• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I guess some old checks were sent to an old place I used to live and some asshole filled one out for 180$. Fuck.

My credit union better fix this shit. Calling them tomorrow morning. They don't have a 24 hour line.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel your pain.

Some cunt in my hoose stole my Rolo yogurt and i threatened to kill them all.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I feel your pain.

Some cunt in my hoose stole my Rolo yogurt and i threatened to kill them all.
Mine was a guy that just forged a check for a heating bill. Didn't think they could just fucking write a damn check and put my name on it and get fucking money out. Thought they need authorization. I haven't written a check in ten years

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
old cheques were sent to your old place. this person then filled out a cheque and went to a bank and used a cheque to pull out $180?

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
old cheques were sent to your old place. this person then filled out a cheque and went to a bank and used a cheque to pull out $180?
Yep. The check has my name on it from a guy I've never met before for heating and HIR. A signature that isn't mine but the credit union cashed it. I'm out 180 bucks because of this shit and it's their screw up. I've been fucked enough with money for the last 4 months so I'll be fucking angry if they don't give it back.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they think so either.

I always thought cheques needed a card to validate them, but then I have literally never written a cheque in my life, I just remember my mum doing it for groceries because she didn't have much money at the time and they used to take ages to clear.

Fact. Stealing my yogurt is a war crime.

Yeh, good joke. Dude just lost a bunch of money, no need to troll his thread. <3

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Yeah do all the necessary legal shit OP. In the meantime $180 worth of pizzas is easy. Also use a fake email with their real address, and sign them up for all sorts of stuff. Home visits from (whatever the US version of) Stannah to talk about their stairlifts. Or I'm sure you have aggressive windows and doors sellers that could pop round. Did you have a landline? Worth a dial to see if the number still exists at the address and if so happy days. Spam it all over the net :p

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, it was the goverment. Probably the US President Donald Trump

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks dude, hope your union can sort it out for you ASAP. Having things stolen from you is absolutely infuriating.

Wow, what a visionary. You've surely opened up the eyes of the sheeple, oh prophet.
I read this as your unicorn and was briefly transported to a world where hard boiled unicorns with drinking problems and failed marriages solve crimes

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm always amazed you guys still use cheques. Seems so incredibly unsafe and inefficient tbh. Hope you get it back easily, OP.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Who sent the cheque to your old house and how do you know it's been cashed? Don't they take like a week to clear? It should be fine if you called your bank.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Report it to the police, then take the police report to your credit union. Money will be returned by the credit union. I've had some cases where the credit union didn't require a police report, and some banks require a police report.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Who sent the cheque to your old house and how do you know it's been cashed? Don't they take like a week to clear? It should be fine if you called your bank.
This happened on the 18th. I didn't check my bank until yesterday. They photocopy the check. I can see it's from where I lived in 2008 while going to college. I haven't had a check on me personally since then. So yeah. I don't know what else it could be.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a crime and I dont think you should have too much trouble getting your cash back, but it may take a little time because gears turn slowly. Just talk to the bank and get a police report if needed. It'll get sorted. Sounds like it should be easy enough to show it wasn't you writing the check.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
This happened on the 18th. I didn't check my bank until yesterday. They photocopy the check. I can see it's from where I lived in 2008 while going to college. I haven't had a check on me personally since then. So yeah. I don't know what else it could be.
The bank are responsible for giving the wrong person your money. The banks don't cash cheques anymore, they only deposit them into accounts (where I live at least). So you'll definitely get the money back. Regardless it's the bank's fault.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This... looks like a very easy case for the police to handle. You have a picture of the check that you never signed, you know where that money was deposited to (or at least who owns the account that money was deposited to), and you know where they live.

This is an open-and-shut case of theft. Even if the bank doesn't suggest it, you should definitely contact the proper authorities.

Oct 27, 2017
Report it to the police. They committed theft and forgery.
I use checks but pretty much only for rent and things at my kid's school that need to be paid for.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
See this wouldn't have happened if you had just bought all that gold from the commercials and buried it in your back yard.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The bank is going to want you to report the forgery to the police so I would go ahead and do that.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me once. BofA likes to send lots of promotional BS and at the time, included temporary checks (I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea). I threw it out, someone went dumpster diving, and cashed the temporary checks at a liquor store for close to $800.

BofA reimbursed my account, but I rip up my mail before throwing it out now.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I think I know who it is. But it's not a stranger. Probably is my youngest sister. Those are the only checks I can remember keeping before going to China. Left them at my parent's house if I ever needed them for any reason. She probably stole them and used them this month.

Anyways I'm at the police station now waiting for a deputy to come by and do the police report. Probably have to finish this on Monday. Credit union closes at 5 and it's 4 now. Been waiting for a deputy for like 30 minutes already. Taking forever.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
If you're wondering why I'm accusing my youngest sister. It's because she's a druggy and has stolen people's shit before. I'll have to close this account and get a new one after all this is finished. Told the credit union to cancel all checks coming through until then.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think I know who it is. But it's not a stranger. Probably is my youngest sister. Those are the only checks I can remember keeping before going to China. Left them at my parent's house if I ever needed them for any reason. She probably stole them and used them this month.

Anyways I'm at the police station now waiting for a deputy to come by and do the police report. Probably have to finish this on Monday. Credit union closes at 5 and it's 4 now. Been waiting for a deputy for like 30 minutes already. Taking forever.

Get the money back. Scold your sister. If you can't get the money back, scold your sister anyways.