Nov 5, 2017
So, I don't know how many of you follow this kinda stuff in the news, but basically there is a new-ish technology being used by law enforcement now to solve cold cases. It's called familial DNA or genealogy DNA technology. I'm sure even some of you who don't follow this very closely have heard about the Golden State Killer case being solved this year. This was due in large part to this new technology(along with hard detective work of course). Many other lesser known cases have been solved using this technology this year. The number increases every week. Families are getting justice for their loved ones who have had brutal crimes happen to them and have lived in the dark for so many years wondering who took their loved ones away and wondering if the perpetrators will ever be brought to justice.

If you don't know how this technology works, basically how it works is, if law enforcement gets a DNA sample at a crime scene, they then run that sample through DNA genealogy databases(like 23andMe, but not that specifically, because it's not public and they don't allow law enforcement access). GEDMatch is one commonly used, for example. All people of the same bloodline will have partially matching DNA, even if it is a distant cousin. So what law enforcement can now do is if they have a DNA sample of unknown John Doe killer, they run his DNA through these databases and if they get a partial match, they will know they have identified someone in this John Doe killer's family. So at that point, all they have to do is using law enforcement resources, go through that family tree and find a person or persons who best fit the most likely perpetrator, discreetly collect their DNA and identify the killer.

This technology is truly a game changer. Countless cold cases are already being solved this year alone and it has really just started to be used. There is also Parabon NanoLabs that helps, by using one's DNA to construct a digital image of what the person may look like and analyze their DNA based on genetic traits.

But here's how you can help. If every one of you submit your DNA to these databases, then you ostensibly have your family tree's DNA now in the database. So if a distant cousin of yours commits a murder, law enforcement would be able to make the link using your submitted DNA. So basically one person is essentially just as good as having your entire family(blood line) all submit their DNA individually. So if each of you submit your DNA, there would literally be nowhere for these killers to hide, assuming if a crime is committed, a sample is left behind. The more family bloodlines in these databases, the greater chance a partial match would be discovered. If you've ever watched cold case documentaries or shows, or saw news specials on TV of heartbroken families who have lost loved ones and the killer was never found, this is a great way to help.

If you're interested, I recommend using GEDMatch, it's the main one law enforcement uses. I'm not sponsoring anything, I'm just someone who is from a family with a long line of police officers, so justice has always meant a lot to me, and you see a lot of things being pushed through the media today about how every John Doe or Jane Doe can make a real life difference, and this is actually one of those opportunities. I simply don't see it talked about in the media enough, and this is a big community, so I figured I'd bring it to your attention for anyone here who doesn't already know about it. Thanks if you're willing to help, and if not, no big deal either.

Everyone, enjoy your holidays

OP
OP
TrustTheProcess
Nov 5, 2017
If you're skeptical or worried about privacy concerns, I understand, but real tangible difference has been made, as opposed to theoretical/potential concerns that may or may not have an actual impact on your life. Families have been brought justice. I recommend you read about the April Tinsley case and listen to her family if you're on the fence, and if you still have concerns, that's entirely your right to feel that way.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Under no circumstances should you ever offer up your DNA or fingerprints to the state or a private company.

These types of evidence have been used to concoct some of the most prejudiced prosecutions based on wholly circumstantial evidence. In many cases there are procedural errors with the chain of evidence that are glossed over or never disclosed by the prosecution.

And that's before you get a jury involved, where DNA evidence is often afforded far too much weight during deliberations.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Please don't give away your DNA to companies. https://gizmodo.com/what-dna-testing-companies-terrifying-privacy-policies-1819158337

Police submitted DNA to gedmatch under false pretenses and this should only worry you - especially since they've misidentified the wrong people using this method as well: https://www.apnews.com/bf26ab36786e42c69bb21c891ba095c5

Wow, that second article. Scary stuff! These concerns don't sound theoretical to me, op

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Cs0DCrO.jpg

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is your actual pitch here "Submit your DNA so that if the police ever get a partial hit, they can start investigating everyone in your entire family tree for crimes"?

May 26, 2018
Don't these companies basically own your DNA when you sell it to them? Like, that's as close as you get on Earth to selling your soul.

OP
OP
TrustTheProcess
Nov 5, 2017
Under no circumstances should you ever offer up your DNA or fingerprints to the state or a private company.

