• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got one of these a week ago and have been getting up to speed on where things are. I went with Autobleem because this shit is not my forte and there were a couple of guys on YouTube like Madlittlepixel who explained it pretty well and showed off features.

Now that I have Autobleem 0.5.1 on a stick with a bunch of games, I'm pretty into this thing. I realize that for some games the emulation may still be a bit off (haven't tried R4 via Autobleem but I know on the stock system it has issues and they included it in the 20 games anyway) but I've been able to solve some issues by using BIN and CUE files in place of the smaller PBP files that I think most people want to use. Basically, I'm going game by game and if it doesn't work with a PBP, I go for the BIN/CUE instead and so far I'm up to about 30 games all working great one way or another. I plan to get to around 80 or so games I think, whatever I can get on a 64GB stick. I have one of those super small ones that barely sticks out from the port at all, so I'm happy with that.

I DO want to figure out how to play 2-Player with this setup, but I haven't looked into it at all. I understand you may be able to use a hub or something but honestly I'm focusing on one thing at a time right now and for the moment, its just getting all the games I want on there. So far so great.
You'll need a hub in order to play multiplayer games, I'll update this post later with the one I bought that allows it, I haven't tested 4 player yet but I know twisted metal 4 picked up 3 controllers when I tested it to see if it would work.(1 8bitdo and the 2 controllers) will test if 2 8bitdos will work once it comes in tomorrow.

Edit: this is the USB hub I bought off Amazon which was recommended to me via madlittlepixel's Facebook group. Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra-Slim Portable Data Hub with 12W Power Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192LPK5M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qKZBCbY5PAQYB
Note you'll be plugging this into another electrical socket. But I can guarantee it works with my stuff at the moment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll need a hub in order to play multiplayer games, I'll update this post later with the one I bought that allows it, I haven't tested 4 player yet but I know twisted metal 4 picked up 3 controllers when I tested it to see if it would work.(1 8bitdo and the 2 controllers) will test if 2 8bitdos will work once it comes in tomorrow.
Cool! I'll be sure to check back.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
What does it mean by "public key" in encrypting/decrypting?
A key is what the encryption is based off of, and it lets you un-encrypt the data after it's been encrypted. Let's say you're encrypting a really basic message by changing all the As to 1s, Bs to 2s, etc. Now that you know that was your key, you can un-encrypt any message that used that key.

The key is the seed for the encryption, and using a public one is like using the default password for something. Everyone can guess it and can use it to read the files.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think it's kinda strange that BleemSync and AutoBleem are so focused on making this a RetroArch "play anything" and "massive PS1 collection" machine. Honestly no one is actually playing anywhere near that many games at one time (or odds are good they'll spot-test one for a few minutes and then go play something else, rinse and repeat), and the USB sticks still often have dropout issues if you don't have the exact right type of stick or the hard-mod. There is certainly merit to adding functionality to the device, such as new software options like RA, but it seems to me that modders could--and should--be better utilizing the onboard 16GB like we saw with Hakchi on the Nintendo consoles. Even if RetroArch remains (understandably) a focus, you could have a wide variety of old school titles on that 16GB of memory if you were willing to sacrifice even just one PS1 game. Replacing games like Rainbow Six with better PS1 games is like the main reason I wanted to see it hacked.

I went ahead and edited my game lineup manually using FTP and the BS 1.0 exploit, but I would really like to see the various enhancements made to BleemSync available on the internal eMMC. Occupying that USB slot all the time is just unnecessary for use by the average player, and we shouldn't have to keep buying stuff (OTG adapter for example) to do cool things with the unit. All in my opinion, of course, so please take with the necessary dosage of salt.

Keep in mind the built-in emulator is still an extremely outdated version of PSX ReARMed. Focusing on just the internal nand would still mean needing to deal with the outdated and poorly optimized version of PSX reARMed, unlike the SNES Classic which had its own custom emulator built for it, that Canoe in of itself has suprisingly high degree of compatibility with most of SNES's library, unlike the terrible version of PSX ReARMed that came with the PSX Classic as stock.

