• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Okay, so sometime last month, I was listening to Laura Branigan's Self Control (fantastic song, one of my favorite pop songs of the 80s), and I go down to the comments and see some people reference an original version of the song. I was like, "wait, what? This song is a cover of something else?" And sure enough, it seems like the song was a cover of an Italo Disco song of the same name by the artist Raf:

Link because fuck YouTube

Okay, so I listened to it, and I was like, "hey, this is damn good!" and added it to my Italo Disco/Hi-NRG playlist.

Fast forward to tonight where I was listening to another one of Laura Branigan's hits, this time Gloria, and a very similar thing happened: I scroll down to the comments and again see people comparing it to an earlier version. I was like, "wait, this again?" So I look it up and sure enough, another one of Laura Branigan's hits was based on an existing Italian piece (this time actually sung in Italian).

Link because fuck YouTube again

So what about you guys? What were some covers that you had no knowledge of before?

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
At the time, I thought K.D. Langs version of Hallelujah was just a really shitty cover of a Jeff Buckley song.

Now I know better... it's a really shitty cover of a Leonard Cohen song.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This happened with me twice because of Mad Men:

"(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" by Dionne Warwick. I was always just familiar with the Naked Eyes cover.

And then there's "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by The Supremes. Mad Men used a cover by Vanilla Fudge, but I grew up with the Kim Wilde version.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It took me awhile to realize that Sara Bareilles' Take On Me was a cover of Take On Me.

By awhile, I mean like seven years.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I know a lot of people who never knew Hurt wasn't a Johnny Cash song. I knew it wasn't but always thought it was surprising Cash chose to cover it. Came out great but if you had told me beforehand I would have been skeptical.

Oct 27, 2017
I spent at least 20 years not knowing that Manfred Mann's Earth Bands "Blinded by the Light" was a cover of the Bruce Springsteen original.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Didn't know that...
  • Hurt was a Nine Inch Nails song
  • The Man Who Sold The World was a David Bowie song

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
"Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" by They Might Be Giants is the one that really got me when I found out. Always just assumed that was their's.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spent at least 20 years not knowing that Manfred Mann's Earth Bands "Blinded by the Light" was a cover of the Bruce Springsteen original.
This got me thinking about another Mann song, Quinn the Eskimo. Which is a Bob Dylan song. Then you think about All Along the Watchtower, another Dylan song. Any others from Dylan that were made more famous by others?

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I was blown away when I found out Smooth Criminal was not originally done by Alien Ant Farm. Had no idea it was actually a cover of a Michael Jackson song until I randomly heard the bass line one day.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I spent years not knowing that BNL's Lovers in a Dangerous Time was a cover, but now I feel kind of dumb admitting that.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
first one blew my minddddd

tenor.gif

WHAT!?

That Robert Hazard original is pretty rad, but it works better as a synthy pop song.

Jun 10, 2018
Anyone remember Vanessa Williams, "Dreamin", which went on to be a huge hit when it released?

Yeah, that song was actually originally recorded by an unknown band called Guinn:

And if you ask me its the FAR superior version. In fact, Guinn's whole album is great, and its sad to me they never blew up like they should have.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Nirvana's Love Buzz (original by Shoking Blue) & Turnaround (original by Devo)

Gun - Word Up (original by Cameo)

The Clash - I Fought the law (original by Bobby Fuller)

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
The Damned - Eloise

The original (by Paul & Barry Ryan (not to be confused with Paul & Barry Chuckle, or American policitican, Paul Ryan)) came on the radio at some point and I thought someone had done a lazy cover of the Damned song

...Nope!

Burpelson

Oct 25, 2017

Don't know if it really counts as a cover or what because Dead Boys was kind of a splinter band but somehow I never knew about Rocket from the Tombs all these years and Ain't It Fun being a Peter Laughner song.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucked me up when I found out Blondie's Hanging on the Telephonme was a cover, and a really similar one at that:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I only discovered recently that Annie Lennox's famous song No More I Love You's is a cover of an 80s song by The Lover Speaks.

The most well-known version of Everlasting Love in Germany is Sandra's version. In the UK, it's The Love Affair. In the US, it's Carl Carlton.
The original recording is none of these - it's by Robert Knight.
(He didn't write it, though, so arguably all of the versions are equally original.)

One of the signature songs of the 80s is Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun...except it's actually a 1979 song by Robert Hazard.
So all of the indie male artists covering this and thinking they're super original...aren't.