• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Technically speaking, Eminem's "Stan", didn't even know "Thank you" was a thing until much much later.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't know Gangstas' Paradise heavily took from Stevie Wonder's Pasttime Paradise until I heard it in the album the first time. Big realization moment for me.

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
This thread makes me feel seriously old. Old enough that I *don't* recognize many of the covers mentioned, but I definitely remember the originals.

I've thrown out the remake of Hurt to those people who like to be dismissive of and shit on genres they aren't personal fans of - maybe your music idols are a lot more open-minded and appreciative of other styles of music than you.

The one that took me by surprise was It's My Life by No Doubt. It always rang a weird bell with me, and it took years before I remembered that it was a cover of a song I'd been a fan of in the 80s by Talk Talk.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019

is a cover of...

I prefer the cover by Soft Cell because it sounds totally different from the original but has the same energy. The best covers are like that honestly. GOAT is still Devo with their cover of Satisfaction.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I can't remember where I was last year when I heard Don't Turn Around by Tina Turner and realized that the Ace of Base song is a cover.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Oh...and there's also one of the best covers ever by David Bowie:

Is a cover of an Iggy Pop song that Bowie wrote and produced

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Heart's 80s hits "Alone" and "What About Love?" where originally from i-Ten and Toronto in the early 80s:

Also was surprised that Pat Benatar wasn't the first to do "Shadows of the Night". It was done by both Helen Schneider and Rachel Sweet (who many aren't aware, sang the theme song to Clarissa Explains It All) in 1981:

Last edited:

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I was having a rough day last week and this song came up in my spotify playlist. I love Michael but I didnt know this was a cover after all these years.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
London Grammar - Nightcall is a cover of a song by an artist called Kavinsky

never bothered to listen to the original lmao

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing Compares 2 U was originally by Prince

This one is a bit of a funny timeline. Prince originally composed the song and his side project "The Family" released it without any success.

Sinead O'Connor then covered it, successfully. Her and Prince then met, and hated each others guts. Prince then did his version of the song and released it in 1993.

So you have a side project's cover's cover being the lesser known version of the song performed by the more successful artist.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got into the Velly Joonas version early last year and was happy to later find out that it's a cover of another amazing song

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Natalie Imruglia - Torn
Damn, I had no idea about this one.

London Grammar - Nightcall is a cover of a song by an artist called Kavinsky

never bothered to listen to the original lmao
Huh, other way around for me. Never knew London Grammar covered this. I really love the original.

This is the first one I thought of too, and I'm surprised it wasn't even posted until now. Always thought it was Lou Bega's song.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
For a quite some time I was not aware that Renegades of Funk by Rage Against the Machine was a cover of an Afrika Bambaataa song.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Nirvana's Love Buzz (original by Shoking Blue) & Turnaround (original by Devo)

Gun - Word Up (original by Cameo)

The Clash - I Fought the law (original by Bobby Fuller)

I'm quoting myself and digging deeper The Bobby Fuller version of I fought the law is a cover !!! the original is by the crickets

Aya

Okay, so sometime last month, I was listening to Laura Branigan's Self Control (fantastic song, one of my favorite pop songs of the 80s), and I go down to the comments and see some people reference an original version of the song. I was like, "wait, what? This song is a cover of something else?" And sure enough, it seems like the song was a cover of an Italo Disco song of the same name by the artist Raf:

Link because fuck YouTube

Okay, so I listened to it, and I was like, "hey, this is damn good!" and added it to my Italo Disco/Hi-NRG playlist.

Fast forward to tonight where I was listening to another one of Laura Branigan's hits, this time Gloria, and a very similar thing happened: I scroll down to the comments and again see people comparing it to an earlier version. I was like, "wait, this again?" So I look it up and sure enough, another one of Laura Branigan's hits was based on an existing Italian piece (this time actually sung in Italian).

Link because fuck YouTube again

So what about you guys? What were some covers that you had no knowledge of before?

Ohh nooo!!! I never knew Self control was not Laura Braningan's +_+

Was actually happy living that lie, now everytime I wanna listen to it I'll know it's not hers :sigh:

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Heartbeats by Jose Gonzalez (Yep, that one from the Bravia ad with all the bouncing balls) is a cover of a godawful dance track. I know which I prefer!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many, many people still think Jimi Hendrix wrote All Along the Watchtower. I also thought that myself for a number of years.