• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Cause, by Sixto Rodriguez.

The context helps with this more, so don't read on if you don't want 'Searching for Sugarman' ruined:
This was a man whose first album had absolutely bombed, despite critical acclaim. They allowed him to put out a second, containing this song, and it bombed harder. He was about to lose his record deal (he did, 2 weeks before Christmas) and go back to being a manual labourer.

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017

Few songs can truly portray depression as well as this one. That mix of apathy and lethargy, that feeling of emptiness...

Radiohead have a pretty respectable list of heart wrenching songs. This one isn't that, though. Street Spirit isn't about sadness. It's about despair. Existential dread conveyed in music.

Oct 30, 2017
Saybia'a "Stranded" starts with "I took a life for granted, until it slipped right through my fingers" and continues on down from there. It's a beautiful and moving song about losing someone.

The entire album is somewhat moving, but I'd challenge anyone who's lost someone to get through "It's okay to love" (from the same album - "These are the Days") without welling up just a little.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017

It's like OP's feelings for Big Star's Take Care. This is it, no more Morphine after this, the singer had already died when this song came out. And here's Mark Sandman, asking me to take him when I go. Well, you left me first, Sandman.

It's not the lyrics, and the familiar emptiness after a breakup. It's the fact that I'm going to roll the windows in my car up, and belt this out as loud as I can. This song always reminds me that I'm not as happy as I pretend to be.

Satanael

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing what's to come makes the start of Weezer's Only in Dreams hit me pretty hard.

Same for Mew's Conforting Sounds.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US

This is the best version and that first line just kills me every time.

John Lennon - Mother

John Lennon was a piece of shit human being and I generally can't stand 70% of his solo work. But the first song on his first solo album makes me feel like the Beatles break-up was worth it. This is the kind of song you couldn't get on a Beatles album and it's positively heart breaking.
Damn this is a good pick.

Oct 27, 2017

I can handle eight rum and cokes in an hour but if this song is playing, half a drink will do.

Not even heartbroken in the slightest - I'm quite happy, in fact, but something about the lyrics just messes me up oh-so-much!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The only song I have trouble listening to all the way through for emotional reasons, and not a single word in it:

Largely because of a real life connection it has, but it does have a very melancholy tone to it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the Otis Redding version.

Not many vocalists can give me legitimate goosebumps when they sing. Beautiful.

When we're talking Sam Cooke vs Otis Redding on his song, I think Sam made the better choice in almost every place where the songs diverge, but yeah, Otis definitely has the better voice for the song.

DireStr8s

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I too am a sucker for the sad ones

https://youtu.be/jGqEFQ5xmjU
There are alot of great versions of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue. This is my favorite. Thoroughly ramshackle, it sounds like it could fall apart at any second.

https://youtu.be/SuwfsS5-iM8
Lovely take on Tim Buckley's crushing song. "Did I dream that you dreamed about me?"

Both stop me in my tracks and usually get a few consecutive listens.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
It's maybe a trained response by now, but my eyes almost always begins tearing up at those opening strokes or vocals of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings or Agnus Dei.

And even if I don't start tearing up immediately, my eyes are never dry by the end of either piece.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Listening to Tony Sly makes me very sad ever since he passed back in 2012.

His final album, Sad Bear, was already very heartbreaking, but his passing shortly after makes it 10x harder to listen to. This one always gets me right away:

Oct 28, 2017

Brand New - Limousine

Absolutely gutwrenching, especially if you know the story that inspired the lyrics (Basically it's about a child that was killed by a drunk driver ar a family wedding)

"We'll never have to buy adjacent plots of earth
We'll never have to rot together underneath dirt
I'll never have to lose my baby in the crowd
I should be laughing right now..."

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Here's another Big Star track, Holocaust

I originally heard a version of it as a cover in the This Mortal Coil compilation album "It'll End in Tears". The arrangement right from the get is so mournful.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
First song with vocals that comes to mind is Ludovico Einaudi's Nuvole Bianche

And Dead Can Dance's The Host of Seraphim from The Mist OST gets me every time.