• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FWIW the manual injection that the dude in Japan did in the OP isn't something users would be capable of doing, and didn't require him to bypass the encryption of the boot loading. However shortly after he did that the big encryption/signing hole that will allow updates via USB was discovered by a different team. That opens everything up.

I'm hoping this getting opened up boosts interest in making PCSX ReARMed running better. That would result in a better emulator not just for the PSC but also for Switch, Shield, et al.

If anybody here codes for ARM, here's Sony's final source: https://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/psclassic-oss/

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
How does this work exactly? Can other hackers potentially carry on where this dude left off now that it's been breached?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm biting the bullet this week and getting one!
No need to rush, lol. At the very least, wait for confirmation of game swaps and ports or access to that menu that requires a keyboard without needing a keyboard.

I'm not too sure, because the NES and SNES did have something more low level than the Android backend this seems to have. Hopefully they get the full fat Retroarch stuff on it anyway or Lakka.
Considering that someone's porting Retroarch to the PS2, I'm sure someone will get something libretro related on this thing. or at the very least, a port of the more up to date PCSX-R core over the out of date version already on the thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own. It will look nice next to my NES and SNES Classics.

Spoiler: It will!
AKhXUtI.jpg
vHy070c.jpg

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
FWIW the manual injection that the dude in Japan did in the OP isn't something users would be capable of doing, and didn't require him to bypass the encryption of the boot loading. However shortly after he did that the big encryption/signing hole that will allow updates via USB was discovered by a different team. That opens everything up.

I'm hoping this getting opened up boosts interest in making PCSX ReARMed running better. That would result in a better emulator not just for the PSC but also for Switch, Shield, et al.

If anybody here codes for ARM, here's Sony's final source: https://doc.dl.playstation.net/doc/psclassic-oss/
Oh, nice!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
No need to rush, lol. At the very least, wait for confirmation of game swaps and ports or access to that menu that requires a keyboard without needing a keyboard.
In all honesty, I was probably going to cave regardless, since I do think the form factor is admittedly great.

With regards to the debug menu, is it still just Corsair keyboards that can access that?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if they intentionally left it easy to manipulate in order to allow people to add their own games and cut down on expensive licensing to include the desirable titles?

Highly unlikely as it would be super obvious.

It's easy because it was a low effort cheap rush job to cash in on the holiday season and the whole mini retro plug and play console.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Eh. I returned mine. Didn't care for the library. I have a PSTV that i got for $30 when they were in fire sale. It has a store (with all the games I would ever want to play), connects to dualshock 4, expandable memory, and plays PSP and Vita games too. I think they're around $100 now. Still the way to go if you want to play ps1 games on your TV I think.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
This is a corporation who wants your money, it's more likely that they put little to no effort on this one to cheap out or/and they want to push it asap for holidays.
That sounds nice, but everything up to the reveal of this product says otherwise.

Sony's always been a corp out for your money, but that never got in the way of them producing high quality hardware and products, it's something they are known for. Even the products that fail are usually high quality. I don't know how popular it was for casual gamers to add additional games to their NES and SNES Mini's, but if Sony saw this side of it, I think they would make it as easy as legally possible.

Maybe I'm just being delusional and having trouble coping with the fact that they would let this stuff pass QA. Especially the PAL roms, and the compatible keyboards accessing the EMU options. It's a shit show that isn't like them in the least, based on their hardware history.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
What if they intentionally left it easy to manipulate in order to allow people to add their own games and cut down on expensive licensing to include the desirable titles?
Lol...fuck it, we made the box look pretty. Just throw some shit on there and call it a day; the hackers will take care of the rest.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Probably; you either needed a mod chip or an Action Replay and a paper clip. Though I'm sure it would've been popular as shit without it. It's not like everyone had access to CD burners back then.

Oh sure, but in southamerica pirates sold games like crazy. I bought a lot in that time, I wasn't even sure my games were ilegal (I mean I was young).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I wish it was possible just to buy the shell... plenty of tiny computers with more features that could be shoved into that thing. There is 3D printing, but you aren't going to get one with the kind of polish and working buttons, etc.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's always been a corp out for your money, but that never got in the way of them producing high quality hardware and products, it's something they are known for. Even the products that fail are usually high quality. I don't know how popular it was for casual gamers to add additional games to their NES and SNES Mini's, but if Sony saw this side of it, I think they would make it as easy as legally possible.

Maybe I'm just being delusional and having trouble coping with the fact that they would let this stuff pass QA. Especially the PAL roms, and the compatible keyboards accessing the EMU options. It's a shit show that isn't like them in the least, based on their hardware history.
They always do that on their main hardware like PS4 but this feels like a cheap, fast money grab from them banking on that sweet nostalgia + holidays. I'm getting one just for the looks honestly, they got me on nostalgia

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sure, but in southamerica pirates sold games like crazy. I bought a lot in that time, I wasn't even sure my games were legal (I mean I was young).
In the US, at least in my area, it wasn't that well known. I knew because my brother and I had a friend into the PC/emulation/game scene at the time that peeped us to the Action Replay superiority over the Gameshark, so we managed to snag one primarily for the DBZ import potential.

Us snagging a burned game or two was just a nice bonus. Other than that friend, most people were mystified that what were doing was even possible.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I wish it was possible just to buy the shell... plenty of tiny computers with more features that could be shoved into that thing. There is 3D printing, but you aren't going to get one with the kind of polish and working buttons, etc.
The closest you'll probably get for now is a used PSOne and salvaging it.