Also I think it's a fair point to mention SNES games at the largest don't exceed 6MB is size, whereas PSX games can be as large as 2GB and with the 16GB internal NAND is much more restrictive in that regard, nevermind the fact the more desirable PSX games to put on the Classic are mainly very large multi-disc games. An optimal library on the PSX Classic was always going to heavily limited by it's internal storage.

The 512MB of internal storage on the SNES Classic can easily fit 60+ games, The same cannot be said of the very large PSX game sizes and the 16GB of Nand on the PSX Classic.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Sure, you'll be able to do that...eventually, but there is no guarantee the built-in terrible version of PSX ReARMed can be swapped with a more efficient and faster running version. At that point you'll still have the small library of games you want but they'll still won't be running properly as they should,

The SoC that inside the PSX Classic came with is surprisingly capable, it's just a shame it was crippled with a terrible core emulator that doesn't fully take advantage of it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This hate on the controllers is straight up bullshit lol. PS1's library largely didn't need/benefit from analog sticks and vibration. Official USB versions of classic controllers will always be a good thing. Current price (<$50) on the Playstation Classic is a pretty good deal for a pair of great controllers.

There is only one game in the entire PSX library that required dual analogs and that one game (Ape Escape) isn't on the PSX Classic library to begin with. The lack of dual analog support is overblown considering the fact that significant majority of PSX games using Analog controls simply swaps the D-Pad movement to begin with and very little games at all utilize the right stick for camera movement.

The PSX came out in December 1994 in Japan and the Dual Shock itself was introduced until late 1997. Essentially 3 full years of the PSX library didn't even have analog controller support in mind and the games that did support it was middling at best and never at the level compared to PS2 games with full rotating cameras on the 2nd stick.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Watch, the guy is going to put in the proper US versions of the games and remove the EU versions. That would be delightfully devious. Still, I wonder if Sony might go to the drawing board with the future versions to ensure that hackers can't easily crack it as this guy did or not.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
BleemSync is basically doing this already in real-time by running the RetroArch version of PCSX-R which is mostly better but not perfect either.
I would like to point out that even with all the patches and options people have pursued with the Nintendo minis that their emulation is neither 100% compatible nor accurate (especially the NES Mini), and yet people still load them up with as many titles as will fit and/or work. Also, the PS Classic can play the majority of PS1 games with double resolution and bilinear filter disabled without serious side effects. So it's not as if there is no reason to make at least that basic game change-out more user friendly.

Yes, but using BleemSync requires an USB storage device which goes contrary against your point of running entirely off the PSX Classic without external adaptors plugged into it. Which was my entire point to begin with.

Considering the 1.1 is not here and the authors are only releasing 1.0.1, I'd say it's going to considerable wait until modding tools mature enough for the PSX Classic to safely alter the internal storage without risk to bricking the console such as a full backup of the system nand itself.

It took a year and a half for the Hakchi team to get the software to a point which could comfortably do the things it does, especially with the Hakchi2 release which allowed for even more options.

Being just shy of three months after the release of the PSX Classic and there isn't a simple application to back up the PSX Classic internal storage to restore it in case of a bad file transfer or accidental deletion of a crucial file. If you want the benefit BleemSync but without an extra storage device plugged into the console. If that isn't in the plans for the ModMyClassic team to implement with BleemSync, you'll probably be waiting quite a while until such an option becomes available, even after confirming it reliably works without risk to the mini console.

Oct 28, 2017
Bleemsync 1.01 is almost upon us. It doesn't include any major updates outside of a newer retroarch version and more controllers supported BUT it means we're another step closer to OTG support which I'm super looking forward to

The controller support is a megaton for me personally and makes this better than a Pi for emulating systems from that era IMHO.

My big beef with retropie has always been you could only map one set of controllers for all emulators, so you either used modern controllers on it (wrecking the nostalgia) or you picked either PSX or N64 controllers to map and then when you played games from the other console the experience is subpar.

With the update it's possible to use a dual shock (or just the included controllers) for PSX games and then map N64 controllers to the retroarch side so when you play games from that era (except Saturn obviously) you are using the correct controller for that game every time.

Really excited about OTG support making two player easier and removing any USB problems. Then this thing will be a perfect late 1990s time capsule.