• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cephei

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hello spooky candy friends. 10 years ago there were over a hundred kids going up and down my block asking for candy almost all day long. Today, I've heard someone ring my bell only 1 time so far. And it's not like I'm in a high-crime area or anything. So something that comes to mind is that people are either not going out as much or the anxiety about something that could possibly happen to children is a bit higher than usual. I'm assuming both to an extent.

Now I'm not going to immediately claim that it was better in the old days or something ridiculous like that (because people change and should do what they want), but something I wonder a lot is whether we're actually doing what we want to do or if we're being controlled by fear. I'm sure a lot of parents talk about how they don't want their kids to be in danger, and then probably rationalize it after like, "oh it was easier or more convenient to stay home anyway." So what do you think we should actually be doing with regards to something like this? I think it's very difficult to know whether people would be enjoying the day if they did things differently and weren't so convinced that they figured out the best plan.

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
More likely, those kids grew up 10 years later and moved away or stopped their tradition. If playing Cities Skylines has taught me anything, it's that neighborhoods grow up and recycle.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe there are less kiddos in your neighborhood?

I know the churches and schools holding trick or treat events have had an affect, it's usually the neighborhood getting older.

OP
OP
cephei

cephei

Oct 25, 2017
New York
We have just as many kids if not more, even in the catholic schools near by which cost a lot of money the enrollment is up (I know because my family works in them). And at a meeting at school once the parents seemed to not want to bother with it. It's confusing

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
I guess a lot of parents really just don't want to bother. I see this a lot with the families I know, not just about Halloween, but similiar activities as well.
This is sad, to be honest.
And I honestly think this change in behavior, playing less outside, having less real friends is a direct effect of these parentes using YouTube and technlogy as babysitters.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has stopped at my place, yet, but I think my neighborhood did a "weekend trick or treat" thing because it's a school night.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely been on the decline. In general, I think this is due to parents being a little bit too overprotective of their kids.

Or possibly kids just wanting to stay home on their phones all day, knowing their parents will just buy them shit tons of candy.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering about this for several years. It certainly seems like there are less kids doing the traditional door-to-door trick or treating but maybe it just seems like that.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Much less than 15+ years ago but more than the last couple. Community events have seem to taken the place of trick or treaters (trunk or treats, park events, shopping malls, etc).

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think trick-or-treating has gone from neighborhoods to businesses and such. they usually have more activities and candy and they're free a lot of times.
seems more entertaining anyways.