• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed that the first reply wasn't "well, of course. no one man should have all that power".

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Xbox One X in a country where the Xbox One X has not been released then you are SOL.

If someone (family) in the US purchased the console for him, they could certainly RMA it as well. I'm in the USA and was able to get Cave to do warranty work on arcade PCBs. If that sort of magic is possible, anything is.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
If someone (family) in the US purchased the console for him, they could certainly RMA it as well. I'm in the USA and was able to get Cave to do warranty work on arcade PCBs. If that sort of magic is possible, anything is.

Congrats on getting some warranty work. Just because you have another unrelated product doesn't mean that Microsoft will do that.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on getting some warranty work. Just because you have another unrelated product doesn't mean that Microsoft will do that.

Dude, read what I wrote.

He had someone else buy a console in another country. No, they won't warranty it for him but they have to warranty it for the original buyer. Is it more cumbersome? Sure. But it's totally doable. My point was that there is no zero recourse case unless the people who helped him won't help him, but it seems there's a precedent there. And we're talking about an unlikely circumstance to begin with.

My anecdote was that I was able to get out of country warranty work accomplished by using a proxy. He'll be able to do the same, so no.. he's not SOL.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Dude, read what I wrote.

He had someone else buy a console in another country. No, they won't warranty it for him but they have to warranty it for the original buyer. Is it more cumbersome? Sure. But it's totally doable. My point was that there is no zero recourse case unless the people who helped him won't help him, but it seems there's a precedent there. And we're talking about an unlikely circumstance to begin with.

My anecdote was that I was able to get out of country warranty work accomplished by using a proxy. He'll be able to do the same, so no.. he's not SOL.

Sure if he's in a non-launch country he could ship it to someone, on his dime, in a launch country and then that person could send it in for repair and then they could ship it back to him, on their dime (or his if he reimbursed them). That isn't really practical. I suppose you could say he could get on a plane with his console and fly back to America, stay in a hotel, wait for the exchange process then fly back home too.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Sure if he's in a non-launch country he could ship it to someone, on his dime, in a launch country and then that person could send it in for repair and then they could ship it back to him, on their dime (or his if he reimbursed them). That isn't really practical. I suppose you could say he could get on a plane with his console and fly back to America, stay in a hotel, wait for the exchange process then fly back home too.
I thought his was a good idea, and the better plan. That's the kind of hassle you have to expect when importing anything.

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just going to post my findings, and may this be the end of the thread:

1) Initial Xbox One X - had a few times it powered down randomly | 2) replaced power cord | 3) Works like a charm
2) Subsequent Xbox One X - one of the rubber feet came off......not a biggie....

This is a really cool console, IMO...just a minor thing

Oct 27, 2017
Had it fall over and not wake up from sleep last night, pulled the power cord and let it sit for 30 seconds and it was fine.

However, it takes two attempts to start up usually.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
My Xbox One X died today.

I used it this morning no problem, went to turn it on this afternoon and it won't turn on at all. Argos are replacing it today so it's not a big deal, I'm just slightly pissed off that I'll have to download all of my games again.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
So my X refused to start again. This is the third time it's happened. I can still get it to start with TastyBurger666's method, but this is worrying.

I'm one of those SOL dudes who live in countries without Microsoft Xbox support. Not sure what I should do now...I think I'll just let it sit and wait if this thing becomes a bigger issue :/

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
So this surge protector thing is legit? I've got mine plugged into one and have had no issues so far, and the way I have things setup, I can't plug it directly into a wall outlet.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So between the fan that gets pretty damn loud during certain games, the 'whoosh' of super loud fan every once in a while, and the 'sagging' back of the console that is not raised up...

I think I am going to exchange this one with Gamestop and hope the next one doesn't have any of these issues.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
So my X refused to start again. This is the third time it's happened. I can still get it to start with TastyBurger666's method, but this is worrying.

I'm one of those SOL dudes who live in countries without Microsoft Xbox support. Not sure what I should do now...I think I'll just let it sit and wait if this thing becomes a bigger issue :/

Sorry to hear. Best of luck with finding a solution.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
So between the fan that gets pretty damn loud during certain games, the 'whoosh' of super loud fan every once in a while, and the 'sagging' back of the console that is not raised up...

I think I am going to exchange this one with Gamestop and hope the next one doesn't have any of these issues.
Sagging back?

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Look at the back of your console under the ports. The back of my console is "curved" or sagging and sitting on my table. The rubber feet aren't elevating it in the back
I think everyones is like that.
I remember mine having a bit of a curve in the back, looks like a design decision tbh
Unless yours is worse than other peoples?

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well if others is like that, (design decision) than maybe that's just how it's supposed to be? I just assumed it wasn't.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So MS official recommendation is to not plug it into a surge protector. Was this known before launch? Because I don't remember this.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So MS official recommendation is to not plug it into a surge protector. Was this known before launch? Because I don't remember this.

This has been a thing since all the way back to the 360 and infact back then there were a couple of discussions that this "protecters hindering power draw" was the cause of rrod. As far as the One's concerned they've said it since the OG has launched.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been a thing since all the way back to the 360 and infact back then there were a couple of discussions that this "protecters hindering power draw" was the cause of rrod. As far as the One's concerned they've said it since the OG has launched.
I had no idea. Seems like something the company should reiterate because surge protectors are pretty common. Good to know, thanks.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Mine is still going strong, thankfully. Had one strange issue after exiting Homefront where the dash showed up but was frozen. I could hear movement and button presses but the screen remained frozen. A reboot helped.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
So this surge protector thing is legit? I've got mine plugged into one and have had no issues so far, and the way I have things setup, I can't plug it directly into a wall outlet.

Same here.

