• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's with all these Rasperry Pi comments? If we wanted a Pi we wouldn't be following the status of the classic.

Is it like this in the NES/SNES Classic threads too?
It's annyoing, because I already have a Pi. I already have PSX emulators. I already have a PS3 & Vita with lots of PS1 games on it.

I know there are tons of alternatives. I have the alternatives.
None of the other ones comes in such a great package. a PSX replica and 2x controllers? that's a pretty solid deal imo, even though it is nostalgia bait.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
It's annyoing, because I already have a Pi. I already have PSX emulators. I already have a PS3 & Vita with lots of PS1 games on it.

None of the other ones comes in such a great package. a PSX replica and 2x controllers? that's a pretty solid deal imo, even though it is nostalgia bait.

Just wait for a Retroflag PS1 Pi case. You know it is coming, they just released the Genesis version to really solid reviews.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Two terrible controllers with no dual shock.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Wow it's actually getting worse? This product is such a huge embarrassment for Sony, I wish they never released it. It's a distraction when they should be doubling down on their strengths (PS4, PS Plus, epic current gen game library) during the holiday season.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow it's actually getting worse? This product is such a huge embarrassment for Sony, I wish they never released it. It's a distraction when they should instead be doubling down on their strengths (PS4, PS Plus, epic game library) during the holiday season.

What do you mean 'worse'?

This is a good thing, people can actually improve on it!

From a consumer's POV this is great news!

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean 'worse'?

This is a good thing, people can actually improve on it!

From a consumer's POV this is great news!
You mean hacking?

I guess from that point of view it's a good thing. I don't want to buy a PS Classic for hacking though. I want a nice offering to begin with that doesn't run games slowly and feels like a complete package and not a botched holiday turd. But to each his own.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean hacking?

I guess from that point of view it's a good thing. I don't want to buy a PS Classic for hacking though. I want a nice offering to begin with that doesn't run games slowly and feels like a complete package and not a botched holiday turd. But to each his own.
Yes I mean hacking, you came in a thread that discusses the PS Classic being hacked. :P

I got it as a gift, so I'm willing to make it better for the sake of it, you know.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I mean hacking, you came in a thread that discusses the PS Classic being hacked. :P

I got it as a gift, so I'm willing to make it better for the sake of it, you know.
I understand. But given how easy it is to hack I'd think you can see why I felt compelled to say it's such an embarrassment. It just came out. Runs games like crap, hardware is inadequate for its application from what I understand and has encryption so weak it's already been hacked.

Also on the subject of hacking, does it really matter if it can't run games at normal speed anyway if the hardware seems to be inadequate? Or is it strictly a software issue? Then there might be a glimmer of hope.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Probably; you either needed a mod chip or an Action Replay and a paper clip. Though I'm sure it would've been popular as shit without it. It's not like everyone had access to CD burners back then.
Heh. You clearly have never seen African boys selling pirated PlayStation games in the middle of the road in plain daylight, or the people who did have a CD burner back then with their PCs working day and night to churn out copy upon copy of the hottest PS games to resell to friends and colleagues.

In the years 1997-2001 I never knew a single PlayStation owner whose console wasn't modded, and among those, it was rare for anyone to have more than 1 or 2 genuine games near their pile of copied CDs.

I'm curious to see what hackers can get out of the PS Classic. It has USB ports, so a lot of things should be possible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand. But given how easy it is to hack I'd think you can see why I felt compelled to say it's such an embarrassment. It just came out. Runs games like crap, hardware is inadequate for its application from what I understand and has encryption so weak it's already been hacked.

Also on the subject of hacking, does it really matter if it can't run games at normal speed anyway if the hardware seems to be inadequate? Or is it strictly a software issue? Then there might be a glimmer of hope.
The PS Classic uses a really old branch of reARMed and the components show untapped potential, so the odds that the emulation issues are software-related are high.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The PS Classic uses a really old branch of reARMed and the components show untapped potential, so the odds that the emulation issues are software-related are high.
Oh! I learned something today. Then the hacking while still embarrassing in one regard is quite viable in another.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Nah, the controllers are legit imo.

That goes without saying that a hack could make DS4 compatible, too.
Maybe but surely not wirelessly? AFAIK the PS Classic doesn't have Bluetooth capability.

Being able to play PS1 games wirelessly with my DS4 on my Pi is pretty spectacular. I'm easy pleased.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe but surely not wirelessly? AFAIK the PS Classic doesn't have Bluetooth capability.

