Member

Yeeesh. I feel you.

39. Lakeside

Lakeside Member

My launch day PS1 died within 24 hours. My launch day Xbox cut rings in all of my disks right out of the box, including DVDs we played. I was so snake bitten by those that I'd order 2 of every launch console for a while.

Oddly my launch day Xbox 360 lasted forever. Shit happens.. flying solo on this one.

40. Stewarto

Stewarto Member

It’ll be fine man

41. ManaByte

ManaByte Member

Yea I remember the HDMI thing. I was super careful plugging mine in.

42. Psychotron

Don’t let it bother you. It’s still extremely limited. I just want to know if there’s things we can do to prevent an issue, like the surge protector thing. I never knew you weren’t supposed to use one.

43. gcwy

gcwy Member

Pretty sure similar threads were made with Pro and Switch launch. Hope it's not widespread.

Wow. How bad was the YLoD compared to it?

44. hibikase

hibikase Member

Not really news. That can happen to any complex piece of electronics.

I bought my PS4 six months after release and it was DOA.

45. BBQ_of_DOOM

BBQ_of_DOOM Member

Which is a good call, IMO.

I did that surge protector dance with the One S, and my plan here is to literally swap box for box. Hoping for good juju with that.

46. mechaloaf

mechaloaf Member

This is really not what Microsoft needs right now. PS4 is already dominating and now this? I remember tear downs of the Xbox one showed they put in a massive heat sink, much bigger then it needs to be just to prevent another red ring scenario. Sucks for them.

When I went to gamestop to pick up my X someone was bringing there X back cause it wouldn't recognize the hdmi or something like that. Mine has been almost perfect so far. Won't load gears 4 for some reason

48. Novel Mike

Novel Mike Member

When she told me over the phone at the time I legit had to put the phone down for a second and laugh because every ASM I knew was super jealous of the managers getting free systems at launch but she had to wait like 2 weeks for a replacement to come in XD She was very unhappy.

49. BBQ_of_DOOM

BBQ_of_DOOM Member

There was a closed box return at the Best Buy I tried before I went to Target. Sales associate wouldn't disclose the reason, but closed box is usually a "buyer's remorse" thing, right?

50. Seik

Seik Member

New hardware have some failed units, news at 11.

Now watch Crowbcat make a video compilation and console warriors sharing it on Facebook clamoring how shit Xbox is. Just like with the Switch. :lol

War hasn't changed.