• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
What would this be called?

Red Ring of Death is quite hard to beat tbh
Red Ring of Death occured after intense use, this seems to happen to day one (10 hour used) products. Shouldnt this have bern detected and fixed during test periods?

I mean 3 hours test run isnt long..

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Ring of Death occured after intense use, this seems to happen to day one (10 hour used) products. Shouldnt this have bern detected and fixed during test periods?

I've been playing for less than 30 minutes. Had it on for about 3 hours, but that was mostly patching and downloading.

Oct 28, 2017
My 360 lasted a couple of months in 2007. One day it started displaying this bright green in certain parts of games and anime I'd be watching. The green got worse and worse over time. I found out if I press the center of the console the green went away.

Sadly it wasn't much longer and finally the dreaded 3 rings lit up and it was gone forever. I loved that console. Blue dragon, beautiful katamari, eternal sonata, halo 3, condemned and many others.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any of these black screen issues, but I've experienced hard locks in the past couple of hours. Games will just freeze and I have to restart the system. Happened when I was playing Halo 5, Skate 3, and Cuphead.

Not sure if I should be concerned

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching the Gamers Nexus teardown of the XboneX and they commented that the TIM on the APU reminded them of the kind of cheap, ineffective TIM Intel's been using recently so I have to wonder if that's playing a part in these consoles dying.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the CrowbCat vid that paints the entire launch as a total disaster.

/s

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Witness

It seems the One X has some sort of Trouble with external Harddrives. I pluged in my 2tb Seagate Gamedrive that was tanked with 10 Games and my Profile directly when i set up my xbox. Xbox showed all my games but everytime i tried starting any game or app i just got an error code. Even reseting factory didnt help. I had to unplug the external an download everything to the internal. The whole system also has freezing aswell or just doesnt except any input anymore as if it was calling to microsoft servers that arent responding or something. Realy strange.

Misterxmedia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moscow
There is absolutely no way to know what percentage of units have defects right now. It could very well be within the industry standard.

Well thats percentage from my analisys. On my forum we have faults too already and compared to number of users who bought it in my community - its 5%(even higher TBH). On a possitive side it could be only Scorpio editions.

PLus all bad stories begins like this.

Normal faults rates are quiet on the net. This one is not already

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
My 360 lasted a couple of months in 2007. One day it started displaying this bright green in certain parts of games and anime I'd be watching. The green got worse and worse over time. I found out if I press the center of the console the green went away.

Sadly it wasn't much longer and finally the dreaded 3 rings lit up and it was gone forever. I loved that console. Blue dragon, beautiful katamari, eternal sonata, halo 3, condemned and many others.

Weren't you still good though with the 3 year warranty they gave everyone. I got 4 or 5 replacements in the end.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard "don't plug your consoles into surge protectors, they have them built in" for years, but I'm sorry, I'm not plugging my $500 piece of hardware directly into the wall. Not like I can anyways, not enough outlets.

I never understood this either. in what bizzaro world do people live in where they have 5+ outlets on the wall behind their entertainment centers?

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
I have had no failures but my friends day one Xbox One failed a few hours after he got it, then the next one the controller broke.

My cousin got a PS4 and it didn't last a week.

It sucks but there is always a hardware failure here and there.
I remember the PS4 launch people where saying it was the models made in China that more often than not had the problems while the ones made in Japan were fine.

Is there anything like that here, like a certain serial number code etc that may help people know what to look for

Misterxmedia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moscow
More investigation from the net. Some USB troubles. That could be fixed by software i guess.

Jazzuri:
Oh well looks like my front USB is broke...
my new xbox one x keeps telling me the external drive is found, every couple of minutes, seconds or whenever it shits itself.

so it basically kicks you out of whatever your doing...over and over and over again.

tried a second drive and it doesn't have the same problem, it will instead take ages to transfer data to or from it.

plugged both drives into either of the back usb ports and everything works as it should.

tried getting onto microsoft support, both online and call support are down and having problems...

pretty dissapointing thus far...but at least I can still use the back ports for now.
hopefully they dont try and swap my scorpio edition for one that isn't.

anyone else experience anything similar?

G-Force :
I have had a 'kinda' the same issue but with the back ports and 'one' particular HDD. Even on my old Xbox One I would notice that when the xbox would do an update (I was on the preview program thing) I would have to unplug and re plug the HDD into the original Xbox One.

Now I have noticed maybe the similar thing with the Xbox One X (My Scorpio one also), however now seems to be working fine.

I turned off the option "When Xbox is off, turn off HDD" I think my HDD (it is a raid enclosure with 2x4TB in a RAID 0 Setup) might not have a 'sleep function as such'

I will be experimenting with it more tonight.

and my other Xbox One X that I have has had not an issue, though not as much plugged into that one.

I had to re-enroll into the preview program as I noticed the dashboard on the xbox one X looked 'older' than on my Xbox One, so that too might have something to do with it and it updated yesterday to look the same as my xbox one previously and it has been working so I will keep you guys posted.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well thats percentage from my analisys. On my forum we have faults too already and compared to number of users who bought it in my community - its 5%(even higher TBH). On a possitive side it could be only Scorpio edition.

They're not quiet, crowbcat makes money every console launch with a dumb video showing how the launch units are broken.

All bad stories begin like this, sure. But so do all console launches.

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I would probably say that it is software rather than hardware. My first 24hrs were aweful, but I noticed a few things and corrected them:

- NAT plays an important role here, even if you are not playing online. You might stumble in a lot of license issues because of it and might corrupt the software and system

- if that happens, do a full reset and do not import and data from your old xbone

Oct 28, 2017
Weren't you still good though with the 3 year warranty they gave everyone. I got 4 or 5 replacements in the end.