These types of evidence have been used to concoct some of the most prejudiced prosecutions based on wholly circumstantial evidence. In many cases there are procedural errors with the chain of evidence that are glossed over or never disclosed by the prosecution.

And that's before you get a jury involved, where DNA evidence is often afforded far too much weight during deliberations.

Completely disagree. There are always going to be rare instances where there are procedural errors with any kind of trace evidence, but DNA works out for the good far far more often than not, and is the most reliable tool to put violent offenders behind bars. Of all the things a jury has to deliberate over, DNA is the one thing that should be given the most credence over any other kind of evidence.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Ya, I did 23andme for the hell of it to see what kind of white mutt I was. It's good they've managed to solve some real old, major cold case, but I don't know how I feel about the precedent being set by it. Maybe it's selfish, but solving old cases like this doesn't feel like the primary, secondary, or even any main reason people should be offering up their chromosomes.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree. There are always going to be rare instances where there are procedural errors with any kind of trace evidence, but DNA works out for the good far far more often than not, and is the most reliable tool to put violent offenders behind bars. Of all the things a jury has to deliberate over, DNA is the one thing that should be given the most credence over any other kind of evidence.
TrustTheProcess

OP
OP
TrustTheProcess
Nov 5, 2017
Is your actual pitch here "Submit your DNA so that if the police ever get a partial hit, they can start investigating everyone in your entire family tree for crimes"?

My pitch is dozens of really bad people have been taken off the street using this technology, so they can't hurt anyone else. And so far it has done significantly more good than it has done harm.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I do a lot of gene sequencing in my daily research. I'll never give away my DNA, although I recognize if my family does so, it'll have quite a lot of overlap with my DNA anyway.

Edit: And I sure as heck am not PAYING someone else to have my DNA for all eternity, let alone distribute it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to need everyone to send me a sample of their blood and a stool sample. You'll be receiving my DNA crime catcher kit that's 100% legit any say now.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
A very massive backfire, and not an unjustified one... The government already knows what filth I look at, I don't need it snooping me or my family tree.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
OP we can't trust the police not to kill random people during mundane traffic stops and you want us to trust them with our DNA. Think about what you're asking people from a variety of minority groups that are actively harassed by the authorities.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
Between this thread and the "case for good cops" thread, Era is killing it with buffoonery today.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The legal history of using this as evidence is rife with mistakes and abuse. As a consumer you don't have the privacy rights that you should have before using one of these services as they aren't treated anywhere near the level of other medical information. In its current state you should absolutely not be doing this if you are interested in any real form of justice

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sponsoring anything, I'm just someone who is from a family with a long line of police officers, so justice has always meant a lot to me, and you see a lot of things being pushed through the media today about how every John Doe or Jane Doe can make a real life difference, and this is actually one of those opportunities. I simply don't see it talked about in the media enough, and this is a big community, so I figured I'd bring it to your attention for anyone here who doesn't already know about it.
Hey OP, we actually have a lot of discussions here on this forum about justice, and how many police officers contribute to abuses of power and other injustices through their silence. How often do you talk to the police officers in your family about stuff like that? What state do you live in? Maybe give us your last name, so we can look up any misuse of force or arrest data that might be publicly available on your relatives?

You wouldn't want any abstract privacy concerns to interfere with the material pursuit of justice, right?

OP
OP
TrustTheProcess
Nov 5, 2017
Ya, I did 23andme for the hell of it to see what kind of white mutt I was. It's good they've managed to solve some real old, major cold case, but I don't know how I feel about the precedent being set by it. Maybe it's selfish, but solving old cases like this doesn't feel like the primary, secondary, or even any main reason people should be offering up their chromosomes.

I never push anything on anyone hardcore, because people have the right to feel uncomfortable, but nothing wrong with throwing it out there. I don't think it's selfish to not want to offer up your DNA, there is no guarantee it will ever be needed to solve a case, in fact, it's highly unlikely it ever will.

That's why I always encourage people to do their own research and read about the good things it has done and even read about potential concerns as well, always research before you do anything.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My families blood might not be very helpful to American police. Especially since I am the only one born here in the states and my parents are immigrants. So unless them going international is happening. I don't think shit is gonna help