• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with that, in fact I already asked for a mini 32Gb dongle for my job's gift trading, haha!

I just hoped there would be more space in there for starters. That's OK though, if we can cut some fat like Rainbow Six, that leaves place for the entire Crash Trilogy which roughly takes up 900Mb and RS is only one in many games I'd remove from there.

Mandos had a good idea the other day. Multiplayer games or big games like FFIX that don't compress well could be on the internal storage and the other ones could be on an USB drive. Or people can use an USB hub to both put a controller and a drive on the same port.

This is the good stuff about the Classic, the hacking possibilities are incredibly high.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mandos had a good idea the other day. Multiplayer games or big games like FFIX that don't compress well could be on the internal storage and the other ones could be on an USB drive. Or people can use an USB hub to both put a controller and a drive on the same port.

This is the good stuff about the Classic, the hacking possibilities are incredibly high.

Yeah, we discussed about it in the OT, too, IIRC and that's a good idea!

Though there is some OCD side of me that want to cut the games I don't want in there to maximize it's base line-up for something up to snuff, but that's just me. :P

It's also crucial to be able to delete the games inside to replace those PAL releases I want to keep for NTSC.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting developments. I wonder how far away we are from the point of "here's everything you need, download this, go" that we got to with the NES and SNES Classics.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
So, theoretically, if this does have the capability to have RetroArch be the emulator rather this old ass version of PCSX, would this just be a seamless replacement, or a complete UI change? As much as it gets complained about, I don't mind either the games list or the OS and I'd actually like to keep the console as close to the original, I just want the games to run better.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Keeping watch on the progress of this.

Cyber security professionals are probably facepalming finding out that its security was encrypted with a public key, haha.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like the issue is going to be speed though. Sure, you can add a ton of games, but will they mostly run poorly? Realistically wouldnt it be much more cost efficient to get the newest raspberry pi and a couple of dual shock usb controllers?

Oct 28, 2017
What if they intentionally left it easy to manipulate in order to allow people to add their own games and cut down on expensive licensing to include the desirable titles?
so sony remember their past!
the good old days of "ps1 and ps2 sold so much because they were easy to pirate, sony knew that and did nothing"

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
If I see this on sale for $80 or lower I'll probably bite now. What was done with THPS2 in that video is all I'd really want to do with a handful of games.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What's with all these Rasperry Pi comments? If we wanted a Pi we wouldn't be following the status of the classic.

Is it like this in the NES/SNES Classic threads too?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit I can't wait for this to be public I need to know how to do this

You might want to temper your expectations. The guy in the video clearly says the performance is poor and it's not really in a playable state. Judging by the poor performance of the emulator, it seems like each game is going to require specific tweaks to get them to run decently, which will take a very long time. More likely the emulator is going to have to be optimized further or replaced with another one altogether. Basically I feel like it's going to take a long time before this properly emulates a PlayStation with the kind of performance that enthusiasts will be satisfied with. The emulator they included is such a botch job that it won't be as easy as just dropping roms like you could on a NES/SNES Classic. That is unless you don't mind completely shitty framerates, which is up to you.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Glad to hear it. I'll buy a PS Classic when the 20 games I can put on it are...
  1. Final Fantasy VII
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Vagrant Story
  4. Ape Escape
  5. Jumping Flash!
  6. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  7. WipEout 3
  8. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  9. Fear Effect
  10. Resident Evil 2
  11. Silent Hill
  12. Metal Gear Solid
  13. Crash Team Racing
  14. Bust-A-Groove
  15. Rival Schools
  16. Spyro the Dragon
  17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  18. Rollcage Stage 2
  19. Alundra
  20. Tekken 3
All running at 60hz without hiccups. There you go - God-tier line up right there.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
"Hey, we know the emulator we're using is bad and outdated and we know the games run worse than on an actual Playstation 1, and we don't have a lot of available functions like the Classic plug-n-plays preceding us, and this will publicly review poorly as a result, coloring the perception of our product's quality to the general masses this christmas... but we left the entire thing open to hacking for you, our gamers. You're welcome."

'For the players'

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Based on what we know is it feasible to assume that we will be able to get dual shock support and can play Ape Escape?

I just picked up a ps classic based on the news in this thread. I had a blast modding and playing unreleased Japanese games with English patches on the nes/snes classics.

Ape Escape
Lunar
Lunar 2
And alot of the older long forgotten game franchises.

