• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How’d I do

• Poor choice

Votes: 797 63.5%
  • Right choice

Votes: 194 15.5%
  • Not sure/other

Votes: 264 21.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm out exploring Atlanta while my partner is helping some table at Dragon Con. I'm walking in Little Five Points when I walked passed 3 young guys. One on them just takes my phone and makes a break for it. The other two did not seem ready for this. It's daytime and fairly populated so I gave chase. We got to a small chain link and he turns around and says sorry. I'm just messing around.

I don't want to fight. He gave the phone back. We walked back together. I shook his hand and gave him like a side hug thing. I dunno why. We went our separate ways. I didn't want to get cops involved.

What should I have done in this situation?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Shook his hand and a side hug? At least you got your phone back

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have turned super saiyan right there and then and sent him to go chill with freiza and cell.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Should have trusted your fists, Streets of Rage style and beat up that kid.
streets-of-rage-only-trust-your-fists-police-will-never-help-you-retro-gaming-1392483650n.gif

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha dude, you're lucky there wasn't a straightaway. That hug though, what a dork move.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I would have probably not escalated things and just grabbed the phone back and refuse another word or eye contact, but I wouldn't have hugged him, wut

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
When the worst thing you did was shake his hand and give him a hug, you did alright. Calling the cops wouldn't have made the situation better.

OP
OP
Heart of Poumn
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's stupid as hell. It's kinda funny. I was like nice try better luck next time.

Even if I wanted to fight, he's got two friends. It probably would've been bad for me.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
That's like something from a Power Rangers B story. Kind of sweet though.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You should have called the cops because what if that person tries to steal another phone. Go report him to con staff at the very least.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish everyone was as overflowing with kindness as you OP. My fat ass wouldn't be able to catch him so I can't relate

Oct 25, 2017
He should have been giving the sidewalk a side hug.

Woulda kicked his fucking ass.

Uh glad you got your phone back.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean I don't think you were under any responsibility to hold him down and wait for the cops, but the handshake and hug is a little weird.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No... I think the kid (?) learned his lesson. He knows the next person who catches him might not be as merciful.

Maybe you should have made that clear but who knows. World doesn't need any more violence.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I mean.... I wouldn't have started a fight or anything but I sure as hell wouldn't have been acting all buddy buddy with him; at least you got your phone back.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All you guys laughing at OP while he's out here living his best Uncle Iroh life

You do you OP

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, your life could have been in danger, consider how much your phone is worth next time you follow someone up an alley with no opening.

Now if it were me? OOOh baby, you know it would have gone down differently.

1. He grabs my phone.
2. I fix my bomb ass hat and say 'yare yare daze'
3. I give chase.
4. Catch up with him.
5. Take out my sweet katana, a black meteorite sword folded one million times that glistens and sparkles in the sunlight. I call it 'Dance of the Black Sakura'
6. He begs for his life.
7. I tell him he messed with a gamer. A GAMER. Nothing personnel kid.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Had a guy do the same thing back in Chicago during a convention walking back to the hotel from a bar. Asked me for a buck and when I got my wallet out he knocked it out of my hands. I was pretty drunk and said, "Hey, man." He picked it up and gave it back to me and apologized. He seemed pretty drunk too. I gave him the buck and somehow stumbled back to the hotel. Martini bars are no joke.

Glad you got your phone back. How awkward was that side hug?!? 😬

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's stupid as hell. It's kinda funny. I was like nice try better luck next time.

Even if I wanted to fight, he's got two friends. It probably would've been bad for me.

Did you initiate the handshake and hug? If he did, I understand getting caught up in the rapid mood shift and just rolling with it.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
You are too good for this world. People will take advantage of that at some point.

Did you clap?