Being able to play PS1 games wirelessly with my DS4 on my Pi is pretty spectacular. I'm easy pleased.
You and I both, love my Pi as well. :)

Perhaps something could be done with a bluetooth adapter at some point, once it's hacked, but that's just pure speculations.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But given how easy it is to hack I'd think you can see why I felt compelled to say it's such an embarrassment.

Why would Sony even care? It's not an online connected device. Cheating doesn't matter. There's no additional software being sold. Once you've bought the thing you've paid for the hardware and included games. Anything that happens after that doesn't matter to Sony at all. Even the included games can be freely digitized and distributed from any original copy, and all already have been for decades, so being easily decrypted from this device is totally meaningless.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there's a better thread to ask this in, but this seems good enough. Regarding hacking the PS Classic with Bleemsync, is there actually a way to play with 2 controllers on a bleemsync game? There's some 2 player stuff my wife and I want to play. Would a USB hub work? (USB drive and 2nd controller both plugged into hub, hub plugged into PS Classic)

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Edit - this is what I'm referencing using: https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there's a better thread to ask this in, but this seems good enough. Regarding hacking the PS Classic with Bleemsync, is there actually a way to play with 2 controllers on a bleemsync game? There's some 2 player stuff my wife and I want to play. Would a USB hub work? (USB drive and 2nd controller both plugged into hub, hub plugged into PS Classic)

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Edit - this is what I'm referencing using: https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync

Hub should work! At this moment the way to do it would be to have the USB dongle on the second controller port and having the hub plugged in the first's with both controllers plugged in the hub.

Also, Bleemsync 1.0 which is being finalized will enable data transfer by the mini-USB port. So now you can plug an OTG splitter adapter behind for both the power/data and have two free ports on the front. :D

As for the best place to discuss this, come by the OT in Hangouts!

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Hub should work! At this moment the way to do it would be to have the USB dongle on the second controller port and having the hub plugged in the first's with both controllers plugged in the hub.

Also, Bleemsync 1.0 which is being finalized will enable data transfer by the mini-USB port. So now you can plug an OTG splitter adapter behind for both the power/data and have two free ports on the front. :D

As for the best place to discuss this, come by the OT in Hangouts!

Awesome thank you! I'll do that! Real quick tho - when you say it's being finalized, does that mean I should just wait for 1.0 to fully release? And as for the splitter, which one do you recommend? I promise to take further questions to the OT, just hoping to get a quick answer before I start hacking / decide to wait for 1.0. Thx!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thank you! I'll do that! Real quick tho - when you say it's being finalized, does that mean I should just wait for 1.0 to fully release? And as for the splitter, which one do you recommend? I promise to take further questions to the OT, just hoping to get a quick answer before I start hacking / decide to wait for 1.0. Thx!

If you're in no hurry, I'd recommend to wait. It should come out very soon. I'm keeping a close eye on the PS Classic reddit page where a Bleemsync dev gives regular updates.

For example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Playstatio...rmed_exfat_and_ntfs_support_for_bleemsync_10/

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i don't get why people are talking about the Raspberry Pi in there... isn't the PS1 emulation on the Pi terrible?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hi all:

What would be the best "scanlines" overlay to use? I have experimented with some grid-based ones but the default scanlines one seem to rough or dark.

Shaders are not an option as they cause slowdown. What do you guys recommend? I prefer the closest thing as possible to a CRT.

Edit: asking for the PS Classic of course.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm a bit out of the loop on how PSClassic's guts compare to, say, Pi3 or SNES Classic. If this is truly a powerful machine to pick up for hdtv emulator-installation potential at $60 or less, I'd love some insight from this thread's smarter folks.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm a bit out of the loop on how PSClassic's guts compare to, say, Pi3 or SNES Classic. If this is truly a powerful machine to pick up for hdtv emulator-installation potential at $60 or less, I'd love some insight from this thread's smarter folks.
Same.
I'm lttp here and I'd like to ask. Which is better as an emubox, psclassic or pi3b+?
I see the classic now runs psp, hows that on a pi?
I'm torn between pi on a mega drive case or psclassic.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Same.
I'm lttp here and I'd like to ask. Which is better as an emubox, psclassic or pi3b+?
I see the classic now runs psp, hows that on a pi?
I'm torn between pi on a mega drive case or psclassic.
Pi has a huge community and I reckon its emulators would have more work put into them (and actively maintained for longer) making them more optimized and perform better even if the hardware was slightly weaker (which I don't know if it is). Also setup and upgradability couldn't be easier on the Pi. Probably also better controller/peripheral compatibility, has more USB ports, WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, etc.

