• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What game is better?

• Adventure

Votes: 197 45.4%
  • Adventure 2

Votes: 237 54.6%

• Total voters

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
SA1 is better in terms of gameplay but SA2 is better in pretty much every other aspect. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with SA2 purely because it's more iconic to me.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I love them both but I think I would give the edge to SA2 because I really like the Sonic/Shadow levels and its chao garden. It also has Escape from the City.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Definitely SA1. SA2's emerald hunting stages are just terrible and Sonic and Shadow feel really stiff to control compared to SA1. The mech stages and chao garden are great though so I'll give it that.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I somewhat regret voting for SA2 despite not having put much time into SA1, but not enough to hook up my Dreamcast again and subject myself to more Sonic to find out if I'm wrong. I just remember hating that hub. Both are bad games though. I knew that even back in the day.

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer the original personally. 2 has several pretty solid Sonic style stages, but the rest of the game isn't that great I feel even if that can also be said about the original. At least its content that wasn't Sonic style gameplay was okay, I felt; not counting Big but at least his segments are pretty short.

I don't care about the Chao Gardens in either game honestly. I also prefer the original game's art direction.

Shizzlee

Oct 27, 2017
Adventure 1 is meh outside of Sonic and Tails. Adventure 2 removed what I hated the most about 1 (Amy and Big), removed the pointless hub worlds, improved the graphics, had a better OST, and improved the Chao system so it wins for me. Adventure 1 was better in certain ways. Sonic stages in Adventure 1 were large and Knuckles emerald radar was better, but as a whole I'm taking Adventure 2.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
SA1 was probably funner throughout with pretty much the whole cast being fun except for Big, while SA2 is hot trash in the mech and treasure hunt levels, aka 2/3rds of the entire goddamn game, but the Sonic and Shadow levels, chao garden, and vs modes hit higher highs.
If i had to pick i'd definitely go for SA2, it's a lot easier to avoid or rush through its terrible parts vs being stuck backtracking through the SA1 train station or trying to remember which random sewer the next upgrade i need happens to be in.

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
2 feels slightly more polished but 1 is just so much better.

Adventure 1's tone feels more in line with the genesis games, it's more charming and a little less edgelordy. Better music. Giving each character their own campaign was good instead of forcing you to switch gametypes constantly. Knuckles' scavenger hunt levels were better both in level design and for the fact the scanner functions for all three emeralds at once rather than going one at a time like in 2.

The open hub exploration was cool and missed in 2.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Chao Garden stuff in 2 more for some reason. So that one.
The part of the game where you played as these edgy animals to collect mats for the Chao Garden really sucked though.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
2. It refined most of the core gameplay and made even the shooting and hunting levels slightly more manageable. The speed levels, which are great in both, are the best of the bunch in 2 as well.

There's some creative things in Adventure 1 that SA2 is missing though.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Depends on my mood, really. Adventure 2 has the better mechanics and speed levels, but I like Adventure 1's tone more overall, which is why I lean towards it. I love both games though.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Both. But if I had to choose one. Adventure Battle 2, man.

Chao Garden is amazing!

(watches for Professor Beef)

OP
OP
bigstef71

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I'm surprised I was in the minority on this one. I knew it would be close but I figured adventure 1 was more popular. All I know is sega really should do a full blown remake of both games.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
Close, but probably 2. Stages work just a bit better than the Adventure fields, though I would love to see them done right (they never have been).

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
The one that had adventure fields and had a slight open world aspect of it. 1 easily. Although 2 is still good, the addition of Shadow and Rouge are just blah. Oh, and the music in 1 is a lot better.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I loved 1 and hated 2. I just remember quitting on some stupid level where I had to find shit on an asteroid or something.

Sonnymuldoon

Jan 2, 2020
Adventure 1 is one of the greatest games of all time. 2 is okay but not anywhere near the complete next gen experience 1 was.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I played Adventure 1 after Adventure 2: Battle (both on GC) and it felt noticeably dated and overall clunkier. Not to mention the significantly worse Chao Garden. Huge disappointment.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Adventure 2.

Chao garden was the best thing to happen to sonic games.

For real.

My god. Sega is sitting on a gold mine, and they don't seem to know it. Tons (or at least dozens!) of other folks, like us, would probably go nuts over a Chao Garden focused budget game, on a handheld or mobile. It's a Sonic-flavored Tamagochi. Guaranteed easy money. I want this so bad! RIP my wallet if they make it a gacha.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think 2 is designed much better overall. The games flow, the stages, characters all better than 1.
SA1 was incredible for it's time, but it does not hold up imo.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Adventure 2 is more polished, has better pacing, the alternate gameplay styles actually feel fleshed out in their own right, and the story is several times better than 1's managed to pull off. I like the concept of Adventure 1 more, and the impact it had at the time was definitely more impressive, but as a game SA2 holds up far better after all this time.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Adventure by far for me! Even just from a fun prespective. I really loved every moment (almost) of Adventure, never clicked the same for A2.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Adventure 1. Nothing is fun in Adventure 2 outside of the Sonic/Shadow stages and Chao Garden. The later Knuckles and Rouge stages are absolutely painful due to a single gameplay change, and the Tails/Eggman stages are slow and boring. Hell, even the camera is worse in SA2.

I'd also argue that SA2 is where the story started to bring the "edgy" cringe that later peaked with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Back when they were new, I was one of those "Adventure 1 is best" people.
After replaying both though... it's Adventure 2 for sure.

1 is better in a lot of ways, but 2 is just a tighter game. Tighter controls, 60fps, longer Sonic levels, better Chao garden (especially with Battle's improvements, though the gardens got a little smaller). The emerald stages were worse, but I liked the shooting stages better than SA1's.
Also SA1 had fishing... awful awful fishing stages.
Amy was unique but they barely used her at all.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 is faster paced with better music, chao garden, and no fishing

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Sonic Adventure 1. Tails was just too much fun. I love the freedom in that game. I just replayed the Steam version, and I still love it :)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer 2. I'm not a huge fan of the non-Sonic/Shadow stages in either game but I think those stages are significantly better in 2 than 1. Also, 2's Chao garden is so awesome