Someone already hacked the PlayStation Classic!

Oct 29, 2017
What’s with all these Rasperry Pi comments? If we wanted a Pi we wouldn’t be following the status of the classic.

Is it like this in the NES/SNES Classic threads too?
It's annyoing, because I already have a Pi. I already have PSX emulators. I already have a PS3 & Vita with lots of PS1 games on it.

I know there are tons of alternatives. I have the alternatives.
None of the other ones comes in such a great package. a PSX replica and 2x controllers? that's a pretty solid deal imo, even though it is nostalgia bait.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
It's annyoing, because I already have a Pi. I already have PSX emulators. I already have a PS3 & Vita with lots of PS1 games on it.

None of the other ones comes in such a great package. a PSX replica and 2x controllers? that's a pretty solid deal imo, even though it is nostalgia bait.
Just wait for a Retroflag PS1 Pi case. You know it is coming, they just released the Genesis version to really solid reviews.

Oct 25, 2017

Two terrible controllers with no dual shock.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Wow it’s actually getting worse? This product is such a huge embarrassment for Sony, I wish they never released it. It’s a distraction when they should be doubling down on their strengths (PS4, PS Plus, epic current gen game library) during the holiday season.

OP
OP
Seik

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
Wow it’s actually getting worse? This product is such a huge embarrassment for Sony, I wish they never released it. It’s a distraction when they should instead be doubling down on their strengths (PS4, PS Plus, epic game library) during the holiday season.
What do you mean 'worse'?

This is a good thing, people can actually improve on it!

From a consumer's POV this is great news!

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean 'worse'?

This is a good thing, people can actually improve on it!

From a consumer's POV this is great news!
You mean hacking?

I guess from that point of view it’s a good thing. I don’t want to buy a PS Classic for hacking though. I want a nice offering to begin with that doesn’t run games slowly and feels like a complete package and not a botched holiday turd. But to each his own.

OP
OP
Seik

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
You mean hacking?

I guess from that point of view it’s a good thing. I don’t want to buy a PS Classic for hacking though. I want a nice offering to begin with that doesn’t run games slowly and feels like a complete package and not a botched holiday turd. But to each his own.
Yes I mean hacking, you came in a thread that discusses the PS Classic being hacked. :P

I got it as a gift, so I'm willing to make it better for the sake of it, you know.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I mean hacking, you came in a thread that discusses the PS Classic being hacked. :P

I got it as a gift, so I'm willing to make it better for the sake of it, you know.
I understand. But given how easy it is to hack I’d think you can see why I felt compelled to say it’s such an embarrassment. It just came out. Runs games like crap, hardware is inadequate for its application from what I understand and has encryption so weak it’s already been hacked.

Also on the subject of hacking, does it really matter if it can’t run games at normal speed anyway if the hardware seems to be inadequate? Or is it strictly a software issue? Then there might be a glimmer of hope.

Dec 4, 2017
Probably; you either needed a mod chip or an Action Replay and a paper clip. Though I'm sure it would've been popular as shit without it. It's not like everyone had access to CD burners back then.
Heh. You clearly have never seen African boys selling pirated PlayStation games in the middle of the road in plain daylight, or the people who did have a CD burner back then with their PCs working day and night to churn out copy upon copy of the hottest PS games to resell to friends and colleagues.

In the years 1997-2001 I never knew a single PlayStation owner whose console wasn’t modded, and among those, it was rare for anyone to have more than 1 or 2 genuine games near their pile of copied CDs.

I’m curious to see what hackers can get out of the PS Classic. It has USB ports, so a lot of things should be possible.

OP
OP
Seik

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
I understand. But given how easy it is to hack I’d think you can see why I felt compelled to say it’s such an embarrassment. It just came out. Runs games like crap, hardware is inadequate for its application from what I understand and has encryption so weak it’s already been hacked.

Also on the subject of hacking, does it really matter if it can’t run games at normal speed anyway if the hardware seems to be inadequate? Or is it strictly a software issue? Then there might be a glimmer of hope.
The PS Classic uses a really old branch of reARMed and the components show untapped potential, so the odds that the emulation issues are software-related are high.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The PS Classic uses a really old branch of reARMed and the components show untapped potential, so the odds that the emulation issues are software-related are high.
Oh! I learned something today. Then the hacking while still embarrassing in one regard is quite viable in another.

Nov 27, 2018
Nah, the controllers are legit imo.

That goes without saying that a hack could make DS4 compatible, too.
Maybe but surely not wirelessly? AFAIK the PS Classic doesn’t have Bluetooth capability.

Being able to play PS1 games wirelessly with my DS4 on my Pi is pretty spectacular. I’m easy pleased.

OP
OP
Seik

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
Maybe but surely not wirelessly? AFAIK the PS Classic doesn’t have Bluetooth capability.

Being able to play PS1 games wirelessly with my DS4 on my Pi is pretty spectacular. I’m easy pleased.
You and I both, love my Pi as well. :)

Perhaps something could be done with a bluetooth adapter at some point, once it's hacked, but that's just pure speculations.

Oct 27, 2017
But given how easy it is to hack I’d think you can see why I felt compelled to say it’s such an embarrassment.
Why would Sony even care? It's not an online connected device. Cheating doesn't matter. There's no additional software being sold. Once you've bought the thing you've paid for the hardware and included games. Anything that happens after that doesn't matter to Sony at all. Even the included games can be freely digitized and distributed from any original copy, and all already have been for decades, so being easily decrypted from this device is totally meaningless.