Search for Retropie on YouTube and you'll be amazed.

And you can use it as a general purpose computer by just swapping the MicroSD card for a free OS of your choice any time.

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly from what I've seen the PS Classic seems to run about on par with a Pi so if you're just looking for an all around emulation box the Raspberry Pi is still the King when it comes to price and performance. I wouldn't buy a PS Classic for an emulation box myself, that's just not the appeal of the system imo.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
The PS Classic has the best GPU of the bunch but that's pretty meaningless when it comes to emulating PS1 games at a native 240p. The Pi3B+ has a clear advantage on the CPU side, which means in theory it should be the more capable emulation machine.

Pi also has the advantage of running GNU Linux; as opposed the Android based OS on the Classic; but I don't really know how much big an advantage that actually is, given they're both custom implementations (presumably both cutting out a lot of the unnecessary usual OS bloat).

Last edited:

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So what I'm finding here is that Retroarch running PCSX ReARMed is faster than running the PlayStation Classic either stock or with BleemSync using the regular style menu. I love the customisation of Retroarch but I was kinda hoping to just use the regular rotation menu and treat the machine as almost stock with its built in savestate system, etc. This is just playing the copy of Metal Gear Solid built into the system.

Is Retroarch supposed to run better in this case or have I configured something incorrectly.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What's the biggest size USB stick you can run on this with bleem?

Hopefully should be picking up one soon and wanted to get the biggest memory available.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the thing because for 30 dollars so I have no regrets

Questions.

1) Can I use the controllers on a PC?
2) How hard is to put other games on this thing?
3) Is the emulation good when you add games to it?

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1) yes.
2) sortaish. USB compatibility is a bugger because Sony limited power draw on the front ports to 100ma so a lot of sticks will brown out and you get weird glitches. If you have an externally-powered USB hub you can plug into the front ports and then plug your stick into that, you'll be easy easy with either BleemSync (fully featured but more complicated to use) or Autobleem (basic, few frills, super easy to add games).
You can also fix the power issue by dabbing two tiny blobs of solder on two spots on the motherboard if you have sufficient skill, or even conductive ink/paint with a pen will work.
3) With the proper tweaks it is good, sometimes great, never awesome. The best fix is probably using BleemSync 1.0 and toggling the "run games in RetroArch" feature in the GUI so you use the RetroArch version of PCSX ReARMed, which gives you more display/processing options, while retaining the Sony interface.
Wow that seems more complicated than I expected. I should find a proper USB stick tha
t works

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a compatibility list online somewhere but I've found you can't really trust it. I bought a two-pack of 32GB USB 3.0 sticks that the chart claims should work without a hub, and they both absolutely required one. So just try all the sticks at your disposal until you get one that boots the BleemSync menu, then after that try adding games and make sure you try playing them before going crazy with adding. If it works when you play them for a few minutes it'll probably be fine.

Seriously though, until there's a good internal-game-replacement GUI or the rear port (which doesn't have the power issue) can be accessed with an On-the-Go USB adapter with a future BleemSync, a powered USB hub or the power mod is the only way to be 100% sure your stick will work. And definitely do not go buying a massive stick like a 128GB or anything....it will NOT work without a powered hub or the internal solder mod.

I see

thanks for the tips

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
So can we just improve the internal emulator and change out a few games? I have no desire to have a USB stick hanging off.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got one of these a week ago and have been getting up to speed on where things are. I went with Autobleem because this shit is not my forte and there were a couple of guys on YouTube like Madlittlepixel who explained it pretty well and showed off features.

Now that I have Autobleem 0.5.1 on a stick with a bunch of games, I'm pretty into this thing. I realize that for some games the emulation may still be a bit off (haven't tried R4 via Autobleem but I know on the stock system it has issues and they included it in the 20 games anyway) but I've been able to solve some issues by using BIN and CUE files in place of the smaller PBP files that I think most people want to use. Basically, I'm going game by game and if it doesn't work with a PBP, I go for the BIN/CUE instead and so far I'm up to about 30 games all working great one way or another. I plan to get to around 80 or so games I think, whatever I can get on a 64GB stick. I have one of those super small ones that barely sticks out from the port at all, so I'm happy with that.

I DO want to figure out how to play 2-Player with this setup, but I haven't looked into it at all. I understand you may be able to use a hub or something but honestly I'm focusing on one thing at a time right now and for the moment, its just getting all the games I want on there. So far so great.