• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
This shit actively has ruined Star Wars for me to the point where its hard to care anymore

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Star Wars fans have done so much more damage to my interest in the series than all the supposedly awful shit they incessantly scream about...

Went to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland and had a great time! That was a cool place to see, and that Smuggler's Run ride was a fun-ass-thing to do. Know what's a cool ship? The Millennium Falcon.

Then I see a thread on ERA whining about TLJ again about how Rian Johnson slit the throat of their childhood innocence, and I remember how little I ever want to associate with this shitty fucking fanbase.
Put your phone away when watching a movie...
Or else she might miss the major nuanced complexities of Star Wars!

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Oh boy. The "attention seeking" insult is the best... because that's what EVERYBODY does. Since you were born everyone wants attention and especially on social media, otherwise you wouldn't be there and would write into analogue journal at home, or maybe wander off into the woods and live there in solitude.

I myself watched the whole franchise for the very first (in episodically order) a few years ago just before Force Awakens and didn't tweet about. But each to their own and, damn, people tweeting and facebooking and instagramming about daily profanities like having their meals and no ones bats an eye. But God forbids someone does that about your beloved franchise...

Some people shouldn't have access to the internet for the rest of their lives... death threats? over THIS? What the fuck?

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Obsession/abuse over stuff like this is so painfully pathetic and ugly and tragic.

These people need help.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'll keep on saying it. Star Wars fans have some of the most stupid and irrationally angry and toxic fucksticks members among them. The Internet has helped them shine a light on themselves, made them visible and loud. They can't stand the idea of someone liking something they have problems with and they harass actors who had nothing to do with the scripts they hate so much.

Speaking as a Star Wars fan I wish they'd all find a way to plug the holes they all clearly have in their lives.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's getting to the point where I feel embarrassed to say I like these movies. The thought of seeing ROTS on opening night knowing that, statistically, I'm surrounded by these mouth-breathing weirdos is uncomfortable.

How can you miss the central ethos of a franchise so much

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Star Wars is a fairy tale, man children can't accept that.
Always fascinating how a story with themes of love, friendship, acceptance and belonging at its core can make people behave like such assholes.

I always think of it like... do you think Luke Skywalker would approve of this shit?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LTbTRIG.gif

Always fascinating how a story with themes of love, friendship, acceptance and belonging at its core can make people behave like such assholes.

I always think of it like... do you think Luke Skywalker would approve of this shit?
tenor.gif

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela

I'm still laughing that Rose literally spelled out the mission statement of the entire franchise in dialogue form, and people got angry about it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What I would give to have the chance to watch the entire Star Wars series without any knowledge of the series beforehand. Such an amazing feeling and I'm almost jealous that she gets that opportunity.

Of course those "fans" though have to ruin everything by acting like toxic entitled little pricks harassing a poor new fan and giving her a horrible view on the fandom.

Oct 26, 2017

Uh... I'd like to point you to a thing called religion.

Which Star Wars incidentally has become.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Image if the internet and modern shipping was around during the original trilogy.
The sibling reveal would have sent some over the edge.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
You can only be a True star wars fan if you:

Hate the Prequels -> I liked them back in the day, Jar-Jar was and is still shitty, though.
Hate the new films even more -> Liked TFA a lot, not a fan of TLJ.
Hate Rian Johnson -> NP with him.
Hate Kathleen Kennedy -> not even know her.
Hate Diasy Ridley -> Actually I like her character the most on the new movies.
Hate Laura Dern -> This one tho infuriated us during the screening.
Hate Kelly Marie Tran -> Not hate, but don't see the point of the character.
Hate Women in general (this one is important) -> Obviously not true.

Actually liking any of the Films is optional

Where does this put me 🤔

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the biggest Star Wars fan you could ever talk to. I grew up with the OT. Saw every single one of them during their original theatrical run.

With that said, I've learned that you just can't talk about Star Wars on the Internet. It's just too divisive and the fans are too toxic.

I don't remember any of this toxicity growing up in the OT era. Sure some people may have preferred one movie over another and even those disappointed with RoTJ we're still like..yeah not as good as the others but it's still Star Wars and it was a satisfying ending.

The toxicity started with The Phantom Menace and the rampant verbal abuse of Jake Lloyd and bullying of the the lightsaber kid meme video. It's only escalated from there and gotten much worse.

I simply don't engage anyone online when it comes to Star Wars. It's not worth my time and wasted effort. That's really kind of sad since the movies - all of them - have been such a big part of my life.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why anyone would want to talk about Star Wars in twenty nine teen. The discourse is completely tainted

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
LMAO, of course the fandom would turn into shrieking puking shitgibbons as soon as they catch a whiff of a starry eyed new fan enjoying the sequel films too much.