I've probably put 30 hours on it already with no issues, but if it helps prevent any troubleshoot I could probably reconfigure what I have plugged in and where.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Just my opinion, but I figure the surge protector thing is similar to ISPs telling you not to use a router, but to plug directly into the PC. You don't hear that as much now due to wireless devices, but it was always a thing. It just eliminates a variable out of their control.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The only real issue I've had with the X is with various media apps shitting the bed for seemingly no reason. The number of times the Youtube app in particular has, in the middle of watching a video, just froze and then crashed to dashboard is alarmingly high. The fact that you can't send error reports like you can on PS4 is really annoying. I have no idea how helpful those error reports actually are but filling out those reports and sending them at the very least makes me feel good. lol

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Just my opinion, but I figure the surge protector thing is similar to ISPs telling you not to use a router, but to plug directly into the PC. You don't hear that as much now due to wireless devices, but it was always a thing. It just eliminates a variable out of their control.

Basically. There's nothing special about an Xbox that precludes it from being plugged into a surge protector.

actthafool

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the same kind of stories at the PS4s launch. That turned out to be a storm in a teacup. I think statements were issue along the lines of less than 1% were effected. Way below the failure rate for most electronics.

This is probably a similar thing. Gamers scream the loudest when something is wrong.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Well if others is like that, (design decision) than maybe that's just how it's supposed to be? I just assumed it wasn't.
I think so, just cause on launch day someone here mentioned the same thing so i checked mine too and there was a bit of a bend on the bottom that looks like the sag id imagine youre describing.
In regards to the noise levels, in my console it varies. On assassins creed origins there is a hum but its not as bad as something like OG360 or something, but most of the time like during undemanding games its quiet.
Maybe Im unlucky and dont have the whisper quiet console a lot if people claim to have but it makes sense if youre playing something graphically intensive youre going to hear some cooling going on.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Surely they are talking about low price surge protectors right? I cant see how plugging a console into a surge protector is a bad thing?

Can someone with a better understanding explain?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Scorpio seems to have shit the bed. No signal with different hdmi cables, inputs on the tv, hard reset, nothing :(

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm starting to think that there might be a manufacturing fault somewhere as it seems like there's been quite a few Xbox One X's dying including mine.

I know people who've had faults shout the loudest but this still doesn't seem normal to me.

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
Surely they are talking about low price surge protectors right? I cant see how plugging a console into a surge protector is a bad thing?

Can someone with a better understanding explain?

It was just a deflection statement so people who had overloaded old powerbars filled beyond max couldn't come back and sue them blaming the Xbox when their house burns down lol.

They've since retracted that statement since it has zero relevance to anything and power bars or surge protectors in no way would bring the items connected to them below voltage and amperage thresholds to actually cause problems. It was just the internet doing some typical fearmongering lol

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
fingers crossed I've had mine for just over two week and no issues (only be playing a fair bit of WWII and a blurays so far). Fan doesn't seem to doing anything OTT. Its not plugged into the surg protector board atm but an ordinary power board.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think that there might be a manufacturing fault somewhere as it seems like there's been quite a few Xbox One X's dying including mine.

I know people who've had faults shout the loudest but this still doesn't seem normal to me.

Does it seem like more scorpios than regulars are fucked? I'm thinking I'm going to replace my dead Scorpio with a regular one.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
It was just a deflection statement so people who had overloaded old powerbars filled beyond max couldn't come back and sue them blaming the Xbox when their house burns down lol.

They've since retracted that statement since it has zero relevance to anything and power bars or surge protectors in no way would bring the items connected to them below voltage and amperage thresholds to actually cause problems. It was just the internet doing some typical fearmongering lol

Haha I think you are right lol :)

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Ok something is really wrong here. Got new unit directly from MS repair on Tuesday. Played on Tuesday night for a few hours and turned off (full shutdown). Played yesterday and turned off. (Full shutdown)

Today I decided to download and update some games so left it on for an hour then put it into stand by mode. Left it completly fine, come back just now about 6 hours later and as with the past 2 other systems the video signal has been lost. All resets as usual and nothing. I asked MS when I sent the second unit in what caused the issue but they wouldn't tell me.

And as with the other two this one can also stream through the Xbox app on Windows and it works so again the HDMI port will NOT send a signal to the TV. I'm getting sick of this now, it's been like 4 weeks of wasting time with no results.

As with the others, plugged into the wall. Tried different HDMI, power, TVs and all the same.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ok something is really wrong here. Got new unit directly from MS repair on Tuesday. Played on Tuesday night for a few hours and turned off (full shutdown). Played yesterday and turned off. (Full shutdown)

Today I decided to download and update some games so left it on for an hour then put it into stand by mode. Left it completly fine, come back just now about 6 hours later and as with the past 2 other systems the video signal has been lost. All resets as usual and nothing. I asked MS when I sent the second unit in what caused the issue but they wouldn't tell me.

And as with the other two this one can also stream through the Xbox app on Windows and it works so again the HDMI port will NOT send a signal to the TV. I'm getting sick of this now, it's been like 4 weeks of wasting time with no results.

As with the others, plugged into the wall. Tried different HDMI, power, TVs and all the same.

Sounds like you have atrocious luck. I am sorry about that.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Ok the video signal has literally just popped up on the TV after being about 10 minutes on. This is some weird ass HDMI/HDCP issue.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Odd question, but you aren't going through a receiver or anything are you?

Nope directly to the TV.

After 3-4 units, I'm gonna reckon it's less to do with the X and likely more to do with the TV? I dunno, this defies Occam's razor?

For this unit I used a new TV which has never been connected to the other units. There is only one other possiblity which could be causing this and thats the external HDD yet my Xbox One and S have never had this issue with it connected.

I'm speaking with MS support now and they are trying to see if the engineer has left any notes from the repair.