I'm sure one of those Pi case companies will make one like those high quality SNES ones. Like Retroflag, for example. They have the best NES/SNES/Genesis cases out IMO since all of the I/O is in the back and not on the side like some cases have been stupidly doing. I doubt they'll wait long before getting a Playstation one out.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
dumb question, and don't kill me - what's the point of hacking this thing when you could get something like a pi for cheaper? is it the case and the controllers?

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
The closest you'll probably get for now is a used PSOne and salvaging it.

I'm sure one of those Pi case companies will make one like those high quality SNES ones. Like Retroflag, for example. They have the best NES/SNES/Genesis cases out IMO since all of the I/O is in the back and not on the side like some cases have been stupidly doing. I doubt they'll wait long before getting a Playstation one out.

Just looked up that Retroflag Superpi case.. Now that looks amazing compared to the 3D printed crap all over the place.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
dumb question, and don't kill me - what's the point of hacking this thing when you could get something like a pi for cheaper? is it the case and the controllers?

Case, controllers, because it's an official licensed product, more of a collector's item but they still want it to be 'usable', etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Has a lot of to do with it, and because this is something that's official and even with the most basic of modding or game addition, it's something that's relatively maintenance free for randoms to pick up and play on. By comparison, a Pi, you have to, games and assembly aside, configure everything from scratch. And if you're looking for something Playstation themed, good luck.

And in reality, making a Pi is roughly the same cost. The Pi itself is $40, then you have to factor in power supplies, SD cards, and controllers. Tends to roughly amount to the same amount of money, but with the added hassle of having to pair and unpair controllers constantly if you opt for wireless controllers for the Pi by using ones you already own.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This thing was so lazy...
Not checking hZ and getting slow games?
Public keys used for encryption resulting in pretty much NO security to worry about on the thing?
Yup. Its like the software side of this project was folks who were total beginners. These are rookie oversights.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The shitty CPU makes it even more pointless.

I mean, you might as well buy the PSClassic just for the case and completely gut the insides, honestly.

Eh. I returned mine. Didn't care for the library. I have a PSTV that i got for $30 when they were in fire sale. It has a store (with all the games I would ever want to play), connects to dualshock 4, expandable memory, and plays PSP and Vita games too. I think they're around $100 now. Still the way to go if you want to play ps1 games on your TV I think.

Isn't it limited to 1080i?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ahQQsZh.gif

/s

Yeah I seriously doubt that.

It's happened before.

The author of the emulator for Sega's Smash Pack on the Dreamcast officially leaked info to Echelon, the piracy group that cracked dreamcast games, so they could rip the emulator and release it online. Since Dreamcast games can't be read in normal CDRom Drives, it's not too obvious, but if you network a dreamcast to a PC and browse the disc, you'll find a file called Echelon.txt in the root. Inside is the following:

To whomever releases this pack..

Let me give you a few bits of info:

- I emulate a U.S. Genesis, including territory lock-out.
- ".sga" files are standard Genesis/Megadrive ".bin" files renamed.
- The emulator is looking for some parameters to be passed via Ginsu.
If you don't know what that is, you'll figure it out:

MDE_US.BIN ALTBEAST.SGA MODE2 SKIP0 SOUND0

MODE0 = standard, fastest video mode settings
MODE1 = slower, supports some extra features
MODE2 = slowest, includes window layers (used by some games)
MODE4 = same as MODE0 with background skewing

SKIP0 = no sprite skipping until maximum reached
SKIP1 = moderate sprite skipping, used to prevent major slowdown
SKIP2 = maximum sprites skipped

SOUND0 = standard sound emulation
SOUND1 = sound tempo increased

And don't forget to pay your respects to Uncle Sonic.
Sony just doesn't get it.

- Gary

The final line which says "Respect uncle sonic" is why the Echelon release notes for the Genesis emulator says this:

Miscellaneous Notes:

- Yes, this pack is based off an emulator that Sega coded.

- The emulator requires a lot of tweaking to get games that are not
included on this pack to run correctly.

- If we have time for it, we will probably do this tweaking over
the next few days and release a menu system to launch your own
ROM's and burn them to a CD.

- For all of those wondering, the DC console that comes with this
pack (when you buy it!) DOES play MIL CD's / copies.

- You will all probably be wondering how to exit out of a game once
you start it, simply press A+B+X+Y simultaneously, then hit Start
to return back to the menu system.

- Regards to Uncle Sonic for his help, you know for what!

...but yes, I don't believe Sony did this purposefully lol.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

Vita TV scales pretty poorly... I'd say PS3 is still king.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Have the Hakchi creators expressed any interest in working on the PS classic?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
If someone can get rid of the horrible filtering I would be ever so greatful.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, why home brew so many devices though? At this point, I'm sure you can build a computer that runs the emulator better than all these home brew devices.
Because for the most part, some of these devices have better UI's. Native Retroarch is trash, Steam is trash even with Steam Rom Manager, Launchbox costs money for the console-like UI and moves too slow for some people, Attract Mode and Hyperspin are ass to set up and configure, and good luck finding a version of Emulationstation still being maintained on PC.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Regardless of how easy it is to hack I can't see myself giving Sony $100 for me to completely gut the software. Should'a just made a good product.