Yeah, it's Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy who ruined Star Wars, not the entitled socially inept creepos who claim to be fans.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

I'm still laughing that Rose literally spelled out the mission statement of the entire franchise in dialogue form, and people got angry about it.

How a goofy, kind-hearted series about a guy whose magic powers work on friendship and self-reflection developed such a sour, miserable fanbase is beyond me.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but I'm not really interested in giving a ribbon to people who preface their condemnation of harassment with "I agree that Kelly Marie Tran is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars BUT..."
Yeah I remember shortly after TLJ released there was a poll on ERA to vote on who was the worst character in SW.

Rose was number 1. Or at least top 3.

Dec 22, 2017
(Antis are people who oppose certain ships - in this scenario, people who oppose the shipping of Rey and Kylo Ren. But not like in a normal person way, where you'd be like "Kylo Ren is a douchebag who has tried to kill her and her friends multiple times so that'd be real weird for them to hook up." Instead it'd be in the weird fandom way where relationships are viewed as a sport and you root for teams to the point it seems like it's almost entirely divorced from the source material.)

(And now your life is worse for knowing this terminology)

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
ya it's about time anti's take a stance against the mar and reylo menace

Jesús Cristo

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Star Wars is apparently serious business.

Jesus Christ, fuck these people. Still hyped for the next film, but knowing the fandom is this toxic is definitely putting a damper on it.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is no better. A few months ago there was a lot of members here who defended the *harasser* when Daisy Ridley said in an interview that she was harassed by someone who didn't like TLJ.

Not liking TLJ became a rallying cry for loser nerds to be endlessly angry and harass anyone who dared like it.

Mar is amazing. We are lucky to have her as a fan.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Star Wars fans have done so much more damage to my interest in the series than all the supposedly awful shit they incessantly scream about...

Went to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland and had a great time! That was a cool place to see, and that Smuggler's Run ride was a fun-ass-thing to do. Know what's a cool ship? The Millennium Falcon.

Then I see a thread on ERA whining about TLJ again about how Rian Johnson slit the throat of their childhood innocence, and I remember how little I ever want to associate with this shitty fucking fanbase.

Or else she might miss the major nuanced complexities of Star Wars!

One thing that helps me is remembering that they are a few thousand loud people in the face of millions of people that quietly enjoy it, which gets proven over and over by the success of what they claim nobody likes and should ever like.

Liking a movie is an insult to these assholes, it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Oct 27, 2017
Shit on something people like and you will mostly be dismissed as a hater or troll.

She, however, made the mistake of genuinely enjoying something that many people hate. Conspicuous happiness is anathema to these "fans".

It's like your enjoyment is threatening to puncture the truth bubble they have built around themselves that it is patently obvious that "thing is bad". Liking the prequels or TLJ is a giant needle that they literally cannot accept to exist.

You see it in gaming (and on these very forums) if someone dares to say that they love games like Dragon Age II, FF XIII or XV, the newer Tomb Raiders, Fallout 4, etc.

People will typically get much more bent out of shape if someone posts "I love FFXV" as opposed to "I hate BotW", for example.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Star Wars is hardly Shakespeare but I always figured growing up other people who liked the films were on the same wavelength in some way and touched by the series for similar reasons than I was. It appears, spurred on by internet discourse, that there's a hardcore group of people out there who are just fucking batshit insane and I do not relate to them for a second. I wonder what fucking Star Wars it is that they've been watching!

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I think I'm finally gonna watch those movies. I just hope the whole "Luke I'm your father" part isn't supposed to be the biggest surprise of the movie.lol

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
How a goofy, kind-hearted series about a guy whose magic powers work on friendship and self-reflection developed such a sour, miserable fanbase is beyond me.

The series was dead long enough (No, fan fiction level books don't count) in between originals - prequels and then prequels - sequels for disaffected nerds to make their entire lives about them from childhood to adulthood. Then when it is different than the fiction they've built up around it in their head, they lash out. See: The continued response to Disney ignoring the books that came before Lucas selling the franchise.

Also see: Star Trek after Abrams saved it from the scrapheap, and eventually Harry Potter once we get movies about HP's kids.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think I'm finally gonna watch those movies. I just hope the whole "Luke I'm your father" part isn't supposed to be the biggest surprise of the movie.lol

It's a surprise, but the movie is perfectly fine without it. I don't think knowing it going in hurts the film at all