• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the last thread got some pretty positive reception so here's Johnny's next review.

It was after Gen 3 that I bowed out of Pokémon for awhile, I never even played Emerald.

But it did introduce my all time favorite Pokémon(Gardevoir) so I'm cool with it.

TwistedN

Mar 23, 2018
Gen 3 is when I started being weird and disinterested with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh distracted me from it until around fire red and leaf green, will definitely check this out.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Gen 3 was fun, but was a downgrade compared to Gen 2, it's like with Gen 3 Gamefreak got very comfortable & knew Pokemon would sell due to brand name, so they didn't really need to add much new features & a second region. They scrapped Silver/Gold's original version to do it again, but better, they never really did that again & just shipped what they had.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although I started with Gen I and skipped Gen II because I was poor, I grew up with this gen so it has a special place in my heart, but I do see the flaws as he pointed out. It's amazing to me that they remade the games but opted for a 1:1 recreation meaning barely any improvements to the water routes.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have vivid memories of Gen 3, I remember playing Emerald and I still have my male Gardevoir that I carried over since then. I never finish a Pokemon game without him, he's always in my team. I love him so much.

But my most fondest memory on that gen is the Gamecube games. Sure they weren't as expansive as the GBA games, but I liked their more unique take on the series and Pokemon Colosseum let me play as an older teen which was neat.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite Gen.

Love the simplicity that the game had. Plus the last Pokémon game that felt like an adventure to me.

Rarely did the game stop you to have a unnecessary conversation.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Ruby/Sapphire was the last generation I played before losing interest in the series for about a decade. I liked it a lot, but I never managed to complete it and the excitement wasn't there for Diamond/Pearl. I was always bothered that the day/night system was removed in generation 3, but secret bases was the coolest thing as a kid.

I actually did try to get back into the series with X/Y but it wasn't that engaging to me. I then got the remakes of generation 3 which I really disliked, to a point that I stopped playing and moved onto the original Emerald and finally completed it. It was a night and day difference to me, and I've still not got back into the series since then.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
The best exploration of any gen makes it my favorite generation of Pokemon. The quest for the Regis is something that I will never forget.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
This is the Gen that pretty much started the never ending regressions from GF. Ruby & Sapphire looked really simplistic compared to other GBA games (even the ones released before it) but the worst part for me was how they didn't follow most of the improvements that Gold & Silver introduced.

One of my first major disappointments.

Oct 26, 2017
Gen 3 was fun, but was a downgrade compared to Gen 2, it's like with Gen 3 Gamefreak got very comfortable & knew Pokemon would sell due to brand name, so they didn't really need to add much new features & a second region. They scrapped Silver/Gold's original version to do it again, but better, they never really did that again & just shipped what they had.

Huh? If they knew Pokemon would sell based on its brand name then you would have seen more of the same stuff from Gens I and II. I would argue Gen VI-onwards (hell we had a fucking Gen I remake to start the Switch era) is when you started seeing less love and care in the franchise than in Gens II-V. They went in a drastic direction for Gen III in terms of region and Pokemon design. Also Gen III added a bunch of new features, we have the Battle Frontier (which was an extension of Gen II's Battle Tower and added more facilities with interesting battle premises), a completely new stat system, and so on.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Huh? If they knew Pokemon would sell based on its brand name then you would have seen more of the same stuff from Gens I and II. I would argue Gen VI-onwards (hell we had a fucking Gen I remake to start the Switch era) is when you started seeing less love and care in the franchise than in Gens II-V. They went in a drastic direction for Gen III in terms of region and Pokemon design. Also Gen III added a bunch of new features, we have the Battle Frontier (which was an extension of Gen II's Battle Tower and added more facilities with interesting battle premises), a completely new stat system, and so on.
AS/OR pretty much prove that Gamefreak are overly comfortable, no one should defend their smart ass answer about why the remakes were missing Emerald content.