I'm not sure. This was before they started the extra warranty and I was young. I decided to just throw it in the garbage and went out and bought a ps3 with heavenly sword.

Back then rrod was in the news constantly and I was scared of getting another faulty unit. My brothers launch unit from 05 started acting up as soon as we started playing rr6. So at that point I was like forget it I'll just get a Sony.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure. This was before they started the extra warranty and I was young. I decided to just throw it in the garbage and went out and bought a ps3 with heavenly sword.

Back then rrod was in the news constantly and I was scared of getting another faulty unit. My brothers launch unit from 05 started acting up as soon as we started playing rr6. So at that point I was like forget it I'll just get a Sony.

Fair enough.

I was in Europe at the time and everyone's xboxes were dying so everyone knew to send them back.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your console is within the acceptable 3-5% failure rate. Please pay for shipping to send it back to us and we will be happy to replace it with a non-special edition refurbished console.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like the worst part of this story isn't needing to get a replacement (which I bet is easy enough if this is limited to a small handful, not widespread), but possibly having to re-download everything. (I would hope returners could at least fish the HD out.) So many giant DLs and patches for the X. I burned through my last "courtesy month" of my bandwidth cap downloading as many games as I could during the review period. I'm already close to hitting my November limit, and it's not even the 10th.

(Sorry for the eff-you-Comcast derail.)

Oct 27, 2017
Launch day blues. Microsoft really stepped up their console repair game after the rrod incident, so I would imagine those affected will be taken care of swiftly. I don't think these problems should stop anyone from going out and getting one.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
Well thats percentage from my analisys. On my forum we have faults too already and compared to number of users who bought it in my community - its 5%(even higher TBH). On a possitive side it could be only Scorpio editions.

This is nonsense. If you are actually Misterxmedia you have no idea what you're talking about and never have. People with faults are more likely to report them, people without faults are most likely playing on their console.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You do know that Rrod was detected by Microsoft during test periods before launch but because they wanted to beat Sony to the punch for launch they went ahead and swept it under the rug in hopes it wouldnt affect them significantly.

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
It had to be expected. The problem that led the 360 to get those RRoD was that it was a powerfull hardware (for its time) crammed into a small case. Which implies lot of heat to vent.
The X is smaller and many time more powerful so I can't imagine how challenging it was for the engineers to make it all fit inside without everything overheating.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yup initially the warranty was like a year and it wasnt covering rrod so many were screwed. It wasnt until the class action lawsuits tht microsoft finally changed their warranty and were forced by the courts to fix the situation. Initially they were not acknowledging rrod.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

How many users total are you using to reach your five percent failure rate?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm reading that people are fixing issues of consoles not turning on by plugging them Into another powerboard....plug...seems the power draw might be creating issues in people's entertainment setups

Jordyn11

Oct 31, 2017
On mine the insects demo has started closing just after it finishes loading and Demo starts. First time I ran it after downloading it originally it was fine but now exits everytime. Have deleted and re-download but still the same. No other issues with other games or apps that I have noticed.

Anyone else had something similar?

Oct 28, 2017
amn36.gif

Obligatory kaz laughing gif :)

In all seriousness, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. This is common for all mass produced electronic products. Let's not blow it out of proportion.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Hopefully it's not wide spread. I feel for those playing with their brand new console, It would've sucked for me too had it happened to my hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
It had to be expected. The problem that led the 360 to get those RRoD was that it was a powerfull hardware (for its time) crammed into a small case. Which implies lot of heat to vent.
The X is smaller and many time more powerful so I can't imagine how challenging it was for the engineers to make it all fit inside without everything overheating.

Not exactly true.

The 360 was like a Frankenstein monster of third party tech [so much so that the amount of parts / pieces in it was a nightmare to assemble] all crammed into a box that MS designed.

I think I watched a doc on it on YouTube recently and it made the whole RRoD fiasco make 110% sense.

Less about power, more about bad hardware sourcing / manufacturing / planning.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

It took an amount of time for rrod to become mainstream and even longer for MS to acknowledge and during that time many played it down.

Not saying this is a similar issue, but MS will be praying to someone it ain't even close.

Oct 28, 2017
It took an amount of time for rrod to become mainstream and even longer for MS to acknowledge and during that time many played it down.

Not saying this is a similar issue, but MS will be praying to someone it ain't even close.

There are some negative amazon reviews complaining of dead consoles too I just read. A few 1-Star reviews talking about turning it on then off then on again a few hours later and nothing. Seems to be a power supply issue could be faulty in these early units.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally what MS told us old timers who dealt with the 360's RRoD in 2005 initially. Took a very long time for MS to do right by those of us affected. i had to pay for shipping to get my cardboard coffin and send my console to McAllen, TX in order to get a refurb replacement which also RRoD'd not too long after.

MS needs to get in front of this and show that they've learned from the RRoD fiasco. If there is, in fact, a widespread systemic issue.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
That's the kind of negativity you don't want at a launch, especially MS who have the least momentum of the 3.

The fact this has been pushed as a premium console and is the most expensive as a consequence means any ongoing issues would hurt that little bit more.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally what MS told us old timers who dealt with the 360's RRoD in 2005 initially. Took a very long time for MS to do right by those of us affected. i had to pay for shipping to get my cardboard coffin and send my console to McAllen, TX in order to get a refurb replacement which also RRoD'd not too long after.
That's not quite free then.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I wonder if this is an overvoltage protection issue, some residual charge being held in capacitors.

If anyone has one, unplug from power, hold power button for 30secs and try again.

Longshot but worth a swing.