• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
might be controversial but i hope the next doom game just goes single player only, the multiplayer for doom 2017 just wasn't fun and theres far better multiplayer games out there in that genre,

i know doom was iconic for multiplayer death matches etc but it really didnt spark any fire for anyone this time.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
might be controversial but i hope the next doom game just goes single player only, the multiplayer for doom 2017 just wasn't fun and theres far better multiplayer games out there in that genre,

i know doom was iconic for multiplayer death matches etc but it really didnt spark any fire for anyone this time.

But it was.

Also your opinion is not controversial at all, the circlejerk against DOOM's MP is omnipresent, so don't even pretend that it isn't mmkay

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I would enjoy a single player only Doom, if only because I want to see the single player go further.

Doom 2016 is an amazing game, but it gets a little same-y. Each level is super fun, but it's not the kind of game that's easily played straight through because it doesn't feel like there's a ton of variety in gameplay. It does have its moments in that regard, but they're few and far between.

A sequel that focuses on single player could totally fix that into something beyond any FPS I've played, ever.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Doom's MP was iconic not really because of Doom but because the pickings were hardly nothing at that point. Once Quake III: Arena released, the Doom MP community was pretty much nonexistent. Doom got popular for it's level design and it's movement/gunplay while the MP was something to kill time with friends. I hope the next Doom game omits the MP so id can put all their focus and resources on the single-player. The shooter MP market hasn't needed a Doom MP since 1999.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I also wish monster infighting was more consistent.It was so fun in old doom games to use it to save ammos.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: I had more fun with NuDoom's MP than Overwatch, mainly because the latter is honestly boring as shit and slow with over-centralizing ults. Bring on the hate folks

Also, apparently 2400 people agree with me right now, contrary to what this forum often believes.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call it controversial at all. The multiplayer was alright, but general consensus seems to be that it wasn't anything special. I personally found it a shame they focused on multiplayer content rather than singleplayer content, post-launch. Hopefully it's the opposite with the next game. I really liked the expansion New Order got, and would love to see DOOM's sequel get something similar.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: I had more fun with NuDoom's MP than Overwatch, mainly because the latter is honestly boring as shit and slow with over-centralizing ults. Bring on the hate folks

Also, apparently 2400 people agree with me right now, contrary to what this forum often believes.
We get it, you're a victim for your kideo game of choice.

LooneyLMD

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Wasn't crazy about Doom's MP, but I did spend a few hours in it and had fun. That said, if it had to be sacrificed in it's current state for more SP, I wouldn't exactly lose any sleep.

Last edited:

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'd be fine with a SP only game. not interested in co-op/mp. of course, other people enjoy these kind of game so i'm not saying they SHOULDN'T be...i just hope one doesn't get more focus than the other. by all means have sp/co-op/mp but don't focus on one and neglect the others.

i just want Doom 2 to be confirmed. i loved Doom. best FPS i've ever played. graphics were fantastic. performance brilliant. what an amazing game.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I'd be fine with Doon going back to being entirely a SP experience, thgs what I came to Doom 2016 for. That being said, it's up to the developers to see whether there's a demographic who play Doom for the multiplayer or not. If it helps with selling more copies, I personally can't complain.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom 2016 is an amazing game, but it gets a little same-y. Each level is super fun, but it's not the kind of game that's easily played straight through because it doesn't feel like there's a ton of variety in gameplay. It does have its moments in that regard, but they're few and far between.
Agreed.
Fun Gameplay loop thanks to the amazingly fluid controls but it certainly needs some variety, which is why it took some time to actually play it through.

MASTER MENACE

Oct 25, 2017
In A State Of Trance
Scrap PvP specifically, but enhance the map making features for CO-OP play. Would definitely increase the longevity and separate it from other "SP only or MP tacked on" games. A game with both meaty SP campaign and you can continue the fun with an awesome Co-Op play for up to 4 players/friends with matchmaking on Snap Maps.

I definitely wanted to play more Doom, but not it's SP once beaten and definitely not the PvP crap. I wish it had co-op online.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia

I agree. Never touched MP in new DOOM. Single player experience was excellent with some room for improvement.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017

Considering Bethesda games seem to be underperforming in sales, you'll be lucky to get a multiplayer only Doom game.

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be ok with this but publisher will want something to fight the trade ins. Held back coop episodes would be a better bet imo. Make the SP game first and if sales are good enough follow up with staggered coop episodes using tweaked versions of the SP maps.

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in a different thread.

I feel that the gameplay would have to be revamped for it to find any success. The room clearing formula of the original can get stale by the end and, personally, I'm not looking forward to more of the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Leave MP in for those who want it. But please include an option for whether you want to install SP only, MP only or both. I never play MP in any game, so it's a waste of storage having to install MP too for me.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think you offended the 5 people that play the mp lol.
Yeah single player only is good idea. They probably see the stats and already know it's not worth the effort

Randy Solo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't touch the MP, and Doom was one of my favourite games of last year. So this would be fine with me. I'm tempted to double dip for the switch.