Half the fun after hacking is researching and finding some hidden gems.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see someone drop a raspberry pi into that chassis inc the controller ports working.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want Bushido Blade. If I can find this thing for cheaper than $99 USD at some point, I'll buy one if it's easy to put Bushido Blade on it. I don't have a PSOne anymore, so I can't actually use my Bushido Blade disc. :(

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'd be more interested in this if the system came with dualshock controllers. Just not interested in playing many of these without an analog stick.

Does a modding scene exist for the PS TV? I have like 30 PS One games (discs) that I'd love to play, but currently have no way to play them. =\

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is it that, or that you can encrypt anything with the public key and then it accepts it and decrypts it with the private key?
Other way around. It should be encrypted with the private key that only Sony has to sign the software that can be decrypted with the public key. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to decrypt and run the game on the system.

Except apparently here you can just encrypt with the public key so the whole thing is forfeit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see someone drop a raspberry pi into that chassis inc the controller ports working.

Impossible, that RPi3 is too big for that casing, that's why all the custom PS1 cases you see when you search for a PS1 Pi case on Google are disproportionate, ugly wanna bes.

The only thing that could fit (?) could be a Raspberry Pi Zero and this won't give you the performance you'd like for PS1 games.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I'd sign it with a public key intentionally if I were them, lol. Gives plausible deniability to licensees, and tf should anyone at Sony care if this gets hacked. It's just going to boost sales if anything. There's literally zero reason for them to make it secure, other than some legal IP protection garbage to 3rd party games licensees.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh the controller is pretty cool.

I mean yeah the lack of sticks and rumble sucks, but...those are still cool with me, haha!

Plus with a hack you could probably end up be playing with a DS4!

Considering the controllers connect via usb, don't be surprised when they get analog controllers working too.

I'm looking for a good emulation box, and in the weirdest turn of events, PS Classic could actually become it.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
This point has already been discussed again and again.

People got the box already, like me, we want to tinkle with it and push it to its best because we want it to be better than just looking good.

This sounds like a better, more constructive thing to do than shelving it, calling it a day, thinking it's worthless and leaving it at that.

Preach. We could use less dumping on this thread.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'd be more interested in this if the system came with dualshock controllers. Just not interested in playing many of these without an analog stick.

Does a modding scene exist for the PS TV? I have like 30 PS One games (discs) that I'd love to play, but currently have no way to play them. =\

I assume PSTV is just like Vita. Won't exactly state how, but you can go so far as to have a store of sorts available from your home screen that grants access to downloads for *almost* all US/JP/EU/AS titles for PS1, PSP, Vita and each titles respective DLC.

The stuff available on Vita/PSTV is ridiculous.

Not sure of rules here so unsure if I could tell you how to convert your discs to EBOOTS and run through a PSP emulator on that's PSTV.

Wish I got one when they were $40 a couple years back.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Other way around. It should be encrypted with the private key that only Sony has to sign the software that can be decrypted with the public key. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to decrypt and run the game on the system.

Except apparently here you can just encrypt with the public key so the whole thing is forfeit.

Wait, it's the other way around. Alice gives her public key to Bob so he can encrypt data, and she decrypts it with her private key. Everyone can have the publickey, but if you program an emulator to accept any iso encrypted with the public key they can trick you into emulating isos you weren't supposed to. So they should have had a new public/private pair and kept that public key unreleased so that only the isos they chose could be encrypted using that public key.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I assume PSTV is just like Vita. Won't exactly state how, but you can go so far as to have a store of sorts available from your home screen that grants access to downloads for *almost* all US/JP/EU/AS titles for PS1, PSP, Vita and each titles respective DLC.

The stuff available on Vita/PSTV is ridiculous.

Not sure of rules here so unsure if I could tell you how to convert your discs to EBOOTS and run through a PSP emulator on that's PSTV.

Wish I got one when they were $40 a couple years back.

Thanks, I'll have to look into this. I've been dying to play some Jet Moto with my brother.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The official Sony PBP version of FF7 is 1.32GB which is a solid 30% reduced size.

And MGS is 780MB though I'd think MGS dumped is probably closer to 1.2GB which would put it also about 35%.

So assuming Sony had used PBP as the compressed format for the games, there would likely have been about 5-6 additional GB free... but again, they probably just didn't feel the need since the space was there anyways.
wtf, when I converted my ripped copies to PBP, I got Final Fantasy down to 1.5GB and MGS to 940MB.

I need a better compression tool.